Modem problems Please help

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2004 4:24:10 AM

Sorry as new to this group, and not sure if I am asking the correct
questions in the correct group, if I have got it wrong please be good enough
to offer directions to the correct site. Many thanks in advance.

Ok, I have installed a new modem as the pc was not fitted with one when
purchased, and all should be Ok, but in the Settings/System/Device
Manager/Modems screen, where it gives my modem as one, 'HSP56 MR (SIS)', if
I go to properties for this device I get the following message:

'This device cannot start (Code 10)'

Now I am presuming this is due to the fact that my 'MightyFAX' application
is not fully installed as it cannot find the modem. The reason for this I
believe is, that as the modem is a PCI, I think that is the correct name?,
type where it is fitted internally in its own special socket, and the
application is only looking for a modem on one of the COM ports it cannot
find the device.

Do I need another application which looks for all types of modem?

If so any suggestions from where to download and what name/type?

Or is my modem still not installed correctly so being unreachable by the PC?

Again if this is the case any ideas on how to correct this?

Again apologies of this is the incorrect site, and many thanks to any who do
offer advice, solutions or help getting to the correct news group.

Cheers Vaughn

More about : modem problems

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2004 4:24:11 AM

"Vaughn" <vaughn.lucock@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Sorry as new to this group, and not sure if I am asking the correct
> questions in the correct group, if I have got it wrong please be good
> enough
> to offer directions to the correct site. Many thanks in advance.
>
> Ok, I have installed a new modem as the pc was not fitted with one when
> purchased, and all should be Ok, but in the Settings/System/Device
> Manager/Modems screen, where it gives my modem as one, 'HSP56 MR (SIS)',
> if
> I go to properties for this device I get the following message:
>
> 'This device cannot start (Code 10)'
>
> Now I am presuming this is due to the fact that my 'MightyFAX' application
> is not fully installed as it cannot find the modem. The reason for this I
> believe is, that as the modem is a PCI, I think that is the correct name?,
> type where it is fitted internally in its own special socket, and the
> application is only looking for a modem on one of the COM ports it cannot
> find the device.
>
> Do I need another application which looks for all types of modem?
>
> If so any suggestions from where to download and what name/type?
>
> Or is my modem still not installed correctly so being unreachable by the
> PC?

Go into your BIOS setup screens and set your onboard serial ports to OFF or
DISABLED. Then reinstall the drivers for the modem, if necessary. If it's
saying the device can't start, it's probably because the serial port of the
modem is in conflict with a serial port on your motherboard. -Dave
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2004 4:26:27 AM

"Vaughn" <vaughn.lucock@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Sorry as new to this group, and not sure if I am asking the correct
> questions in the correct group, if I have got it wrong please be good
enough
> to offer directions to the correct site. Many thanks in advance.
>
> Ok, I have installed a new modem as the pc was not fitted with one when
> purchased, and all should be Ok, but in the Settings/System/Device
> Manager/Modems screen, where it gives my modem as one, 'HSP56 MR (SIS)',
if
> I go to properties for this device I get the following message:
>
> 'This device cannot start (Code 10)'
>
> Now I am presuming this is due to the fact that my 'MightyFAX' application
> is not fully installed as it cannot find the modem. The reason for this I
> believe is, that as the modem is a PCI, I think that is the correct name?,
> type where it is fitted internally in its own special socket, and the
> application is only looking for a modem on one of the COM ports it cannot
> find the device.
>
> Do I need another application which looks for all types of modem?
>
> If so any suggestions from where to download and what name/type?
>
> Or is my modem still not installed correctly so being unreachable by the
PC?

> Again if this is the case any ideas on how to correct this?
>
> Again apologies of this is the incorrect site, and many thanks to any who
do
> offer advice, solutions or help getting to the correct news group.
>
> Cheers Vaughn

PS should have possibly also stated I'm using Windows 2000 pro, as my
operating system.

Cheers again Vaughn
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2004 5:21:11 AM

"Vaughn" <vaughn.lucock@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Ok, I have installed a new modem as the pc was not fitted with one
when
>purchased,

What modem? Make, model, and type please.

>and all should be Ok,

I guess.

>but in the Settings/System/Device
>Manager/Modems screen, where it gives my modem as one, 'HSP56 MR
(SIS)', if
>I go to properties for this device I get the following message:
>
>'This device cannot start (Code 10)'

Why are you doing that?

>Now I am presuming this is due to the fact that my 'MightyFAX'
application
>is not fully installed as it cannot find the modem.

At this point, I get the impression you are trying to troubleshoot a
problem before you tell us what is wrong.

>The reason for this I believe is, that as the modem is a PCI, I
think that is the correct name?,

Highly likely the interface name PCI is correct.

>type where it is fitted internally in its own special socket, and
the
>application is only looking for a modem on one of the COM ports it
cannot
>find the device.

