PS Continuous Output Current ?

For a typical quality 300 or so watt computer PS, what would a reasonable
maximum continuous current output be for the 12 v side? I'm thinking of
using one of these little switching supplies for a non-computer use and am
curious about how robust they are. TIA for any info.

- Magnusfarce

Magnusfarce wrote:

> For a typical quality 300 or so watt computer PS, what would a reasonable
> maximum continuous current output be for the 12 v side? I'm thinking of
> using one of these little switching supplies for a non-computer use and am
> curious about how robust they are. TIA for any info.
>
> - Magnusfarce

Look on the sticker, or look up the manufacturer's data sheet.

I tend do be skeptical about any kind of posted power ratings. I was
wondering if anyone had any real data on the subject.

- Magnusfarce

"Magnusfarce" <magnusfarce@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<z8WdnbgiU6HQ3j_cRVn-og@adelphia.com>...

> For a typical quality 300 or so watt computer PS, what would a reasonable
> maximum continuous current output be for the 12 v side? I'm thinking of
> using one of these little switching supplies for a non-computer use

Anywhere from 12-20A, but some supplies don't regulate well without a
1-3A load on the +5V output, meaning you may need a load resistance of
2-5 ohms (50W for the 2 ohms, 20W for the 5 ohms).

Thanks, just what I was looking for.

- Magnusfarce

Magnusfarce wrote:

> I tend do be skeptical about any kind of posted power ratings. I was
> wondering if anyone had any real data on the subject.

You'd have to check reviews for that, to decide who you 'trust', but there
is no 'real data' for simply being a 'a typical quality 300 watt' power
supply. It not only varies from manufacturer to manufacturer (and also age
as the 12 volt amperage was generally increased for the current crop of
CPUs that draw Vcore from the 12 volt rail nowadays when, before, they
didn't) but by a person's opinion of what 'typical' might mean.

Might be easier if you said how much you need.