Closed

windows me password

I just formatted and reloaded Windows ME. I started running the windows
update and finished the Windows restore update. I noticed after I restarted
and entered the windows password it would not accept it, it said it was
typed wrong. I tried every combination I could think of including caps on
and off but it wouldn;t take it. Finally I clicked cancel and it went to
windows and opened it up.
Does anyone with greater knowledge of windows than myself have any
suggestions on how I can get this password function to function?
Thanks for the help...tcoop
13 answers Last reply
More about windows password

    I too just refomatted my Hard drive and used the system
    restore disks. I was able do go cancel thru the logon
    screen and delete any user under users in the control
    panel. This included myself. I then just started over to
    enter myself and added the password within the users
    icon. What is troubling to me is that it is posssible to
    cancel through the logon screen at all and there is no way
    to prevent unwanted users from just entering what ever
    name they want to use. That name then automatically
    populates the users icon screen.

    Troubling maybe but no Win 9x system including Win Me was designed or
    intended to be used in a secure environment. The sole purpose of having
    distinct user logons is to enable individual users to customise the
    appearance of the system, have different desktops, etc. If you wish to
    run a secure system then you should consider installing an NY based system
    such as XP.

    A number of workarounds are available that provide some security including
    a couple that involve registry kludges (quite effective though) with the
    most effective being to use a bios password which would prevent all users
    other than those knowing the password from starting the PC without the aid
    of at least a screwdriver.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Walt <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > I too just refomatted my Hard drive and used the system
    > restore disks. I was able do go cancel thru the logon
    > screen and delete any user under users in the control
    > panel. This included myself. I then just started over to
    > enter myself and added the password within the users
    > icon. What is troubling to me is that it is posssible to
    > cancel through the logon screen at all and there is no way
    > to prevent unwanted users from just entering what ever
    > name they want to use. That name then automatically
    > populates the users icon screen.

    Mike has a little typo here:
    " If you wish to run a secure system, then you should consider installing an
    NY based system
    > such as XP."

    I'm fairly confident he meant to type "NT based system", rather than to
    imply a New York City machine. <bg>
    ---
    Consider the following alternatives to secure better a Win9X system:

    The Windows Registry Guide provides a range of registry tweaks for Windows,
    including the prevention of "cancel" at logon. http://www.winguides.com/
    It will not secure the computer, but can be a deterrant to unsavvy computer
    users.
    --
    Grazzer
    _-Oo_

    IMO, the following two programs, when used in conjunction with each
    other, offer a great deal of flexibility and will satisfy many security
    needs.
    They can be used to control access to executables as well as data, have
    so far proven highly reliable, and are free for non-commercial use:
    Cryptext at http://www.pcug.org.au/~njpayne
    ScramDisk at http://www.samsimpson.com/scramdisk.php

    --
    Grazzer 9/20/2002
    ----

    And at MVP Doug Knox's site, http://www.dougknox.com/
    under "Security", you will find

    SECURE YOUR COMPUTER!
    (works with Win95/98/Me)

    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    > > What is troubling to me is that it is posssible to
    > > cancel through the logon screen at all and there is no way
    > > to prevent unwanted users from just entering what ever
    > > name they want to use.
    >
    > Troubling maybe but no Win 9x system including Win Me was designed or
    > intended to be used in a secure environment. The sole purpose of having
    > distinct user logons is to enable individual users to customise the
    > appearance of the system, have different desktops, etc. If you wish to
    > run a secure system then you should consider installing an NY based system
    > such as XP.
    >
    > A number of workarounds are available that provide some security including
    > a couple that involve registry kludges (quite effective though) with the
    > most effective being to use a bios password which would prevent all users
    > other than those knowing the password from starting the PC without the aid
    > of at least a screwdriver.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Walt <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I too just refomatted my Hard drive and used the system
    > > restore disks. I was able do go cancel thru the logon
    > > screen and delete any user under users in the control
    > > panel. This included myself. I then just started over to
    > > enter myself and added the password within the users
    > > icon. What is troubling to me is that it is posssible to
    > > cancel through the logon screen at all and there is no way
    > > to prevent unwanted users from just entering what ever
    > > name they want to use. That name then automatically
    > > populates the users icon screen.

    When you say "Windows Password", what do you mean and where did you get the
    "password"? If you reboot and, instead of hitting "cancel", hit "enter",
    what happens?
    --
    Alias

    "Tom C" <c_tom@nospam.net> wrote

    >I just formatted and reloaded Windows ME. I started running the windows
    >update and finished the Windows restore update. I noticed after I restarted
    >and entered the windows password it would not accept it, it said it was
    >typed wrong. I tried every combination I could think of including caps on
    >and off but it wouldn;t take it. Finally I clicked cancel and it went to
    >windows and opened it up.
    > Does anyone with greater knowledge of windows than myself have any
    > suggestions on how I can get this password function to function?
    > Thanks for the help...tcoop

    This is the password that I entered during the installation of Win ME. It
    asks for it during bootup.
    I have rebooted and it is taking the password now. It wouldn't accept it
    earlier, but it would start windows after clicking cancel.
    Now if I just click enter it want let me in, it says password is typed
    wrong, however if I click cancel it will work. It will accept the password
    now aftrer rebooting. It appears it is working correctly except for
    accepting cancel as a password.
    Thanks,,,tcoop

    Jack E Martinelli wrote:

    > Mike has a little typo here:

    > I'm fairly confident he meant to type "NT based system", rather than to
    > imply a New York City machine. <bg>

    Naw... I thought he meant a "New Yonkers" based system but being that he
    is from across the pond he doesn't know that there is only one Yonkers,
    a district of NY of course.

    John

    Hey, you may be right!
    http://www.cityofyonkers.com/

    "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    > Jack E Martinelli wrote:
    >
    > > Mike has a little typo here:
    >
    > > I'm fairly confident he meant to type "NT based system", rather than to
    > > imply a New York City machine. <bg>
    >
    > Naw... I thought he meant a "New Yonkers" based system but being that he
    > is from across the pond he doesn't know that there is only one Yonkers,
    > a district of NY of course.
    >
    > John

    Stop LogOn Prompt at Boot

    Using the Client for Microsoft Network Logon is only necessary if
    you're logging on to a Windows NT/2000 domain or server. All
    peer-to-peer networking functions are available using Windows Logon as
    the primary network logon.

    To eliminate the logon prompt, set the primary network logon to
    Windows Logon and use an empty password, as described in this
    Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

    How to Prevent a Windows Me/98/95 Logon Prompt at Startup
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q152/1/04.asp
    --
    Best Wishes,
    Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Desktop Systems)

    How to Prevent a Windows Me Logon Prompt at Startup (152104)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;152104

    How to Disable and Delete User Profiles
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;156826

    "Tom C" <c_tom@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > This is the password that I entered during the installation of Win ME. It
    > asks for it during bootup.
    > I have rebooted and it is taking the password now. It wouldn't accept it
    > earlier, but it would start windows after clicking cancel.
    > Now if I just click enter it want let me in, it says password is typed
    > wrong, however if I click cancel it will work. It will accept the password
    > now aftrer rebooting. It appears it is working correctly except for
    > accepting cancel as a password.
    > Thanks,,,tcoop
    >

    > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    > > When you say "Windows Password", what do you mean and where did you get
    > > the "password"? If you reboot and, instead of hitting "cancel", hit
    > > "enter", what happens?
    > > --
    > > Alias
    > >
    > > Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    > > Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    > >
    > > "Tom C" <c_tom@nospam.net> wrote
    > >
    > >>I just formatted and reloaded Windows ME. I started running the windows
    > >>update and finished the Windows restore update. I noticed after I
    > >>restarted and entered the windows password it would not accept it, it
    said
    > >>it was typed wrong. I tried every combination I could think of including
    > >>caps on and off but it wouldn;t take it. Finally I clicked cancel and it
    > >>went to windows and opened it up.
    > >> Does anyone with greater knowledge of windows than myself have any
    > >> suggestions on how I can get this password function to function?
    > >> Thanks for the help...tcoop

    Or I may be completely wrong! I thought that Yonkers was an NYC
    district like Queens, or Brooklyn, or The Bronx... Awww... makes beans
    anyhow, maybe we can pull the wool on Mike's eyes with this...

    John

    Jack E Martinelli wrote:

    > Hey, you may be right!
    > http://www.cityofyonkers.com/

    They're called "boroughs", not districts. New York City has five boroughs
    and Yonkers isn't one of them. They are: The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan,
    Queens and Staten Island
    --
    Alias

    > Or I may be completely wrong! I thought that Yonkers was an NYC district
    > like Queens, or Brooklyn, or The Bronx... Awww... makes beans anyhow,
    > maybe we can pull the wool on Mike's eyes with this...
    >
    > John
    >
    > Jack E Martinelli wrote:
    >
    >> Hey, you may be right!
    >> http://www.cityofyonkers.com/

    I knew they were "boroughs", but I didn't know there are five of them
    even if I know of all five. I thought there were more of em'. This is
    great, should come in handy when I go on Jeopardy next week! Alex
    Trebek will say "Yonkers" and I will reply: "What is not a NY borough
    or what is a UK OS?" I'm counting the cash now... I'll give you half
    when I'm done, the learning never stops, thanks.

    John

    PS: In deference to us maybe MS will code name their next OS Yonkers.

    Alias wrote:

    > They're called "boroughs", not districts. New York City has five boroughs
    > and Yonkers isn't one of them. They are: The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan,
    > Queens and Staten Island

    Is this a great newsgroup, or what!

    > I knew they were "boroughs", but I didn't know there are five of them
    > even if I know of all five. I thought there were more of em'. This is
    > great, should come in handy when I go on Jeopardy next week! Alex
    > Trebek will say "Yonkers" and I will reply: "What is not a NY borough
    > or what is a UK OS?" I'm counting the cash now... I'll give you half
    > when I'm done, the learning never stops, thanks.
    >
    > John
    >
    > PS: In deference to us maybe MS will code name their next OS Yonkers.
    >
    > Alias wrote:
    >
    > > They're called "boroughs", not districts. New York City has five
    boroughs
    > > and Yonkers isn't one of them. They are: The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan,
    > > Queens and Staten Island

Windows Me Microsoft Windows