blinking hourglass beside cursor

I ran AVG virus check, and now I have a blinking hourglass beside my cursor
at all times, except when typing. I have since uninstalled AVG, and it's not
related to my mouse settings in Control Panel. It's driving me nuts. Can any
one help?
Thanks,

Begin by running one or more of the several on-line AV tools, and your
anti-spyware tools.

Online security/virus checkers

Symantec
http://security.norton.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
Trend Micro House Call:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Panda ActiveScan;
McAfee FreeScan:
Kaspersky Labs On-line Virus Checker:
BitDefender Online Scan:
----

Anti-spyware tools

Adware/spyware/hijackers and other types of malicious programs are a
different animal. These can only be fought with certain anti-spyware
programs and (most importantly) by educating users. Here are some links that
will get you up to speed on the scope of the problem as well as some
recommended solutions.

The Parasite Fight:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

AumHa Forums :: View Forum - Parasites - Adware, Spyware & Other Scumware:

Security at Home: Spyware:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/default.mspx

Merijn.org:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/