Need help adding computer to network

Hello everyone, I'm a rookie abnd could need some help adding my laptop to my
home network.

My situation: I have a AirPlus G+ 2.4GHz Wireless Access Point delivered by
Dlink. I have broadband with a speed at about 2400 kbit/s connected to the
access point. I have two stationary computers in a network which both have
connection to the internet. Both of the stationary computers has one DWL-G122
Wireless USB adapter each which connects to the access point. For my laptop I
have a DBT-120 USB Bluetooth Adapter also delivered by Dlink.

I have checked that the name of my laptop workgroup is the same as my two
stationary computers. I have checked that my «Wireless Network Connection»
has the same SSID and WEP and that all the other options are the same. When I
start my laptop, a bobble in the bottom right corner pops up with the
following text:

«Wireless Network Connection

One or more wireless networks are available.

To see a list of available networks, click here.»

I click the bobble. Under «Available wireless networks:» I see the name of
my home network which both of my stationary computers are connected to. The
network key is already typed in, and I click «Connect». Then I wait about 5
seconds and the same bobble opo up and I am still not connected to the
network, and hence I don't get connected to the internet either.

Can anyone help me?

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Louie wrote:
> Hello everyone, I'm a rookie abnd could need some help adding my laptop to my
> home network.
>
> My situation: I have a AirPlus G+ 2.4GHz Wireless Access Point delivered by
> Dlink. I have broadband with a speed at about 2400 kbit/s connected to the
> access point. I have two stationary computers in a network which both have
> connection to the internet. Both of the stationary computers has one DWL-G122
> Wireless USB adapter each which connects to the access point. For my laptop I
> have a DBT-120 USB Bluetooth Adapter also delivered by Dlink.
>
> I have checked that the name of my laptop workgroup is the same as my two
> stationary computers. I have checked that my «Wireless Network Connection»
> has the same SSID and WEP and that all the other options are the same. When I
> start my laptop, a bobble in the bottom right corner pops up with the
> following text:
>
> «Wireless Network Connection
>
> One or more wireless networks are available.
>
> To see a list of available networks, click here.»
>
> I click the bobble. Under «Available wireless networks:» I see the name of
> my home network which both of my stationary computers are connected to. The
> network key is already typed in, and I click «Connect». Then I wait about 5
> seconds and the same bobble opo up and I am still not connected to the
> network, and hence I don't get connected to the internet either.
>
> Can anyone help me?

Check the firewall settings on the laptop. If necessary turn off the firewall
until the connection problem is fixed.
If that doesn't help... turn OFF encryption at router and laptop. If you can
then connect... you have some issue with the laptop security settings.
Wait a minute. Did you say your laptop is using "Bluetooth" to connect to your
network?

Yes, I am trying to connect my laptop with a bluetooth device. The device is
a DBT-120 USB Bluetooth Adapter delivered by Dlink.

"DanR" wrote:

> Louie wrote:
> > Hello everyone, I'm a rookie abnd could need some help adding my laptop to my
> > home network.
> >
> > My situation: I have a AirPlus G+ 2.4GHz Wireless Access Point delivered by
> > Dlink. I have broadband with a speed at about 2400 kbit/s connected to the
> > access point. I have two stationary computers in a network which both have
> > connection to the internet. Both of the stationary computers has one DWL-G122
> > Wireless USB adapter each which connects to the access point. For my laptop I
> > have a DBT-120 USB Bluetooth Adapter also delivered by Dlink.
> >
> > I have checked that the name of my laptop workgroup is the same as my two
> > stationary computers. I have checked that my «Wireless Network Connection»
> > has the same SSID and WEP and that all the other options are the same. When I
> > start my laptop, a bobble in the bottom right corner pops up with the
> > following text:
> >
> > «Wireless Network Connection
> >
> > One or more wireless networks are available.
> >
> > To see a list of available networks, click here.»
> >
> > I click the bobble. Under «Available wireless networks:» I see the name of
> > my home network which both of my stationary computers are connected to. The
> > network key is already typed in, and I click «Connect». Then I wait about 5
> > seconds and the same bobble opo up and I am still not connected to the
> > network, and hence I don't get connected to the internet either.
> >
> > Can anyone help me?
>
> Check the firewall settings on the laptop. If necessary turn off the firewall
> until the connection problem is fixed.
> If that doesn't help... turn OFF encryption at router and laptop. If you can
> then connect... you have some issue with the laptop security settings.
> Wait a minute. Did you say your laptop is using "Bluetooth" to connect to your
> network?

By the way, my laptop is trying to connect to the network using a Intel(R)
PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PCI Adapter. I don't know if that might help,
but it won't hurt telling it anyway.

"DanR" wrote:

> Louie wrote:
> > Hello everyone, I'm a rookie abnd could need some help adding my laptop to my
> > home network.
> >
> > My situation: I have a AirPlus G+ 2.4GHz Wireless Access Point delivered by
> > Dlink. I have broadband with a speed at about 2400 kbit/s connected to the
> > access point. I have two stationary computers in a network which both have
> > connection to the internet. Both of the stationary computers has one DWL-G122
> > Wireless USB adapter each which connects to the access point. For my laptop I
> > have a DBT-120 USB Bluetooth Adapter also delivered by Dlink.
> >
> > I have checked that the name of my laptop workgroup is the same as my two
> > stationary computers. I have checked that my «Wireless Network Connection»
> > has the same SSID and WEP and that all the other options are the same. When I
> > start my laptop, a bobble in the bottom right corner pops up with the
> > following text:
> >
> > «Wireless Network Connection
> >
> > One or more wireless networks are available.
> >
> > To see a list of available networks, click here.»
> >
> > I click the bobble. Under «Available wireless networks:» I see the name of
> > my home network which both of my stationary computers are connected to. The
> > network key is already typed in, and I click «Connect». Then I wait about 5
> > seconds and the same bobble opo up and I am still not connected to the
> > network, and hence I don't get connected to the internet either.
> >
> > Can anyone help me?
>
> Check the firewall settings on the laptop. If necessary turn off the firewall
> until the connection problem is fixed.
> If that doesn't help... turn OFF encryption at router and laptop. If you can
> then connect... you have some issue with the laptop security settings.
> Wait a minute. Did you say your laptop is using "Bluetooth" to connect to your
> network?

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

I suggest you remove the bluetooth adaptor while trying to troubleshoot your
networking problems. Bluetooth is NOT an 802.11 device.