Spybot

When searching Spybot warns that it is blocking Avenue A and I can't search
a lot of sites.
Thanks, Eileen

Make a left on Avenue B and then take the subway and you are there !

--
Dave

Eileen wrote:
> When searching Spybot warns that it is blocking Avenue A and I can't search
> a lot of sites.
> Thanks, Eileen

I assume you mean Spybot "Search&Destroy" product? Try scanning your
disk if that's the case. (the full scan not just "immunize")

If that doesn't fix it could you post an example of a webpage that is
being blocked?... try to pick one that doesn't contain alot of moving
images or frames and stuff, please.

Rick

David H. Lipman wrote:
> Make a left on Avenue B and then take the subway and you are there !

And that's a useful way to get rid of that piece of spyware, how?

She didn't ask how to get rid of malware, Eileen posted a statement, not a question.

--
Dave

| David H. Lipman wrote:
| > Make a left on Avenue B and then take the subway and you are there !
| >

| And that's a useful way to get rid of that piece of spyware, how?

Eileen,

I would say Spybot S&D is doing its job.

You probably wouldn't like to visit those sites, I surely wouldn't.

If you really, really, want to visit those site (at your own risk, of course) uninstall Spybot S&D.

Zee

"Eileen" <vanvan@piasanet.com> wrote in message news:OV7zOYKFFHA.1932@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> When searching Spybot warns that it is blocking Avenue A and I can't search
> a lot of sites.
> Thanks, Eileen

It was "encyclopedia.com" and I did want to visit it and get info on
chemistry.
Eileen

"oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Eileen,

I would say Spybot S&D is doing its job.

You probably wouldn't like to visit those sites, I surely wouldn't.

If you really, really, want to visit those site (at your own risk, of
course) uninstall Spybot S&D.

Zee

"Eileen" <vanvan@piasanet.com> wrote in message
> When searching Spybot warns that it is blocking Avenue A and I can't
search
> a lot of sites.
> Thanks, Eileen

Shane

Actually there are a no. of otherwise innocuous sites that use the AvenueA
cookie. Personally I feel that the only reason to avoid such sites is
*because* they use third-party tracking cookies and insist you accept them.

There is no reason to uninstall Spybot S&D. The AvenueA blocking (in this
case) is done by the real-time bad download blocking component (S&D Helper?
As opposed to Tea Timer) and it should be disabled (permanently, IMO. With
Spybot S&D I see no need for any more than unchecking all in *Ignore
products* and hitting Immunise in *Immunise*. Spywareblaster does a better
job at other blocking and even there I see no need for more than just
hitting *enable all protection*).

Shane

"oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Eileen,

I would say Spybot S&D is doing its job.

You probably wouldn't like to visit those sites, I surely wouldn't.

If you really, really, want to visit those site (at your own risk, of
course) uninstall Spybot S&D.

Zee

"Eileen" <vanvan@piasanet.com> wrote in message
> When searching Spybot warns that it is blocking Avenue A and I can't
search
> a lot of sites.
> Thanks, Eileen

A quick Google (k I actually use AltaVista but that's not a verb yet)
seems to show it as being present in such sites as MSN, etc.

While MSN is sortof on my "do not visit" list, I'd hardly consider it a
"shady" site.

Depends where you draw your line. I like to draw mine at originator,
ie: any site I visit can set cookies, but not secondary sites.

Rick

Shane wrote:
> Actually there are a no. of otherwise innocuous sites that use the AvenueA
> cookie. Personally I feel that the only reason to avoid such sites is
> *because* they use third-party tracking cookies and insist you accept them.
>
> There is no reason to uninstall Spybot S&D. The AvenueA blocking (in this
> case) is done by the real-time bad download blocking component (S&D Helper?
> As opposed to Tea Timer) and it should be disabled (permanently, IMO. With
> Spybot S&D I see no need for any more than unchecking all in *Ignore
> products* and hitting Immunise in *Immunise*. Spywareblaster does a better
> job at other blocking and even there I see no need for more than just
> hitting *enable all protection*).
>
> Shane
>

> "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
> Eileen,
>
> I would say Spybot S&D is doing its job.
>
> You probably wouldn't like to visit those sites, I surely wouldn't.
>
> If you really, really, want to visit those site (at your own risk, of
> course) uninstall Spybot S&D.
>
> Zee
>

> "Eileen" <vanvan@piasanet.com> wrote in message
>
>>When searching Spybot warns that it is blocking Avenue A and I can't
>
> search
>
>>a lot of sites.
>>Thanks, Eileen

Eileen,

Please read Shane's reply above.

