If a just built PC goes bang on power-up...

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

......what's the most likely thing I did wrong? I had a gunshot noise, a
flash, and smoke coming from (near) the PSU.

And which components are likely to be fried?

Cheers,

Fred.
59 answers Last reply
More about built bang power
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > .....what's the most likely thing I did wrong? I had a gunshot noise, a
    > flash, and smoke coming from (near) the PSU.
    >
    > And which components are likely to be fried?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Fred.

    i'm guessing you got a part of the mobo shorted to the chassis in which case
    you'll be lucky if its only the mobo and psu gone. cpu and ram aswell if
    you're unlucky
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > .....what's the most likely thing I did wrong? I had a gunshot noise, a
    > flash, and smoke coming from (near) the PSU.
    >
    > And which components are likely to be fried?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Fred.

    If you're lucky it's just the voltage selector switch on the PSU set
    incorrectly, in which case your PSU is fried. If it was a decent quality PSU
    then all your components should be fine, if it wasn't then look on the
    bright side, it's still a nice case!

    ---
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    > If you're lucky it's just the voltage selector switch on the PSU set
    > incorrectly, in which case your PSU is fried. If it was a decent quality
    > PSU then all your components should be fine, if it wasn't then look on the
    > bright side, it's still a nice case!

    It's an Antec Sonata case which comes with a 380W PSU. Where would I find
    the voltage selector switch?

    Cheers,

    Fred.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    Voltage selector switch is adjacent to power cord
    connection. A red slide switch that reads either 110 or 220.
    BTW, universal power supplies can be used anywhere in the
    world because they electronically select this switch - don't
    depend on humans. Universal supplies are standard in laptops,
    camcorders, and digital cameras. Many CRT video monitors also
    contain universal supplies.

    Unfortunately some would respond to your question
    erroneously; without first learning basic facts. Any
    acceptable computer power supply can be shorted and must not
    suffer damage. Every power supply output wire can be shorted
    together and still damage must not result. Intel specs even
    say how large this shorting wire must be.

    So why would another suggest a motherboard shorted to
    chassis would cause PSU failure - and RAM & CPU damage?
    Things damaged because the computer assembler buys his power
    supplies on hype and price rather than using good technical
    numbers. Too many computer assemblers only know that if A
    mates to B, then it must be so. They don't need know anything
    more to be an expert. They buy power supplies missing
    essential functions which is why they suffer RAM and CPU
    failure. Then they blame anything but themselves - the
    technically naive computer assembler - as reason for failure.

    If motherboard shorted to chassis causes RAM, CPU, or power
    supply failure, then reason for that failure is directly
    traceable to the human who bought components. As BigH2K says:
    > If it was a decent quality PSU then all your components
    > should be fine, ...

    Why the pop? Probably a manufacturing defect. Exactly why
    a computer assembler has a 3.5 digit multimeter to verify in
    but seconds where the problem is located. Procedures
    demonstrated previously in "Computer doesnt start at all" in
    alt.comp.hardware on 10 Jan 2004 at
    http://tinyurl.com/2t69q or
    "I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
    Feb 2004 at
    http://tinyurl.com/yvbw9 .

    Fred Finisterre wrote:
    > It's an Antec Sonata case which comes with a 380W PSU. Where would
    > I find the voltage selector switch?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    > If you're lucky it's just the voltage selector switch on the PSU set
    > incorrectly, in which case your PSU is fried. If it was a decent
    > quality PSU then all your components should be fine, if it wasn't
    > then look on the bright side, it's still a nice case!

    I think you're right. I never noticed the voltage selector switch. It was
    set to 110V and I'm in the UK so should have had it set to 230V. Doh!
    Bearing in mind the PSU looks like a fairly good one (True 380S), might I
    have got away with just blowing the PSU?

    Cheers,

    Fred.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    >> If you're lucky it's just the voltage selector switch on the PSU set
    >> incorrectly, in which case your PSU is fried. If it was a decent quality
    >> PSU then all your components should be fine, if it wasn't then look on
    >> the bright side, it's still a nice case!
    >>

    > It's an Antec Sonata case which comes with a 380W PSU. Where would I find
    > the voltage selector switch?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Fred.

    Strangely, I have the same case and PSU so I can tell you that there isn't
    one on this one. Good thing is if it was a faulty PSU then the rest of your
    stuff is ok.

