su0410 error

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

i'm trying to load windows me, but when i get to the "checking installed
components" i get a su0410 error - c:\wininsto400\msdxwin.inf
missing/damaged or not enough memory.

1) What is this file? how can i re-install it from my windows 98 cd
2) when it says not enough memory does it mean memory on hard drive or RAM?
what's the minimum RAM for windows me?

Peter
31 answers Last reply
More about su0410 error
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    Peter, can you please confirm - or rather expand - your answer(s) to Noel in
    your previous thread.

    Noel asked :-
    "What is the source of the disk? - is it one that was prepared by an OEM
    specifically for the laptop you used it on?

    You replied :-
    "The software didn't work on my pc, so i tried it on my laptop - just to see
    if there was a problem with the disks (bought new and sealed)."

    In other words, are you using a 'genuine' MS WinMe (retail) either Full or
    Upgrade CD, or is it an OEM CD?

    You refer to "disks" (bought new and sealed) - which suggests that they are
    OEM CD's. If so, and this is where the water becomes muddier, it is VERY
    UNLIKELY that they will let you 'upgrade' your current system. Hence the
    error report. However, you *may* be able to do a 'clean install'

    Please give details of your "bought new and sealed disks" as requested by
    Noel in his final post in the previous thread. My guess is that it's not a
    memory issue that you have, but the SU0410 error is referring to you
    attempting to 'upgade' from OEM disks, or a 'mismatch' due to
    machine-specific OEM disks.

    BTW - The minimum requirement of RAM being 32Mb - according to the
    'setuptip.txt' file on an MS WinMe (retail) CD.

    Mart

    "Peter Brown" <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > i'm trying to load windows me, but when i get to the "checking installed
    > components" i get a su0410 error - c:\wininsto400\msdxwin.inf
    > missing/damaged or not enough memory.
    >
    > 1) What is this file? how can i re-install it from my windows 98 cd
    > 2) when it says not enough memory does it mean memory on hard drive or
    > RAM?
    > what's the minimum RAM for windows me?
    >
    > Peter

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    OK, so how would i do a clean install. Format the hard drive and start
    again?
    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Peter, can you please confirm - or rather expand - your answer(s) to Noel
    in
    > your previous thread.
    >
    > Noel asked :-
    > "What is the source of the disk? - is it one that was prepared by an OEM
    > specifically for the laptop you used it on?
    >
    > You replied :-
    > "The software didn't work on my pc, so i tried it on my laptop - just to
    see
    > if there was a problem with the disks (bought new and sealed)."
    >
    > In other words, are you using a 'genuine' MS WinMe (retail) either Full or
    > Upgrade CD, or is it an OEM CD?
    >
    > You refer to "disks" (bought new and sealed) - which suggests that they
    are
    > OEM CD's. If so, and this is where the water becomes muddier, it is VERY
    > UNLIKELY that they will let you 'upgrade' your current system. Hence the
    > error report. However, you *may* be able to do a 'clean install'
    >
    > Please give details of your "bought new and sealed disks" as requested by
    > Noel in his final post in the previous thread. My guess is that it's not a
    > memory issue that you have, but the SU0410 error is referring to you
    > attempting to 'upgade' from OEM disks, or a 'mismatch' due to
    > machine-specific OEM disks.
    >
    > BTW - The minimum requirement of RAM being 32Mb - according to the
    > 'setuptip.txt' file on an MS WinMe (retail) CD.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "Peter Brown" <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > i'm trying to load windows me, but when i get to the "checking installed
    > > components" i get a su0410 error - c:\wininsto400\msdxwin.inf
    > > missing/damaged or not enough memory.
    > >
    > > 1) What is this file? how can i re-install it from my windows 98 cd
    > > 2) when it says not enough memory does it mean memory on hard drive or
    > > RAM?
    > > what's the minimum RAM for windows me?
    > >
    > > Peter

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    Yes!

