maztor hard disk problems

Installed a maxtor on secondary ide. made a slave after my dvd ram drive.
windows detected it. windows says driver installed and device enabled. but
it isn't showing up in my computer as a drive.

So i removed. checked that the jumper set to cable select it is. So i
tried setting it to slave (by removing jumper altogether). Switch on again
no difference.

Tried bios set manually to lba and user install instead of auto. Machine
wouldn't get past detect stage.

Have tried cable select with new drive as slave on the primary ide channel.
set bios back to auto detect. windows boot up fine but doesn't accept that
new drive exists at all in device manager.

Can you hear it spin up when you turn the power on?
If not its def. dead.

If it wont detect as master on primary ide with no other drives
connected at all, and you are sure cables are the right way round
(some dont have the notches) Then its......DEAD. :cry:

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:59:53 GMT, "Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com>
wrote:

>Installed a maxtor on secondary ide. made a slave after my dvd ram drive.
>windows detected it. windows says driver installed and device enabled. but
>it isn't showing up in my computer as a drive.

hate to ask a stupid question, but have you fdisk/formatted the new
drive???

Mr Jessop wrote:

> Installed a maxtor on secondary ide. made a slave after my dvd ram drive.
> windows detected it. windows says driver installed and device enabled. but
> it isn't showing up in my computer as a drive.

It won't if it isn't partitioned. 'Drive' letters are assigned to
partitions, not raw drives.

Can't say much more as you didn't mention which 'Windows' you're running.

> So i removed. checked that the jumper set to cable select it is. So i
> tried setting it to slave (by removing jumper altogether). Switch on again
> no difference.

Same as above.

> Tried bios set manually to lba and user install instead of auto. Machine
> wouldn't get past detect stage.
>
> Have tried cable select with new drive as slave on the primary ide channel.
> set bios back to auto detect. windows boot up fine but doesn't accept that
> new drive exists at all in device manager.

What is the master drive strapped for? If it's a Western Digital, for
example, the settings are different for single master and master with slave
present.

"Curtis Newton" <cnewton.remove-this@akamail.com> wrote:

> hate to ask a stupid question, but have you fdisk/formatted the new
> drive???

I was wondering the same thing.

"Synkro" <cjw@orange-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Can you hear it spin up when you turn the power on?
> If not its def. dead.
>
> If it wont detect as master on primary ide with no other drives
> connected at all, and you are sure cables are the right way round
> (some dont have the notches) Then its......DEAD. :cry:

My current hd is 40gb. could this be a bios thing? 120gb too much. also
this drive is 133. my other one is 66 or 100. I don't know what the mobo
or the cable is. Its definitely faster than 33. I don't know if it needs
to be special to be 133 compatible. But if the master is running at 100 how
will that affect my maxtor?

Without information about your mother board, windows OS and HD size, it is
hard to diagnose your problem, I can only guess the possibilities:

1. Simply a bad HD.
2. The cable connected to HD from IDE is incorrect, did you pay attention to
whether you reversed the connection cable. (the red side face the wrong side
of HD, or IDE)
3. Newer and larger HD needs 80 lines cable, which is much finer than
regular HD cable, which has only 40 lines.
4. Some old mother board can only support 8g, or 32g HD, if the HD is larger
than the limit, funny result can happen.

You mentioned "windows says driver installed and device enabled" , does
this come from Windows device manager? You must hold the BIO table display
during the booting, to see whether the second IDE master/slave device are
all showing in the table, not from device manager.

"Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
:ZmNnd.19288$up1.17536@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

"Martin G.1.0" <ghz1866@nospamplease.org.invalid> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
:419fc129$0$7754$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...

> "Curtis Newton" <cnewton.remove-this@akamail.com> wrote:
> >

> > hate to ask a stupid question, but have you fdisk/formatted the new
> > drive???
>
> I was wondering the same thing.

Even he did not use fdisk/formatted the new HD, Windows should still show
the letter, only when he tries to access this HD, it'll then displays error
message.

