Taskbar issue

hello

my taskbar on my win me computer does not have anything in it other than the
clock. It used to have several icons like my AVG and InCD and showing when
i plug in a usb item.. now the only thing there is the clock.
Is there a quick fix for the taskbar?

thanks
19 answers Last reply
More about taskbar issue

    Have you tried rebooting?
    --
    Alias

    "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > hello
    >
    > my taskbar on my win me computer does not have anything in it other than
    > the
    > clock. It used to have several icons like my AVG and InCD and showing
    > when
    > i plug in a usb item.. now the only thing there is the clock.
    > Is there a quick fix for the taskbar?
    >
    > thanks

    yes... a billion times!!!

    "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    > Have you tried rebooting?
    > --
    > Alias
    >
    > Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    > Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    >
    > "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > hello
    > >
    > > my taskbar on my win me computer does not have anything in it other than
    > > the
    > > clock. It used to have several icons like my AVG and InCD and showing
    > > when
    > > i plug in a usb item.. now the only thing there is the clock.
    > > Is there a quick fix for the taskbar?
    > >
    > > thanks

    If only happened recently (past few of days) AND you haven't done anything
    to cause it (as far as you know <g>) then try running System Restore and
    roll-back to the last time/date that the icons were showing on the Taskbar.

    Mart

    > yes... a billion times!!!
    >
    > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    >> Have you tried rebooting?
    >> --
    >> Alias
    >>
    >> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    >> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    >>
    >> "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > hello
    >> >
    >> > my taskbar on my win me computer does not have anything in it other
    >> > than
    >> > the
    >> > clock. It used to have several icons like my AVG and InCD and showing
    >> > when
    >> > i plug in a usb item.. now the only thing there is the clock.
    >> > Is there a quick fix for the taskbar?
    >> >
    >> > thanks

    system restore has been turned off for days... weeks even

    reformat time?

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > If only happened recently (past few of days) AND you haven't done anything
    > to cause it (as far as you know <g>) then try running System Restore and
    > roll-back to the last time/date that the icons were showing on the
    Taskbar.

    > Mart
    >

    > "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > yes... a billion times!!!
    > >
    > > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    > >> Have you tried rebooting?
    > >> --
    > >> Alias
    > >>
    > >> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email
    me.
    > >> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    > >>
    > >> "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Sounds like you have nasties on your machine. Go to Run and type in
    MSCONFIG and tell us what is in the Start Up tab.
    --
    Alias

    "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > yes... a billion times!!!
    >
    > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    >> Have you tried rebooting?
    >> --
    >> Alias
    >>
    >> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    >> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    >>
    >> "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > hello
    >> >
    >> > my taskbar on my win me computer does not have anything in it other
    >> > than
    >> > the
    >> > clock. It used to have several icons like my AVG and InCD and showing
    >> > when
    >> > i plug in a usb item.. now the only thing there is the clock.
    >> > Is there a quick fix for the taskbar?
    >> >
    >> > thanks

    do u want whats checked only or a full list with the unchecked as well?

    > Sounds like you have nasties on your machine. Go to Run and type in
    > MSCONFIG and tell us what is in the Start Up tab.
    > --
    > Alias
    >
    > Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    > Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    > "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > yes... a billion times!!!
    > >
    > > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    > >> Have you tried rebooting?
    > >> --
    > >> Alias
    > >>
    > >> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email
    me.
    > >> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    > >>
    > >> "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    What's unchecked and why did you uncheck them?

    --

    > do u want whats checked only or a full list with the unchecked as well?
    >
    > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    >> Sounds like you have nasties on your machine. Go to Run and type in
    >> MSCONFIG and tell us what is in the Start Up tab.
    >> --
    >> Alias
    >>
    >> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    >> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    >> "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > yes... a billion times!!!
    >> >
    >> > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message

    > me.

    > showing

    "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote

    > system restore has been turned off for days... weeks even
    >
    > reformat time?

    XP would be a smarter move. It's much more stable than Win Me and groovier
    imho.
    --
    Alias

    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> If only happened recently (past few of days) AND you haven't done
    >> anything
    >> to cause it (as far as you know <g>) then try running System Restore and
    >> roll-back to the last time/date that the icons were showing on the
    > Taskbar.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > yes... a billion times!!!
    >> >
    >> > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message

    > me.

    > showing

    > XP would be a smarter move.

    But it also depends on how keen you are to get WinMe back again <g>

    AND I think Alias asked a very pertinent point earlier "What's unchecked and
    why did you uncheck them?"

    However as SR isn't working, you *might* get away with the scanreg /restore
    ploy. You could try reverting to the last 'good' registry prior to the
    problem happening, to see if that will bring things back again.

    Although it is possible do this in Normal and Safe Mode, under the
    circumstances I would suggest you do it in Real Mode DOS. Try booting, using
    your Windows Startup (floppy) Disk and choose 4) Minimal Boot.

    At the A:\> prompt, type "scanreg /restore" (no quotes and note the space
    between the g and /) then press Enter.