    But as you still haven't identified your "disks" (bought new and sealed)
    then I suggest you read the following which *should* cover most situations.

    If you intend using an OEM 'Recovery' CD to re-install from, then read the
    manufactures handbook for instructions, otherwise:-

    Assuming that you are intending to do a clean install using an MS (retail)
    WnMe CD (or OEM, but see later), take a look at (and print out) the
    "cleanhd.txt" file in the win9x folder on your WinMe CD. You can also view
    the "Windows Millennium Edition Cleanhd.txt File Contents" at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271673
    Study it carefully and be sure you have a note of your product key code
    (the 25 digit code that is supplied with your CD) and - if your WinMe CD is
    an 'upgrade' version (rather than a 'full version') - some proof of a
    'previous version' - e.g. a Win98 CD (N.B not required for OEM)

    Before you go any further, you really ought to study the following KB
    article, "How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or
    Repartition a Hard Disk" to confirm that you've formatted your disk
    correctly for WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255867

    HTH and good luck

    > OK, so how would i do a clean install. Format the hard drive and start
    > again?
    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Peter, can you please confirm - or rather expand - your answer(s) to Noel
    > in
    >> your previous thread.
    >>
    >> Noel asked :-
    >> "What is the source of the disk? - is it one that was prepared by an OEM
    >> specifically for the laptop you used it on?
    >>
    >> You replied :-
    >> "The software didn't work on my pc, so i tried it on my laptop - just to
    > see
    >> if there was a problem with the disks (bought new and sealed)."
    >>
    >> In other words, are you using a 'genuine' MS WinMe (retail) either Full
    >> or
    >> Upgrade CD, or is it an OEM CD?
    >>
    >> You refer to "disks" (bought new and sealed) - which suggests that they
    > are
    >> OEM CD's. If so, and this is where the water becomes muddier, it is VERY
    >> UNLIKELY that they will let you 'upgrade' your current system. Hence the
    >> error report. However, you *may* be able to do a 'clean install'
    >>
    >> Please give details of your "bought new and sealed disks" as requested by
    >> Noel in his final post in the previous thread. My guess is that it's not
    >> memory issue that you have, but the SU0410 error is referring to you
    >> attempting to 'upgade' from OEM disks, or a 'mismatch' due to
    >> machine-specific OEM disks.
    >>
    >> BTW - The minimum requirement of RAM being 32Mb - according to the
    >> 'setuptip.txt' file on an MS WinMe (retail) CD.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "Peter Brown" <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> > i'm trying to load windows me, but when i get to the "checking
    >> > installed
    >> > components" i get a su0410 error - c:\wininsto400\msdxwin.inf
    >> > missing/damaged or not enough memory.
    >> >
    >> > 1) What is this file? how can i re-install it from my windows 98 cd
    >> > 2) when it says not enough memory does it mean memory on hard drive or
    >> > RAM?
    >> > what's the minimum RAM for windows me?
    >> >
    >> > Peter

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    Peter, just an afterthought.

    As you probably don't already have a WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk - which you
    may need to allow Fdisk to partition a 'large disk', plus, it will make life
    easier - you can download an image from www.bootdisk.com to your existing HD
    and run the utility from your HD to create a WinMe floppy start-up disk.

    Mart

> [...]
    >>> or
    >>> Upgrade CD, or is it an OEM CD?
    >>>
    >>> You refer to "disks" (bought new and sealed) - which suggests that they
    >> are
    >>> OEM CD's. If so, and this is where the water becomes muddier, it is VERY
    >>> UNLIKELY that they will let you 'upgrade' your current system. Hence the
    >>> error report. However, you *may* be able to do a 'clean install'
    >>>
    >>> Please give details of your "bought new and sealed disks" as requested
    >>> by
    >>> Noel in his final post in the previous thread. My guess is that it's not
    >>> memory issue that you have, but the SU0410 error is referring to you
    >>> attempting to 'upgade' from OEM disks, or a 'mismatch' due to
    >>> machine-specific OEM disks.
    >>>
    >>> BTW - The minimum requirement of RAM being 32Mb - according to the
    >>> 'setuptip.txt' file on an MS WinMe (retail) CD.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    Peter,

    Did you uninstall IE6.0, or downgrade it to IE5.x before trying the reinstall of WinME?

