new (old) system refuses to work

Hi! I decided to build a system from the components I used to have on my
main machine and am having problems. The system sends no signal to the
monitor. I changed video cards but it did not help. I haven't used the
motherboard in over a year. Could it be that the motherboard is dead?
Thanks
22 answers Last reply
More about system refuses work

    "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi! I decided to build a system from the components I used to have on my
    > main machine and am having problems. The system sends no signal to the
    > monitor. I changed video cards but it did not help. I haven't used the
    > motherboard in over a year. Could it be that the motherboard is dead?
    > Thanks

    Geez, I'm gonna have to put this in my sig. Most common complaint is "no
    video". Many things have to happen before video. Check the basics. When
    you turn on a computer, several things happen . . .

    - CPU waits for good power signal (so power supply and mainboard and CPU
    must be good)
    - CPU starts running POST program stored in BIOS (mainboard, CPU and RAM
    must be good)
    - After POST, video card is initialized. (at this point, you might get
    video, showing various hardware detected and system checking RAM)
    - Finally, CPU looks for OS to boot, using boot order stored in CMOS

    You are stuck somewhere in step one or two, as your video card is not
    getting initialized. Thus, your computer is not POSTing, or not finishing
    POST. If you are getting nothing (not even error beeps) then you need to
    start from scratch and check ALL your cables, make sure your power supply
    isn't dead, and make sure ALL the jumpers on the mainboard are set properly.
    Your mainboard could be dead, but this is somewhat unlikely. Most likely,
    you have a loose cable, or a cable improperly installed. -Dave

    Peter:

    > Hi! I decided to build a system from the components I used to have on my
    > main machine and am having problems. The system sends no signal to the
    > monitor. I changed video cards but it did not help. I haven't used the
    > motherboard in over a year. Could it be that the motherboard is dead?

    what are the components?

    --
    Mac Cool

    All fans are working, so the power supply is fine. I removed the CPU fan,
    turned the system on for 10 sec or so, the CPU started getting hot, so I
    guess the motherboard is not dead. However, I am getting no beeps when I
    turn it on....
    Thanks

    "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

    > "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi! I decided to build a system from the components I used to have on my
    > > main machine and am having problems. The system sends no signal to the
    > > monitor. I changed video cards but it did not help. I haven't used the
    > > motherboard in over a year. Could it be that the motherboard is dead?
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > Geez, I'm gonna have to put this in my sig. Most common complaint is "no
    > video". Many things have to happen before video. Check the basics. When
    > you turn on a computer, several things happen . . .
    >
    > - CPU waits for good power signal (so power supply and mainboard and
    CPU
    > must be good)
    > - CPU starts running POST program stored in BIOS (mainboard, CPU and
    RAM
    > must be good)
    > - After POST, video card is initialized. (at this point, you might get
    > video, showing various hardware detected and system checking RAM)
    > - Finally, CPU looks for OS to boot, using boot order stored in CMOS
    >
    > You are stuck somewhere in step one or two, as your video card is not
    > getting initialized. Thus, your computer is not POSTing, or not finishing
    > POST. If you are getting nothing (not even error beeps) then you need to
    > start from scratch and check ALL your cables, make sure your power supply
    > isn't dead, and make sure ALL the jumpers on the mainboard are set
    properly.
    > Your mainboard could be dead, but this is somewhat unlikely. Most likely,
    > you have a loose cable, or a cable improperly installed. -Dave

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 02:20:59 GMT The moonlight laughed on the blade's
    edge when "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote :

    >All fans are working, so the power supply is fine. I removed the CPU fan,
    >turned the system on for 10 sec or so, the CPU started getting hot, so I
    >guess the motherboard is not dead. However, I am getting no beeps when I
    >turn it on....
    >Thanks

    Take the board out of the system and try powering it up to check that
    it's not grounding to the case.
    Also pull the power rom the board,change CMOS battery and then clear
    the CMOS and then add power back to the board.
    HTH :)

    >"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi! I decided to build a system from the components I used to have on my
    >> > main machine and am having problems. The system sends no signal to the
    >> > monitor. I changed video cards but it did not help. I haven't used the
    >> > motherboard in over a year. Could it be that the motherboard is dead?
    >> > Thanks
    >> >