But I agree with you, my habit is to use a bootable floppy disk to boot the
machine, then use fdisk to start from there.

"¤jº~¥Á±Ú" <jsheng@worldnet.att.net> wrote :

> Even he did not use fdisk/formatted the new HD, Windows should still show
> the letter, only when he tries to access this HD, it'll then displays
> error
> message.

You sure about this?
I don't think so...

¤jº~¥Á±Ú wrote:

> "Martin G.1.0" <ghz1866@nospamplease.org.invalid> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
> :419fc129$0$7754$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
>

>>"Curtis Newton" <cnewton.remove-this@akamail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>hate to ask a stupid question, but have you fdisk/formatted the new
>>>drive???
>>
>>I was wondering the same thing.
>>

> Even he did not use fdisk/formatted the new HD, Windows should still show
> the letter,

Not in Windows 2000/XP.

> only when he tries to access this HD, it'll then displays error
> message.
>
> But I agree with you, my habit is to use a bootable floppy disk to boot the
> machine, then use fdisk to start from there.

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:25:02 GMT The moonlight laughed on the blade's
edge when "¤jº~¥Á±Ú" <jsheng@worldnet.att.net> wrote :

>"Martin G.1.0" <ghz1866@nospamplease.org.invalid> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
>:419fc129$0$7754$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
>>

>> "Curtis Newton" <cnewton.remove-this@akamail.com> wrote:
>> >

>> > hate to ask a stupid question, but have you fdisk/formatted the new
>> > drive???
>>
>> I was wondering the same thing.
>>
>Even he did not use fdisk/formatted the new HD, Windows should still show
>the letter, only when he tries to access this HD, it'll then displays error
>message.
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.Wrong.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

"Martin G.1.0" <ghz1866@nospamplease.org.invalid> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
:419fc79c$0$5887$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...

> "¤jº~¥Á±Ú" <jsheng@worldnet.att.net> wrote :
>

> > Even he did not use fdisk/formatted the new HD, Windows should still
show
> > the letter, only when he tries to access this HD, it'll then displays
> > error
> > message.
> >

> You sure about this?
> I don't think so...

I believe Windows 2000 will assign letter to the disk, even it is new and
unformatted, I remember the sequence like this:

mount new unformatted HD to PC, assure jumper and cable are all correct.
Set BIOS boot sequence to boot from CD-ROM.
Boot PC with a bootable Windows 2000 CD.
In the boot process, Windows 2000 will ask you to create Partitions & format
the partitions.
At this point, you have option to create partitions on each HD
At this point, you have option to format as Fat32 or NTFS on each partition.
Then you start install Windows 2000
(You don't need fdisk at all.)

I guess the fdisk is old concept used in Windows 98, you have to use a
floppy disk boot to DOS
Then use fdisk to create partitions & format every partition.
Then go back to install Windows 98.
But Windows 2000 & XP will let you work on a raw, new and unformated HD.

¤jº~¥Á±Ú wrote:

> "Martin G.1.0" <ghz1866@nospamplease.org.invalid> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
> :419fc79c$0$5887$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
>
>>"¤jº~¥Á±Ú" <jsheng@worldnet.att.net> wrote :
>>

>>>Even he did not use fdisk/formatted the new HD, Windows should still
>
> show
>
>>>the letter, only when he tries to access this HD, it'll then displays
>>>error
>>>message.
>>>

>>You sure about this?
>>I don't think so...
>>

> I believe Windows 2000 will assign letter to the disk, even it is new and
> unformatted,

No. Drive letters are assigned to partitions, not raw hard drives.

> I remember the sequence like this:
>
> mount new unformatted HD to PC, assure jumper and cable are all correct.
> Set BIOS boot sequence to boot from CD-ROM.
> Boot PC with a bootable Windows 2000 CD.

He wasn't installing Windows. He was adding a hard drive to an existing
Windows installation and wondered why it didn't show in Explorer.