    Were you running Windows Media Player 9 before trying the reinstall?

    These 2 need to be removed before attempting an install of WinME on top (a.k.a. dirty install).

    Please confirm if this is the case and I may have a workaround to be run from DOS (from a startup floppy boot).

    Zee

    "Peter Brown" <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:42131859_3@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
    > i'm trying to load windows me, but when i get to the "checking installed
    > components" i get a su0410 error - c:\wininsto400\msdxwin.inf
    > missing/damaged or not enough memory.
    >
    > 1) What is this file? how can i re-install it from my windows 98 cd
    > 2) when it says not enough memory does it mean memory on hard drive or RAM?
    > what's the minimum RAM for windows me?
    >
    > Peter

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    Zee is correct, and the detailed removal instructions are here:

    http://winnoel.users.btopenworld.com/reinME.htm

    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    Peter,

    Did you uninstall IE6.0, or downgrade it to IE5.x before trying the
    reinstall of WinME?

    Were you running Windows Media Player 9 before trying the reinstall?

    These 2 need to be removed before attempting an install of WinME on top
    (a.k.a. dirty install).

    Please confirm if this is the case and I may have a workaround to be run
    from DOS (from a startup floppy boot).

    Zee

    "Peter Brown" <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > i'm trying to load windows me, but when i get to the "checking installed
    > components" i get a su0410 error - c:\wininsto400\msdxwin.inf
    > missing/damaged or not enough memory.
    >
    > 1) What is this file? how can i re-install it from my windows 98 cd
    > 2) when it says not enough memory does it mean memory on hard drive or
    RAM?
    > what's the minimum RAM for windows me?
    >
    > Peter

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    However the poster's problems have little or nothing to do with having
    either IE6 or WMP9 installed.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

    > Zee is correct, and the detailed removal instructions are here:
    >
    > http://winnoel.users.btopenworld.com/reinME.htm
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    Indeed Mike, just to remind ourselves :-

    Copy of original post:-

    "I'm running windows 98 and i recently tried to upgrade to windowsme. I know
    that the disk is good (as i used it to upgrade my laptop). however on my pc
    i get an error message SU0410. There is a file missing or corrupted
    c\wininsto400. The other suggestion is that there is not enough space, but
    this is impossible so it's this file. I tried to re-install windows98 to
    correct the error, but it too would not install due to the same error. what
    can i do? -- Peter"

    IOW - WinMe ain't there in the first place <g>

    Mart

    > However the poster's problems have little or nothing to do with having
    > either IE6 or WMP9 installed.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Zee is correct, and the detailed removal instructions are here:
    >>
    >> http://winnoel.users.btopenworld.com/reinME.htm

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    Oops! I thought Peter Brown was trying to reinstall WinME.

    > Indeed Mike, just to remind ourselves :-
    >
    > Copy of original post:-
    >
    > "I'm running windows 98 and i recently tried to upgrade to windowsme. I
    know
    > that the disk is good (as i used it to upgrade my laptop). however on my
    pc
    > i get an error message SU0410. There is a file missing or corrupted
    > c\wininsto400. The other suggestion is that there is not enough space, but
    > this is impossible so it's this file. I tried to re-install windows98 to
    > correct the error, but it too would not install due to the same error.
    what
    > can i do? -- Peter"
    >
    > IOW - WinMe ain't there in the first place <g>
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    > > However the poster's problems have little or nothing to do with having
    > > either IE6 or WMP9 installed.
    > > --
    > > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    > >

    > > Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Zee is correct, and the detailed removal instructions are here:
    > >>
    > >> http://winnoel.users.btopenworld.com/reinME.htm

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    Mart,

    I also seem to think we as yet don't know the type of CD that is being
    used despite your having asked a few times for that info..
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote:

    > Indeed Mike, just to remind ourselves :-
    >
    > Copy of original post:-
    >
    > "I'm running windows 98 and i recently tried to upgrade to windowsme.
    > I know that the disk is good (as i used it to upgrade my laptop).
    > however on my pc i get an error message SU0410. There is a file
    > missing or corrupted c\wininsto400. The other suggestion is that
    > there is not enough space, but this is impossible so it's this file.
    > I tried to re-install windows98 to correct the error, but it too
    > would not install due to the same error. what can i do? -- Peter"
    >
    > IOW - WinMe ain't there in the first place <g>
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    PS Zee is however correct in that upgrading from Win98/98SE where either
    one or both of IE6 or WMP9 installed could cause problems but those aren't
    what is causing the SU0410 error being seen by the poster.
    --
    Mike

    Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote:

    > Indeed Mike, just to remind ourselves :-
    >
    > Copy of original post:-
    >
    > "I'm running windows 98 and i recently tried to upgrade to windowsme.
    > I know that the disk is good (as i used it to upgrade my laptop).
    > however on my pc i get an error message SU0410. There is a file
    > missing or corrupted c\wininsto400. The other suggestion is that
    > there is not enough space, but this is impossible so it's this file.
    > I tried to re-install windows98 to correct the error, but it too
    > would not install due to the same error. what can i do? -- Peter"
    >
    > IOW - WinMe ain't there in the first place <g>
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    I bought a copy of Windows ME from Ebay that had been supplied to somebody
    with their Compaq PC. I did so in order to upgrade my OS so that I could run
    other software. What I can't understand is that I don't get the same error
    message on my PC and my laptop. The PC has '98 (I still have the original
    CDs), whereas the laptop had 98 pre-installed. After I had the problems on
    the PC, and thinking that I'd been duped I put the CD into the laptop and it
    worked! I was given the option in both case of "upgrading" the OS system and
    it worked on one PC and not on the other.

    Peter

    > PS Zee is however correct in that upgrading from Win98/98SE where either
    > one or both of IE6 or WMP9 installed could cause problems but those aren't
    > what is causing the SU0410 error being seen by the poster.
    > --
    > Mike
    >

    > Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Indeed Mike, just to remind ourselves :-
    > >
    > > Copy of original post:-
    > >
    > > "I'm running windows 98 and i recently tried to upgrade to windowsme.
    > > I know that the disk is good (as i used it to upgrade my laptop).
    > > however on my pc i get an error message SU0410. There is a file
    > > missing or corrupted c\wininsto400. The other suggestion is that
    > > there is not enough space, but this is impossible so it's this file.
    > > I tried to re-install windows98 to correct the error, but it too
    > > would not install due to the same error. what can i do? -- Peter"
    > >
    > > IOW - WinMe ain't there in the first place <g>

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    Peter,

    Make of laptop? Make of PC?
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Peter Brown <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    > I bought a copy of Windows ME from Ebay that had been supplied to
    > somebody with their Compaq PC. I did so in order to upgrade my OS so
    > that I could run other software. What I can't understand is that I
    > don't get the same error message on my PC and my laptop. The PC has
    > '98 (I still have the original CDs), whereas the laptop had 98
    > pre-installed. After I had the problems on the PC, and thinking that
    > I'd been duped I put the CD into the laptop and it worked! I was
    > given the option in both case of "upgrading" the OS system and it
    > worked on one PC and not on the other.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    dell laptop, customer made pc.to be honest i didn't think that this thread
    would go on so long. i only wanted to upgrade so that i could use my camera
    phone on my pc. it looks like i'm in way over my head and i'll just accept
    that i can't use the camera phone

