UMAX 1220P and WinXP

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Hello all,

Anyone know how to get a umax 1220P to work with XP? I know there was a way
to do it in 2K but I've since lost that driver and can't seem to find any
info. All the items listed for XP seem to be for the 2000U model or only
for older OSs.
Also, I dont have the manual for the scanner, does the LPT port need to be
bi-directional or some other specific setting?

TIA,

--
John

jad

I have the driver in which this warning pertains.....if you want it i
will throw it up on my webpage 7.29k zip

ENGLISH
Warning: we are not recommend to use LPT-devices under 2000/XP in
important applications. Please take into account
that there is some risk of data losses due to any hardware/software
modifications, please backup any important data first.

In case, after the VistaScan 3.55LPT installation, Windows (XP/2000)
does not register the driver correctly with the device manager
and the scanner gets detected as an unknown component at Windows start
up, the proper entry has to be done manually.
Close the Assistent dialog with a cancel button. Extract inf-files
from that ZIP-archive into a folder on your hard disk.
The scanner has been registered as an unknown device. Double click
this entry the device manager to open the properties dialog.
Click on "Driver" and then on the button "Update". Select the option
"Software list..." and in the next dialog the option "Do not
search...".
Click on "Continue". In the list of hardware types select "Image
processing devices". Click on the button "Disk" and refer to the
folder
in which you have just expanded the INF files. Click on "Open" and in
the list select your scanner. Ignore the Windows-Logo test warning
and click on "Continue"/"Finish". Now the scanner has been correctly
register with the device manager and will be displayed under
"Image processing devices". For screen shots illustrating the
installation click hier.

In case the scanner will not be detected at all, check either the
printer (in case one is connected)
or the settings of the parallel port in the Bios of your PC.
"John" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> Anyone know how to get a umax 1220P to work with XP? I know there
was a way
> to do it in 2K but I've since lost that driver and can't seem to
find any
> info. All the items listed for XP seem to be for the 2000U model or
only
> for older OSs.
> Also, I dont have the manual for the scanner, does the LPT port need
to be
> bi-directional or some other specific setting?
>
> TIA,
>
> --
> John

Hi,
Going to the Umax website says that the 1220P isn't supported in XP with
any downloadable software available from their website. However, it also
says that it uses Vistascan V 3.55 and is purchaseable on a CD-ROM from Umax
for $14.95. Sounds interesting (LOL).

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net

Jan Alter wrote:
> Hi,
> Going to the Umax website says that the 1220P isn't supported in XP with
> any downloadable software available from their website. However, it also
> says that it uses Vistascan V 3.55 and is purchaseable on a CD-ROM from Umax
> for $14.95. Sounds interesting (LOL).

It's that sort of business practice that guarantees that I'll never buy
or recommend Umax again. Good job, guys.

--
-WD

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Jan,

I was able to download Vistascan 3.55 by "other means" but I dont think the
driver is still functional. Also tried a couple of other installations from
other driver sites but they appear to only be good for the 1200 USB or
astra2000 model.

--
John

"Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Going to the Umax website says that the 1220P isn't supported in XP with
> any downloadable software available from their website. However, it also
> says that it uses Vistascan V 3.55 and is purchaseable on a CD-ROM from
> Umax for $14.95. Sounds interesting (LOL).
>
> --
> Jan Alter
> bearpuf@verizon.net
> or
> jalter@phila.k12.pa.us
> "John" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Anyone know how to get a umax 1220P to work with XP? I know there was a
>> way to do it in 2K but I've since lost that driver and can't seem to find
>> any info. All the items listed for XP seem to be for the 2000U model or
>> only for older OSs.
>> Also, I dont have the manual for the scanner, does the LPT port need to
>> be bi-directional or some other specific setting?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> --
>> John

OK, one other option if you're unable to get the driver to function.
Take a drive and partition it so you can install Win98 on one partition
and XP on the second. You make a dual boot computer then the scanner is
still usable. XP will be able to see the files on the 98 partition but not
the other way around, I believe.
I've always liked the reliability of their scanners but it seems like
Umax is one of the first scanner companies to abandon making new drivers for
their machines when microgates issues a new OS version. It's an endless
circle. I've switched to Epson scanners and can't tell you of their
maintaining drivers, but have appreciated their good quality and reasonable
cost. Ha, the Umax 6SE (1200 X 600 res ) that I bought 6 years ago cost me
$500.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net
> Jan,
>
> I was able to download Vistascan 3.55 by "other means" but I dont think
> the driver is still functional. Also tried a couple of other
> installations from other driver sites but they appear to only be good for
> the 1200 USB or astra2000 model.
>
> --
> John
>

