Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In as many words as possible, I was having trouble with my original CD
drive (it got to the point where it wouldn't work at all) so I
replaced it with a generic one from CompUSA.
After installing the new, I discovered that it doesn't work at all
either. I checked the Device Mgr and it said that it was working
properly. I tried uninstalling it, but when I reboot nothing happens
as far as the CD-ROM is concerned ... no wizard no nothing to install
the new drive.
Does anyone have any hints on this problem or is it just time for a
new computer?
I'm not sure if this has any bearing on the problem, but the device
mgr says that the location of both my hard drive and the CD drive are
at (0,0) ... not sure what this means or how to change it if it's
supposed to be changed.

Thankyou,
Jerry

jad

Your using Martian OS- Doors? Is it Doors 2.0?
XP maybe? there is no wizard for optical drives ...Yet.
DM sees it so its enabled.
What dose "My Computer" say about the drive?

"Jerry" <clancy@eartlink.com> wrote in message
> In as many words as possible, I was having trouble with my original
CD
> drive (it got to the point where it wouldn't work at all) so I
> replaced it with a generic one from CompUSA.
> After installing the new, I discovered that it doesn't work at all
> either. I checked the Device Mgr and it said that it was working
> properly. I tried uninstalling it, but when I reboot nothing
happens
> as far as the CD-ROM is concerned ... no wizard no nothing to
install
> the new drive.
> Does anyone have any hints on this problem or is it just time for a
> new computer?
> I'm not sure if this has any bearing on the problem, but the device
> mgr says that the location of both my hard drive and the CD drive
are
> at (0,0) ... not sure what this means or how to change it if it's
> supposed to be changed.
>
> Thankyou,
> Jerry

"Jerry" <clancy@eartlink.com> wrote in message
> In as many words as possible, I was having trouble with my original CD
> drive (it got to the point where it wouldn't work at all) so I
> replaced it with a generic one from CompUSA.
> After installing the new, I discovered that it doesn't work at all
> either. I checked the Device Mgr and it said that it was working
> properly. I tried uninstalling it, but when I reboot nothing happens
> as far as the CD-ROM is concerned ... no wizard no nothing to install
> the new drive.
> Does anyone have any hints on this problem or is it just time for a
> new computer?
> I'm not sure if this has any bearing on the problem, but the device
> mgr says that the location of both my hard drive and the CD drive are
> at (0,0) ... not sure what this means or how to change it if it's
> supposed to be changed.
>
> Thankyou,
> Jerry

You need to set the jumper on the back of the drive. If you have it on the
same cable as the HD set it for slave. If you only have one HD and one CD it
is better to put it on its own IDE connector/cable and set it for master.
You should have received instructions for this with the drive.

Jerry <clancy@eartlink.com> wrote:

>In as many words as possible, I was having trouble with my original
>CD drive (it got to the point where it wouldn't work at all) so I
>replaced it with a generic one from CompUSA.
>After installing the new, I discovered that it doesn't work at all
>either. I checked the Device Mgr and it said that it was working
>properly. I tried uninstalling it, but when I reboot nothing
>happens as far as the CD-ROM is concerned ... no wizard no nothing
>to install the new drive.

That is normal for CD drives and hard disk drives.

>Does anyone have any hints on this problem or is it just time for a
>new computer?

It is always time for a new computer [playing].

>I'm not sure if this has any bearing on the problem, but the device
>mgr says that the location of both my hard drive and the CD drive
>are at (0,0)

I think that might refer to IDE channel, offhand I don't know, others
can tell.

>... not sure what this means or how to change it if
>it's supposed to be changed.

Windows has little to do with it.

What IDE channel is the CD ROM drive connected to? Primarily?
Secondary? Is there a hard disk drive connected to the same channel?

Is the CD ROM drive jumpered as master or slave?

Does the BIOS tell you that the CD drive is set up?

Can you access the CD drive from the DOS prompt? (a proper boot disk
is required).

John Doe wrote:

> Jerry <clancy@eartlink.com> wrote:
>

>>In as many words as possible, I was having trouble with my original
>>CD drive (it got to the point where it wouldn't work at all) so I
>>replaced it with a generic one from CompUSA.
>>After installing the new, I discovered that it doesn't work at all
>>either. I checked the Device Mgr and it said that it was working
>>properly. I tried uninstalling it, but when I reboot nothing
>>happens as far as the CD-ROM is concerned ... no wizard no nothing
>>to install the new drive.
>

> That is normal for CD drives and hard disk drives.
>

>>Does anyone have any hints on this problem or is it just time for a
>>new computer?
>

> It is always time for a new computer [playing].
>

>>I'm not sure if this has any bearing on the problem, but the device
>>mgr says that the location of both my hard drive and the CD drive
>>are at (0,0)
>

> I think that might refer to IDE channel, offhand I don't know, others
> can tell.

It's telling which device number it is on whatever bus/controller it's
living on. In this case it's an IDE port, which can have two devices: 0 and 1.

He apparently has it on the second IDE port, which is how the hard drive
and CD have seemingly 'the same' number. I.E the hard drive is device 0 on
IDE Primary and the CD is device 0 on IDE Secondary.

>>... not sure what this means or how to change it if
>>it's supposed to be changed.
>

> Windows has little to do with it.
>
> What IDE channel is the CD ROM drive connected to? Primarily?
> Secondary? Is there a hard disk drive connected to the same channel?
>
> Is the CD ROM drive jumpered as master or slave?
>
> Does the BIOS tell you that the CD drive is set up?
>
> Can you access the CD drive from the DOS prompt? (a proper boot disk
> is required).

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

>Your using Martian OS- Doors? Is it Doors 2.0?
>XP maybe? there is no wizard for optical drives ...Yet.
>DM sees it so its enabled.
>What dose "My Computer" say about the drive?
My Computer says that the CD drive (D:) is there. When I check the
properties it says that it's functioning correctly. I set it to run
as Master because that's the way the old one was set. Also, I might
add that the old one quit working probably for the same reason that
the new one won't work. If I can just find out why.

>"Jerry" <clancy@eartlink.com> wrote in message
>> In as many words as possible, I was having trouble with my original
>CD
>> drive (it got to the point where it wouldn't work at all) so I
>> replaced it with a generic one from CompUSA.
>> After installing the new, I discovered that it doesn't work at all
>> either. I checked the Device Mgr and it said that it was working
>> properly. I tried uninstalling it, but when I reboot nothing
>happens
>> as far as the CD-ROM is concerned ... no wizard no nothing to
>install
>> the new drive.
>> Does anyone have any hints on this problem or is it just time for a
>> new computer?
>> I'm not sure if this has any bearing on the problem, but the device
>> mgr says that the location of both my hard drive and the CD drive
>are
>> at (0,0) ... not sure what this means or how to change it if it's
>> supposed to be changed.
>>
>> Thankyou,
>> Jerry

jad

Nero installed?
any virtual / image drives installed
nero smart disk?

> >Your using Martian OS- Doors? Is it Doors 2.0?
> >XP maybe? there is no wizard for optical drives ...Yet.
> >DM sees it so its enabled.
> >What dose "My Computer" say about the drive?
> My Computer says that the CD drive (D:) is there. When I check the
> properties it says that it's functioning correctly. I set it to run
> as Master because that's the way the old one was set. Also, I might
> add that the old one quit working probably for the same reason that
> the new one won't work. If I can just find out why.
>

> >"Jerry" <clancy@eartlink.com> wrote in message
> >> In as many words as possible, I was having trouble with my
original
> >CD
> >> drive (it got to the point where it wouldn't work at all) so I
> >> replaced it with a generic one from CompUSA.
> >> After installing the new, I discovered that it doesn't work at
all
> >> either. I checked the Device Mgr and it said that it was working
> >> properly. I tried uninstalling it, but when I reboot nothing
> >happens
> >> as far as the CD-ROM is concerned ... no wizard no nothing to
> >install
> >> the new drive.
> >> Does anyone have any hints on this problem or is it just time for
> >> new computer?
> >> I'm not sure if this has any bearing on the problem, but the
device
> >> mgr says that the location of both my hard drive and the CD drive
> >are
> >> at (0,0) ... not sure what this means or how to change it if it's
> >> supposed to be changed.
> >>
> >> Thankyou,
> >> Jerry

TRENDING THREADS