    > Peter,
    >
    > Make of laptop? Make of PC?
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Peter Brown <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > > I bought a copy of Windows ME from Ebay that had been supplied to
    > > somebody with their Compaq PC. I did so in order to upgrade my OS so
    > > that I could run other software. What I can't understand is that I
    > > don't get the same error message on my PC and my laptop. The PC has
    > > '98 (I still have the original CDs), whereas the laptop had 98
    > > pre-installed. After I had the problems on the PC, and thinking that
    > > I'd been duped I put the CD into the laptop and it worked! I was
    > > given the option in both case of "upgrading" the OS system and it
    > > worked on one PC and not on the other.

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    One further thing I should add is that I thought that there was a problem
    with my PC's version of windows98 and I tried to re-install it and....had
    the same error message!

    > dell laptop, customer made pc.to be honest i didn't think that this
    thread
    > would go on so long. i only wanted to upgrade so that i could use my
    camera
    > phone on my pc. it looks like i'm in way over my head and i'll just accept
    > that i can't use the camera phone
    >

    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    > > Peter,
    > >
    > > Make of laptop? Make of PC?
    > > --
    > > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    > >

    > > Peter Brown <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I bought a copy of Windows ME from Ebay that had been supplied to
    > > > somebody with their Compaq PC. I did so in order to upgrade my OS so
    > > > that I could run other software. What I can't understand is that I
    > > > don't get the same error message on my PC and my laptop. The PC has
    > > > '98 (I still have the original CDs), whereas the laptop had 98
    > > > pre-installed. After I had the problems on the PC, and thinking that
    > > > I'd been duped I put the CD into the laptop and it worked! I was
    > > > given the option in both case of "upgrading" the OS system and it
    > > > worked on one PC and not on the other.

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    Which now suggests that the version of Win98 on your desktop PC may have
    been installed from an OEM copy.

    If so, it might be worth looking at your c:\wininsto400\msdxwin.inf file
    with notepad and confirming the
    Signature="$CHICAGO$" entry, as per the KB article :- "PRB: Error During
    Preinstallation of Third-Party Driver"

    > One further thing I should add is that I thought that there was a problem
    > with my PC's version of windows98 and I tried to re-install it and....had
    > the same error message!
    >
    > "Peter Brown" <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> dell laptop, customer made pc.to be honest i didn't think that this
    > thread
    >> would go on so long. i only wanted to upgrade so that i could use my
    > camera
    >> phone on my pc. it looks like i'm in way over my head and i'll just
    >> accept
    >> that i can't use the camera phone
    >>

    >> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    >> > Peter,
    >> >
    >> > Make of laptop? Make of PC?
    >> > --
    >> > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    >> > mike.maltby@gmail.com

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    Please help: what does OEM mean? The disks for the PC version of '98 were
    new and sealed, with the booklets, codes etc. etc.

    I tried to find the file (I went Search C drive for "*msdxwin.inf") and
    nothing came up. It would appear the file is missing rather than damaged. If
    I use the explorer and open the C drive there is no wininsto400 folder or
    file

    > Which now suggests that the version of Win98 on your desktop PC may have
    > been installed from an OEM copy.
    >
    > If so, it might be worth looking at your c:\wininsto400\msdxwin.inf file
    > with notepad and confirming the
    > Signature="$CHICAGO$" entry, as per the KB article :- "PRB: Error During
    > Preinstallation of Third-Party Driver"
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "Peter Brown" <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > One further thing I should add is that I thought that there was a
    problem
    > > with my PC's version of windows98 and I tried to re-install it
    and....had
    > > the same error message!
    > >
    > > "Peter Brown" <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >> dell laptop, customer made pc.to be honest i didn't think that this
    > > thread
    > >> would go on so long. i only wanted to upgrade so that i could use my
    > > camera
    > >> phone on my pc. it looks like i'm in way over my head and i'll just
    > >> accept
    > >> that i can't use the camera phone
    > >>

    > >> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    Peter wrote :-

    > Please help: what does OEM mean?