    >> Geez, I'm gonna have to put this in my sig. Most common complaint is "no
    >> video". Many things have to happen before video. Check the basics. When
    >> you turn on a computer, several things happen . . .
    >>
    >> - CPU waits for good power signal (so power supply and mainboard and
    >CPU
    >> must be good)
    >> - CPU starts running POST program stored in BIOS (mainboard, CPU and
    >RAM
    >> must be good)
    >> - After POST, video card is initialized. (at this point, you might get
    >> video, showing various hardware detected and system checking RAM)
    >> - Finally, CPU looks for OS to boot, using boot order stored in CMOS
    >>
    >> You are stuck somewhere in step one or two, as your video card is not
    >> getting initialized. Thus, your computer is not POSTing, or not finishing
    >> POST. If you are getting nothing (not even error beeps) then you need to
    >> start from scratch and check ALL your cables, make sure your power supply
    >> isn't dead, and make sure ALL the jumpers on the mainboard are set
    >properly.
    >> Your mainboard could be dead, but this is somewhat unlikely. Most likely,
    >> you have a loose cable, or a cable improperly installed. -Dave

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply

    I think the CMOS battery might be the reason. I haven't used this board in
    over a year. Could the battery lose its charge?

    "Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 02:20:59 GMT The moonlight laughed on the blade's
    > edge when "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote :
    >
    > >All fans are working, so the power supply is fine. I removed the CPU fan,
    > >turned the system on for 10 sec or so, the CPU started getting hot, so I
    > >guess the motherboard is not dead. However, I am getting no beeps when I
    > >turn it on....
    > >Thanks
    >
    > Take the board out of the system and try powering it up to check that
    > it's not grounding to the case.
    > Also pull the power rom the board,change CMOS battery and then clear
    > the CMOS and then add power back to the board.
    > HTH :)
    >

    > >"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> >

    > >> Geez, I'm gonna have to put this in my sig. Most common complaint is
    "no
    > >> video". Many things have to happen before video. Check the basics.
    When
    > >> you turn on a computer, several things happen . . .
    > >>
    > >> - CPU waits for good power signal (so power supply and mainboard
    and
    > >CPU
    > >> must be good)
    > >> - CPU starts running POST program stored in BIOS (mainboard, CPU
    and
    > >RAM
    > >> must be good)
    > >> - After POST, video card is initialized. (at this point, you might
    get
    > >> video, showing various hardware detected and system checking RAM)
    > >> - Finally, CPU looks for OS to boot, using boot order stored in CMOS
    > >>
    > >> You are stuck somewhere in step one or two, as your video card is not
    > >> getting initialized. Thus, your computer is not POSTing, or not
    finishing
    > >> POST. If you are getting nothing (not even error beeps) then you need
    > >> start from scratch and check ALL your cables, make sure your power
    supply
    > >> isn't dead, and make sure ALL the jumpers on the mainboard are set
    > >properly.
    > >> Your mainboard could be dead, but this is somewhat unlikely. Most
    likely,
    > >> you have a loose cable, or a cable improperly installed. -Dave
    > >>

    > --
    > Free Windows/PC help,
    > remove obvious to reply
    > email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
    > Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)
    > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

    Could the battery lose its charge?

    yes

    > I think the CMOS battery might be the reason. I haven't used this
    board in
    > over a year. ?
    >

    > "Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 02:20:59 GMT The moonlight laughed on the
    blade's
    > > edge when "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote :
    > >
    > > >All fans are working, so the power supply is fine. I removed the
    CPU fan,
    > > >turned the system on for 10 sec or so, the CPU started getting
    hot, so I
    > > >guess the motherboard is not dead. However, I am getting no beeps
    when I
    > > >turn it on....
    > > >Thanks
    > >
    > > Take the board out of the system and try powering it up to check
    that
    > > it's not grounding to the case.
    > > Also pull the power rom the board,change CMOS battery and then
    clear
    > > the CMOS and then add power back to the board.
    > > HTH :)
    > >

    > > >"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

    > my
    > the
    > the

    > "no
    > When

    > and
    > > >CPU
    (mainboard, CPU
    > and
    > > >RAM
    > get
    RAM)

    > finishing
    > supply
    > > >properly.
    Most
    > likely,
    > > >>

    > > --
    > > Free Windows/PC help,
    > > http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
    > > remove obvious to reply
    > > email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
    > > Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)
    > > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 02:31:40 GMT The moonlight laughed on the blade's
    edge when "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote :

    >I think the CMOS battery might be the reason. I haven't used this board in
    >over a year. Could the battery lose its charge?

