Computer keeps dialing up internet

After my computer is turned on or rebooted, internet
explorer automatically tries to establish a connection
without the user prompting it to do so.
How can I disable this?

Thanks

Under Logon disable 'Automatic logon with current username and password' in
Settings/Control Panel/Internet Properties/Security/Custom Level and choose
'Prompt for username and password'.

Harry.

"Craiger" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After my computer is turned on or rebooted, internet
> explorer automatically tries to establish a connection
> without the user prompting it to do so.
> How can I disable this?
>
> Thanks

You need to find out what's causing it - it could be either legitimate
(Windows looking for certificate confirmation for recently-installed
programs) or malware.

Try using Process Explorer to see what's causing the link
www.sysinternals.com

You may already have a virus/spyware hijack

download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
viruses are not present on your PC
http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

- update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.

Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
CoolWebSearch hijacker.

Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
(download it without the accompanying rubbish)

download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
your system.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi