upgrading problems

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

I'm running windows 98 and i recently tried to upgrade to windowsme. I know
that the disk is good (as i used it to upgrade my laptop). however on my pc
i get an error message SU0410. There is a file missing or corrupted
c\wininsto400. The other suggestion is that there is not enough space, but
this is impossible so it's this file. I tried to re-install windows98 to
correct the error, but it too would not install due to the same error. what
can i do?

Peter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

"SU" Error Message List for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me Setup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129971

SU0410
Error SU0410
Cannot open X. This file may be missing or damaged, or there may not be
enough memory to continue. Free some memory and then try again. Setup will
now close.
For additional information about this error message, click the article
number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
189143 PRB: Error During Preinstallation of Third-Party Driver

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Peter Brown" <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm running windows 98 and i recently tried to upgrade to windowsme. I
know
> that the disk is good (as i used it to upgrade my laptop). however on my
pc
> i get an error message SU0410. There is a file missing or corrupted
> c\wininsto400. The other suggestion is that there is not enough space, but
> this is impossible so it's this file. I tried to re-install windows98 to
> correct the error, but it too would not install due to the same error.
what
> can i do?
>
> Peter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

"SU" Error Message List for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me Setup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129971

Leads to :-
PRB: Error During Preinstallation of Third-Party Driver

HTH

Mart

"Peter Brown" <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm running windows 98 and i recently tried to upgrade to windowsme. I
> know
> that the disk is good (as i used it to upgrade my laptop). however on my
> pc
> i get an error message SU0410. There is a file missing or corrupted
> c\wininsto400. The other suggestion is that there is not enough space, but
> this is impossible so it's this file. I tried to re-install windows98 to
> correct the error, but it too would not install due to the same error.
> what
> can i do?
>
> Peter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

thanks, but to be honest i don't really understand the article and i'm a bit
afraid to poke around too much in case i make matters worse. Can't i just
re-install the software or something simple like that??
Peter

> "SU" Error Message List for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me Setup
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129971
>
> SU0410
> Error SU0410
> Cannot open X. This file may be missing or damaged, or there may not be
> enough memory to continue. Free some memory and then try again. Setup will
> now close.
> For additional information about this error message, click the article
> number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
> 189143 PRB: Error During Preinstallation of Third-Party Driver

> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Peter Brown" <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I'm running windows 98 and i recently tried to upgrade to windowsme. I
> know
> > that the disk is good (as i used it to upgrade my laptop). however on my
> pc
> > i get an error message SU0410. There is a file missing or corrupted
> > c\wininsto400. The other suggestion is that there is not enough space,
but
> > this is impossible so it's this file. I tried to re-install windows98 to
> > correct the error, but it too would not install due to the same error.
> what
> > can i do?
> >
> > Peter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

i've read the article, but i can't understand what i have to do! in simple
terms, what do i do?
> "SU" Error Message List for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me Setup
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129971
>
> SU0410
> Error SU0410
> Cannot open X. This file may be missing or damaged, or there may not be
> enough memory to continue. Free some memory and then try again. Setup will
> now close.
> For additional information about this error message, click the article
> number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
> 189143 PRB: Error During Preinstallation of Third-Party Driver

> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Peter Brown" <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I'm running windows 98 and i recently tried to upgrade to windowsme. I
> know
> > that the disk is good (as i used it to upgrade my laptop). however on my
> pc
> > i get an error message SU0410. There is a file missing or corrupted
> > c\wininsto400. The other suggestion is that there is not enough space,
but
> > this is impossible so it's this file. I tried to re-install windows98 to
> > correct the error, but it too would not install due to the same error.
> what
> > can i do?
> >
> > Peter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

What is the source of the disk? - is it one that was prepared by an OEM
specifically for the laptop you used it on? (In which case, you're not
legally allowed to use it anywhere else, and the driver set it contains may
not be suitable for any other system anyhow))

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Peter Brown" <peter@brown9322.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> i've read the article, but i can't understand what i have to do! in simple
> terms, what do i do?
> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
>> "SU" Error Message List for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me Setup
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129971
>>
>> SU0410
>> Error SU0410
>> Cannot open X. This file may be missing or damaged, or there may not be
>> enough memory to continue. Free some memory and then try again. Setup
>> will
>> now close.
>> For additional information about this error message, click the article
>> number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
>> 189143 PRB: Error During Preinstallation of Third-Party Driver
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/189143/EN-US/
>>
>> --
>> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
>> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
>> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
>> ------
>> "Peter Brown" <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > I'm running windows 98 and i recently tried to upgrade to windowsme. I
>> know
>> > that the disk is good (as i used it to upgrade my laptop). however on
>> > my
>> pc
>> > i get an error message SU0410. There is a file missing or corrupted
>> > c\wininsto400. The other suggestion is that there is not enough space,
> but
>> > this is impossible so it's this file. I tried to re-install windows98
>> > correct the error, but it too would not install due to the same error.
>> what
>> > can i do?
>> >
>> > Peter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

The software didn't work on my pc, so i tried it on my laptop - just to see
if there was a problem with the disks (bought new and sealed). As you can
see there appears to be a deep routed problem witht the pc and somebody has
nicely given me a link to the solution. But can i understand the solution,
can I hell? All i need to know is can i uninstall window98 without losing
all my data, as there appears to have been a problem when i installed win98
which is carrying on in the installation of upgrades.

> What is the source of the disk? - is it one that was prepared by an OEM
> specifically for the laptop you used it on? (In which case, you're not
> legally allowed to use it anywhere else, and the driver set it contains
may
> not be suitable for any other system anyhow))
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Peter Brown" <peter@brown9322.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> > i've read the article, but i can't understand what i have to do! in
simple
> > terms, what do i do?
> > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> >> "SU" Error Message List for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me
Setup
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129971
> >>
> >> SU0410
> >> Error SU0410
> >> Cannot open X. This file may be missing or damaged, or there may not be
> >> enough memory to continue. Free some memory and then try again. Setup
> >> will
> >> now close.
> >> For additional information about this error message, click the article
> >> number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
> >> 189143 PRB: Error During Preinstallation of Third-Party Driver
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/189143/EN-US/
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> >> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
> >> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> >> ------
> >> "Peter Brown" <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> know
> >> pc
> > but
> >> what

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

It occurs to me that perhaps the best way to go would be to format the C
drive and start again. I've got a laptop and want to transfer over files,
emails etc. What is the best way to do this? Firewire cable?

Peter

> The software didn't work on my pc, so i tried it on my laptop - just to
see
> if there was a problem with the disks (bought new and sealed). As you can
> see there appears to be a deep routed problem witht the pc and somebody
has
> nicely given me a link to the solution. But can i understand the solution,
> can I hell? All i need to know is can i uninstall window98 without losing
> all my data, as there appears to have been a problem when i installed
win98
> which is carrying on in the installation of upgrades.
>

> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > What is the source of the disk? - is it one that was prepared by an OEM
> > specifically for the laptop you used it on? (In which case, you're not
> > legally allowed to use it anywhere else, and the driver set it contains
> may
> > not be suitable for any other system anyhow))
> >

> > --
> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >
> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >
> > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's

> > "Peter Brown" <peter@brown9322.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > i've read the article, but i can't understand what i have to do! in
> simple
> > > terms, what do i do?
> > > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> Setup

> space,
> > > but
> error.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

Firewire or Ethernet are usually the quickest/easiest ways to transfer
data - depending on the hardware.

The above is not going to be much use to you unless you can persuade some
operating system to install onto the reformatted HD, so that's the problem
that needs to be solved first!!!

You need to describe the installation disk (hologrammed? - what's the
wording on it?) and the exact point at which the install fails, before
anyone can begin to diagnose the problem.

Apart from MS-produced CD's (of which there are two distinct types, and two
varieties of each), there are a plenitude of OEM-produced disks, which may
or may not be bootable (MS-produced ME CD's are NEVER bootable), and may or
may not reformat the PC for you before 'recovering' the system to its
factory settings and freshness.