Computer Dying

I recently experienced a power outage in my area while the computer was on
and downloading something. When the power came back on and I tried to boot
up the computer the problems started.

It always tries to do a Thorough Scan upon boot up and when I do get into
Windows eventually, it's very unstable, programs crashing(even Firefox!),
and sometimes my mouse will stop working.

I don't know if the HDD was damaged or maybe the RAM. I've decided to buy a
new computer anyway and sell this jalopy, but just curious as to what anyone
in here may think.

Given those symptoms and the history it could be about anything. It could
be bad RAM, or a corrupted hard drive, or a power supply failing, or a fried
CPU ...

Jason Fowler wrote:
> I recently experienced a power outage in my area while the computer was on
> and downloading something. When the power came back on and I tried to boot
> up the computer the problems started.
>
> It always tries to do a Thorough Scan upon boot up and when I do get into
> Windows eventually,

when you do get into Windows you can open up Scandisk and uncheck
"thorough scan" so it doesn't do it again unless you want it to.

> it's very unstable, programs crashing(even Firefox!),
> and sometimes my mouse will stop working.
>
> I don't know if the HDD was damaged or maybe the RAM. I've decided to buy a
> new computer anyway and sell this jalopy, but just curious as to what anyone
> in here may think.

Next time you boot, turn all the QuickStart booting options off and
reset the ESCD data.

If you crank it over using your WinME EBD (emergency boot disk) you
should run a thorough Scandisk from the DOS prompt.

Then boot into Safe Mode and run it again with all the items checked
(Advanced). That should tell you if your HD has been damaged

If you're getting a new one may as well make the old one useable by
who/whatever gets it (relative, junkstore, charity)

Rick