    Yes.ATX powered systems have a residual current applied across the
    CMOS battery when the power supply is plugged into the back of the
    system even if the system isn't on.This keeps a trickle charge to the
    battery.Depending on the state of the battery it may accept a charge
    however for the cost of a new one it's not worth the hassle.
    The most common are the 2032 and you can get them loads of places even
    ADSA/Wallmart/Staples office supplies chains etc.

    >"Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 02:20:59 GMT The moonlight laughed on the blade's
    >> edge when "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote :
    >>
    >> >All fans are working, so the power supply is fine. I removed the CPU fan,
    >> >turned the system on for 10 sec or so, the CPU started getting hot, so I
    >> >guess the motherboard is not dead. However, I am getting no beeps when I
    >> >turn it on....
    >> >Thanks
    >>
    >> Take the board out of the system and try powering it up to check that
    >> it's not grounding to the case.
    >> Also pull the power rom the board,change CMOS battery and then clear
    >> the CMOS and then add power back to the board.
    >> HTH :)
    >>

    >> >"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

    >my
    >the
    >the

    >"no
    >When

    >and
    >> >CPU
    >and
    >> >RAM
    >get

    >finishing
    >supply
    >> >properly.
    >likely,
    >> >>

    >> --
    >> Free Windows/PC help,
    >> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
    >> remove obvious to reply
    >> email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
    >> Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)
    >> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply
    email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
    Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)

    and where can I buy one?
    Thanks

    "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    > Could the battery lose its charge?
    >

    > yes
    >

    > "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > I think the CMOS battery might be the reason. I haven't used this
    > board in
    > > over a year. ?
    > >

    > > "Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 02:20:59 GMT The moonlight laughed on the
    > blade's

    > CPU fan,
    > hot, so I
    > when I
    > > >
    > > > Take the board out of the system and try powering it up to check
    > that
    > > > it's not grounding to the case.
    > > > Also pull the power rom the board,change CMOS battery and then
    > clear
    > > > the CMOS and then add power back to the board.
    > > > HTH :)

    > have on
    > > my
    > signal to
    > > the
    > used
    > > the
    > is dead?

    > complaint is
    > > "no
    > basics.
    > > When

    > mainboard
    > > and
    > (mainboard, CPU
    > > and
    > you might
    > > get
    > RAM)
    > in CMOS

    > is not
    > not
    > > finishing
    > you need
    > power
    > > supply
    > set
    > Most
    > > likely,
    > > > >>

    > > > --
    > > > Free Windows/PC help,
    > > > http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
    > > > remove obvious to reply
    > > > email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
    > > > Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)
    > > > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

    Ok. I changed the battery (took one from another system that worked 5 min
    ago), reset CMOS settings, took the MB out of the case, and powered it up.
    All fans were working but once again there was no beep and no signs of life
    on the monitor. Any ideas?
    Thanks

    > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 02:31:40 GMT The moonlight laughed on the blade's
    > edge when "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote :
    >
    > >I think the CMOS battery might be the reason. I haven't used this board
    in
    > >over a year. Could the battery lose its charge?
    >
    > Yes.ATX powered systems have a residual current applied across the
    > CMOS battery when the power supply is plugged into the back of the
    > system even if the system isn't on.This keeps a trickle charge to the
    > battery.Depending on the state of the battery it may accept a charge
    > however for the cost of a new one it's not worth the hassle.
    > The most common are the 2032 and you can get them loads of places even
    > ADSA/Wallmart/Staples office supplies chains etc.
    >

    > >"Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

    > >> Take the board out of the system and try powering it up to check that
    > >> it's not grounding to the case.
    > >> Also pull the power rom the board,change CMOS battery and then clear
    > >> the CMOS and then add power back to the board.
    > >> HTH :)

    > >my
    > >the
    > >the

    > >"no
    > >When

    > >and
    > >and
    > >get
    CMOS

    > >finishing
    > >supply
    > >likely,
    > >> >>

    > >> --
    > >> Free Windows/PC help,
    > >> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
    > >> remove obvious to reply
    > >> email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
    > >> Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)
    > >> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm
    > >

    > --
    > Free Windows/PC help,
    > remove obvious to reply
    > email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
    > Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)
    > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

    integrated graphics? Or PCI card.
    Integrated make sure its enabled in the bios
    PCI - move it to another slot.
    If the machine has been sitting for a while, remove all cards and
    memory and reseat them.