> In the boot process, Windows 2000 will ask you to create Partitions & format
> the partitions.

Notice that the first thing it does is create a partition.

> At this point, you have option to create partitions on each HD

And it can now assign drive letters because you created partitions.

> At this point, you have option to format as Fat32 or NTFS on each partition.
> Then you start install Windows 2000
> (You don't need fdisk at all.)

*You* don't because setup makes the partitions you told it to. The
partitioning is still being done.

Now, if you're not installing Windows, but simply adding a new hard drive
to an existing installation, it better get a partition *some* how or there
aren't going to be any drive letters assigned because there's nothing to
assign them to.

The typical procedure is you go into disk management and partition/format
the drive with whatever configuration you wish.

> I guess the fdisk is old concept used in Windows 98, you have to use a
> floppy disk boot to DOS

Not if you have a bootable, fresh install (not upgrade), Windows98 CD. On
the first boot it asks if you want the drive set up and, if you say yes, it
partitions and formats it then reboots, to detect partitions and assign
drive letters, into setup.

> Then use fdisk to create partitions & format every partition.
> Then go back to install Windows 98.

Actually, Windows 2000/XP also 'goes back' to install Windows. After it
partitions and formats it'll reboot, to detect and assign the partitions
drive letters, and then proceed to set up.

> But Windows 2000 & XP will let you work on a raw, new and unformated HD.

The issue isn't whether you can *set up* Windows 2000/XP on a raw, new,
hard drive, and have it ask you what partition to make, but whether it will
automagically 'create' them when you add one to an existing system. And,
no, it won't because it has no idea what you intend to do with the thing.

Here is an example for someone adding a drive to a notebook 'media bay'
(replacing CD with a hard drive so it's an 'internal' drive). It being a
notebook is irrelevant as it's the same thing adding one to an 'internal
bay' in a desktop.

http://www.bay-wolf.com/setupmedbay.htm

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:36:19 -0700, Curtis Newton
<cnewton.remove-this@akamail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:59:53 GMT, "Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Installed a maxtor on secondary ide. made a slave after my dvd ram drive.
>>windows detected it. windows says driver installed and device enabled. but
>>it isn't showing up in my computer as a drive.
>>

>hate to ask a stupid question, but have you fdisk/formatted the new
>drive???

I just saw where Mr. Jessop posted this is another thread (someone
fixed the spelling and changed the title to "maxtor hard disk
problems".

Anyway in the other thread, Mr. Jessop says "I am well aware it needs
formatting i was hoping that could be done in Windows".

So, that to me would suggest he hasn't fdisk'd / formatted the drive
before trying to access it through Windows.

Mr Jessop wrote:

> Installed a maxtor on secondary ide. made a slave after my dvd ram
> drive.
> windows detected it. windows says driver installed and device enabled.
> but it isn't showing up in my computer as a drive.
>
> So i removed. checked that the jumper set to cable select it is. So i
> tried setting it to slave (by removing jumper altogether). Switch on
> again no difference.
>
> Tried bios set manually to lba and user install instead of auto. Machine
> wouldn't get past detect stage.
>
> Have tried cable select with new drive as slave on the primary ide
> channel.
> set bios back to auto detect. windows boot up fine but doesn't accept
> that new drive exists at all in device manager.

Did you use Maxtor's MaxBlast software to setup the drive? If you don't, the
computer may see that it's there, but Windows won't put it in My Computer.

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/ATA%20Hard%20Drives&downloadID=19

> Even he did not use fdisk/formatted the new HD, Windows should still show
> the letter, only when he tries to access this HD, it'll then displays
> error
> message.

not it doesnt... you MUST use disk manager to create a partition that as an
assigned letter.

hamman

In article <2vPnd.943961$Gx4.48363@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
¤jº~¥Á±Ú says...

> Even he did not use fdisk/formatted the new HD, Windows should still show
> the letter, only when he tries to access this HD, it'll then displays error
> message.

