Windows ME startup hardware information database

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 11, 2005 12:43:03 AM

HI,
I have tried about everything I can think of to get this PC to come up. I
can get it to come up in 'safe mode', but every time I try it in 'normal' it
gets to where it wants to update the 'hardware iformation database', and
freezes. I have added no new hardware or anything like that. I can't even get
to where I could disable some items in the Device Manager. I also tried
reloading Windows ME, but when I get all the way through the process and it
gets to where you click 'finish' to start copying files etc. it also freezes.
I'm about ready to smash this thing! Any ideas?? Is there a program such as
'SFC' or anything in ME?
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 10:04:38 AM

Have you been running with the Quack?
Are you running Norton System Quack - - errr - Doctor?
If so, then read on......

You may have up to 32,000 empty OEM*.INF files sitting in your
c:\Windows\INF folder, which prevents any program putting a legitimate *.INF
file in there (it also slow your system down to stop, trying to read them
and sort the [non-existent] contents!).
You need to DELETE all 0byte (and ONLY the 0byte) OEM*.INF files.
look here for information on how to do that , and how to prevent it
happening again (i.e. TURN OFF NORTON SYSTEM DOCTOR - unless you are
actively troubleshooting something)

The Symantec site:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nunt.nsf/docid/200...

also
"Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup, Installing Updates, or
Adding New Hardware"
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q281967)
also
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301540
(which contains the fix for your problem in the NOTE under the patch
description)
Phone your Local MS office, and tell them your problem quoting Q301540 -
they'll either send you the patch, or give you a one-use password, for the
cost of the call.

Good Luck

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"jake909" <jake909@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HI,
> I have tried about everything I can think of to get this PC to come up. I
> can get it to come up in 'safe mode', but every time I try it in 'normal'
> it
> gets to where it wants to update the 'hardware iformation database', and
> freezes. I have added no new hardware or anything like that. I can't even
> get
> to where I could disable some items in the Device Manager. I also tried
> reloading Windows ME, but when I get all the way through the process and
> it
> gets to where you click 'finish' to start copying files etc. it also
> freezes.
> I'm about ready to smash this thing! Any ideas?? Is there a program such
> as
> 'SFC' or anything in ME?
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 9:37:15 PM

You could try the following:

Remove all hardware devices and peripherals, and then go through a process
of adding one device at a time, restart, and let it add the drivers for each
(this make take a bit of time).

Eventually you'll probably get to the point of the system freezing, but if
you've taken note of the devices you've added and in what order, you'll be
able to identify the culprit device.

!