    OEM = Other Equipment Manufacturer

    In simple terms, it means that MS produce their 'standard' public versions
    of Windows operating systems (OS) in boxed retail format where MS are
    responsible for help and support - reflected in their retail prices.

    However, MS also sell (under licence) their product to OEM's who in turn
    (may) 'tailor' it to suite their own specifications to match their hardware
    and 'bundle' it in the OEM's package, Hence it may well be 'machine
    specific". This helps sell OEM hardware products, but as part of their
    licence with MS, they (the OEM) are required to provide help and support -
    again, reflected in the cost to the OEM of the MS operating system (OS).

    Sometimes, OEM's only supply 'Recovery' CD's to the End User (You!), which
    are very unlikely to let you 'update/upgrade' an earlier OS to a later one.

    So KB189143 'appears' to be suggesting that a discrepancy exists, in other
    words you may have an OEM vs. MS soup. Hence the need to try to determine
    exactly what disks you have. You say the PC (desktop?) was 'customer made'.
    You *may* need to consult the original customer (OEM <g>) for guidance -
    particularly the source of his original Win98 installation disk.

    A possible clue may be that the update/upgrade is looking for the
    non-existent c:\wininsto400\msdxwin.inf file and path.
    And there *may* be a fix to overcome that situation. I've never been there
    myself, but I'm sure that if someone seen it before, they're bound to jump
    in and let us know.

    But as I said before, you *may* still be able to 'clean install' WinMe using
    the WinMe CD which you have. And, the method you decide to use depends on
    the above factors, but is generally outlined in my earlier post.

    Hope that helps and good luck.

    > Please help: what does OEM mean? The disks for the PC version of '98 were
    > new and sealed, with the booklets, codes etc. etc.
    >
    > I tried to find the file (I went Search C drive for "*msdxwin.inf") and
    > nothing came up. It would appear the file is missing rather than damaged.
    > If
    > I use the explorer and open the C drive there is no wininsto400 folder or
    > file
    >

    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Which now suggests that the version of Win98 on your desktop PC may have
    >> been installed from an OEM copy.
    >>
    >> If so, it might be worth looking at your c:\wininsto400\msdxwin.inf file
    >> with notepad and confirming the
    >> Signature="$CHICAGO$" entry, as per the KB article :- "PRB: Error During
    >> Preinstallation of Third-Party Driver"
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/189143/EN-US/
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "Peter Brown" <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> > One further thing I should add is that I thought that there was a
    > problem
    >> > with my PC's version of windows98 and I tried to re-install it
    > and....had
    >> > the same error message!
    >> >
    >> > "Peter Brown" <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> > thread
    >> > camera

    > so
    > that

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    Mart wrote:

    > OEM = Other Equipment Manufacturer

    "Original" Equipment Manufacturer Mart.

    John
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    So in summary: even if i'd never bought the windows me disk there is
    something wrong with my pc as i can't re-install windows '98 as i get the
    same error message. The disks are the originals and the only version of '98
    that i've ever had (so no chance of mix-ups). Why does the install process
    look for this non-existant file when i'm just trying to re-install '98???

> [...]
    were
    > > new and sealed, with the booklets, codes etc. etc.
    > >
    > > I tried to find the file (I went Search C drive for "*msdxwin.inf") and
    > > nothing came up. It would appear the file is missing rather than
    damaged.
    > > If
    > > I use the explorer and open the C drive there is no wininsto400 folder
    or
    > > file
    > >

    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> Which now suggests that the version of Win98 on your desktop PC may
    have
    > >> been installed from an OEM copy.
    > >>
    > >> If so, it might be worth looking at your c:\wininsto400\msdxwin.inf
    file
    > >> with notepad and confirming the
    > >> Signature="$CHICAGO$" entry, as per the KB article :- "PRB: Error

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    Did you check for the $CHICAGO$ signature like someone else suggested
    earlier? When looking for the file did you make sure that "Show
    hidden/system files" was set properly?