    Follow the screen prompts and when asked, select the LAST 'good' date BEFORE
    THE PROBLEM, continuing with the instructions.

    Don't forget to remove the floppy disk BEFORE you tell the machine to
    reboot.

    Mart

    > "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote
    >
    >> system restore has been turned off for days... weeks even
    >>
    >> reformat time?
    >
    > XP would be a smarter move. It's much more stable than Win Me and groovier
    > imho.
    > --
    > Alias
    >
    > Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    > Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    >>
    >> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> If only happened recently (past few of days) AND you haven't done
    >>> anything
    >>> to cause it (as far as you know <g>) then try running System Restore and
    >>> roll-back to the last time/date that the icons were showing on the
    >> Taskbar.
    >>>
    >>> Mart
    >>>

    >>> "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >> me.

    >> showing

    Mart... and everyone else.... thank you and i'm sorry to bug you all....
    screw the ME... Win XP Pro is in the process of being installed. Not an
    upgrade... a clean install.
    I am somewhat keen on fixing these things but i think the whole mess started
    with NAV 2005... eewww!!! I have that company. I am a firm believer in AVG
    and using Spybot and Adaware....
    Again, thanks to all.

    > Mart... and everyone else.... thank you and i'm sorry to bug you all....
    > screw the ME... Win XP Pro is in the process of being installed. Not an
    > upgrade... a clean install.
    > I am somewhat keen on fixing these things but i think the whole mess
    > started
    > with NAV 2005... eewww!!! I have that company. I am a firm believer in
    > AVG
    > and using Spybot and Adaware....
    > Again, thanks to all.

    I used to love WinMe until I installed XP.
    --
    Alias

    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> > XP would be a smarter move.
    >>
    >> But it also depends on how keen you are to get WinMe back again <g>
    >>
    >> AND I think Alias asked a very pertinent point earlier "What's unchecked
    > and
    >> why did you uncheck them?"
    >>
    >> However as SR isn't working, you *might* get away with the scanreg
    > /restore
    >> ploy. You could try reverting to the last 'good' registry prior to the
    >> problem happening, to see if that will bring things back again.
    >>
    >> Although it is possible do this in Normal and Safe Mode, under the
    >> circumstances I would suggest you do it in Real Mode DOS. Try booting,
    > using
    >> your Windows Startup (floppy) Disk and choose 4) Minimal Boot.
    >>
    >> At the A:\> prompt, type "scanreg /restore" (no quotes and note the space
    >> between the g and /) then press Enter.
    >>
    >> Follow the screen prompts and when asked, select the LAST 'good' date
    > BEFORE
    >> THE PROBLEM, continuing with the instructions.
    >>
    >> Don't forget to remove the floppy disk BEFORE you tell the machine to
    >> reboot.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote

    >> > XP would be a smarter move. It's much more stable than Win Me and
    > groovier
    >> > imho.
    >> > --
    >> > Alias
    >> >
    >> > Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email
    >> > me.
    >> > Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

    > and

    > email

    > other

    Certainly a novel 'troubleshooting technique'. If you can't fix it - move
    the goal posts!
    Or should that be Change the game? <g>

    But as Alias has already inferred - 'You'll love XP'.

    Good luck

    Mart

    "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Mart... and everyone else.... thank you and i'm sorry to bug you all....
    > screw the ME... Win XP Pro is in the process of being installed. Not an
    > upgrade... a clean install.
    > I am somewhat keen on fixing these things but i think the whole mess
    > started
    > with NAV 2005... eewww!!! I have that company. I am a firm believer in
    > AVG
    > and using Spybot and Adaware....
    > Again, thanks to all.
    >

    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> > XP would be a smarter move.
    >>
    >> But it also depends on how keen you are to get WinMe back again <g>
    >>
    >> AND I think Alias asked a very pertinent point earlier "What's unchecked
    > and
    >> why did you uncheck them?"
    >>
    >> However as SR isn't working, you *might* get away with the scanreg
    > /restore
    >> ploy. You could try reverting to the last 'good' registry prior to the
    >> problem happening, to see if that will bring things back again.
    >>
    >> Although it is possible do this in Normal and Safe Mode, under the
    >> circumstances I would suggest you do it in Real Mode DOS. Try booting,
    > using
    >> your Windows Startup (floppy) Disk and choose 4) Minimal Boot.
    >>
    >> At the A:\> prompt, type "scanreg /restore" (no quotes and note the space
    >> between the g and /) then press Enter.
    >>
    >> Follow the screen prompts and when asked, select the LAST 'good' date
    > BEFORE
    >> THE PROBLEM, continuing with the instructions.
    >>
    >> Don't forget to remove the floppy disk BEFORE you tell the machine to
    >> reboot.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote

    >> > XP would be a smarter move. It's much more stable than Win Me and
    > groovier
    >> > imho.
    >> > --
    >> > Alias
    >> >
    >> > Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email
    >> > me.
    >> > Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

    > and

    > email

    > other

    Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote:

    > Certainly a novel 'troubleshooting technique'. If you can't fix it -
    > move the goal posts!
    > Or should that be Change the game? <g>
    >
    > But as Alias has already inferred - 'You'll love XP'.
    >
    > Good luck

    I can't help but wonder though what the solution will be when the poster
    has a problem with XP. :-)
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Simple.... change to Linux!!!!