    > Ok. I changed the battery (took one from another system that worked
    5 min
    > ago), reset CMOS settings, took the MB out of the case, and powered
    it up.
    > All fans were working but once again there was no beep and no signs
    of life
    > on the monitor. Any ideas?
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 02:31:40 GMT The moonlight laughed on the
    blade's
    > > edge when "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote :
    > >
    > > >I think the CMOS battery might be the reason. I haven't used this
    board
    > in
    > > >over a year. Could the battery lose its charge?
    > >
    > > Yes.ATX powered systems have a residual current applied across the
    > > CMOS battery when the power supply is plugged into the back of the
    > > system even if the system isn't on.This keeps a trickle charge to
    the
    > > battery.Depending on the state of the battery it may accept a
    charge
    > > however for the cost of a new one it's not worth the hassle.
    > > The most common are the 2032 and you can get them loads of places
    even
    > > ADSA/Wallmart/Staples office supplies chains etc.
    > >

    > > >"Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

    > fan,

    > on
    > > >my
    > > >the
    > > >the
    > dead?

    > is
    > > >"no
    > > >When

    > > >and
    > > >and
    > might
    > > >get
    RAM)
    > CMOS

    > not
    > > >finishing
    then you
    > need
    > > >supply
    Most
    > > >likely,
    nstalled. -Dave

    > > --
    > > Free Windows/PC help,
    > > http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
    > > remove obvious to reply
    > > email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
    > > Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)
    > > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

    It's an AGP card - Albratron nVidia FX5600 128MB. I've tried replacing
    cards, taking out the memory - same results....

    > integrated graphics? Or PCI card.
    > Integrated make sure its enabled in the bios
    > PCI - move it to another slot.
    > If the machine has been sitting for a while, remove all cards and
    > memory and reseat them.
    >

    > "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Ok. I changed the battery (took one from another system that worked
    > 5 min
    > > ago), reset CMOS settings, took the MB out of the case, and powered
    > it up.
    > > All fans were working but once again there was no beep and no signs
    > of life
    > > on the monitor. Any ideas?
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > "Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 02:31:40 GMT The moonlight laughed on the
    > blade's

    > board
    > > in
    > > >
    > > > Yes.ATX powered systems have a residual current applied across the
    > > > CMOS battery when the power supply is plugged into the back of the
    > > > system even if the system isn't on.This keeps a trickle charge to
    > the
    > > > battery.Depending on the state of the battery it may accept a
    > charge
    > > > however for the cost of a new one it's not worth the hassle.
    > > > The most common are the 2032 and you can get them loads of places
    > even
    > > > ADSA/Wallmart/Staples office supplies chains etc.

    > blade's

    > the CPU
    > > fan,
    > hot, so
    > beeps when

    > check that
    > clear

    > to have
    > > on
    > signal to
    > haven't used
    > motherboard is
    > > dead?

    > complaint
    > > is
    > basics.

    > mainboard
    > (mainboard, CPU
    > you
    > > might
    > RAM)
    > stored in
    > > CMOS

    > card is
    > > not
    > not
    > then you
    > > need
    > power
    > are set
    > Most
    > nstalled. -Dave

    > > > --
    > > > Free Windows/PC help,
    > > > http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
    > > > remove obvious to reply
    > > > email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
    > > > Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)
    > > > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

    After reading all the posts, I have to say it is very very likely the mb is
    dead.
    Do you have another mb? try to same video card on the mb and test it.

    "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
    :Xecnd.3288$Qh3.1059@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    > Hi! I decided to build a system from the components I used to have on my
    > main machine and am having problems. The system sends no signal to the
    > monitor. I changed video cards but it did not help. I haven't used the
    > motherboard in over a year. Could it be that the motherboard is dead?
    > Thanks

    "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<Xecnd.3288$Qh3.1059@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...

    > I decided to build a system from the components I used to have on my
    > main machine and am having problems. The system sends no signal to the
    > monitor. I changed video cards but it did not help. I haven't used the
    > motherboard in over a year.

    Is the motherboard shorted to the case because of a missing fiber
    washer or support?

    Did you damage it with static electricity? What anti-static
    precautions did you take -- work barefoot, have everything on an
    anti-static surface, wear an anti-static wrist strap and use it
    properly?

    Try hitting the reset button several times.

    You can check for signs of life with an AM radio tuned to a dead spot
    and
    held next to the motherboard, and the interference should change sound
    as the computer goes through its power-on tests or when you hit the
    reset button. The radio may have to be tuned to various dead spots
    and tried in different positions and orientations to pick up anything,
    and you want the monitor to be turned off because it creates a great
    deal of interference itself.

    AGP video cards can easily pull out of their sockets from slight
    movement of the case, but that alone should cause the computer to beep
    on boot.

