windows me password

Status
Not open for further replies.

I just formatted and reloaded Windows ME. I started running the windows
update and finished the Windows restore update. I noticed after I restarted
and entered the windows password it would not accept it, it said it was
typed wrong. I tried every combination I could think of including caps on
and off but it wouldn;t take it. Finally I clicked cancel and it went to
windows and opened it up.
Does anyone with greater knowledge of windows than myself have any
suggestions on how I can get this password function to function?
Thanks for the help...tcoop

I too just refomatted my Hard drive and used the system
restore disks. I was able do go cancel thru the logon
screen and delete any user under users in the control
panel. This included myself. I then just started over to
enter myself and added the password within the users
icon. What is troubling to me is that it is posssible to
cancel through the logon screen at all and there is no way
to prevent unwanted users from just entering what ever
name they want to use. That name then automatically
populates the users icon screen.

Troubling maybe but no Win 9x system including Win Me was designed or
intended to be used in a secure environment. The sole purpose of having
distinct user logons is to enable individual users to customise the
appearance of the system, have different desktops, etc. If you wish to
run a secure system then you should consider installing an NY based system
such as XP.

A number of workarounds are available that provide some security including
a couple that involve registry kludges (quite effective though) with the
most effective being to use a bios password which would prevent all users
other than those knowing the password from starting the PC without the aid
of at least a screwdriver.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Walt <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I too just refomatted my Hard drive and used the system
> restore disks. I was able do go cancel thru the logon
> screen and delete any user under users in the control
> panel. This included myself. I then just started over to
> enter myself and added the password within the users
> icon. What is troubling to me is that it is posssible to
> cancel through the logon screen at all and there is no way
> to prevent unwanted users from just entering what ever
> name they want to use. That name then automatically
> populates the users icon screen.

Mike has a little typo here:
" If you wish to run a secure system, then you should consider installing an
NY based system
> such as XP."

I'm fairly confident he meant to type "NT based system", rather than to
imply a New York City machine. <bg>
---
Consider the following alternatives to secure better a Win9X system:

The Windows Registry Guide provides a range of registry tweaks for Windows,
including the prevention of "cancel" at logon. http://www.winguides.com/
It will not secure the computer, but can be a deterrant to unsavvy computer
users.
--
Grazzer
_-Oo_

IMO, the following two programs, when used in conjunction with each
other, offer a great deal of flexibility and will satisfy many security
needs.
They can be used to control access to executables as well as data, have
so far proven highly reliable, and are free for non-commercial use:
Cryptext at http://www.pcug.org.au/~njpayne
ScramDisk at http://www.samsimpson.com/scramdisk.php

--
Grazzer 9/20/2002
----

And at MVP Doug Knox's site, http://www.dougknox.com/
under "Security", you will find

SECURE YOUR COMPUTER!
(works with Win95/98/Me)

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> > What is troubling to me is that it is posssible to
> > cancel through the logon screen at all and there is no way
> > to prevent unwanted users from just entering what ever
> > name they want to use.
>
> Troubling maybe but no Win 9x system including Win Me was designed or
> intended to be used in a secure environment. The sole purpose of having
> distinct user logons is to enable individual users to customise the
> appearance of the system, have different desktops, etc. If you wish to
> run a secure system then you should consider installing an NY based system
> such as XP.
>
> A number of workarounds are available that provide some security including
> a couple that involve registry kludges (quite effective though) with the
> most effective being to use a bios password which would prevent all users
> other than those knowing the password from starting the PC without the aid
> of at least a screwdriver.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Walt <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I too just refomatted my Hard drive and used the system
> > restore disks. I was able do go cancel thru the logon
> > screen and delete any user under users in the control
> > panel. This included myself. I then just started over to
> > enter myself and added the password within the users
> > icon. What is troubling to me is that it is posssible to
> > cancel through the logon screen at all and there is no way
> > to prevent unwanted users from just entering what ever
> > name they want to use. That name then automatically
> > populates the users icon screen.

Alias

When you say "Windows Password", what do you mean and where did you get the
"password"? If you reboot and, instead of hitting "cancel", hit "enter",
what happens?
--
Alias

"Tom C" <c_tom@nospam.net> wrote

>I just formatted and reloaded Windows ME. I started running the windows
>update and finished the Windows restore update. I noticed after I restarted
>and entered the windows password it would not accept it, it said it was
>typed wrong. I tried every combination I could think of including caps on
>and off but it wouldn;t take it. Finally I clicked cancel and it went to
>windows and opened it up.
> Does anyone with greater knowledge of windows than myself have any
> suggestions on how I can get this password function to function?
> Thanks for the help...tcoop

This is the password that I entered during the installation of Win ME. It
asks for it during bootup.
I have rebooted and it is taking the password now. It wouldn't accept it
earlier, but it would start windows after clicking cancel.
Now if I just click enter it want let me in, it says password is typed
wrong, however if I click cancel it will work. It will accept the password
now aftrer rebooting. It appears it is working correctly except for
accepting cancel as a password.
Thanks,,,tcoop

Jack E Martinelli wrote:

> Mike has a little typo here:

> I'm fairly confident he meant to type "NT based system", rather than to
> imply a New York City machine. <bg>

Naw... I thought he meant a "New Yonkers" based system but being that he
is from across the pond he doesn't know that there is only one Yonkers,
a district of NY of course.

John

Hey, you may be right!
http://www.cityofyonkers.com/

"John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> Jack E Martinelli wrote:
>
> > Mike has a little typo here:
>
> > I'm fairly confident he meant to type "NT based system", rather than to
> > imply a New York City machine. <bg>
>
> Naw... I thought he meant a "New Yonkers" based system but being that he
> is from across the pond he doesn't know that there is only one Yonkers,
> a district of NY of course.
>
> John

Stop LogOn Prompt at Boot

Using the Client for Microsoft Network Logon is only necessary if
you're logging on to a Windows NT/2000 domain or server. All
peer-to-peer networking functions are available using Windows Logon as
the primary network logon.

To eliminate the logon prompt, set the primary network logon to
Windows Logon and use an empty password, as described in this
Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

How to Prevent a Windows Me/98/95 Logon Prompt at Startup
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q152/1/04.asp
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Desktop Systems)

How to Prevent a Windows Me Logon Prompt at Startup (152104)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;152104

How to Disable and Delete User Profiles
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;156826

"Tom C" <c_tom@nospam.net> wrote in message
> This is the password that I entered during the installation of Win ME. It
> asks for it during bootup.
> I have rebooted and it is taking the password now. It wouldn't accept it
> earlier, but it would start windows after clicking cancel.
> Now if I just click enter it want let me in, it says password is typed
> wrong, however if I click cancel it will work. It will accept the password
> now aftrer rebooting. It appears it is working correctly except for
> accepting cancel as a password.
> Thanks,,,tcoop
>

> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
> > When you say "Windows Password", what do you mean and where did you get
> > the "password"? If you reboot and, instead of hitting "cancel", hit
> > "enter", what happens?
> > --
> > Alias
> >
> > Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
> > Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
> >
> > "Tom C" <c_tom@nospam.net> wrote
> >
> >>I just formatted and reloaded Windows ME. I started running the windows
> >>update and finished the Windows restore update. I noticed after I
> >>restarted and entered the windows password it would not accept it, it
said
> >>it was typed wrong. I tried every combination I could think of including
> >>caps on and off but it wouldn;t take it. Finally I clicked cancel and it
> >>went to windows and opened it up.
> >> Does anyone with greater knowledge of windows than myself have any
> >> suggestions on how I can get this password function to function?
> >> Thanks for the help...tcoop

Or I may be completely wrong! I thought that Yonkers was an NYC
district like Queens, or Brooklyn, or The Bronx... Awww... makes beans
anyhow, maybe we can pull the wool on Mike's eyes with this...

John

Jack E Martinelli wrote:

> Hey, you may be right!
> http://www.cityofyonkers.com/

Alias

They're called "boroughs", not districts. New York City has five boroughs
and Yonkers isn't one of them. They are: The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan,
Queens and Staten Island
--
Alias

> Or I may be completely wrong! I thought that Yonkers was an NYC district
> like Queens, or Brooklyn, or The Bronx... Awww... makes beans anyhow,
> maybe we can pull the wool on Mike's eyes with this...
>
> John
>
> Jack E Martinelli wrote:
>
>> Hey, you may be right!
>> http://www.cityofyonkers.com/

I knew they were "boroughs", but I didn't know there are five of them
even if I know of all five. I thought there were more of em'. This is
great, should come in handy when I go on Jeopardy next week! Alex
Trebek will say "Yonkers" and I will reply: "What is not a NY borough
or what is a UK OS?" I'm counting the cash now... I'll give you half
when I'm done, the learning never stops, thanks.

John

PS: In deference to us maybe MS will code name their next OS Yonkers.

Alias wrote:

> They're called "boroughs", not districts. New York City has five boroughs
> and Yonkers isn't one of them. They are: The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan,
> Queens and Staten Island

Is this a great newsgroup, or what!