Explains how to workaround that.

Zee

"Eileen" <vanvan@piasanet.com> wrote in message news:u17JSvRFFHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> It was "encyclopedia.com" and I did want to visit it and get info on
> chemistry.
> Eileen
>
> "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
> Eileen,
>
> I would say Spybot S&D is doing its job.
>
> You probably wouldn't like to visit those sites, I surely wouldn't.
>
> If you really, really, want to visit those site (at your own risk, of
> course) uninstall Spybot S&D.
>
> Zee
>

> "Eileen" <vanvan@piasanet.com> wrote in message
> > When searching Spybot warns that it is blocking Avenue A and I can't
> search
> > a lot of sites.
> > Thanks, Eileen

I am Spybot illiterate. I do not know how to "..... unchecking all in
*Ignore products*

Eileen,

Please read Shane's reply above.

Explains how to workaround that.

Zee

"Eileen" <vanvan@piasanet.com> wrote in message
> It was "encyclopedia.com" and I did want to visit it and get info on
> chemistry.
> Eileen
>
> "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
> Eileen,
>
> I would say Spybot S&D is doing its job.
>
> You probably wouldn't like to visit those sites, I surely wouldn't.
>
> If you really, really, want to visit those site (at your own risk, of
> course) uninstall Spybot S&D.
>
> Zee
>

> "Eileen" <vanvan@piasanet.com> wrote in message
> > When searching Spybot warns that it is blocking Avenue A and I can't
> search
> > a lot of sites.
> > Thanks, Eileen

Shane

With IE6.0 I use a custom xml file rather than the native settings, for all
but Trusted Zone sites (and the IE5 tool to add sites to Trusted Zone if
required). Otherwise it's first party, session cookies only unless in
Restricted Zone (in which case it's "no way Jose!"). The only long-term
cookie I have on this machine is for Microsoft.com.

Shane

> A quick Google (k I actually use AltaVista but that's not a verb yet)
> seems to show it as being present in such sites as MSN, etc.
>
> While MSN is sortof on my "do not visit" list, I'd hardly consider it a
> "shady" site.
>
> Depends where you draw your line. I like to draw mine at originator,
> ie: any site I visit can set cookies, but not secondary sites.
>

> Rick
>

> Shane wrote:
> > Actually there are a no. of otherwise innocuous sites that use the
AvenueA
> > cookie. Personally I feel that the only reason to avoid such sites is
> > *because* they use third-party tracking cookies and insist you accept
them.

> > There is no reason to uninstall Spybot S&D. The AvenueA blocking (in
this
> > case) is done by the real-time bad download blocking component (S&D
Helper?
> > As opposed to Tea Timer) and it should be disabled (permanently, IMO.
With
> > Spybot S&D I see no need for any more than unchecking all in *Ignore
> > products* and hitting Immunise in *Immunise*. Spywareblaster does a
better
> > job at other blocking and even there I see no need for more than just
> > hitting *enable all protection*).
> >
> > Shane
> >

> > "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Eileen,
> >
> > I would say Spybot S&D is doing its job.
> >
> > You probably wouldn't like to visit those sites, I surely wouldn't.
> >
> > If you really, really, want to visit those site (at your own risk, of
> > course) uninstall Spybot S&D.
> >
> > Zee
> >

> > "Eileen" <vanvan@piasanet.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>When searching Spybot warns that it is blocking Avenue A and I can't
> >
> > search
> >
> >>a lot of sites.
> >>Thanks, Eileen

Shane

Eileen,

When you open Spybot S&D it will be in *default mode*. The Settings button
is only available in advanced. So, open Spybot, click Mode, select Advanced.

In the left pane, click Settings, then Ignore Products, then in the
right-pane that opens right-click and in *All Products* select *Deselect
All*. Then in Cookies, select *Avenue A, inc*.

If this isn't enough, post back and we'll go further. But this should be the
quickest way to enable Avenue A, and ought to work regardless of what other
settings you have enabled.

I have to say, though, there are many good sources of scientific knowledge
on the web, most of which do not require surrendering your privacy to
advertisers.

Shane

> I am Spybot illiterate. I do not know how to "..... unchecking all in
> *Ignore products*
> Eileen
>
> "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
> Eileen,
>
> Please read Shane's reply above.
>
> Explains how to workaround that.
>
> Zee
>

> "Eileen" <vanvan@piasanet.com> wrote in message
> > It was "encyclopedia.com" and I did want to visit it and get info on
> > chemistry.
> > Eileen
> >
> > "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Eileen,
> >
> > I would say Spybot S&D is doing its job.
> >
> > You probably wouldn't like to visit those sites, I surely wouldn't.
> >
> > If you really, really, want to visit those site (at your own risk, of
> > course) uninstall Spybot S&D.
> >
> > Zee
> >

> > "Eileen" <vanvan@piasanet.com> wrote in message
> > > When searching Spybot warns that it is blocking Avenue A and I can't
> > search
> > > a lot of sites.
> > > Thanks, Eileen

Shane,
Thanks. I gather that you don't recommend deselecting Avenue A. Will print
out the instructions and will hold off for a while and see if it affects any
of my other sites.
Eileen

"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Eileen,
>
> When you open Spybot S&D it will be in *default mode*. The Settings button
> is only available in advanced. So, open Spybot, click Mode, select
Advanced.

> In the left pane, click Settings, then Ignore Products, then in the
> right-pane that opens right-click and in *All Products* select *Deselect
> All*. Then in Cookies, select *Avenue A, inc*.
>
> If this isn't enough, post back and we'll go further. But this should be
the
> quickest way to enable Avenue A, and ought to work regardless of what
other
> settings you have enabled.
>
> I have to say, though, there are many good sources of scientific knowledge
> on the web, most of which do not require surrendering your privacy to
> advertisers.
>

> Shane
>

> "Eileen" <vanvan@piasanet.com> wrote in message
> > I am Spybot illiterate. I do not know how to "..... unchecking all in
> > *Ignore products*
> > Eileen
> >
> > "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Eileen,
> >
> > Please read Shane's reply above.
> >
> > Explains how to workaround that.
> >
> > Zee
> >

> > "Eileen" <vanvan@piasanet.com> wrote in message
> > > It was "encyclopedia.com" and I did want to visit it and get info on
> > > chemistry.
> > > Eileen
> > >
> > > "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Eileen,
> > >
> > > I would say Spybot S&D is doing its job.
> > >
> > > You probably wouldn't like to visit those sites, I surely wouldn't.
> > >
> > > If you really, really, want to visit those site (at your own risk, of
> > > course) uninstall Spybot S&D.
> > >
> > > Zee
> > >

> > > "Eileen" <vanvan@piasanet.com> wrote in message
> > > search

Shane,

I looked at encyclopedia.com... unless their owner

Shane wrote:
> Eileen,
>
> When you open Spybot S&D it will be in *default mode*. The Settings button
> is only available in advanced. So, open Spybot, click Mode, select Advanced.
>
> In the left pane, click Settings, then Ignore Products, then in the
> right-pane that opens right-click and in *All Products* select *Deselect
> All*. Then in Cookies, select *Avenue A, inc*.
>
> If this isn't enough, post back and we'll go further. But this should be the
> quickest way to enable Avenue A, and ought to work regardless of what other
> settings you have enabled.
>
> I have to say, though, there are many good sources of scientific knowledge
> on the web, most of which do not require surrendering your privacy to
> advertisers.

It's not all that obvious on that site... source is strictly
highbeam.com but in a javascript there's a tracking pixel. Looks like
they hijacked a doubleclick script :)

Rick

Rick T wrote:
> Shane,
>
> I looked at encyclopedia.com... unless their owner
yeah that was helpful :/

There's a javascrpit with a tracking pixel in it... looks like they
hijacked a doubleclick script (lol)

Rick