My Pictures - Read Only

Smirnoff

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

For some reason I cannot change the "Read Only" attributes of the My
Pictures folder within the My Documents folder.
All other folders are OK.
I go into properties and deselect read only and apply but as soon as I
check properties again, it has reverted to read only.
I cannot get the "Print" option when viewing thumbnails and it will not
let me "customise" the folder.
Help please. Thanks

Shane

Have you tried
attrib -r -s
from a dos box or boot? I would think it's the system attribute stopping the
change.

Another poss. solution might be to move the folder's desktop.ini elsewhere
(but probably not. This does work if sharing the Music folder between 9x and
XP, you can't set it in 9x if you've already set it in XP, unless you move
desktop.ini. Then when the location is set in 9x too, you move it back).

Shane

"Smirnoff" <someone@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> For some reason I cannot change the "Read Only" attributes of the My
> Pictures folder within the My Documents folder.
> All other folders are OK.
> I go into properties and deselect read only and apply but as soon as I
> check properties again, it has reverted to read only.
> I cannot get the "Print" option when viewing thumbnails and it will not
> let me "customise" the folder.
> Help please. Thanks

See KB 256614 - "Unable to remove Read-Only attribute from folder"
(http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=256614) for a possible reason for this
problem (you have customised the folder) and a solution.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Smirnoff <someone@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> For some reason I cannot change the "Read Only" attributes of the My
> Pictures folder within the My Documents folder.
> All other folders are OK.
> I go into properties and deselect read only and apply but as soon as I
> check properties again, it has reverted to read only.
> I cannot get the "Print" option when viewing thumbnails and it will
> not let me "customise" the folder.
> Help please. Thanks

Copied off CD? WinME may be smarter than older Win9x there; but.

>---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Cats have 9 lives, which makes them
ideal for experimentation!
>---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

Smirnoff

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

Thanks for the link.
I don't think I'll mess with the registry though, as I can copy and
paste the pics.
The strange thing is, it appears that the folder isn't customised as I
do not get the option to "uncustomise" it.
Yet it is the system folder with pics on the icon, which is a
customisation in itself!
Also, when I select a pic in the folder and then choose "Customise this
folder...", I get the message:
"This folder cannot be customised. It is either marked as read-only, or
your system administrator has disabled this functionality. Please
contact your administator".
As it is my own PC and I am the sole user, it seems even odder.
Thanks for your help.

Mike M wrote:
> See KB 256614 - "Unable to remove Read-Only attribute from folder"
> (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=256614) for a possible reason for
> this problem (you have customised the folder) and a solution.
>
>> For some reason I cannot change the "Read Only" attributes of the My
>> Pictures folder within the My Documents folder.
>> All other folders are OK.
>> I go into properties and deselect read only and apply but as soon as
>> I check properties again, it has reverted to read only.
>> I cannot get the "Print" option when viewing thumbnails and it will
>> not let me "customise" the folder.
>> Help please. Thanks

Smirnoff

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

Thanks. Please see my reply to Mike M.

Shane wrote:
> Have you tried
> attrib -r -s
> from a dos box or boot? I would think it's the system attribute
> stopping the change.
>
> Another poss. solution might be to move the folder's desktop.ini
> elsewhere (but probably not. This does work if sharing the Music
> folder between 9x and XP, you can't set it in 9x if you've already
> set it in XP, unless you move desktop.ini. Then when the location is
> set in 9x too, you move it back).
>

> Shane
>

> "Smirnoff" <someone@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> For some reason I cannot change the "Read Only" attributes of the My
>> Pictures folder within the My Documents folder.
>> All other folders are OK.
>> I go into properties and deselect read only and apply but as soon as
>> I check properties again, it has reverted to read only.
>> I cannot get the "Print" option when viewing thumbnails and it will
>> not let me "customise" the folder.
>> Help please. Thanks

Just a thought - is it possible to change the attributes in Safe Mode?
.... Or even in DOS, if necessary..

Mart