> "Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> Going to the Umax website says that the 1220P isn't supported in XP
>> with any downloadable software available from their website. However, it
>> also says that it uses Vistascan V 3.55 and is purchaseable on a CD-ROM
>> from Umax for $14.95. Sounds interesting (LOL).
>>
>> --
>> Jan Alter
>> bearpuf@verizon.net
>> or
>> jalter@phila.k12.pa.us
>> "John" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> Anyone know how to get a umax 1220P to work with XP? I know there was a
>>> way to do it in 2K but I've since lost that driver and can't seem to
>>> find any info. All the items listed for XP seem to be for the 2000U
>>> model or only for older OSs.
>>> Also, I dont have the manual for the scanner, does the LPT port need to
>>> be bi-directional or some other specific setting?
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>>
>>> --
>>> John

Google and ye shall find...
http://drivers.soft32.com/driver/download-UMAX_Scanner_Astra_1220p-24192.html

mb

"John" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> Anyone know how to get a umax 1220P to work with XP? I know there was a
> way to do it in 2K but I've since lost that driver and can't seem to find
> any info. All the items listed for XP seem to be for the 2000U model or
> only for older OSs.
> Also, I dont have the manual for the scanner, does the LPT port need to be
> bi-directional or some other specific setting?
>
> TIA,
>
> --
> John

"John" <noone@here.com> wrote in message news:<3092ifF2sg5mpU1@uni-berlin.de>...

> Anyone know how to get a umax 1220P to work with XP? I know
> there was a way to do it in 2K but I've since lost that driver
> and can't seem to find any info. All the items listed for XP
> seem to be for the 2000U model or only for older OSs.

www.umax.co.uk has it and information on making the Win2K driver work
with WinXP. The British site has software often not available at
other Umax sites because it's not actually run by Umax.

> Also, I dont have the manual for the scanner, does the LPT
> port need to be bi-directional or some other specific setting?

It doesn't have to be bidirectional, but it can improve speed, so you
may want to check the BIOS setup for ECP parallel port mode (Device
Manager will also list port protocol).

Nice find, but the download doesn't come through.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net

Jan Alter wrote:

> Nice find, but the download doesn't come through.

OK. That was enough for me to locate it though. The site that link points
to is 'under construction', they say, but the link gave the file name. It's
vs355p.exe, which happens to be the same as for my UMAX 2000p. I guess I
downloaded it before they decided to play cutesy and require purchasing a
CD. Or I did a dummy 'free' registration on driverguide.com and got it
there. I don't remember.

Anyway, with google I found a site that has it, the file size looked right,
and the download started (I aborted because I'm on a modem here and didn't
feel like waiting for 8.52 meg to come down). Try here:

http://www.mllsoft.co.il/support/driver/3.55p/

I know it worked on both 2000 and XP but I'm using a different scanner now
and it was so long ago that I can't remember if there were any 'tricks' I
had to do to make it work.

John wrote:
> All,
>
> Thanks to all your help, I was able to get this puppy working with vistscan
> 3.55

Super. Glad to hear it.

That worked. I'm sorry I'm not the guy who needed it, but this exercise
taught me a couple of additional sleuthing techniques. Thanks.
--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net

Jan Alter wrote:

> That worked. I'm sorry I'm not the guy who needed it, but this exercise
> taught me a couple of additional sleuthing techniques. Thanks.

You mean the one called "lucky" ;)

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 15:47:09 GMT, "Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net>
wrote:

>Hi,
> Going to the Umax website says that the 1220P isn't supported in XP with
>any downloadable software available from their website. However, it also
>says that it uses Vistascan V 3.55 and is purchaseable on a CD-ROM from Umax
>for $14.95. Sounds interesting (LOL).

On the german website you could download the suite/driver for free!

Support ->Download ->Scanner-Betriebsystem >Vistascan 3.55 download
24,2Megabytes

If you cant search,you have to pay....