Scandisk freezing

Why does my scandisk freeze when it comes up after
an improper shutdown?
It refuses to be run under Windows also, when I use the maitainance wizard
or tools in properties.
On the other hand it works in safe mode.
The same goes for defrag also.
This problem has been discussed before, but I need a refresher course.
Anyone?
Thanks.

Harry.
9 answers Last reply
More about scandisk freezing

    "Why does my scandisk freeze when it comes up after an improper shutdown?"

    Just before shutdown, if everything has worked properly, a single bit, the
    fourth bit in the eighth byte of FAT32, is set to indicate same. It
    anything interferes with the shutdown, this bit is not set by VFAT. The bit
    is interrogated at the next startup to determine if a proper shutdown
    occurred previously. If not, scandisk will default to run before Windows is
    loaded. This can be disabled, but is not recommended.
    Running scandisk to completion and then shutting down allows the bit to be
    reset, indicating proper shutdown.
    A common fault preventing shutdown is some driver which is not responding to
    the shutdown protocol, typically by hanging. This is similar to the
    msgsrv32.exe error messages:

    "Function of the Windows 32-Bit Message Server"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q138/7/08.asp)

    "Msgsrv32 Not Responding When Computer Hangs While Idle"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q169/9/87.asp).

    Err Msg: Msgsrv32 Caused a General Protection Fault in User.exe [Q262998]
    http://support.microsoft.com?scid=kb;EN-US;Q262998

    See the section titled "How Win.com Determines Improper Shutdown" in the
    Win98 Resource Kit, p. 451, for more details.
    ----

    "This problem has been discussed before, but I need a refresher course."

    Scandisk and defrag will be interrupted if any executing program
    interrogates the HD. Booting to Safe Mode prevents the launching of many
    programs which do so under Normal Mode.

    The fine, free utility, ScanDefrag, will run Disk Cleanup, Scandisk, and
    Defrag at restart, before Windows is loaded, to avoid such inteference:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/main.htm
    http://www.blueorbsoft.com/scandefrag/index.html

    Alternatively, one can use a "process viewer" to report all executing
    processes, and to terminate any which are not core WinME modules:

    Obtain the free MS "process viewer" tool, Wintop, at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/wutoys/w95kerneltoy/default.asp

    or the free "Process Explorer"
    www.sysinternals.com

    or the third-party tool, TaskInfo2003, at
    http://www.iarsn.com $US 35

    or PRC View, at http://www.xmlsp.com/pview/prcview.htm
    PRC View is now bundled with Norton System Works 2002.

    or ATM from http://anothertaskmanager.cjb.net/

    or Task Manager 0.9.7 for Windows® 95, 98, and ME)
    http://www.niresoft.com/tm.asp (Niresoft Solutions -

    or Freemeter
    http://www.tiler.com/freemeter/

    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    > Why does my scandisk freeze when it comes up after
    > an improper shutdown?
    > It refuses to be run under Windows also, when I use the maitainance wizard
    > or tools in properties.
    > On the other hand it works in safe mode.
    > The same goes for defrag also.
    > This problem has been discussed before, but I need a refresher course.
    > Anyone?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Harry.

    That's a tall order, Jack, but I will tackle it, one thing at a time. As
    soon as finished, I'll let you know.
    Thank you for the quick response.

    Harry.

> [...]
    > http://www.iarsn.com $US 35
    >
    > or PRC View, at http://www.xmlsp.com/pview/prcview.htm
    > PRC View is now bundled with Norton System Works 2002.
    >
    > or ATM from http://anothertaskmanager.cjb.net/
    >
    > or Task Manager 0.9.7 for Windows® 95, 98, and ME)
    > http://www.niresoft.com/tm.asp (Niresoft Solutions -
    >
    > or Freemeter
    > http://www.tiler.com/freemeter/

    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > > Why does my scandisk freeze when it comes up after
    > > an improper shutdown?
    > > It refuses to be run under Windows also, when I use the maitainance
    wizard
    > > or tools in properties.
    > > On the other hand it works in safe mode.
    > > The same goes for defrag also.
    > > This problem has been discussed before, but I need a refresher course.

