Results of running Lavasoft Ad-aware 5.7

I occasionally receive a little, unsolicited message in the bottom right-hand
corner of my monitor screen which amounts to advertising or promotion of a
product or service. I subsequently ran my Ad-aware program which detected
the following Spyware components:

Type - F System - Other Details -
C:\Windows\cookies\default@valueclick(2).txt

I am not sure of the proper action to take although I have done my best to
read and understand the applicable literature. Is it o:k to delete without
risk?

I have a Windows Millenium operating system.

Many thanks for your help. This message was sent earlier in incomplete form
and I apologize for this.

Stewart Fluney

Adaware 5.7 ?

If that is the "true" version then since Adaware6 is out-of-date, is no longer supported nor
updated then your version is way too old !

The latest version is Adaware SE v1.05. I highly suggested removing that old version and
installing the new version.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

--
Dave

"Stewart Fluney" <StewartFluney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I occasionally receive a little, unsolicited message in the bottom right-hand
| corner of my monitor screen which amounts to advertising or promotion of a
| product or service. I subsequently ran my Ad-aware program which detected
| the following Spyware components:
|
| Type - F System - Other Details -
| C:\Windows\cookies\default@valueclick(2).txt
|
| I am not sure of the proper action to take although I have done my best to
| read and understand the applicable literature. Is it o:k to delete without
| risk?
|
| I have a Windows Millenium operating system.
|
| Many thanks for your help. This message was sent earlier in incomplete form
| and I apologize for this.
|
| Stewart Fluney

Shane

It's a tracking cookie, ie from an advertiser on some web page you've
visited, that wants to keep track of other sites you go to in order to
profile you. Just delete it. There are a no. of ways to ensure you never get
another of this kind of cookie, but I won't go into them right now. If
you're interested, post back and you'll get plenty of advice.

Meanwhile, Ad-aware 5.7 is very well-out-of-date. If you plan on using
Ad-aware again you should get the current build. Ad-aware 5.7 is no longer
supported - and that means no definition-file updates. Being about 2 years
obsolete, it isn't likely to catch much of what's current.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Shane

"Stewart Fluney" <StewartFluney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I occasionally receive a little, unsolicited message in the bottom
right-hand
> corner of my monitor screen which amounts to advertising or promotion of a
> product or service. I subsequently ran my Ad-aware program which detected
> the following Spyware components:
>
> Type - F System - Other Details -
> C:\Windows\cookies\default@valueclick(2).txt
>
> I am not sure of the proper action to take although I have done my best to
> read and understand the applicable literature. Is it o:k to delete
without
> risk?
>
> I have a Windows Millenium operating system.
>
> Many thanks for your help. This message was sent earlier in incomplete
form
> and I apologize for this.
>
> Stewart Fluney

Dave:

Many thanks for your response and the information provided.

The matter is now complete.

Stewart Fluney

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> Adaware 5.7 ?
>
> If that is the "true" version then since Adaware6 is out-of-date, is no longer supported nor
> updated then your version is way too old !
>
> The latest version is Adaware SE v1.05. I highly suggested removing that old version and
> installing the new version.
>
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>
> --
> Dave
>

> "Stewart Fluney" <StewartFluney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | I occasionally receive a little, unsolicited message in the bottom right-hand
> | corner of my monitor screen which amounts to advertising or promotion of a
> | product or service. I subsequently ran my Ad-aware program which detected
> | the following Spyware components:
> |
> | Type - F System - Other Details -
> | C:\Windows\cookies\default@valueclick(2).txt
> |
> | I am not sure of the proper action to take although I have done my best to
> | read and understand the applicable literature. Is it o:k to delete without
> | risk?
> |
> | I have a Windows Millenium operating system.
> |
> | Many thanks for your help. This message was sent earlier in incomplete form
> | and I apologize for this.
> |
> | Stewart Fluney

TRENDING THREADS