    > All fans are working, so the power supply is fine.

    The correct conclusion is: since all fans are working, the power
    supply isn't 100% dead because spinning fans only indicate the +12V
    output is putting out enough voltage to spin the fans, or at least
    4-6V. You should measure all the voltages to verify that the positive
    ones are all within 5% of nominal values (negative voltages are
    irrelevant).

    > I removed the CPU fan, turned the system on for 10 sec or so, the CPU
    > started getting hot, so I guess the motherboard is not dead.

    I hope you mean you removed only the fan and not the heatsink. which
    can destroy AMD CPUs in 1 second.

    The CMOS battery isn't necessary to make the computer boot, but you
    can buy one from any place that sells wristwatch or calculator
    batteries, $1-3, with Fry's may being among the cheapest.

    > All fans are working, so the power supply is fine. I removed the CPU fan,
    > turned the system on for 10 sec or so, the CPU started getting hot, so I
    > guess the motherboard is not dead. However, I am getting no beeps when I
    > turn it on....
    > Thanks

    Fans are very forgiving, voltage wise. I wouldn't be surprised if the CPU
    is dead now, though. -Dave
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > and where can I buy one?
    > Thanks

    Radio Shack or CVS. -Dave
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Got some memory in it?
    Got a keyboard plugged into the keyboard slot?
    Lights flash on keyboard when booting?
    Got a video cable plugged in?
    Got power turned on to the monitor?
    Got a floppy conected?
    Got the floppy cable the right way around?
    Something simple is more than likely the reason..........

    > It's an AGP card - Albratron nVidia FX5600 128MB. I've tried replacing
    > cards, taking out the memory - same results....
    >
    > "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    > > integrated graphics? Or PCI card.
    > > Integrated make sure its enabled in the bios
    > > PCI - move it to another slot.
    > > If the machine has been sitting for a while, remove all cards and
    > > memory and reseat them.
    > >

    > > "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > > Ok. I changed the battery (took one from another system that worked
    > > 5 min
    > > > ago), reset CMOS settings, took the MB out of the case, and powered
    > > it up.
    > > > All fans were working but once again there was no beep and no signs
    > > of life
    > > > on the monitor. Any ideas?
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > > "Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > blade's

    > > board
    > > > in

    > > the
    > > charge
    > > even

    > > blade's

    > > the CPU
    > > > fan,
    > > hot, so
    > > beeps when

    > > check that
    > > clear

    > > to have
    > > > on
    > > signal to
    > > haven't used
    > > motherboard is
    > > > dead?

    > > complaint
    > > > is
    > > basics.

    > > mainboard
    > > (mainboard, CPU
    > > you
    > > > might
    > > RAM)
    > > stored in
    > > > CMOS

    > > card is
    > > > not
    > > not
    > > then you
    > > > need
    > > power
    > > are set
    > > Most
    > > nstalled. -Dave

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Yes, there's memory in it. I've tried every slot.

    Yes, the keyboard is plugged in

    Yes, the lights on the keyboard flash when booting

    Yes, the video cable is in

    Yes, the monitor is on

    Why do I need a floppy to boot?

    "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Got some memory in it?
    > Got a keyboard plugged into the keyboard slot?
    > Lights flash on keyboard when booting?
    > Got a video cable plugged in?
    > Got power turned on to the monitor?
    > Got a floppy conected?
    > Got the floppy cable the right way around?
    > Something simple is more than likely the reason..........
    >

    > "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > It's an AGP card - Albratron nVidia FX5600 128MB. I've tried replacing
    > > cards, taking out the memory - same results....
    > >
    > > "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > integrated graphics? Or PCI card.
    > > > Integrated make sure its enabled in the bios
    > > > PCI - move it to another slot.
    > > > If the machine has been sitting for a while, remove all cards and
    > > > memory and reseat them.
    > > >

    > > > "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > > 5 min
    > > > it up.
    > > > of life

    > > > blade's

    > > > board

    > > > the
    > > > charge
    > > > even

    > > > blade's

    > > > the CPU
    > > > hot, so
    > > > beeps when

    > > > check that
    > > > clear

    > > > to have
    > > > signal to
    > > > haven't used
    > > > motherboard is

    > > > complaint
    > > > basics.