    Jack:

    I just found out, as soon as I initiate the Process Explorer,
    my firewall informs me of a port scan attack being logged.
    I don't see anything wrong within the Explorer Window.
    Secondly, I have ScanDefrag and that one hangs for me too. What gives?

> [...]

    > http://www.iarsn.com $US 35
    >
    > or PRC View, at http://www.xmlsp.com/pview/prcview.htm
    > PRC View is now bundled with Norton System Works 2002.
    >
    > or ATM from http://anothertaskmanager.cjb.net/
    >
    > or Task Manager 0.9.7 for Windows® 95, 98, and ME)
    > http://www.niresoft.com/tm.asp (Niresoft Solutions -
    >
    > or Freemeter
    > http://www.tiler.com/freemeter/

    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > > Why does my scandisk freeze when it comes up after
    > > an improper shutdown?
    > > It refuses to be run under Windows also, when I use the maitainance
    wizard
    > > or tools in properties.
    > > On the other hand it works in safe mode.
    > > The same goes for defrag also.
    > > This problem has been discussed before, but I need a refresher course.

    1) While I do not know exactly, I would suspect that PE is initiating the
    port scan which is trapped by your personal firewall. You can send a
    question to PE's author, at System Internals, and I suspect he will rapidly
    respond. I do not see same, and would not worry about it.

    2) If ScanDefrag is hanging, we certainly want to know about it, as such
    should not happen.. May I first recommend obtaining the latest version and
    repeating the attempt to run it. Keep careful, precise notes, and if it
    still fails, send a report to the authors of ScanDefrag, who will jump on it
    immediately.
    Then tell us how you resolved the problem <vbg>.

> [...]
    > > http://www.niresoft.com/tm.asp (Niresoft Solutions -
    > >
    > > or Freemeter
    > > http://www.tiler.com/freemeter/
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > > ------
    > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > > > Why does my scandisk freeze when it comes up after
    > > > an improper shutdown?
    > > > It refuses to be run under Windows also, when I use the maitainance
    > wizard
    > > > or tools in properties.
    > > > On the other hand it works in safe mode.
    > > > The same goes for defrag also.
    > > > This problem has been discussed before, but I need a refresher course.

    Jack:

    That advice is very useful and to be followed by me,
    step by step, because I would like to see it all working properly myself.
    Please, allow me a little extra time.
    Besides my health issues I have this other problem where
    in internet properties the proxy setting for my ISP somehow automatically
    gets checked without my knowledge and when it is not supposed to be.
    If that happens, I cannot do anything on the internet.
    I am fortunate to have discovered it myself, before creating more problems.
    Thanks for being there, Jack.

    Harry.

> [...]
    > > >
    > > > Alternatively, one can use a "process viewer" to report all executing
    > > > processes, and to terminate any which are not core WinME modules:
    > > >
    > > > Obtain the free MS "process viewer" tool, Wintop, at

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/wutoys/w95kerneltoy/default.asp

    > > > or the free "Process Explorer"
    > > > www.sysinternals.com
    > > >
    > > > or the third-party tool, TaskInfo2003, at
    > > > http://www.iarsn.com $US 35
    > > >
    > > > or PRC View, at http://www.xmlsp.com/pview/prcview.htm
    > > > PRC View is now bundled with Norton System Works 2002.
    > > >
    > > > or ATM from http://anothertaskmanager.cjb.net/
    > > >
    > > > or Task Manager 0.9.7 for Windows® 95, 98, and ME)
    > > > http://www.niresoft.com/tm.asp (Niresoft Solutions -
    > > >
    > > > or Freemeter
    > > > http://www.tiler.com/freemeter/
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS

    Harry wrote: " ...the proxy setting for my ISP somehow automatically gets
    checked without my knowledge ..."

    Did you mean to type "... gets changed ..." ?

    If so, please repost this problem in our sister Millennium ng,
    "microsoft.public.windowsme.networking", where numerous expert commenters,
    including one of our very best MVP's,

    "Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows Networking
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ
    http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm "

    will immediately help you.

    > Jack:
    >
    > That advice is very useful and to be followed by me,
    > step by step, because I would like to see it all working properly myself.
    > Please, allow me a little extra time.
    > Besides my health issues, I have this other problem where
    > in internet properties the proxy setting for my ISP somehow automatically
    > gets checked without my knowledge and when it is not supposed to be.
    > If that happens, I cannot do anything on the internet.
    > I am fortunate to have discovered it myself, before creating more
    problems.
    > Thanks for being there, Jack.
    >
    > Harry.

    <SNIP>

    Jack;

    In internet properties/connections/settings under automatic configuration I
    leave proxy server empty, but it sometimes gets checked behind the scenes
    and that creates problems for me. I meant "checked".
    Should I try the other NG anyway?

    Harry.

    > Harry wrote: " ...the proxy setting for my ISP somehow automatically gets
    > checked without my knowledge ..."
    >
    > Did you mean to type "... gets changed ..." ?
    >
    > If so, please repost this problem in our sister Millennium ng,
    > "microsoft.public.windowsme.networking", where numerous expert commenters,
    > including one of our very best MVP's,
    >
    > "Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)
    >
    > Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows Networking
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >
    > Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ
    > http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm "
    >
    > will immediately help you.

    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > > Jack:
    > >
    > > That advice is very useful and to be followed by me,
    > > step by step, because I would like to see it all working properly
    myself.
    > > Please, allow me a little extra time.
    > > Besides my health issues, I have this other problem where
    > > in internet properties the proxy setting for my ISP somehow
    automatically
    > > gets checked without my knowledge and when it is not supposed to be.
    > > If that happens, I cannot do anything on the internet.
    > > I am fortunate to have discovered it myself, before creating more
    > problems.
    > > Thanks for being there, Jack.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > <SNIP>

    Ah, you meant the proxy checkbox gets "checked", ... which is a change
    <bg>.
    (Are we rehearsing for Letterman and Leno now?)

    Yes, post this problem in our sister ng.

    > Jack;
    >
    > In internet properties/connections/settings under automatic configuration
    > leave proxy server empty, but it sometimes gets checked behind the scenes
    > and that creates problems for me. I meant "checked".
    > Should I try the other NG anyway?
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    > > Harry wrote: " ...the proxy setting for my ISP somehow automatically
    gets
    > > checked without my knowledge ..."
    > >
    > > Did you mean to type "... gets changed ..." ?
    > >
    > > If so, please repost this problem in our sister Millennium ng,
    > > "microsoft.public.windowsme.networking", where numerous expert
    commenters,
    > > including one of our very best MVP's,
    > >
    > > "Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)
    > >
    > > Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows Networking
    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >
    > > Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ
    > > http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm "
    > >
    > > will immediately help you.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > > ------
    > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > > > Jack:
    > > >
    > > > That advice is very useful and to be followed by me,
    > > > step by step, because I would like to see it all working properly
    > myself.
    > > > Please, allow me a little extra time.
    > > > Besides my health issues, I have this other problem where
    > > > in internet properties the proxy setting for my ISP somehow
    > automatically
    > > > gets checked without my knowledge and when it is not supposed to be.
    > > > If that happens, I cannot do anything on the internet.
    > > > I am fortunate to have discovered it myself, before creating more
    > > problems.
    > > > Thanks for being there, Jack.
    > > >
    > > > Harry.
    > > >

    > > <SNIP>

    After all the trouble I went through to find a solution for this problem, it
    was cleared up in seconds.
    The cause of it are the running processes in Systray.
    Once disabled, Scandisk and Defrag are working perfectly under Windows.
    Trying to rewind my memory I seem to recall that Mike
    or someone mentioned this solution a long time ago, but can't be sure and
    didn't remember.
    Thanks everyone.

    Harry.

    > Why does my scandisk freeze when it comes up after
    > an improper shutdown?
    > It refuses to be run under Windows also, when I use the maitainance wizard
    > or tools in properties.
    > On the other hand it works in safe mode.
    > The same goes for defrag also.
    > This problem has been discussed before, but I need a refresher course.
    > Anyone?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Harry.

Microsoft Windows