linux raid 5 pc

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 20, 2004 6:09:57 PM

pretend for a minute you had to get 10 internal HD's in one case. ( 2
are getting mirrored for a linux OS, and the other 8 are gonna get put
in a raid 5 config for a massive NAS area ) The pc will do little,
needs no Sound card, and a minimal Video card, its gonna sit out on
the network and serve files. thats it.

I am having difficulty understanding 2 things. First off, are there
cases that I can put that many drives in ?

And, will purchasing 4 PCI IDE cards get my 8 drives connected into
the mother board ok? Any hardware anyone can suggest for me to
check-into would be appreciated.

More about : linux raid

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 20, 2004 10:34:09 PM

Jason wrote:

> pretend for a minute you had to get 10 internal HD's in one case. ( 2
> are getting mirrored for a linux OS, and the other 8 are gonna get put
> in a raid 5 config for a massive NAS area ) The pc will do little,
> needs no Sound card, and a minimal Video card, its gonna sit out on
> the network and serve files. thats it.

What kind of files is it serving? Reason being IDE is not necessarily the
best solution for file serving.

> I am having difficulty understanding 2 things. First off, are there
> cases that I can put that many drives in ?

Well, sure. Not a 'typical' PC Case, though.

Also depends on what kind of bays. You're using RAID 5. Are you going to
need hot swap? What is this file server for? Something 'casual' so taking
it down to fiddle with the drives is no problem or is up time something to
worry about?

If they need to be hot swap then you'll need them in hot swap racks.
And if up time is a concern what about a redundant PSU?

Here's an example of a server case with enough 5.25 inch bays for 'one per
bay' hot swap racks.

http://www.rackmountpro.com/productsearch.php?catid=124

'One per bay' hot swap rack

http://www.rackmountpro.com/productpage.php?prodid=633

You could use a smaller case, with fewer 5.25 inch bays by using this
fellah to convert 2 5.25 bays into 3 IDE hot swap bays.

http://www.rackmountpro.com/productpage.php?prodid=1514

If you're just slapping something together then you could mix some in 3.5
inch bays and the rest (with simple plate adapters) in 5.25 inch bays and
use any 14 bay (2 are floppy) PC case. The problem you'll have there is
cooling them.

A 'compromise' with true hot swap might be to use the larger case above
with 'el cheapo' 5.25 inch 'removable' IDE trays. You'd still have to bring
it down to replace a drive but you wouldn't need to crack the case and
fiddle with cables and screw mounts. You just power down, slide the bad one
out, new one in, and hit power.

> And, will purchasing 4 PCI IDE cards get my 8 drives connected into
> the mother board ok?

Typical PCI IDE cards handle 4 drives on two ports. Or is there some reason
you're putting only one drive per port?

> Any hardware anyone can suggest for me to
> check-into would be appreciated.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 21, 2004 2:12:45 AM

David Maynard wrote:

> Jason wrote:
>
>> pretend for a minute you had to get 10 internal HD's in one case. ( 2
>> are getting mirrored for a linux OS, and the other 8 are gonna get put
>> in a raid 5 config for a massive NAS area ) The pc will do little,
>> needs no Sound card, and a minimal Video card, its gonna sit out on
>> the network and serve files. thats it.
>

> What kind of files is it serving? Reason being IDE is not necessarily
> the best solution for file serving.
>
>> I am having difficulty understanding 2 things. First off, are there
>> cases that I can put that many drives in ?
>

> Well, sure. Not a 'typical' PC Case, though.
>
> Also depends on what kind of bays. You're using RAID 5. Are you going to
> need hot swap? What is this file server for? Something 'casual' so
> taking it down to fiddle with the drives is no problem or is up time
> something to worry about?
>
> If they need to be hot swap then you'll need them in hot swap racks.
> And if up time is a concern what about a redundant PSU?
>
> Here's an example of a server case with enough 5.25 inch bays for 'one
> per bay' hot swap racks.
>
> http://www.rackmountpro.com/productsearch.php?catid=124
>
> 'One per bay' hot swap rack
>
> http://www.rackmountpro.com/productpage.php?prodid=633
>
> You could use a smaller case, with fewer 5.25 inch bays by using this
> fellah to convert 2 5.25 bays into 3 IDE hot swap bays.
>
> http://www.rackmountpro.com/productpage.php?prodid=1514
>
> If you're just slapping something together then you could mix some in
> 3.5 inch bays and the rest (with simple plate adapters) in 5.25 inch
> bays and use any 14 bay (2 are floppy) PC case. The problem you'll have
> there is cooling them.
>
> A 'compromise' with true hot swap might be to use the larger case above
> with 'el cheapo' 5.25 inch 'removable' IDE trays. You'd still have to
> bring it down to replace a drive but you wouldn't need to crack the case
> and fiddle with cables and screw mounts. You just power down, slide the
> bad one out, new one in, and hit power.
>
>> And, will purchasing 4 PCI IDE cards get my 8 drives connected into
>> the mother board ok?
>

> Typical PCI IDE cards handle 4 drives on two ports. Or is there some
> reason you're putting only one drive per port?
>
>> Any hardware anyone can suggest for me to
>> check-into would be appreciated.

Use a Coolermaster CM Stacker Case.

One way to get more drives is to use an external SCSI Box. Or use an
internal Scsi Ribbon. Really to get this many drives working you are
better off with a real server. 10 drives is a lot.
!