    > > > mainboard
    > > > (mainboard, CPU
    > > > you
    > > > RAM)
    > > > stored in

    > > > card is
    > > > not
    > > > then you
    > > > power
    > > > are set
    > > > Most
    > > > nstalled. -Dave

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    to boot to something(Os) yes
    to see the post screen no

    > Yes, there's memory in it. I've tried every slot.
    >
    > Yes, the keyboard is plugged in
    >
    > Yes, the lights on the keyboard flash when booting
    >
    > Yes, the video cable is in
    >
    > Yes, the monitor is on
    >
    > Why do I need a floppy to boot?
    >

    > "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Got some memory in it?
    > > Got a keyboard plugged into the keyboard slot?
    > > Lights flash on keyboard when booting?
    > > Got a video cable plugged in?
    > > Got power turned on to the monitor?
    > > Got a floppy conected?
    > > Got the floppy cable the right way around?
    > > Something simple is more than likely the reason..........
    > >

    > > "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > > It's an AGP card - Albratron nVidia FX5600 128MB. I've tried
    replacing
    > > > cards, taking out the memory - same results....
    > > >
    > > > "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message

    Check the

    POSTing, or

  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Exactly. I don't need a floppy to see the post screen but there's still
    nothing on the monitor and the monitor's power light is yellow, which means
    there's no signal at all. I guess I'll end up buying a new motherboard....

    > to boot to something(Os) yes
    > to see the post screen no
    >
    > "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Yes, there's memory in it. I've tried every slot.
    > >
    > > Yes, the keyboard is plugged in
    > >
    > > Yes, the lights on the keyboard flash when booting
    > >
    > > Yes, the video cable is in
    > >
    > > Yes, the monitor is on
    > >
    > > Why do I need a floppy to boot?
    > >

    > > "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Got some memory in it?
    > > > Got a keyboard plugged into the keyboard slot?
    > > > Lights flash on keyboard when booting?
    > > > Got a video cable plugged in?
    > > > Got power turned on to the monitor?
    > > > Got a floppy conected?
    > > > Got the floppy cable the right way around?
    > > > Something simple is more than likely the reason..........
    > > >

    > > > "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > replacing

    > and

    > worked
    > powered
    > no signs

    > the

    > used this

    > across the
    > back of the
    > charge to
    > accept a
    > hassle.
    > places

    > on the

    > removed
    > getting
    > getting no

    > and then

    > components I used
    > sends no
    > help. I

    > common
    > Check the

    > supply and
    > this point,
    > checking
    > order

    > video
    > POSTing, or
    > beeps)
    > sure your
    > mainboard
    > unlikely.

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    well other than the simple diagnosis of 'fans spin power supply is
    good" which doesn't 'conclusively rule out he PSU, it seems the MB
    isn't doing to well. . Have you cleaned the contacts of the cards and
    slots?/

    > Exactly. I don't need a floppy to see the post screen but there's
    still
    > nothing on the monitor and the monitor's power light is yellow,
    which means
    > there's no signal at all. I guess I'll end up buying a new
    motherboard....

    > "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    > > to boot to something(Os) yes
    > > to see the post screen no
    > >
    > > "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > > Yes, there's memory in it. I've tried every slot.
    > > >
    > > > Yes, the keyboard is plugged in
    > > >
    > > > Yes, the lights on the keyboard flash when booting
    > > >
    > > > Yes, the video cable is in
    > > >
    > > > Yes, the monitor is on
    > > >
    > > > Why do I need a floppy to boot?
    > > >

    > > > "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > replacing

    > > and

    > > worked
    > > powered
    > > no signs

    > > the

    > > used this

    > > across the
    > > back of the
    > > charge to
    > > accept a
    > > hassle.
    > > places

    > > on the

    > > removed
    > > getting
    > > getting no

    > > and then

    > > components I used
    > > sends no
    > > help. I

    Most
    > > common
    > > Check the
    .. .

    > > supply and
    BIOS
    > > this point,
    > > checking
    > > order

    > > video
    > > POSTing, or
    > > beeps)
    > > sure your
    > > mainboard
    > > unlikely.

  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Peter wrote:

    > and where can I buy one?

    Chez McBat;-)

    > "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Could the battery lose its charge?
    >>

    >>yes

  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 05:07:09 GMT The moonlight laughed on the blade's
    edge when "Peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote :

    >It's an AGP card - Albratron nVidia FX5600 128MB. I've tried replacing
    >cards, taking out the memory - same results....

    If you have an older less powerful AGP card try that.Your power supply
    may not be up to the above card's current draw :/
    I keep an old SIS AGP 8 meg card for testing/building PCs.

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply
    email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
    Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)

Homebuilt Motherboards Systems