Computer won't do anything

My computer is having major problems. When it turns on, all you see is the
wallpaper. There are no icons at all. Pressing keys does nothing. I've put
in the recovery CD, but it says "Function not supported, turn off system", on
a blue screen. This is the CD that came with the computer. Its running
Windows ME and is a Presario 4090US. I would appreciate all ideas.

Alias

If you want to reinstall from the CD, you need to go into the bios and reset
the boot order to CD ROM first and then you can reinstall and it will put
your computer back to how it was when you first bought it, losing all your
data and programs.
--
Alias

"Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer is having major problems. When it turns on, all you see is
> the
> wallpaper. There are no icons at all. Pressing keys does nothing. I've
> put
> in the recovery CD, but it says "Function not supported, turn off system",
> on
> a blue screen. This is the CD that came with the computer. Its running
> Windows ME and is a Presario 4090US. I would appreciate all ideas.

How do I access the bios. I've tried pressing all the "F" keys when I start
it, but nothing happens. I can't do it once the system is booted because I
see nothing on the screen.

"Alias" wrote:

> If you want to reinstall from the CD, you need to go into the bios and reset
> the boot order to CD ROM first and then you can reinstall and it will put
> your computer back to how it was when you first bought it, losing all your
> data and programs.
> --
> Alias
>
> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
> "Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My computer is having major problems. When it turns on, all you see is
> > the
> > wallpaper. There are no icons at all. Pressing keys does nothing. I've
> > put
> > in the recovery CD, but it says "Function not supported, turn off system",
> > on
> > a blue screen. This is the CD that came with the computer. Its running
> > Windows ME and is a Presario 4090US. I would appreciate all ideas.

Before you get too far with this... Do you want to keep anything on your
pc? Do you have any files that you want to save? You may very well
loose ALL the information on your computer if you proceed with a
Recovery Disk, it depends on the make and model of your pc.

What version of Internet Explorer was on your pc before it started
acting up? IE6? If so your Restore Disk has IE5.x and if it restores
without formating and erasing the drive you will still have a hopeless
mess of a mixup of IE files and your problem may get worse instead of
better.

Do you have an ME boot disk? You may be able to boot to a command
prompt and try repairing the installation from there. What did you do
before this problem started? Did you install software or Windows
updates/hotfixes? My hunch is that this might be caused by a broken or
mismatched IE files. You could try to roll back the installation to an
earlier point from the Command Prompt start, or possibly fix IE or other
from the same. If you don't have a boot disk you can get one from
bootdisk.com. Post back with more information. If you don't mind
loosing the information on the drive well then you can use that Restore
disk that came with the pc.

John

Crystal wrote:
> How do I access the bios. I've tried pressing all the "F" keys when I start
> it, but nothing happens. I can't do it once the system is booted because I
> see nothing on the screen.
>
> "Alias" wrote:
>

>>If you want to reinstall from the CD, you need to go into the bios and reset
>>the boot order to CD ROM first and then you can reinstall and it will put
>>your computer back to how it was when you first bought it, losing all your
>>data and programs.
>>--
>>Alias
>>
>>Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
>>Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
>>"Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>My computer is having major problems. When it turns on, all you see is
>>>the
>>>wallpaper. There are no icons at all. Pressing keys does nothing. I've
>>>put
>>>in the recovery CD, but it says "Function not supported, turn off system",
>>>on
>>>a blue screen. This is the CD that came with the computer. Its running
>>>Windows ME and is a Presario 4090US. I would appreciate all ideas.

Alias

Most computers use either F2 or the Del key. Be careful in there and just
change the boot order, nothing else :) When you're done reinstalling
Windows, make sure you set the boot order back as it was (might help to
write it down).
--

> How do I access the bios. I've tried pressing all the "F" keys when I
> start
> it, but nothing happens. I can't do it once the system is booted because
> see nothing on the screen.
>
> "Alias" wrote:
>
>> If you want to reinstall from the CD, you need to go into the bios and
>> reset
>> the boot order to CD ROM first and then you can reinstall and it will put
>> your computer back to how it was when you first bought it, losing all
>> your
>> data and programs.
>> --
>> Alias
>>
>> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
>> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
>> "Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My computer is having major problems. When it turns on, all you see is
>> > the
>> > wallpaper. There are no icons at all. Pressing keys does nothing.
>> > I've
>> > put
>> > in the recovery CD, but it says "Function not supported, turn off
>> > system",
>> > on
>> > a blue screen. This is the CD that came with the computer. Its
>> > running
>> > Windows ME and is a Presario 4090US. I would appreciate all ideas.

Have you tried booting the computer with the CD, i.e. to run the recovery
program?

First, make sure you change the boot device order in the BIOS.

"Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer is having major problems. When it turns on, all you see is
> the
> wallpaper. There are no icons at all. Pressing keys does nothing. I've
> put
> in the recovery CD, but it says "Function not supported, turn off system",
> on
> a blue screen. This is the CD that came with the computer. Its running
> Windows ME and is a Presario 4090US. I would appreciate all ideas.

Usually it tells you at the very beginning (and possibly briefly) - Try the
DEL key, or TAB or some other key as well as the function (Fx) keys.

"Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I access the bios. I've tried pressing all the "F" keys when I
> start
> it, but nothing happens. I can't do it once the system is booted because
> see nothing on the screen.
>
> "Alias" wrote:
>
>> If you want to reinstall from the CD, you need to go into the bios and
>> reset
>> the boot order to CD ROM first and then you can reinstall and it will put
>> your computer back to how it was when you first bought it, losing all
>> your
>> data and programs.
>> --
>> Alias
>>
>> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
>> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
>> "Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My computer is having major problems. When it turns on, all you see is
>> > the
>> > wallpaper. There are no icons at all. Pressing keys does nothing.
>> > I've
>> > put
>> > in the recovery CD, but it says "Function not supported, turn off
>> > system",
>> > on
>> > a blue screen. This is the CD that came with the computer. Its
>> > running
>> > Windows ME and is a Presario 4090US. I would appreciate all ideas.

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/sutra390667.html

Q) How do I enter the BIOS on my Presario?

A) Normally, on a majority of Compaq models BEFORE 2002, you hit F10 at the
Compaq logo (cursor to upper right corner) at bootup. On some newer models,
the key is F1. On the old 7100 Series Presarios with Phoenix BIOS , the
<Del> key is used. If none of the above works, it could mean you have an
earlier model, 1996-early 1997 or earlier, that retains Setup info on a
small non-DOS partition at the front of the hard drive (this partition,
being non-DOS, does not show in Windows Explorer or File Manager), and this
partition is damaged or missing. Most Commercial desktops/notebooks
(DeskPros, Prolineas, Armadas/Elites, etc. of the time) also had this
partition. If this is the case, go here:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/
---

Compaq Presario Desktop PCs - How to Enter the BIOS on a Compaq Presario
Desktop
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpb11735&product=92635&dlc=en&lang=en

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer is having major problems. When it turns on, all you see is
the
> wallpaper. There are no icons at all. Pressing keys does nothing. I've
put
> in the recovery CD, but it says "Function not supported, turn off system",
on
> a blue screen. This is the CD that came with the computer. Its running
> Windows ME and is a Presario 4090US. I would appreciate all ideas.

job

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004

Crystal, (if you are still monitoring this thread.)

I have read that people having the same type problem found
it was caused by the

A Google search for "No desktop icons and taskbar" disclosed
some possible fixes. Check
http://www.win98banter.com/q-t_10675-No-desktop-icons-and-taskbar.html.
I do not understand most of the things they talk about but
there are plenty of people in this newsgroup that have the
ability to interpret the technical info, decide if it
applies to your problem and provide assistance.

Good luck.

Job says, "The only thing I'm sure of is that yesterday
today was tomorrow."

"Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> My computer is having major problems. When it turns on,
all you see is the
> wallpaper. There are no icons at all. Pressing keys does
nothing. I've put
> in the recovery CD, but it says "Function not supported,
turn off system", on
> a blue screen. This is the CD that came with the
computer. Its running
> Windows ME and is a Presario 4090US. I would appreciate
all ideas.

job

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004

Ignore the partial sentence directly below "Crystal, (if you
are still monitoring this thread)

Job says, "These senior moments are embarrassing!"