Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Universal PCI slot?

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 19, 2004 2:43:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I bought an adaptec sata raid card:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.htm...

and have an elitegroup motherboard:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.as...

The problem is that I'm not too familiar with PCI slots and although
the card can fit in to the PCI slots, the card has an extra length of
connectors that extend past the PCI slot are would be just dangling
there out in the open. Does this card take a special PCI slot that
this motherboard does not have? The card requires PCI 2.2 compliant
and the motherboard has that but I don't know about the Universal PCI
and thought it might have something to do with the extra connectors.

Thanks in advance.

More about : universal pci slot

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 19, 2004 7:18:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

tommy wrote:

> I bought an adaptec sata raid card:
>
> http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.htm...
>
> and have an elitegroup motherboard:
>
> http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.as...
>
> The problem is that I'm not too familiar with PCI slots and although
> the card can fit in to the PCI slots, the card has an extra length of
> connectors that extend past the PCI slot are would be just dangling
> there out in the open. Does this card take a special PCI slot that
> this motherboard does not have? The card requires PCI 2.2 compliant
> and the motherboard has that but I don't know about the Universal PCI
> and thought it might have something to do with the extra connectors.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Well, that ECS board, like most 'desktop PCs', has 32 bit PCI slots and the
Adaptec is a 64 bit PCI card so the 'second' 32 bits on the card is what's
hanging off the edge of your 32 bit PCI slots.

Judging from the adaptec release notes that card can operate in 32 bit
mode, albeit at half speed since it's half the bus, but whether there are
any compatibility issues doing so in that particular motherboard I couldn't
say.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 20, 2004 1:12:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"tommy" <tommynospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:4f0df91b.0411191143.401fd3d1@posting.google.com...
> I bought an adaptec sata raid card:
>
>
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.htm...
>
> and have an elitegroup motherboard:
>
>
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.as...
>
> The problem is that I'm not too familiar with PCI slots and although
> the card can fit in to the PCI slots, the card has an extra length of
> connectors that extend past the PCI slot are would be just dangling
> there out in the open. Does this card take a special PCI slot that
> this motherboard does not have? The card requires PCI 2.2 compliant
> and the motherboard has that but I don't know about the Universal PCI
> and thought it might have something to do with the extra connectors.
>
> Thanks in advance.
Try http://www.acme.com/build_a_pc/pci_types.html It suggest that if card
fits, it should work.
Mike.
Related resources
November 20, 2004 9:16:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

..
>
> Well, that ECS board, like most 'desktop PCs', has 32 bit PCI slots and
> the Adaptec is a 64 bit PCI card so the 'second' 32 bits on the card is
> what's hanging off the edge of your 32 bit PCI slots.
>
> Judging from the adaptec release notes that card can operate in 32 bit
> mode, albeit at half speed since it's half the bus, but whether there are
> any compatibility issues doing so in that particular motherboard I
> couldn't say.
>

if that's true then buy that board wa a huge waste of money
considering that a 32bit version would be considerably less expensive.
return it at once for a refund and get the right board for your machine
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 20, 2004 10:26:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Thanks for the info, David. Although it will be operating half speed,
speed is not my main concern. I'll give it a try and see what
happens.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 20, 2004 7:49:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

tommy wrote:

> Thanks for the info, David. Although it will be operating half speed,
> speed is not my main concern. I'll give it a try and see what
> happens.

Just seems a shame to spend so much money on a 64 bit PCI card when you
have 32 bit PCI slots. Why not get a less expensive 32 bit card?
!