adding a 2nd ME drive

I have my old computer with a dead MB and with ME as the OS on the HD.
I also have just gotten this computer, also with ME as the OS. Here is
the problem: I want to use all the software (such as Word) which is on
the old drive, as well as all the data associated with that software.
And use it right away, without a lot of new installing.

I've heard that I can't just take the drive on the newer computer out,
and replace it with the drive from the old computer, because the
motherboards are different. How do I solve this?

I can add the old drive as a second drive on the newer computer, but
will the software work? The programs on the old drive won't find the
same registry as was on the old computer. Is there some other way?
Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about adding drive

    You have to "move" the installation to new hardware. You already have a
    good grasp and understanding of the logic behind this. Your software
    should survive a "move" operation. Only one registry branch needs to be
    removed and rediscovered and recreated to move an operating system to
    new hardware.

    Well, now others can tell you how to "move" ME. I just confirmed your
    questions and answers. Now on we go... to the enum key...

    John

    Keith wrote:

    > I have my old computer with a dead MB and with ME as the OS on the HD.
    > I also have just gotten this computer, also with ME as the OS. Here is
    > the problem: I want to use all the software (such as Word) which is on
    > the old drive, as well as all the data associated with that software.
    > And use it right away, without a lot of new installing.
    >
    > I've heard that I can't just take the drive on the newer computer out,
    > and replace it with the drive from the old computer, because the
    > motherboards are different. How do I solve this?
    >
    > I can add the old drive as a second drive on the newer computer, but
    > will the software work? The programs on the old drive won't find the
    > same registry as was on the old computer. Is there some other way?
    > Thanks.

    Did you at least try booting to SafeMode with the old drive installed on the
    new system? I would think that Windows would try to resolve some of the
    system differences and update some system files at that time.

    "Keith" <keith129@walla.com> wrote in message
    > I have my old computer with a dead MB and with ME as the OS on the HD.
    > I also have just gotten this computer, also with ME as the OS. Here is
    > the problem: I want to use all the software (such as Word) which is on
    > the old drive, as well as all the data associated with that software.
    > And use it right away, without a lot of new installing.

    It should, probably even in regular boot mode, providing that the drive
    is not on a SCSI controller. Once booted the user could delete the
    whole hardware tree if he is having too many hardware difficulties.
    Windows should re-enumerate the hardware on reboot.

    WINDOWS 98/98SE/ME PROCEDURES
    CHANGING MOTHERBOARDS & KEEPING WINDOWS
    http://www.windowsreinstall.co.uk/install/other/motherboard/win98me.htm

    John

    Ogg wrote:
    > Did you at least try booting to SafeMode with the old drive installed on the
    > new system? I would think that Windows would try to resolve some of the
    > system differences and update some system files at that time.
    >

    > "Keith" <keith129@walla.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have my old computer with a dead MB and with ME as the OS on the HD.
    >>I also have just gotten this computer, also with ME as the OS. Here is
    >>the problem: I want to use all the software (such as Word) which is on
    >>the old drive, as well as all the data associated with that software.
    >>And use it right away, without a lot of new installing.

Computers Software Windows