    (or a Mac..... eeewwww)

    > Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Certainly a novel 'troubleshooting technique'. If you can't fix it -
    > > move the goal posts!
    > > Or should that be Change the game? <g>
    > >
    > > But as Alias has already inferred - 'You'll love XP'.
    > >
    > > Good luck
    >
    > I can't help but wonder though what the solution will be when the poster
    > has a problem with XP. :-)
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com

    And when you have a problem with Linux? Or when using a Mac? Changing
    systems and or throwing money at a problem isn't problem solving and is I
    feel nothing more than a temporary respite. Far better IMO to try and fix
    problems as they arise, if necessary by changing ones computer habits, and
    only upgrade or change systems when the time is right "for you" rather
    than as the first reaction when faced with a problem.

    BTW best of luck with XP. I hope your hardware is up to the job but with
    that proviso I doubt you'll return to Win Me or any other Win 9x system.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    lorne <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Simple.... change to Linux!!!!
    >
    > (or a Mac..... eeewwww)

    well mike.. you are right.... seems the mobo isn't up to par with xp as
    intel only offers drivers for upto W2K... oh sigh!!!
    I don't wanna go back to ME!!!
    hmm maybe update the bios?... i knew i should have changed the oil every
    5000Km!!!

    at least i can keep smiling!!!

    > And when you have a problem with Linux? Or when using a Mac? Changing
    > systems and or throwing money at a problem isn't problem solving and is I
    > feel nothing more than a temporary respite. Far better IMO to try and fix
    > problems as they arise, if necessary by changing ones computer habits, and
    > only upgrade or change systems when the time is right "for you" rather
    > than as the first reaction when faced with a problem.
    >
    > BTW best of luck with XP. I hope your hardware is up to the job but with
    > that proviso I doubt you'll return to Win Me or any other Win 9x system.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > lorne <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Simple.... change to Linux!!!!
    > >
    > > (or a Mac..... eeewwww)

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    ok, all kidding aside... it is up and running and all seems to be "not too
    bad".
    Thank you all for the enjoyable conversation while i sunk about 5 hours into
    this puppy... man what we do for friends!!!
    thanks again

    > And when you have a problem with Linux? Or when using a Mac? Changing
    > systems and or throwing money at a problem isn't problem solving and is I
    > feel nothing more than a temporary respite. Far better IMO to try and fix
    > problems as they arise, if necessary by changing ones computer habits, and
    > only upgrade or change systems when the time is right "for you" rather
    > than as the first reaction when faced with a problem.
    >
    > BTW best of luck with XP. I hope your hardware is up to the job but with
    > that proviso I doubt you'll return to Win Me or any other Win 9x system.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > lorne <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Simple.... change to Linux!!!!
    > >
    > > (or a Mac..... eeewwww)

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I'm glad to read you're up and running in XP. As I said, I doubt you'll
    be returning to Win Me once you get going unless you have hardware
    problems or an application that won't run on XP even in Compatibility
    Mode. Oh, and FYI, I've been running XP as my main OS now since January
    2001 when the original beta became sufficiently stable and usable for my
    purposes.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    lorne <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > ok, all kidding aside... it is up and running and all seems to be
    > "not too bad".
    > Thank you all for the enjoyable conversation while i sunk about 5
    > hours into this puppy... man what we do for friends!!!
    > thanks again
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote

    > well mike.. you are right.... seems the mobo isn't up to par with xp as
    > intel only offers drivers for upto W2K... oh sigh!!!
    > I don't wanna go back to ME!!!
    > hmm maybe update the bios?... i knew i should have changed the oil every
    > 5000Km!!!
    >
    > at least i can keep smiling!!!

    How old is this computer? MBs go for under $50 nowadays. I put XP Pro on an
    HP that I bought in 2000 (before XP came out) and it works fine even with
    only 256MB of PC-100 RAM and an Athlon 800. I didn't need to update a single
    driver.
    --
    Alias

    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    >> And when you have a problem with Linux? Or when using a Mac? Changing
    >> systems and or throwing money at a problem isn't problem solving and is I
    >> feel nothing more than a temporary respite. Far better IMO to try and
    >> fix
    >> problems as they arise, if necessary by changing ones computer habits,
    >> and
    >> only upgrade or change systems when the time is right "for you" rather
    >> than as the first reaction when faced with a problem.
    >>
    >> BTW best of luck with XP. I hope your hardware is up to the job but with
    >> that proviso I doubt you'll return to Win Me or any other Win 9x system.
    >> --
    >> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    >> mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >>

    >> lorne <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote: