which video card, tv tuner?

Hi,

Here's the system:
Asus K8V-X mobo
AMD athlon 64 3000 cpu
256 DD400 ram

This is a new build for my sister who constantly changers her mind! Anyway,
the above is bought. Next case:
She wants a tv turner in it.

I have no video card for it yet, and I have no expeience with tv tuners in
computers at all. Can anyone recommend a video card / TV tuner combo for
the system. I'm guessing they make combo cards, and if so, would buying
seperate cards be better? The local screw driver shop said they can get me
a tv tuner card for $60. They charged $450 for the CPU (retail box 3 yr
warrenty w fan, etc.), mobo, and kingston memory.

Thanks for your ideas.

Allen
7 answers Last reply
More about which video card tuner

    "!Allen Lasting" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Here's the system:
    > Asus K8V-X mobo
    > AMD athlon 64 3000 cpu
    > 256 DD400 ram
    >
    > This is a new build for my sister who constantly changers her mind!
    > Anyway, the above is bought. Next case:
    > She wants a tv turner in it.
    >
    > I have no video card for it yet, and I have no expeience with tv tuners in
    > computers at all. Can anyone recommend a video card / TV tuner combo for
    > the system. I'm guessing they make combo cards, and if so, would buying
    > seperate cards be better? The local screw driver shop said they can get
    > me a tv tuner card for $60. They charged $450 for the CPU (retail box 3
    > yr warrenty w fan, etc.), mobo, and kingston memory.
    >
    > Thanks for your ideas.
    >
    > Allen

    It's tough to recommend cards not knowing what your sister wants to do with
    it. But she definitely wants separate cards. The following would be a good
    match for the hardware she already has. -Dave

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-125-128&depa=0
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-122-180&depa=0

    !Allen Lasting wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Here's the system:
    > Asus K8V-X mobo
    > AMD athlon 64 3000 cpu
    > 256 DD400 ram
    >
    > This is a new build for my sister who constantly changers her mind! Anyway,
    > the above is bought. Next case:
    > She wants a tv turner in it.
    >
    > I have no video card for it yet, and I have no expeience with tv tuners in
    > computers at all. Can anyone recommend a video card / TV tuner combo for
    > the system. I'm guessing they make combo cards, and if so, would buying
    > seperate cards be better? The local screw driver shop said they can get me
    > a tv tuner card for $60. They charged $450 for the CPU (retail box 3 yr
    > warrenty w fan, etc.), mobo, and kingston memory.
    >
    > Thanks for your ideas.
    >
    > Allen

    Get a separate tuner card. For one, you can upgrade one or the other
    without having to do both. Second, for an 'all-in-one' you're restricted to
    getting only those that are 'all-in-one', which limits the features you can
    get, especially in GPU performance. Lastly, the all-in-one combo cards
    usually use special chipsets that restrict you to using their software
    packages.

    If you get a PCI card using the BT8xx chipset there are many excellent
    freeware programs, as well as drivers. See here for drivers and supported
    cards:

    http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/index.html

    If all you want to do is slap a TV picture on the CRT then just about any
    old card will do, as long as there are drivers for it (being BT8xx
    compatible sure helps in that department).

    From there you start thinking of additional features. If you want to
    record TV (freeware Personal Video Recorder software, etc) then you want to
    look into MPEG capability. Do you want an FM tuner as well? What about a
    remote control? S-Video input for external device video capture, or does
    RCA input satisfy your needs?

    http://www.videohelp.com/ has a capture card (includes tuners) section with
    user reviews. Note: those complaining about drivers and software could
    likely solve a lot of those problems with freeware drivers (the advantage
    of using 'standard', or 'popular', components).

    Check http://www.pricewatch.com for prices. You can get a basic PCI TV
    tuner card for as little as 20 bucks (free shipping), if that's all you
    need. See here http://www.softwareandstuff.com/CRD10186.html

    !Allen Lasting wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Here's the system:
    > Asus K8V-X mobo
    > AMD athlon 64 3000 cpu
    > 256 DD400 ram
    >
    > This is a new build for my sister who constantly changers her mind! Anyway,
    > the above is bought. Next case:
    > She wants a tv turner in it.
    >
    > I have no video card for it yet, and I have no expeience with tv tuners in
    > computers at all. Can anyone recommend a video card / TV tuner combo for
    > the system. I'm guessing they make combo cards, and if so, would buying
    > seperate cards be better? The local screw driver shop said they can get me
    > a tv tuner card for $60. They charged $450 for the CPU (retail box 3 yr
    > warrenty w fan, etc.), mobo, and kingston memory.
    >
    > Thanks for your ideas.
    >
    > Allen

    I highly recommend the WinTV-PVR 250 or the 350 which adds an FM
    tuner. It comes with all of the software you need to capture, edit and
    author. It will even capture copy protected VHS tapes.

    Good luck, jimbo

    buy seperate cards. you may never need a new tv tuner but you'll likely want
    to upgrade the video card sometime.

    check the capture card section of www.videohelp.com for a tv tuner.

    jimbo wrote:

    > !Allen Lasting wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Here's the system:
    >> Asus K8V-X mobo
    >> AMD athlon 64 3000 cpu
    >> 256 DD400 ram
    >>
    >> This is a new build for my sister who constantly changers her mind!
    >> Anyway, the above is bought. Next case:
    >> She wants a tv turner in it.
    >>
    >> I have no video card for it yet, and I have no expeience with tv
    >> tuners in computers at all. Can anyone recommend a video card / TV
    >> tuner combo for the system. I'm guessing they make combo cards, and
    >> if so, would buying seperate cards be better? The local screw driver
    >> shop said they can get me a tv tuner card for $60. They charged $450
    >> for the CPU (retail box 3 yr warrenty w fan, etc.), mobo, and kingston
    >> memory.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your ideas.
    >>
    >> Allen
    >>

    > I highly recommend the WinTV-PVR 250 or the 350 which adds an FM tuner.
    > It comes with all of the software you need to capture, edit and author.
    > It will even capture copy protected VHS tapes.
    >
    > Good luck, jimbo

    That's a good choice, especially if one wants to also do video capture
    (PVR) because it includes a hardware MPEG1/2 encoder, which greatly reduces
    CPU loading. It's also the most widely supported.

    http://www.htpcnews.com/main.php?id=pvr_card_id_guide

    DVICO FusionHDTV3 Gold T
    http://www.copperbox.com/lite/htpc.php

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:01:24 -0500, "!Allen Lasting"
    <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Here's the system:
    >Asus K8V-X mobo
    >AMD athlon 64 3000 cpu
    >256 DD400 ram
    >
    >This is a new build for my sister who constantly changers her mind! Anyway,
    >the above is bought. Next case:
    >She wants a tv turner in it.
    >
    >I have no video card for it yet, and I have no expeience with tv tuners in
    >computers at all. Can anyone recommend a video card / TV tuner combo for
    >the system. I'm guessing they make combo cards, and if so, would buying
    >seperate cards be better? The local screw driver shop said they can get me
    >a tv tuner card for $60. They charged $450 for the CPU (retail box 3 yr
    >warrenty w fan, etc.), mobo, and kingston memory.
    >
    >Thanks for your ideas.
    >
    >Allen

    Is PRV in your future checkout:

    http://mythtv.org/

Homebuilt TV Tuner Graphics Cards Systems