WRONG. Windows won't show diddly squat. It'll only show a letter if a
partition has been created, i.e FDISKed. The situation you describe is
for an unformatted partition.

--
Conor

Normality will be restored once we work out what normality actually is.

In article <WzWnd.945993$Gx4.58805@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
¤jº~¥Á±Ú says...

> "Martin G.1.0" <ghz1866@nospamplease.org.invalid> ?¶?g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
> :419fc79c$0$5887$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
> >
> > "?jº~¥Á±Ú" <jsheng@worldnet.att.net> wrote :
> >

> > > Even he did not use fdisk/formatted the new HD, Windows should still
> show
> > > the letter, only when he tries to access this HD, it'll then displays
> > > error
> > > message.
> > >

> > You sure about this?
> > I don't think so...
> >
> I believe Windows 2000 will assign letter to the disk, even it is new and
> unformatted, I remember the sequence like this:

Then you believe wrong.

--

"¤jº~¥Á±Ú" <jsheng@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Without information about your mother board, windows OS and HD size, it is
> hard to diagnose your problem, I can only guess the possibilities:

disk drive is 120gb

existing one is 40gb ata 100

motherboard is a an elitegroup k7s5a

user installed setting in bios indicates 120gb is doable.

I was referring to device manager in windows. not diskmanager

red stripe on cable lines up with no 1 on interface.

I am well aware it needs formatting i was hoping that could be done in
windows.

previous drives have had a tiny amount of software on board for this sort of
thing. a bit more modern than fdisk. The software is also some sort of
hack for bioses that can't usually cope. Finally some of these little
software patches also allow for copying everything to a new drive to make
that the bootable one. It means a little swapping about with jumpers
between slave and master or there is the cable select option.

Its been three years since i built my own one and i'm getting a bit rusty.
This is my first ata133 drive too. I was hoping that without the correct
cable it would simply run at a slower speed not cease to function at all.
Cos if i remember correctly if you have two drives on the same cable the
protocol setup will be for the slowest of the two.

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:35:55 GMT, "Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com>
wrote:

>I am well aware it needs formatting i was hoping that could be done in
>windows.

I asked this is a similar thread; no reply. Will ask again:

Have you run the Maxtor maxblast software or used the old fashioned
method of fdisking/formatting the drive (not through a windows
interface but via DOS) before trying to use it in Windows??

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
> Mr Jessop wrote:
>
>> Installed a maxtor on secondary ide. made a slave after my dvd ram
>> drive. windows detected it. windows says driver installed and device
>> enabled. but it isn't showing up in my computer as a drive.
>
> It won't if it isn't partitioned. 'Drive' letters are assigned to
> partitions, not raw drives.
>
> Can't say much more as you didn't mention which 'Windows' you're running.

xp with service pack 2

>> So i removed. checked that the jumper set to cable select it is. So i
>> tried setting it to slave (by removing jumper altogether). Switch on
>> again no difference.
>
> Same as above.

oops!

>> Tried bios set manually to lba and user install instead of auto. Machine
>> wouldn't get past detect stage.
>>
>> Have tried cable select with new drive as slave on the primary ide
>> channel. set bios back to auto detect. windows boot up fine but doesn't
>> accept that new drive exists at all in device manager.
>
> What is the master drive strapped for? If it's a Western Digital, for
> example, the settings are different for single master and master with
> slave present.

Strapped? The first master drive i tried was my lg dvd writer. most people
told me that had to be a master to stop buffer underruns.

The second time i tried slaving from the hard disk. That didn't show up in
windows at all.

the first disk is an ibm deskstar 40gb 7200rpm with 8mb of onboard cache.