I don't think so.

>Do I need another application which looks for all types of modem?

What do you need the application for?

>If so any suggestions from where to download and what name/type?

I could use more of a description than, I guess, something like
MightyFAX.

What do you want to do with the modem?

>Or is my modem still not installed correctly so being unreachable by
the PC?

That is possible.

>Again if this is the case any ideas on how to correct this?

What are you trying to correct?

A wild guess. Are you trying to send a fax over a broadband modem?

If I were you. First, I would identify what is not working. If
several things are not working, identify one of them which you think
should be solved first. Then tell what that is, tell what is not
working, then I/we might help solve that problem. Concentrate on one
thing at a time.

Now you're using Windows 2000 Pro? On October 30, you were using
Windows XP?

>Again apologies of this is the incorrect site, and many thanks to
any who do
>offer advice, solutions or help getting to the correct news group.
>
>Cheers Vaughn

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2004 9:29:36 AM

Vaughn wrote:

> "Vaughn" <vaughn.lucock@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
>>Sorry as new to this group, and not sure if I am asking the correct
>>questions in the correct group, if I have got it wrong please be good
>
> enough
>
>>to offer directions to the correct site. Many thanks in advance.
>>
>>Ok, I have installed a new modem as the pc was not fitted with one when
>>purchased, and all should be Ok, but in the Settings/System/Device
>>Manager/Modems screen, where it gives my modem as one, 'HSP56 MR (SIS)',
>
> if
>
>>I go to properties for this device I get the following message:
>>
>>'This device cannot start (Code 10)'
>>
>>Now I am presuming this is due to the fact that my 'MightyFAX' application
>>is not fully installed as it cannot find the modem.

No, device manager knows nothing about 'applications', it is giving the
status of 'devices' and the device driver. It's telling you the modem
and/or it's driver has a problem that prevent the driver from operating
properly.

For future reference, see here device manager codes codes:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;125174

In your case, a code (10) means, in general:

"Code 10
If the device has a "FailReasonString" value in its hardware key, that
string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator places
this registry string value there. If there is no "FailReasonString" in the
hardware key, the following generic error message is displayed:

This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have
all the drivers installed. (Code 10)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device."

Which raises the question of whether you installed the driver, or correct
driver, for the modem when you 'installed' it.

> The reason for this I
>>believe is, that as the modem is a PCI, I think that is the correct name?,
>>type where it is fitted internally in its own special socket,

Since you say "own special slot" that's either a CMR or AMR slot, not PCI.

Those are 'software' modems that use the onboard sound chip DSP for the
modem function. The slot connects into that circuitry and is not part of
the PCI bus.

> and the
>>application is only looking for a modem on one of the COM ports it cannot
>>find the device.

The modem, when it works, will emulate a COM port to the rest of the
system. Your software isn't finding it because the driver isn't starting
and, so, there is no modem there for it to find.

>>Do I need another application which looks for all types of modem?

No, you need to find out why the modem you have isn't working.

>>If so any suggestions from where to download and what name/type?
>>
>>Or is my modem still not installed correctly so being unreachable by the
>
> PC?

Bingo.

>>Again if this is the case any ideas on how to correct this?

Not knowing what motherboard or modem it is we're talking about there can't
be any specifics but, in general, check in system info for IRQ conflicts
with the modem. Are there any other devices showing a problem?

Verify you have the correct driver for it. What driver did you use and
where did it come from? They're usually motherboard specific.

A quick google suggests that's an AMR, PCTel, modem (but could be other
formats). So, is that what you're motherboard says to put in there?

>>Again apologies of this is the incorrect site, and many thanks to any who
>
> do
>
>>offer advice, solutions or help getting to the correct news group.
>>
>>Cheers Vaughn
>>

> PS should have possibly also stated I'm using Windows 2000 pro, as my
> operating system.
>
> Cheers again Vaughn

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2004 1:37:14 PM

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "Vaughn" <vaughn.lucock@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry as new to this group, and not sure if I am asking the correct
> > questions in the correct group, if I have got it wrong please be good
> > enough
> > to offer directions to the correct site. Many thanks in advance.
> >
> > Ok, I have installed a new modem as the pc was not fitted with one when
> > purchased, and all should be Ok, but in the Settings/System/Device
> > Manager/Modems screen, where it gives my modem as one, 'HSP56 MR (SIS)',
> > if
> > I go to properties for this device I get the following message:
> >
> > 'This device cannot start (Code 10)'
> >
> > Now I am presuming this is due to the fact that my 'MightyFAX'
application
> > is not fully installed as it cannot find the modem. The reason for this
> > believe is, that as the modem is a PCI, I think that is the correct
name?,
> > type where it is fitted internally in its own special socket, and the
> > application is only looking for a modem on one of the COM ports it
cannot
> > find the device.
> >
> > Do I need another application which looks for all types of modem?
> >
> > If so any suggestions from where to download and what name/type?
> >
> > Or is my modem still not installed correctly so being unreachable by the
> > PC?
> >

> Go into your BIOS setup screens and set your onboard serial ports to OFF
or
> DISABLED. Then reinstall the drivers for the modem, if necessary. If
it's
> saying the device can't start, it's probably because the serial port of
the
> modem is in conflict with a serial port on your motherboard. -Dave

Did this but still not working. Taking some of the points in the other post,
I am using an internal Modem 56K Data Fax Voice V90. As for make unsure, box
only has a letter e on it in blue with arrows going round it.

