need some advice on temperature sensors

got a new case yesterday and am pretty happy with it.

It came with an lcd display panel which is connected to three cables on
the inside of the case with temperature sensors at the endof each one.
One for sys (system), one for hdd (hard drive) and one for the cpu.

at the end of each cable the sensors them selves are shielded in a
plastic tube with the end open. (should I take the plastic tubes off ?)

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to use these, the case
did come with an instruction manual but it didn't really mention how or
where exactly to mount the sensors. I guess its probably not such a
good idea to shove the cpu sensor into the middle of the heatsink right ?.

Any help appreciated.

--
Eps

I shoved mine in the CPU heat sink, down into it. The other, I have in
the northbridge heat sink. I didn't have plastic tube on it, just what
looks like brown scoth tape over where two wires are joined, standard
thermocouple. My temps are : CPU (P4 @ 3.0 Ghz, Hyperthreading on = 30
degC. Northbridge is 31 deg C.

"burchill" <burchill@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> got a new case yesterday and am pretty happy with it.
>
> It came with an lcd display panel which is connected to three cables on
> the inside of the case with temperature sensors at the endof each one. One
> for sys (system), one for hdd (hard drive) and one for the cpu.
>
> at the end of each cable the sensors them selves are shielded in a plastic
> tube with the end open. (should I take the plastic tubes off ?)
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to use these, the case did
> come with an instruction manual but it didn't really mention how or where
> exactly to mount the sensors. I guess its probably not such a good idea
> to shove the cpu sensor into the middle of the heatsink right ?.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> --
> Eps

Well, it appears that you do take the plastic sleeves off.

For the CPU, you can shove it into the heat sink. In fact you should shove
it( so to speak) as close to the CPU as you can reasonably get it. Consider
some kind of a cable stabilizer/strain relief as you don't want the
connection to the sensor to be stressed.

The 'system' monitor classically goes to the north side bridge heat sink.

The HDD sensor is better put better use when measuring the air temp inside
the case, That is the air temp circulated by the heat sink fan.
JPS