    John

    Peter Brown wrote:

> [...]
    >>in and let us know.
    >>
    >>But as I said before, you *may* still be able to 'clean install' WinMe
    >
    > using
    >
    >>the WinMe CD which you have. And, the method you decide to use depends on
    >>the above factors, but is generally outlined in my earlier post.
    >>
    >>Hope that helps and good luck.
    >>
    >>Mart
    >>

    >>"Peter Brown" <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Please help: what does OEM mean? The disks for the PC version of '98
    >
    > were
    >
    >>>new and sealed, with the booklets, codes etc. etc.
    >>>
    >>>I tried to find the file (I went Search C drive for "*msdxwin.inf") and
    >>>nothing came up. It would appear the file is missing rather than
    >
    > damaged.
    >
    >>>If
    >>>I use the explorer and open the C drive there is no wininsto400 folder

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    Err.. Ooops - a 'senior' moment <g>

    It was just to see if anyone would spot my deliberate mistake - if only.

    Mart

    "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    > Mart wrote:
    >
    >> OEM = Other Equipment Manufacturer
    >
    > "Original" Equipment Manufacturer Mart.
    >
    > John

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    Probably just a "typo" Mart. ;-)

    John

    Mart wrote:

    > Err.. Ooops - a 'senior' moment <g>
    >
    > It was just to see if anyone would spot my deliberate mistake - if only.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    >
    >>Mart wrote:
    >>

    >>>OEM = Other Equipment Manufacturer
    >>
    >>"Original" Equipment Manufacturer Mart.
    >>
    >>John

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    Oh! yes of course, John. Thanks for recognising it - finger trouble <g>

    > Probably just a "typo" Mart. ;-)
    >
    > John
    >
    > Mart wrote:
    >
    >> Err.. Ooops - a 'senior' moment <g>
    >>
    >> It was just to see if anyone would spot my deliberate mistake - if only.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message

    >>>"Original" Equipment Manufacturer Mart.
    >>>
    >>>John

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    > Why does the install process look for this
    > non-existant file when i'm just trying to re-install '98???

    *Possibly*, the 'original installation' was batched by the OEM, whereby the
    original (supplied?) Win98 disk was not actually used to install it on your
    PC. But rather a 'special' folder used for set-up and then deleted on
    completion, leaving behind an 'erroneous path statement.

    Pure speculation Peter, but I don't have an 'absolute' explanation -
    especially from this distance <g>. I would probably need to see your PC
    and/or know its pedigree. But as before, someone *may* have come across this
    and be able to offer a better explanation - or even a fix.

> [...]
    >> in and let us know.
    >>
    >> But as I said before, you *may* still be able to 'clean install' WinMe
    > using
    >> the WinMe CD which you have. And, the method you decide to use depends on
    >> the above factors, but is generally outlined in my earlier post.
    >>
    >> Hope that helps and good luck.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "Peter Brown" <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> > Please help: what does OEM mean? The disks for the PC version of '98
    > were
    >> > new and sealed, with the booklets, codes etc. etc.
    >> >
    >> > I tried to find the file (I went Search C drive for "*msdxwin.inf") and
    >> > nothing came up. It would appear the file is missing rather than
    > damaged.
    >> > If
    >> > I use the explorer and open the C drive there is no wininsto400 folder

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    I saw it, Mart, but thought it'd be a bit churlish to mention it, as it
    didn't seem possible you didn't know, and as typos go it was hardly the end
    of the world! That's next week.

    Shane

    > Oh! yes of course, John. Thanks for recognising it - finger trouble <g>
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    > > Probably just a "typo" Mart. ;-)
    > >
    > > John
    > >
    > > Mart wrote:
    > >
    > >> Err.. Ooops - a 'senior' moment <g>
    > >>
    > >> It was just to see if anyone would spot my deliberate mistake - if
    only.