Convinced I have not fully identified the correct naming of the socket this
device plugs into, its a socket smaller than that if a PCI, and is, as far
as I know, purposely used for modems.

I am not using a Cable or Broadband modem, and I am only using this as a fax
system, I do not often require the use of a fax, but this has been found
useful on a few accessions.

Hope some of hits helps.

Taking the point you made that if the modem cannot start its probably got a
conflict problem, would I have the same message if the modem was installed,
but no application was installed to use this?

the reason I ask is that the MightyFax one I am using states it can not be
used with ISDN, or PICMA type modems, only Normal Modem systems.

Again many thanks for the help offered, Most gratefully appreciated.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2004 1:37:15 PM

> Did this but still not working. Taking some of the points in the other
> post,
> I am using an internal Modem 56K Data Fax Voice V90. As for make unsure,
> box
> only has a letter e on it in blue with arrows going round it.
>
> Convinced I have not fully identified the correct naming of the socket
> this
> device plugs into, its a socket smaller than that if a PCI, and is, as far
> as I know, purposely used for modems.
>
> I am not using a Cable or Broadband modem, and I am only using this as a
> fax
> system, I do not often require the use of a fax, but this has been found
> useful on a few accessions.
>
> Hope some of hits helps.
>
> Taking the point you made that if the modem cannot start its probably got
> conflict problem, would I have the same message if the modem was
> installed,
> but no application was installed to use this?

OK, I take it this is a CMR or AMR slot. If so, you need to pull out the
manual for your motherboard or download it from the web site of the
manufacturer. It's possible your board needs a modem which should have come
with the mainboard. -Dave
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2004 3:43:50 PM

"Vaughn" <vaughn.lucock@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

>... Taking some of the points in the
>other post, I am using an internal Modem 56K Data Fax Voice V90.

Those are generic terms.

>As for make unsure, box only has a letter e on it in blue with
>arrows going round it.

The maker name should be printed somewhere on the box. There should
be a part number also. As far as I know, all product containers/cards
have an alpha and/or numeric part number somewhere.

>Convinced I have not fully identified the correct naming of the
>socket this device plugs into, its a socket smaller than that if a
>PCI, and is, as far as I know, purposely used for modems.
>Taking the point you made that if the modem cannot start its
>probably got a conflict problem, would I have the same message if
>the modem was installed, but no application was installed to use
>this?

Immediately after you install drivers, the device should work
regardless of any software you have installed, unless maybe the
software has startup entries which I guess conceivably could
interfere.

>the reason I ask is that the MightyFax one I am using states it can
>not be used with ISDN, or PICMA type modems, only Normal Modem
>systems.

That is a hardware requirement for the software. Windows can tell
whether the modem is working before/without starting MightyFax.

>Again many thanks for the help offered, Most gratefully
>appreciated.

Modems can be a bear to set up in Windows, in my experience.

Whether the modem is compatible with your version of Windows should
be printed on the box or in the instructions.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2004 5:42:17 PM

Vaughn wrote:

> Sorry as new to this group, and not sure if I am asking the correct
> questions in the correct group, if I have got it wrong please be good enough
> to offer directions to the correct site. Many thanks in advance.
>
> Ok, I have installed a new modem as the pc was not fitted with one when
> purchased, and all should be Ok, but in the Settings/System/Device
> Manager/Modems screen, where it gives my modem as one, 'HSP56 MR (SIS)', if
> I go to properties for this device I get the following message:
>
> 'This device cannot start (Code 10)'
>
> Now I am presuming this is due to the fact that my 'MightyFAX' application
> is not fully installed as it cannot find the modem. The reason for this I
> believe is, that as the modem is a PCI, I think that is the correct name?,
> type where it is fitted internally in its own special socket, and the
> application is only looking for a modem on one of the COM ports it cannot
> find the device.
>
> Do I need another application which looks for all types of modem?
>
> If so any suggestions from where to download and what name/type?
>
> Or is my modem still not installed correctly so being unreachable by the PC?
>
> Again if this is the case any ideas on how to correct this?
>
> Again apologies of this is the incorrect site, and many thanks to any who do
> offer advice, solutions or help getting to the correct news group.
>
> Cheers Vaughn

Sounds like an AMR modem. By any chance is the motherboard an ECS? I
had nightmares trying to install an AMR modem on an ECS board for a
friend. Anyway it sounds like you don't have the drivers installed for
the modem. If it's indeed an AMR modem and an ECS board, the drivers are
on the ECS motherboard CD. If the board is not ECS then I'm not sure
where the drivers are located. You'll need to find them or download them
from the internet with another computer. Your other option would be to
trash the AMR modem and buy a PCI modem. If you have a Fry's near you,
they have an Airlink PCI V92 modem for $9.99. Installs like a charm
without the headache.

Bob
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 19, 2004 2:19:07 AM

"Bob M" <ram1220@vzavenue.net> wrote in message
> Vaughn wrote:
> >
> > Sorry as new to this group, and not sure if I am asking the correct
> > questions in the correct group, if I have got it wrong please be good
enough
> > to offer directions to the correct site. Many thanks in advance.
> >
> > Ok, I have installed a new modem as the pc was not fitted with one when
> > purchased, and all should be Ok, but in the Settings/System/Device
> > Manager/Modems screen, where it gives my modem as one, 'HSP56 MR (SIS)',
if
> > I go to properties for this device I get the following message:
> >
> > 'This device cannot start (Code 10)'
> >
> > Now I am presuming this is due to the fact that my 'MightyFAX'
application
> > is not fully installed as it cannot find the modem. The reason for this
> > believe is, that as the modem is a PCI, I think that is the correct
name?,
> > type where it is fitted internally in its own special socket, and the
> > application is only looking for a modem on one of the COM ports it
cannot
> > find the device.
> >
> > Do I need another application which looks for all types of modem?
> >
> > If so any suggestions from where to download and what name/type?
> >
> > Or is my modem still not installed correctly so being unreachable by the
PC?

> > Again if this is the case any ideas on how to correct this?
> >
> > Again apologies of this is the incorrect site, and many thanks to any
who do
> > offer advice, solutions or help getting to the correct news group.
> >
> > Cheers Vaughn
>
> Sounds like an AMR modem. By any chance is the motherboard an ECS? I
> had nightmares trying to install an AMR modem on an ECS board for a
> friend. Anyway it sounds like you don't have the drivers installed for
> the modem. If it's indeed an AMR modem and an ECS board, the drivers are
> on the ECS motherboard CD. If the board is not ECS then I'm not sure
> where the drivers are located. You'll need to find them or download them
> from the internet with another computer. Your other option would be to
> trash the AMR modem and buy a PCI modem. If you have a Fry's near you,
> they have an Airlink PCI V92 modem for $9.99. Installs like a charm
> without the headache.
>
> Bob

After all the help and suggestions above, I may just go that root.

Found the receipt for the modem, and it is listed there as an AMR, only
detail of make is MR .............T, where the dots are another sticker has
been placed which covers the full name.

The driver I downloaded from 'Driver Guide Tool Kit', which I found on the
internet. Reason for this was that I bought the modem some months ago but
never got to install it, now IO have eth time I cannot find all the bits.

Again thanks for the help, will have another look for a driver, but if not
will get a PCI as you suggest.

Cheers Vaughn
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 19, 2004 5:34:35 AM

"Vaughn" <vaughn.lucock@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>"Bob M" <ram1220@vzavenue.net> wrote in message

>> Sounds like an AMR modem. By any chance is the motherboard an
>> ECS? I had nightmares trying to install an AMR modem on an ECS
>> board for a friend. Anyway it sounds like you don't have the
>> drivers installed for the modem. If it's indeed an AMR modem and
>> an ECS board, the drivers are on the ECS motherboard CD. If the
>> board is not ECS then I'm not sure where the drivers are located.
>> You'll need to find them or download them from the internet with
>> another computer. Your other option would be to trash the AMR
>> modem and buy a PCI modem. If you have a Fry's near you, they
>> have an Airlink PCI V92 modem for $9.99. Installs like a charm
>> without the headache.

>After all the help and suggestions above, I may just go that root.
>Found the receipt for the modem, and it is listed there as an AMR,
>only detail of make is MR .............T, where the dots are
>another sticker has been placed which covers the full name.
>The driver I downloaded from 'Driver Guide Tool Kit', which I found
>on the internet. Reason for this was that I bought the modem some
>months ago but never got to install it, now IO have eth time I
>cannot find all the bits.
>Again thanks for the help, will have another look for a driver, but
>if not will get a PCI as you suggest.

If you have to be stuck with dial-up, get a controller-based modem.
I've heard people say there are some good Windows based modems. I
used to think so too. By my own hard experience, I found out
otherwise. Like others who know, I now know that controller-based
modems are the only way to go with a dial-up connection.

Do it for the kids [playing].

Good luck.
!