File manager problem

JohnN

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2001

I am running WindowsME, Suddenly I lost the content in the left hand
side window when running "File Manager". There should be list of folder
! Could anyone help and show me how to recover it ?
Many thanks

johnn

I assume by "File Manager", you mean 'Windows Explorer'?
If so, try this:

Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
Highlight "Microsoft Internet Explorer"
Click Add/Remove Button
Checkmark in "Repair Internet Explorer"
Click "OK"

I know this is not 'Windows Explorer',
but the two are linked, this almost always cures the
problem that you are seeing.
HTH

George Gee

*johnn* has posted this message:

> I am running WindowsME, Suddenly I lost the content in the left hand
> side window when running "File Manager". There should be list of
> folder ! Could anyone help and show me how to recover it ?
> Many thanks

George
If the system is fully updated, the IE entry may be 'hidden' by more recent
updates - here's my current boiler-plate for this.....

Reboot to Safe Mode
Go to Add/Remove Programs and try a repair of Internet Explorer from there.
Go to the entry for 'Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools'
in Add/Remove Programs
Click on Remove - and click on Repair on the window that pops up
Reboot on request to Normal Mode

If the above entry isn't there, you first need to uninstall all the IE
patches
applied, then do the repair, then reapply the patches
The patches are listed in Add/Remove under the names 'Internet Explorer
Qxxxxxx'
highlight, click Remove - reboot if requested.
Repeat until the MSIE6SP1 entry appears - then repair as above.

HTH

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"George Gee" <george.nomaps@ntlworld.xom> wrote in message
> johnn
>
> I assume by "File Manager", you mean 'Windows Explorer'?
> If so, try this:
>
> Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
> Highlight "Microsoft Internet Explorer"
> Click Add/Remove Button
> Checkmark in "Repair Internet Explorer"
> Click "OK"
>
> I know this is not 'Windows Explorer',
> but the two are linked, this almost always cures the
> problem that you are seeing.
> HTH
>
> George Gee
>

> *johnn* has posted this message:
>
>> I am running WindowsME, Suddenly I lost the content in the left hand
>> side window when running "File Manager". There should be list of
>> folder ! Could anyone help and show me how to recover it ?
>> Many thanks

Noel,

If Microsoft Internet Explorer (SP1) isn't available in Add/Remove
Programs it may well be worth the user trying to re-register the file
shdocvw.dll. Do this by
typing the following command in the Run box (Start | Run)
REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW.DLL
and then click OK

If that doesn't work then yes, uninstall the Internet Explorer Q??????
entry in Add/Remove Programs and proceed as per the rest of your post.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> George
> If the system is fully updated, the IE entry may be 'hidden' by more
> recent updates - here's my current boiler-plate for this.....
>
> Reboot to Safe Mode
> Go to Add/Remove Programs and try a repair of Internet Explorer from
> there. Go to the entry for 'Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and
> Internet Tools' in Add/Remove Programs
> Click on Remove - and click on Repair on the window that pops up
> Reboot on request to Normal Mode
>
> If the above entry isn't there, you first need to uninstall all the IE
> patches
> applied, then do the repair, then reapply the patches
> The patches are listed in Add/Remove under the names 'Internet
> Explorer Qxxxxxx'
> highlight, click Remove - reboot if requested.
> Repeat until the MSIE6SP1 entry appears - then repair as above.

JohnN

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2001

I tried REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW.DLL
But it responded "program not found" !

Then i tried uninstall all the Q????? I can found,
and run repair of MSIE6SP1 entry.
But it doesn't work.

And then I accidentally selected uninstall MSIE6SP1.
The system after reboot lost all the icons on the desktop and the
"Start" bar, only a wallpaper is displayed !

Could anyone advise Anythings I should do now before re-installing the
Windows ME ?

Many thanks