File manager problem

I am running WindowsME, Suddenly I lost the content in the left hand
side window when running "File Manager". There should be list of folder
! Could anyone help and show me how to recover it ?
Many thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about file manager problem

    johnn

    I assume by "File Manager", you mean 'Windows Explorer'?
    If so, try this:

    Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
    Highlight "Microsoft Internet Explorer"
    Click Add/Remove Button
    Checkmark in "Repair Internet Explorer"
    Click "OK"

    I know this is not 'Windows Explorer',
    but the two are linked, this almost always cures the
    problem that you are seeing.
    HTH

    George Gee

    *johnn* has posted this message:

    > I am running WindowsME, Suddenly I lost the content in the left hand
    > side window when running "File Manager". There should be list of
    > folder ! Could anyone help and show me how to recover it ?
    > Many thanks

    George
    If the system is fully updated, the IE entry may be 'hidden' by more recent
    updates - here's my current boiler-plate for this.....

    Reboot to Safe Mode
    Go to Add/Remove Programs and try a repair of Internet Explorer from there.
    Go to the entry for 'Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools'
    in Add/Remove Programs
    Click on Remove - and click on Repair on the window that pops up
    Reboot on request to Normal Mode

    If the above entry isn't there, you first need to uninstall all the IE
    patches
    applied, then do the repair, then reapply the patches
    The patches are listed in Add/Remove under the names 'Internet Explorer
    Qxxxxxx'
    highlight, click Remove - reboot if requested.
    Repeat until the MSIE6SP1 entry appears - then repair as above.

    HTH

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "George Gee" <george.nomaps@ntlworld.xom> wrote in message
    > johnn
    >
    > I assume by "File Manager", you mean 'Windows Explorer'?
    > If so, try this:
    >
    > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
    > Highlight "Microsoft Internet Explorer"
    > Click Add/Remove Button
    > Checkmark in "Repair Internet Explorer"
    > Click "OK"
    >
    > I know this is not 'Windows Explorer',
    > but the two are linked, this almost always cures the
    > problem that you are seeing.
    > HTH
    >
    > George Gee
    >

    > *johnn* has posted this message:
    >
    >> I am running WindowsME, Suddenly I lost the content in the left hand
    >> side window when running "File Manager". There should be list of
    >> folder ! Could anyone help and show me how to recover it ?
    >> Many thanks

    Noel,

    If Microsoft Internet Explorer (SP1) isn't available in Add/Remove
    Programs it may well be worth the user trying to re-register the file
    shdocvw.dll. Do this by
    typing the following command in the Run box (Start | Run)
    REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW.DLL
    and then click OK

    If that doesn't work then yes, uninstall the Internet Explorer Q??????
    entry in Add/Remove Programs and proceed as per the rest of your post.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

    > George
    > If the system is fully updated, the IE entry may be 'hidden' by more
    > recent updates - here's my current boiler-plate for this.....
    >
    > Reboot to Safe Mode
    > Go to Add/Remove Programs and try a repair of Internet Explorer from
    > there. Go to the entry for 'Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and
    > Internet Tools' in Add/Remove Programs
    > Click on Remove - and click on Repair on the window that pops up
    > Reboot on request to Normal Mode
    >
    > If the above entry isn't there, you first need to uninstall all the IE
    > patches
    > applied, then do the repair, then reapply the patches
    > The patches are listed in Add/Remove under the names 'Internet
    > Explorer Qxxxxxx'
    > highlight, click Remove - reboot if requested.
    > Repeat until the MSIE6SP1 entry appears - then repair as above.

    I tried REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW.DLL
    But it responded "program not found" !

    Then i tried uninstall all the Q????? I can found,
    and run repair of MSIE6SP1 entry.
    But it doesn't work.

    And then I accidentally selected uninstall MSIE6SP1.
    The system after reboot lost all the icons on the desktop and the
    "Start" bar, only a wallpaper is displayed !

    Could anyone advise Anythings I should do now before re-installing the
    Windows ME ?

    Many thanks

    Mike M wrote:
    > Noel,
    >
    > If Microsoft Internet Explorer (SP1) isn't available in Add/Remove
    > Programs it may well be worth the user trying to re-register the file
    > shdocvw.dll. Do this by
    > typing the following command in the Run box (Start | Run)
    > REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW.DLL
    > and then click OK
    >
    > If that doesn't work then yes, uninstall the Internet Explorer Q??????
    > entry in Add/Remove Programs and proceed as per the rest of your post.

Microsoft Windows