    Can't really think of anything other than a PSU fault that could cause that
    so you could really do with getting hold of another to test your system
    with.

    ---
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote:

    >.....what's the most likely thing I did wrong? I had a gunshot
    >noise, a flash, and smoke coming from (near) the PSU.

    Hopefully you unplugged your computer immediately following that
    gunshot noise.

    A capacitor can make a loud bang when high voltage is applied to its
    leads. I did that accidentally once.

    Another possibility is mini terrorists inside of your computer
    [kidding].

    >And which components are likely to be fried?

    Usually I swap components when I want to know what is bad.

    Good luck.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    >> If you're lucky it's just the voltage selector switch on the PSU set
    >> incorrectly, in which case your PSU is fried. If it was a decent
    >> quality PSU then all your components should be fine, if it wasn't
    >> then look on the bright side, it's still a nice case!
    >>

    > I think you're right. I never noticed the voltage selector switch. It was
    > set to 110V and I'm in the UK so should have had it set to 230V. Doh!
    > Bearing in mind the PSU looks like a fairly good one (True 380S), might I
    > have got away with just blowing the PSU?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Fred.

    OK, so yours DOES have a voltage selector and mine doesn't.

    Probably good news I would have thought, have swapped out many PSUs where
    this has happened, even when the machines were on and switched over and
    never had anything other than the PSU damaged.

    ---
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    Sounds like you blew, at minimum, one or more of the components in the power
    supply. In addition, depending on the quality of build of the power supply
    unit, you may also have fried the motherboard.

    --
    DaveW

    "Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > .....what's the most likely thing I did wrong? I had a gunshot noise, a
    > flash, and smoke coming from (near) the PSU.
    >
    > And which components are likely to be fried?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Fred.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    I've never seen a computer power supply that did not include the 110/220
    selector switch. What brand and model number is the one you know about that
    is missing that switch?
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<cntu90$j1g$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>...

    > > If you're lucky it's just the voltage selector switch on the PSU set
    > > incorrectly, in which case your PSU is fried. If it was a decent quality
    > > PSU then all your components should be fine, if it wasn't then look on the
    > > bright side, it's still a nice case!
    > >

    > It's an Antec Sonata case which comes with a 380W PSU. Where would I find
    > the voltage selector switch?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Fred.

    The voltage selector, if it has one, will be at the rear of the PSU.
    It's meant to switch between a 110/115V and a European 230/240-volt
    line. If it's set at the lower voltage and you've connected it to your
    240V line, what you heard was most probably the main filter capacitors
    inside the PSU exploding - probably accompanied by a 'phffft' sound.
    One poster here described it as a farting sound.

    I've had a few cases like this with customers' computers and in all
    cases there was no damage other than to the PSU itself.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    I looked up the Antec Sonata with 380 Watt power supply. The Antec
    literature shows the 110/220 selector switch.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    >I looked up the Antec Sonata with 380 Watt power supply. The Antec
    >literature shows the 110/220 selector switch.

    Well mine doesn't have one so there :p

    As for you never having seen one that doesn't have a voltage selector well
    you must have a very narrow field of experience in such matters. If you
    really expect me to dismantle my PC so that I can provide you with a serial
    number I suggest you go to bed, late night obviously make you unreasonable
    :)

    Only joking with you, it's very common to have PSUs without the selector,
    Antec make a UK only model of this PSU and I suppose the switch was omitted
    as a cost cutting exercise. You really only need the selector if you're
    using it abroad and not many people actually transport their desktop
    machined around with them.

    Hang on a minute, if you send me a stamped addressed Jiffy Bag I'll send
    mine to you to have a look ;)

    ---
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    Like many Americans, I get a little provincial at times. I shouldn't assume
    that the whole world uses the exact same design variations as we do.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    http://www.antec.com/specs/true330_spe_EU.html

    >... it's very common to have PSUs without the selector,

    Might be common in the United Kingdom.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > .....what's the most likely thing I did wrong? I had a gunshot noise, a
    > flash, and smoke coming from (near) the PSU.
    >
    > And which components are likely to be fried?

    Depends.

    If an Intel system, probably the PSU and possibly the motherboard but
    doubtful.

    If an AMD system, probably the PSU and also likely that the motherboard &
    CPU has gone along with it, possibly also the memory.
    --

    I.P.Freely
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    "I.P.Freely" <i.p.freely@spamblockdsl.pipex.com> wrote:
    >"Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message

    >> .....what's the most likely thing I did wrong? I had a gunshot noise, a
    >> flash, and smoke coming from (near) the PSU.
    >> And which components are likely to be fried?
    >

    >Depends.
    >
    >If an Intel system, probably the PSU and possibly the motherboard but
    >doubtful.
    >
    >If an AMD system, probably the PSU and also likely that the motherboard &
    >CPU has gone along with it, possibly also the memory.

    Sounds like a troll (to me).

    >--
    >
    >I.P.Freely

    >From: "I.P.Freely" <i.p.freely@spamblockdsl.pipex.com>
    >Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
    >Subject: Re: If a just built PC goes bang on power-up...
    >Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:03:39 -0000

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    "BigH2K" wrote:
    > "Papa" wrote:
    > >I looked up the Antec Sonata with 380 Watt power supply. The Antec
    > >literature shows the 110/220 selector switch.
    > >

    > Well mine doesn't have one so there :p
    >
    > As for you never having seen one that doesn't have a voltage selector well
    > you must have a very narrow field of experience in such matters. If you
    > really expect me to dismantle my PC so that I can provide you with a
    serial
    > number I suggest you go to bed, late night obviously make you unreasonable
    > :)
    >
    > Only joking with you, it's very common to have PSUs without the selector,
    > Antec make a UK only model of this PSU and I suppose the switch was
    omitted
    > as a cost cutting exercise. You really only need the selector if you're
    > using it abroad and not many people actually transport their desktop
    > machined around with them.

    I've also seen PSUs with the selector switch, but upon inspection it is
    determined that the selector switch isn't wired up to anything inside of the
    unit. Probably cheaper to throw them in all units but only wire up the ones
    heading to non-US areas.

    Jon
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    > I've also seen PSUs with the selector switch, but upon inspection it
    is
    > determined that the selector switch isn't wired up to anything
    inside of the
    > unit. Probably cheaper to throw them in all units but only wire up
    the ones
    > heading to non-US areas.
    >
    > Jon

    That's one of the craziest things I've heard in awhile. Imagine the
    frustration and danger if those PSUs would ever to venture out of the
    local.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <cntuqd$87i$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, Fred Finisterre
    <finisterre@gmail.com> writes

    >> If you're lucky it's just the voltage selector switch on the PSU set
    >> incorrectly, in which case your PSU is fried. If it was a decent
    >> quality PSU then all your components should be fine, if it wasn't
    >> then look on the bright side, it's still a nice case!
    >>

    >I think you're right. I never noticed the voltage selector switch. It was
    >set to 110V and I'm in the UK so should have had it set to 230V. Doh!
    >Bearing in mind the PSU looks like a fairly good one (True 380S), might I
    >have got away with just blowing the PSU?

    If you're very lucky, you might even have got away with just blowing the
    fuse inside the PSU.
    --
    Thoss
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote in message
    > "BigH2K" <peter2004@NOTTHISBITblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >>"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    >
    >>As for you never having seen one that doesn't have a voltage
    >>selector well ...
    >
    > http://www.antec.com/specs/true330_spe_EU.html
    >
    >>... it's very common to have PSUs without the selector,
    >
    > Might be common in the United Kingdom.

    I have two Antec Sonata's bought 12 months apart, neither have power supply
    selectors ;o)

    Steve
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    > "I.P.Freely" <i.p.freely@spamblockdsl.pipex.com> wrote:
    > >"Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    > >> .....what's the most likely thing I did wrong? I had a gunshot noise, a
    > >> flash, and smoke coming from (near) the PSU.
    > >> And which components are likely to be fried?
    > >

    > >Depends.
    > >
    > >If an Intel system, probably the PSU and possibly the motherboard but
    > >doubtful.
    > >
    > >If an AMD system, probably the PSU and also likely that the motherboard &
    > >CPU has gone along with it, possibly also the memory.
    >
    > Sounds like a troll (to me).

    Nope, I was being serious.
    --

    I.P.Freely
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in news:cntuqd$87i$1
    @newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk:

    > I think you're right. I never noticed the voltage selector switch. It was
    > set to 110V and I'm in the UK so should have had it set to 230V. Doh!

    Are there any regulations regardin selling stuff with the switch set
    appropiately for the relevant country? I suspect (just a hunch) legally the
    buyer is not completely at fault in this case. Anyone?

    --
    Lordy
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    "I.P.Freely" <i.p.freely@spamblockdsl.pipex.com> wrote:
    >"John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote in message

    >> >Depends.
    >> >
    >> >If an Intel system, probably the PSU and possibly the motherboard but
    >> >doubtful.
    >> >
    >> >If an AMD system, probably the PSU and also likely that the motherboard &
    >> >CPU has gone along with it, possibly also the memory.
    >>
    >> Sounds like a troll (to me).
    >

    >Nope, I was being serious.

    Seriously trolling?

    What is your opinion based on?

    >--
    >
    >I.P.Freely

    >From: "I.P.Freely" <i.p.freely@spamblockdsl.pipex.com>
    >Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
    >Subject: Re: If a just built PC goes bang on power-up...
    >Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:07:35 -0000

  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <Xns95AA2CE7C46D3wisdomfolly@151.164.30.42>,
    jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing, a.k.a John Doe says...

    > Seriously trolling?
    > What is your opinion based on?

    I'm more interested in learning on what basis your trolling theory was
    created.

    And why are you posting message headers?
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 02:03:15 GMT, "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:

    >I've never seen a computer power supply that did not include the 110/220
    >selector switch. What brand and model number is the one you know about that
    >is missing that switch?

    My Zalman PSU doesn't have one. It automatically switches to needed
    voltage.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    > Are there any regulations regardin selling stuff with the switch set
    > appropiately for the relevant country? I suspect (just a hunch)
    > legally the buyer is not completely at fault in this case. Anyone?

    Yeah, I was thinking that. i bought it from Ebuyer.com in the UK. Not only
    was the voltage select switch set wrong, but it was suppled with a mains
    cable that was wrong for the UK. I've noticed Ebuyer selling non-Brit stuff
    before (I Bought a Creative MP3 player from them that had a US style mains
    plug). I may try and claim from them, but they'll probably claim that there
    there is a warning in the case manual (and to be fair there is). I've had
    loads of PCs before, and they've either not had a voltage selector switch,
    or if they have, it was set to 230V and I was lucky. I feel quite foolish
    not to have spotted this.

    Fred.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    > "I.P.Freely" <i.p.freely@spamblockdsl.pipex.com> wrote:

    > >> Sounds like a troll (to me).
    > >

    > >Nope, I was being serious.
    >
    > Seriously trolling?
    >
    > What is your opinion based on?

    My own experience with around 400-500 PCs purchased from an insurance
    clearing auction. Around 90% of the AMD systems with blown PSUs (assume from
    power spikes) had dead motherboards, CPUs, Memory or combinations thereof
    compared to around 10-15% of Intel based PCs with dead PSUs. Now no-one can
    tell me that's a co-incidence and speaking to other dealers who also buy at
    the same auction they all report the same experiences.

    Why do you have this fascination with posting the headers of my messages?

    --

    I.P.Freely
  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    Tx2 <tx2newscollection@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing, a.k.a John Doe says...
    >
    >> Seriously trolling?
    >> What is your opinion based on?
    >
    >I'm more interested in learning on what basis your trolling theory
    >was created.

    Sounds like a troll to me.

    >And why are you posting message headers?

    I posted the author's message header partly because I thought he was
    trolling.

    >From: Tx2 <tx2newscollection@hotmail.com>
    >Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
    >Subject: Re: If a just built PC goes bang on power-up...
    >Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:29:26 -0000

  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    >> What is your opinion based on?
    >
    >My own experience with around 400-500 PCs purchased from an
    >insurance clearing auction. Around 90% of the AMD systems with
    >blown PSUs (assume from power spikes) had dead motherboards, CPUs,
    >Memory or combinations thereof compared to around 10-15% of Intel
    >based PCs with dead PSUs. Now no-one can tell me that's a
    >co-incidence and speaking to other dealers who also buy at the same
    >auction they all report the same experiences.

    Thanks. I mainly wanted to know if you had any technical reasons,
    like what is the difference between the Intel/AMD power supplies and
    mainboard power circuits.

    It probably is something other than coincidence, however there must
    be something different in order for that to happen. There are
    possibilities I can think of which would mean the difference had
    little or nothing to do with whether the systems were Intel or AMD
    based.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <Xns95AA45D41B7B4wisdomfolly@151.164.30.48>,
    jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing, a.k.a John Doe says...

    [...]

    > >I'm more interested in learning on what basis your trolling theory
    > >was created.
    >
    > Sounds like a troll to me

    Well, thanks for the clear and concise explanation.

    > >And why are you posting message headers?
    >
    > I posted the author's message header partly because I thought he was
    > trolling.

    To achieve what?

    ROFLMAO ... weirdo alert!
  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    > >> What is your opinion based on?
    > >
    > >My own experience with around 400-500 PCs purchased from an
    > >insurance clearing auction. Around 90% of the AMD systems with
    > >blown PSUs (assume from power spikes) had dead motherboards, CPUs,
    > >Memory or combinations thereof compared to around 10-15% of Intel
    > >based PCs with dead PSUs. Now no-one can tell me that's a
    > >co-incidence and speaking to other dealers who also buy at the same
    > >auction they all report the same experiences.
    >
    > Thanks. I mainly wanted to know if you had any technical reasons,
    > like what is the difference between the Intel/AMD power supplies and
    > mainboard power circuits.
    >
    > It probably is something other than coincidence, however there must
    > be something different in order for that to happen. There are
    > possibilities I can think of which would mean the difference had
    > little or nothing to do with whether the systems were Intel or AMD
    > based.

    Doubt it would be anything to do with power supplies as most are not
    tailored to AMD or Intel but are fairly standard.

    I do remember reading somewhere in a newsgroup that Intel CPUs have some
    sort of inbuilt voltage protection or something which is why they are more
    likely to survive a power surge. As they say you get what you pay for and
    AMD being so much cheaper etc.

    Actually the sub 1Ghz AMD CPUs tended to me more resiliant while the Athlon
    XP series suffered a near 100% death rate, I can't remember one of those
    being OK from a failed PC.
    --

    I.P.Freely
  33. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    Troll.

    Tx2 <tx2newscollection@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >From: Tx2 <tx2newscollection@hotmail.com>
    >Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
    >Subject: Re: If a just built PC goes bang on power-up...
    >Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:21:28 -0000
    >
    >In article <Xns95AA45D41B7B4wisdomfolly@151.164.30.48>,
    >jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing, a.k.a John Doe says...
    >
    >[...]
    >
    >> >I'm more interested in learning on what basis your trolling theory
    >> >was created.
    >>
    >> Sounds like a troll to me
    >
    >Well, thanks for the clear and concise explanation.
    >
    >> >And why are you posting message headers?
    >>
    >> I posted the author's message header partly because I thought he was
    >> trolling.
    >
    >To achieve what?

    >ROFLMAO ... weirdo alert!

  34. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <Xns95AA5059AEB45wisdomfolly@151.164.30.44>,
    jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing, a.k.a John Doe says...

    > Troll

    don't be so ridiculous

    you accused someone of trolling, i asked why; you couldn't justify it,
    persisted in posting unnecessary headers; then carried on in
    conversation with them as if it were all perfectly normal!

    Like i said, weirdo alert.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    > Troll.

    Do you even know what a Troll is?

    Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
    Subject: Re: If a just built PC goes bang on power-up...
    From: John Doe <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing>
    Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:53:47 GMT

    --

    I.P.Freely
  36. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    Troll.

    Tx2 <tx2newscollection@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >From: Tx2 <tx2newscollection@hotmail.com>
    >Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
    >Subject: Re: If a just built PC goes bang on power-up...
    >Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:21:30 -0000
    >References: <cnts9d$4b5$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk> <41a2ef0e$0$15428$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com> <Xns95AA178424622wisdomfolly@151.164.30.42> <41a30c1a$0$29084$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com> <Xns95AA2CE7C46D3wisdomfolly@151.164.30.42> <MPG.1c0d2164edcb4685989d55@news.individual.net> <Xns95AA45D41B7B4wisdomfolly@151.164.30.48> <MPG.1c0d49af3a38e63989d5c@news.individual.net> <Xns95AA5059AEB45wisdomfolly@151.164.30.44>
    >
    >In article <Xns95AA5059AEB45wisdomfolly@151.164.30.44>,
    >jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing, a.k.a John Doe says...
    >
    >> Troll
    >
    >don't be so ridiculous
    >
    >you accused someone of trolling, i asked why; you couldn't justify it,
    >persisted in posting unnecessary headers; then carried on in
    >conversation with them as if it were all perfectly normal!
    >
    >Like i said, weirdo alert.

  37. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <Xns95AA59E2820Dwisdomfolly@151.164.30.48>,
    jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing, a.k.a John Doe says...

    > Troll

    Go read between the lines, arsehole.
    http://cerap.univ-paris1.fr/preseau/3-fingers.jpg

    *plonk*
  38. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    "I.P.Freely" <i.p.freely@spamblockdsl.pipex.com> wrote:
    >"John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote in message
    >> "I.P.Freely" <i.p.freely@spamblockdsl.pipex.com> wrote:

    >> >My own experience with around 400-500 PCs purchased from an
    >> >insurance clearing auction. Around 90% of the AMD systems with
    >> >blown PSUs (assume from power spikes) had dead motherboards,
    >> >CPUs, Memory or combinations thereof compared to around 10-15%
    >> >of Intel based PCs with dead PSUs. Now no-one can tell me that's
    >> >a co-incidence and speaking to other dealers who also buy at the
    >> >same auction they all report the same experiences.
    >>
    >> Thanks. I mainly wanted to know if you had any technical reasons,
    >> like what is the difference between the Intel/AMD power supplies
    >> and mainboard power circuits.
    >> It probably is something other than coincidence, however there
    >> must be something different in order for that to happen. There
    >> are possibilities I can think of which would mean the difference
    >> had little or nothing to do with whether the systems were Intel
    >> or AMD based.
    >

    >Doubt it would be anything to do with power supplies as most are
    >not tailored to AMD or Intel but are fairly standard.

    But that would have everything to do with what power supplies were
    on the different systems.

    >I do remember reading somewhere in a newsgroup that Intel CPUs have
    >some sort of inbuilt voltage protection or something which is why
    >they are more likely to survive a power surge.

    That would just depend on the system. As far as I know, any power
    supply related thing that you can put into an Intel system you can
    put into an AMD system.

    >As they say you get what you pay for and AMD being so much cheaper
    >etc.

    Were they?

    >Actually the sub 1Ghz AMD CPUs tended to me more resiliant while
    >the Athlon XP series suffered a near 100% death rate, I can't
    >remember one of those being OK from a failed PC.

    So then you would say that slower AMD CPUs can handle power surges
    better? Good grief.

    >--
    >
    >I.P.Freely

    >From: "I.P.Freely" <i.p.freely@spamblockdsl.pipex.com>
    >Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
    >Subject: Re: If a just built PC goes bang on power-up...
    >Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:35:51 -0000
    homebuilt:422732

  39. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    "I.P.Freely" <i.p.freely@spamblockdsl.pipex.com> wrote:
    >"John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote in message

    >> Troll.
    >
    >Do you even know what a Troll is?

    Yes.

    >--
    >
    >I.P.Freely

    >From: "I.P.Freely" <i.p.freely@spamblockdsl.pipex.com>
    >Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
    >References: <cnts9d$4b5$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk> <41a2ef0e$0$15428$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com> <Xns95AA178424622wisdomfolly@151.164.30.42> <41a30c1a$0$29084$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com> <Xns95AA2CE7C46D3wisdomfolly@151.164.30.42> <MPG.1c0d2164edcb4685989d55@news.individual.net> <Xns95AA45D41B7B4wisdomfolly@151.164.30.48> <MPG.1c0d49af3a38e63989d5c@news.individual.net> <Xns95AA5059AEB45wisdomfolly@151.164.30.44>
    >Subject: Re: If a just built PC goes bang on power-up...
    >Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:34:45 -0000

  40. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    Troll.

    Tx2 <tx2newscollection@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >From: Tx2 <tx2newscollection@hotmail.com>
    >Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
    >Subject: Re: If a just built PC goes bang on power-up...
    >Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:58:14 -0000
    >References: <cnts9d$4b5$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk> <41a2ef0e$0$15428$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com> <Xns95AA178424622wisdomfolly@151.164.30.42> <41a30c1a$0$29084$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com> <Xns95AA2CE7C46D3wisdomfolly@151.164.30.42> <MPG.1c0d2164edcb4685989d55@news.individual.net> <Xns95AA45D41B7B4wisdomfolly@151.164.30.48> <MPG.1c0d49af3a38e63989d5c@news.individual.net> <Xns95AA5059AEB45wisdomfolly@151.164.30.44> <MPG.1c0d57c26eb3bb15989d5d@news.individual.net> <Xns95AA59E2820Dwisdomfolly@151.164.30.48>
    >
    >In article <Xns95AA59E2820Dwisdomfolly@151.164.30.48>,
    >jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing, a.k.a John Doe says...
    >

    >> Troll
    >
    >Go read between the lines, arsehole.
    >http://cerap.univ-paris1.fr/preseau/3-fingers.jpg
    >

    >*plonk*

  41. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    > "I.P.Freely" <i.p.freely@spamblockdsl.pipex.com> wrote:

    > >> Thanks. I mainly wanted to know if you had any technical reasons,
    > >> like what is the difference between the Intel/AMD power supplies
    > >> and mainboard power circuits.
    > >> It probably is something other than coincidence, however there
    > >> must be something different in order for that to happen. There
    > >> are possibilities I can think of which would mean the difference
    > >> had little or nothing to do with whether the systems were Intel
    > >> or AMD based.
    > >

    > >Doubt it would be anything to do with power supplies as most are
    > >not tailored to AMD or Intel but are fairly standard.
    >
    > But that would have everything to do with what power supplies were
    > on the different systems.
    >
    > >I do remember reading somewhere in a newsgroup that Intel CPUs have
    > >some sort of inbuilt voltage protection or something which is why
    > >they are more likely to survive a power surge.
    >
    > That would just depend on the system. As far as I know, any power
    > supply related thing that you can put into an Intel system you can
    > put into an AMD system.
    >
    > >As they say you get what you pay for and AMD being so much cheaper
    > >etc.
    >
    > Were they?
    >
    > >Actually the sub 1Ghz AMD CPUs tended to me more resiliant while
    > >the Athlon XP series suffered a near 100% death rate, I can't
    > >remember one of those being OK from a failed PC.
    >
    > So then you would say that slower AMD CPUs can handle power surges
    > better? Good grief.

    I am just putting into writing my own experiences. Would you rather me lie?

    --

    I.P.Freely
  42. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    Experience without basic theory makes one his own worst
    enemy. Important facts were posted previously. No properly
    constructed power supply can damage RAM, motherboard, and
    CPU. If one's observation are contrary, then one has
    demonstrated how many computers are built by computer
    assemblers with only a bean counter mentality. Computers
    built on monetary considerations rather than using basic
    technical knowledge. The lesson: buy power supplies that are
    not dumped into the economy (because so many computer
    assemblers don't have fundamental knowledge).

    Important expression is 'over voltage protector'. Regardless
    of voltage selector switch, no damage must occur beyond the
    PSU. That was even required 30 years ago. Basic power supply
    knowledge makes obvious what BigH2K posted:
    > If it was a decent quality PSU then all your components
    > should be fine, ...

    Experience without fundamental knowledge can result in wild
    and erroneous speculation. A power supply that damages
    computer components was defective when purchased and exists
    because the computer assembler never first learned basic power
    supply fundamentals.

    "I.P.Freely" wrote:
    > "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote in message
    >> So then you would say that slower AMD CPUs can handle power surges
    >> better? Good grief.
    >
    > I am just putting into writing my own experiences. Would you
    > rather me lie?
    >
    > --
    >
    > I.P.Freely
  43. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    "I.P.Freely" <i.p.freely@spamblockdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message news:<41a3585f$0$10003$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>...

    .......<snip>.......

    > I am just putting into writing my own experiences. Would you rather me lie?

    Speaking of personal experiences, here's mine. Three of the computers
    I assembled for friends suffered lightning strikes this year, all of
    them Athlon XPs linked by a neighborhood network.

    The lightning bolt partially vapourised a (fortunately) disused
    cordless phone antenna on the roof of one of them. Smoke rose from the
    house and neighbors ran to see if anyone was hurt. One computer had a
    discrete LAN card which was destroyed while the other two had
    integrated LAN ports and the motherboards had to be replaced - mobo
    chips were literally blown apart and the network switch was a charred
    mess. But the CPUs and other components all survived and everything
    ran as usual the next day.

    Another computer, also an Athlon XP that I built for a local cable TV
    company, was damaged last year in a freak accident that caused 60V AC
    to be fed back to the computer via the video signal link. The mobo
    also had chips blown up and had to be replaced along with the PSU, HDD
    and RAM. The CPU survived and is still going strong today.
  44. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    > > Are there any regulations regardin selling stuff with the switch set
    > > appropiately for the relevant country? I suspect (just a hunch)
    > > legally the buyer is not completely at fault in this case. Anyone?
    >
    > Yeah, I was thinking that. i bought it from Ebuyer.com in the UK. Not only
    > was the voltage select switch set wrong, but it was suppled with a mains
    > cable that was wrong for the UK. I've noticed Ebuyer selling non-Brit
    stuff
    > before (I Bought a Creative MP3 player from them that had a US style mains
    > plug). I may try and claim from them, but they'll probably claim that
    there
    > there is a warning in the case manual (and to be fair there is). I've had
    > loads of PCs before, and they've either not had a voltage selector switch,
    > or if they have, it was set to 230V and I was lucky. I feel quite foolish
    > not to have spotted this.

    Tis a silly thing to overlook, but I seem to recall reading other people had
    done this on one of the Ebuyer product reviews, think it was one of the
    cheap cases when I was looking for a PSU. So you're a bit daft, but on the
    bright side, you're not the only one :)
  45. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    > Troll.

    Top-posting weirdo!

    Tony
  46. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Zotin Khuma" <zotin_k@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
    > "I.P.Freely" <i.p.freely@spamblockdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    >
    > ......<snip>.......
    >>
    >> I am just putting into writing my own experiences. Would you rather me
    >> lie?
    >
    > Speaking of personal experiences, here's mine. Three of the computers
    > I assembled for friends suffered lightning strikes this year, all of
    > them Athlon XPs linked by a neighborhood network.
    >
    > The lightning bolt partially vapourised a (fortunately) disused
    > cordless phone antenna on the roof of one of them. Smoke rose from the
    > house and neighbors ran to see if anyone was hurt. One computer had a
    > discrete LAN card which was destroyed while the other two had
    > integrated LAN ports and the motherboards had to be replaced - mobo
    > chips were literally blown apart and the network switch was a charred
    > mess. But the CPUs and other components all survived and everything
    > ran as usual the next day.
    >
    > Another computer, also an Athlon XP that I built for a local cable TV
    > company, was damaged last year in a freak accident that caused 60V AC
    > to be fed back to the computer via the video signal link. The mobo
    > also had chips blown up and had to be replaced along with the PSU, HDD
    > and RAM. The CPU survived and is still going strong today.

    I once had a bolt of lightning shoot out of my floppy drive, bounce off my
    cat, and then into my dog. Now my dog can fly, and my cat can make herself
    invisible whenever she wants to. Oh yeah, now both the dog and cat are able
    to talk now too.
    ;-)
  47. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <cnv47d$gjn$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>, Fred Finisterre
    <finisterre@gmail.com> writes

    >Yeah, I was thinking that. i bought it from Ebuyer.com in the UK. Not only
    >was the voltage select switch set wrong, but it was suppled with a mains
    >cable that was wrong for the UK. I've noticed Ebuyer selling non-Brit stuff
    >before (I Bought a Creative MP3 player from them that had a US style mains
    >plug). I may try and claim from them, but they'll probably claim that there
    >there is a warning in the case manual (and to be fair there is).

    I disagree. If it's sold for use in the UK, it has to be suitable for
    its intended market, therefore it should be sold with the switch
    correctly set.

    In your situation, I'd change the switch to 230V and raise a RMA with
    ebuyer. Just say the PSU went bang on power up (this is a fairly common
    failure mode even when the switch is correctly set); don't tell them the
    switch was wrong.

    The Antec True 380 is a nice PSU, it'd be worth getting a replacement
    under warranty. They're almost 60 quid new.

    --
    ..sigmonster on vacation
  48. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <Xns95AA6065B9C20wisdomfolly@151.164.30.48>, John Doe
    <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> writes
    >Troll.

    *plonk*

    --
    ..sigmonster on vacation
  49. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    >From: Trout fish@no.email

    >On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 02:03:15 GMT, "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:
    >
    >>I've never seen a computer power supply that did not include the 110/220
    >>selector switch. What brand and model number is the one you know about that
    >>is missing that switch?
    >>

    >My Zalman PSU doesn't have one. It automatically switches to needed
    >voltage.

    My Thermaltake psu doesn't have a switch either and is automatic.

Homebuilt Hardware Power Up Components Systems