    > >> Mart
    > >>

    > >> "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    LOL

    Thanks for your confidence, Shane. 'Scuse me whilst I just go and put my
    affairs in order.

    Mart

    "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I saw it, Mart, but thought it'd be a bit churlish to mention it, as it
    > didn't seem possible you didn't know, and as typos go it was hardly the
    > end
    > of the world! That's next week.
    >

    > Shane
    >

    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Oh! yes of course, John. Thanks for recognising it - finger trouble <g>
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    >> > Probably just a "typo" Mart. ;-)
    >> >
    >> > John

    > only.

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    It'll hardly matter whether or not your affairs are in order at "the end
    of the world"! No one will be left to fight over your considerable
    estate. I think you should spend it all in the next few days, give us
    your coordinates so that we can come over and help you.

    John

    Mart wrote:

    > LOL
    >
    > Thanks for your confidence, Shane. 'Scuse me whilst I just go and put my
    > affairs in order.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I saw it, Mart, but thought it'd be a bit churlish to mention it, as it
    >>didn't seem possible you didn't know, and as typos go it was hardly the
    >>end
    >>of the world! That's next week.
    >>

    >>Shane
    >>

    >>"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Oh! yes of course, John. Thanks for recognising it - finger trouble <g>
    >>>
    >>>Mart
    >>>

    >>>"John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message

    >>only.

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    Hmm, to return to the problem. It appears that the problem is nothing to do
    with the introduction of the windows me disk (as evidenced by the failure to
    re-install windows98), and therefore it's something more fundamental with my
    pc. I'm off to post on a windows98 newsgroup.

    > LOL
    >
    > Thanks for your confidence, Shane. 'Scuse me whilst I just go and put my
    > affairs in order.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I saw it, Mart, but thought it'd be a bit churlish to mention it, as it
    > > didn't seem possible you didn't know, and as typos go it was hardly the
    > > end
    > > of the world! That's next week.
    > >

    > > Shane
    > >

    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> Oh! yes of course, John. Thanks for recognising it - finger trouble <g>
    > >>
    > >> Mart
    > >>

    > >> "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message

    > > only.

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    John wrote :-

    > ... give us your coordinates so that we
    > can come over and help you.

    No probs. John. You cant miss it, it's marked with an "X" and the
    coordinates are Lat...

    > It'll hardly matter whether or not your affairs are in order at "the end
    > of the world"! No one will be left to fight over your considerable
    > estate. I think you should spend it all in the next few days, give us
    > your coordinates so that we can come over and help you.
    >
    > John
    >
    > Mart wrote:
    >
    >> LOL
    >>
    >> Thanks for your confidence, Shane. 'Scuse me whilst I just go and put my
    >> affairs in order.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I saw it, Mart, but thought it'd be a bit churlish to mention it, as it
    >>>didn't seem possible you didn't know, and as typos go it was hardly the
    >>>end
    >>>of the world! That's next week.
    >>>

    >>>Shane
    >>>

    >>>"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >>>only.

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    Good luck Peter. Let us know how you get on.

    > Hmm, to return to the problem. It appears that the problem is nothing to
    > do
    > with the introduction of the windows me disk (as evidenced by the failure
    > re-install windows98), and therefore it's something more fundamental with
    > my
    > pc. I'm off to post on a windows98 newsgroup.
    >

    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> LOL
    >>
    >> Thanks for your confidence, Shane. 'Scuse me whilst I just go and put my
    >> affairs in order.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >I saw it, Mart, but thought it'd be a bit churlish to mention it, as it
    >> > didn't seem possible you didn't know, and as typos go it was hardly the
    >> > end
    >> > of the world! That's next week.
    >> >

    >> > Shane
    >> >

    >> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >> > only.

Windows Me Microsoft Memory Windows Product