Win XP can't see my 2nd HD

Wooh boy you guys are going to have fun with this one. o_O

Okay, here is the layout. WinXP Pro, Primary Master HD is a Western
Digital 40gig. Attempting to install as a seconday drive a Segate
20gig. On installation of the Secondary drive, no major problems seem
to appear. No matter what jumper settings I use, it shows up in BIOS
just as it should.

Here is the problem though... as soon as I get into windows, the drive
dissapears. Device manager wont even see
it. Its as if doesnt exist. Now, i have since formated the drive,
repartitioned the drive, rejumpered the drive and any combination
there of, and still nothing. However, I can boot off a win98 floppy,
and mess around with it to my hearts content, no problems what so
ever.

Oh yeah, i doubt that it matters, but my 40gig is partitioned into
four 10gig partitions. Primary partiton is NTFS and the other 3 are
Fat32. The 20gig that i am trying to install is also going to be
Fat32 as I only need it for overflow storage.

Let me know what you all think. This one has had me pondering for a
couple weeks now. I love the challenge, but unfortunately i need to
get this up and running so i'm calling for backup.

-Khavrren

"khavrren" <khavrren@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Wooh boy you guys are going to have fun with this one. o_O
>
> Okay, here is the layout. WinXP Pro, Primary Master HD is a Western
> Digital 40gig. Attempting to install as a seconday drive a Segate
> 20gig. On installation of the Secondary drive, no major problems seem
> to appear. No matter what jumper settings I use, it shows up in BIOS
> just as it should.
>
> Here is the problem though... as soon as I get into windows, the drive
> dissapears. Device manager wont even see
> it. Its as if doesnt exist. Now, i have since formated the drive,
> repartitioned the drive, rejumpered the drive and any combination
> there of, and still nothing. However, I can boot off a win98 floppy,
> and mess around with it to my hearts content, no problems what so
> ever.
>
> Oh yeah, i doubt that it matters, but my 40gig is partitioned into
> four 10gig partitions. Primary partiton is NTFS and the other 3 are
> Fat32. The 20gig that i am trying to install is also going to be
> Fat32 as I only need it for overflow storage.
>
> Let me know what you all think. This one has had me pondering for a
> couple weeks now. I love the challenge, but unfortunately i need to
> get this up and running so i'm calling for backup.
>
> -Khavrren

Have you tried Drive Manager?
Mike.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"khavrren" <khavrren@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Wooh boy you guys are going to have fun with this one. o_O
>
> Okay, here is the layout. WinXP Pro, Primary Master HD is a Western
> Digital 40gig. Attempting to install as a seconday drive a Segate
> 20gig. On installation of the Secondary drive, no major problems seem
> to appear. No matter what jumper settings I use, it shows up in BIOS
> just as it should.
>
> Here is the problem though... as soon as I get into windows, the drive
> dissapears. Device manager wont even see
> it. Its as if doesnt exist. