Computer won't do anything

My computer is having major problems. When it turns on, all you see is the
wallpaper. There are no icons at all. Pressing keys does nothing. I've put
in the recovery CD, but it says "Function not supported, turn off system", on
a blue screen. This is the CD that came with the computer. Its running
Windows ME and is a Presario 4090US. I would appreciate all ideas.
9 answers Last reply
More about computer anything

    If you want to reinstall from the CD, you need to go into the bios and reset
    the boot order to CD ROM first and then you can reinstall and it will put
    your computer back to how it was when you first bought it, losing all your
    data and programs.
    --
    Alias

    "Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer is having major problems. When it turns on, all you see is
    > the
    > wallpaper. There are no icons at all. Pressing keys does nothing. I've
    > put
    > in the recovery CD, but it says "Function not supported, turn off system",
    > on
    > a blue screen. This is the CD that came with the computer. Its running
    > Windows ME and is a Presario 4090US. I would appreciate all ideas.

    How do I access the bios. I've tried pressing all the "F" keys when I start
    it, but nothing happens. I can't do it once the system is booted because I
    see nothing on the screen.

    "Alias" wrote:

    > If you want to reinstall from the CD, you need to go into the bios and reset
    > the boot order to CD ROM first and then you can reinstall and it will put
    > your computer back to how it was when you first bought it, losing all your
    > data and programs.
    > --
    > Alias
    >
    > Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    > Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    > "Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My computer is having major problems. When it turns on, all you see is
    > > the
    > > wallpaper. There are no icons at all. Pressing keys does nothing. I've
    > > put
    > > in the recovery CD, but it says "Function not supported, turn off system",
    > > on
    > > a blue screen. This is the CD that came with the computer. Its running
    > > Windows ME and is a Presario 4090US. I would appreciate all ideas.

    Before you get too far with this... Do you want to keep anything on your
    pc? Do you have any files that you want to save? You may very well
    loose ALL the information on your computer if you proceed with a
    Recovery Disk, it depends on the make and model of your pc.

    What version of Internet Explorer was on your pc before it started
    acting up? IE6? If so your Restore Disk has IE5.x and if it restores
    without formating and erasing the drive you will still have a hopeless
    mess of a mixup of IE files and your problem may get worse instead of
    better.

    Do you have an ME boot disk? You may be able to boot to a command
    prompt and try repairing the installation from there. What did you do
    before this problem started? Did you install software or Windows
    updates/hotfixes? My hunch is that this might be caused by a broken or
    mismatched IE files. You could try to roll back the installation to an
    earlier point from the Command Prompt start, or possibly fix IE or other
    from the same. If you don't have a boot disk you can get one from
    bootdisk.com. Post back with more information. If you don't mind
    loosing the information on the drive well then you can use that Restore
    disk that came with the pc.

    John

    Crystal wrote:
    > How do I access the bios. I've tried pressing all the "F" keys when I start
    > it, but nothing happens. I can't do it once the system is booted because I
    > see nothing on the screen.
    >
    > "Alias" wrote:
    >

    >>If you want to reinstall from the CD, you need to go into the bios and reset
    >>the boot order to CD ROM first and then you can reinstall and it will put
    >>your computer back to how it was when you first bought it, losing all your
    >>data and programs.
    >>--
    >>Alias
    >>
    >>Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    >>Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    >>"Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>My computer is having major problems. When it turns on, all you see is
    >>>the
    >>>wallpaper. There are no icons at all. Pressing keys does nothing. I've
    >>>put
    >>>in the recovery CD, but it says "Function not supported, turn off system",
    >>>on
    >>>a blue screen. This is the CD that came with the computer. Its running
    >>>Windows ME and is a Presario 4090US. I would appreciate all ideas.

    Most computers use either F2 or the Del key. Be careful in there and just
    change the boot order, nothing else :-) When you're done reinstalling
    Windows, make sure you set the boot order back as it was (might help to
    write it down).
    --

    > How do I access the bios. I've tried pressing all the "F" keys when I
    > start
    > it, but nothing happens. I can't do it once the system is booted because
    > see nothing on the screen.
    >
    > "Alias" wrote:
    >
    >> If you want to reinstall from the CD, you need to go into the bios and
    >> reset
    >> the boot order to CD ROM first and then you can reinstall and it will put
    >> your computer back to how it was when you first bought it, losing all
    >> your
    >> data and programs.
    >> --
    >> Alias
    >>
    >> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    >> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    >> "Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My computer is having major problems. When it turns on, all you see is
    >> > the
    >> > wallpaper. There are no icons at all. Pressing keys does nothing.
    >> > I've
    >> > put
    >> > in the recovery CD, but it says "Function not supported, turn off
    >> > system",
    >> > on
    >> > a blue screen. This is the CD that came with the computer. Its
    >> > running
    >> > Windows ME and is a Presario 4090US. I would appreciate all ideas.

    Have you tried booting the computer with the CD, i.e. to run the recovery
    program?

    First, make sure you change the boot device order in the BIOS.

    "Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer is having major problems. When it turns on, all you see is
    > the
    > wallpaper. There are no icons at all. Pressing keys does nothing. I've
    > put
    > in the recovery CD, but it says "Function not supported, turn off system",
    > on
    > a blue screen. This is the CD that came with the computer. Its running
    > Windows ME and is a Presario 4090US. I would appreciate all ideas.

    Usually it tells you at the very beginning (and possibly briefly) - Try the
    DEL key, or TAB or some other key as well as the function (Fx) keys.

    "Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do I access the bios. I've tried pressing all the "F" keys when I
    > start
    > it, but nothing happens. I can't do it once the system is booted because
    > see nothing on the screen.
    >
    > "Alias" wrote:
    >
    >> If you want to reinstall from the CD, you need to go into the bios and
    >> reset
    >> the boot order to CD ROM first and then you can reinstall and it will put
    >> your computer back to how it was when you first bought it, losing all
    >> your
    >> data and programs.
    >> --
    >> Alias
    >>
    >> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    >> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    >> "Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My computer is having major problems. When it turns on, all you see is
    >> > the
    >> > wallpaper. There are no icons at all. Pressing keys does nothing.
    >> > I've
    >> > put
    >> > in the recovery CD, but it says "Function not supported, turn off
    >> > system",
    >> > on
    >> > a blue screen. This is the CD that came with the computer. Its
    >> > running
    >> > Windows ME and is a Presario 4090US. I would appreciate all ideas.

    http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/sutra390667.html

    Q) How do I enter the BIOS on my Presario?

    A) Normally, on a majority of Compaq models BEFORE 2002, you hit F10 at the
    Compaq logo (cursor to upper right corner) at bootup. On some newer models,
    the key is F1. On the old 7100 Series Presarios with Phoenix BIOS , the
    <Del> key is used. If none of the above works, it could mean you have an
    earlier model, 1996-early 1997 or earlier, that retains Setup info on a
    small non-DOS partition at the front of the hard drive (this partition,
    being non-DOS, does not show in Windows Explorer or File Manager), and this
    partition is damaged or missing. Most Commercial desktops/notebooks
    (DeskPros, Prolineas, Armadas/Elites, etc. of the time) also had this
    partition. If this is the case, go here:

    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/
    ---

    Compaq Presario Desktop PCs - How to Enter the BIOS on a Compaq Presario
    Desktop
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpb11735&product=92635&dlc=en&lang=en

    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer is having major problems. When it turns on, all you see is
    the
    > wallpaper. There are no icons at all. Pressing keys does nothing. I've
    put
    > in the recovery CD, but it says "Function not supported, turn off system",
    on
    > a blue screen. This is the CD that came with the computer. Its running
    > Windows ME and is a Presario 4090US. I would appreciate all ideas.

    Crystal, (if you are still monitoring this thread.)

    I have read that people having the same type problem found
    it was caused by the

    A Google search for "No desktop icons and taskbar" disclosed
    some possible fixes. Check
    http://www.win98banter.com/q-t_10675-No-desktop-icons-and-taskbar.html.
    I do not understand most of the things they talk about but
    there are plenty of people in this newsgroup that have the
    ability to interpret the technical info, decide if it
    applies to your problem and provide assistance.

    Good luck.

    Job says, "The only thing I'm sure of is that yesterday
    today was tomorrow."

    "Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    > My computer is having major problems. When it turns on,
    all you see is the
    > wallpaper. There are no icons at all. Pressing keys does
    nothing. I've put
    > in the recovery CD, but it says "Function not supported,
    turn off system", on
    > a blue screen. This is the CD that came with the
    computer. Its running
    > Windows ME and is a Presario 4090US. I would appreciate
    all ideas.

    Ignore the partial sentence directly below "Crystal, (if you
    are still monitoring this thread)

    Job says, "These senior moments are embarrassing!"

    "Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    > My computer is having major problems. When it turns on,
    all you see is the
    > wallpaper. There are no icons at all. Pressing keys does
    nothing. I've put
    > in the recovery CD, but it says "Function not supported,
    turn off system", on
    > a blue screen. This is the CD that came with the
    computer. Its running
    > Windows ME and is a Presario 4090US. I would appreciate
    all ideas.

Computers CD-Rom Windows