Mr Jessop wrote:

> "¤jº~¥Á±Ú" <jsheng@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>
>>Without information about your mother board, windows OS and HD size, it is
>>hard to diagnose your problem, I can only guess the possibilities:
>

> disk drive is 120gb
>
> existing one is 40gb ata 100
>
> motherboard is a an elitegroup k7s5a
>
> user installed setting in bios indicates 120gb is doable.
>
> I was referring to device manager in windows. not diskmanager
>
> red stripe on cable lines up with no 1 on interface.
>

> I am well aware it needs formatting i was hoping that could be done in
> windows.
>
> previous drives have had a tiny amount of software on board for this sort of
> thing. a bit more modern than fdisk. The software is also some sort of
> hack for bioses that can't usually cope. Finally some of these little
> software patches also allow for copying everything to a new drive to make
> that the bootable one. It means a little swapping about with jumpers
> between slave and master or there is the cable select option.
>
> Its been three years since i built my own one and i'm getting a bit rusty.
> This is my first ata133 drive too.

I seem to vaguely remember reading somewhere that ATA133 drives can
sometimes fail to operate properly with ATA100 controllers and need to be
'set' to ATA100 by whatever diagnostic comes with it.

Mr Jessop wrote:

> "¤jº~¥Á±Ú" <jsheng@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>
>>Without information about your mother board, windows OS and HD size, it is
>>hard to diagnose your problem, I can only guess the possibilities:
>

> disk drive is 120gb
>
> existing one is 40gb ata 100
>
> motherboard is a an elitegroup k7s5a
>
> user installed setting in bios indicates 120gb is doable.
>
> I was referring to device manager in windows. not diskmanager
>
> red stripe on cable lines up with no 1 on interface.
>

> I am well aware it needs formatting i was hoping that could be done in
> windows.

Have you gone into disk manager to see if it's there and what it says about
partitions? That's where you partition and format them.

Mr Jessop wrote:

> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
>
>>Mr Jessop wrote:
>>

>>>Installed a maxtor on secondary ide. made a slave after my dvd ram
>>>drive. windows detected it. windows says driver installed and device
>>>enabled. but it isn't showing up in my computer as a drive.
>>
>>It won't if it isn't partitioned. 'Drive' letters are assigned to
>>partitions, not raw drives.
>>
>>Can't say much more as you didn't mention which 'Windows' you're running.
>

> xp with service pack 2

OK. Then put it back as slave to the DVD, since that showed in BIOS and
device manager, and go into disk manager and see if it's there. Should be
showing as a raw drive with no partitions (since it's not showing in my
computer). Partition and format it.

>>>So i removed. checked that the jumper set to cable select it is. So i
>>>tried setting it to slave (by removing jumper altogether). Switch on
>>>again no difference.
>>
>>Same as above.
>

> oops!
>

>>>Tried bios set manually to lba and user install instead of auto. Machine
>>>wouldn't get past detect stage.
>>>
>>>Have tried cable select with new drive as slave on the primary ide
>>>channel. set bios back to auto detect. windows boot up fine but doesn't
>>>accept that new drive exists at all in device manager.
>>
>>What is the master drive strapped for? If it's a Western Digital, for
>>example, the settings are different for single master and master with
>>slave present.
>

> Strapped?

Jumpers... master.. slave... master with slave, etc. It's called
'strapping' too.

"Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
> Mr Jessop wrote:
>
>> Installed a maxtor on secondary ide. made a slave after my dvd ram
>> drive.
>> windows detected it. windows says driver installed and device enabled.
>> but it isn't showing up in my computer as a drive.
>>
>> So i removed. checked that the jumper set to cable select it is. So i
>> tried setting it to slave (by removing jumper altogether). Switch on
>> again no difference.
>>
>> Tried bios set manually to lba and user install instead of auto. Machine
>> wouldn't get past detect stage.
>>
>> Have tried cable select with new drive as slave on the primary ide
>> channel.
>> set bios back to auto detect. windows boot up fine but doesn't accept
>> that new drive exists at all in device manager.
>
> Did you use Maxtor's MaxBlast software to setup the drive? If you don't,
> the
> computer may see that it's there, but Windows won't put it in My Computer.
>
> http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/ATA%20Hard%20Drives&downloadID=19

Thanks mate. I remember when maxblast fitted on a single floppy sigh!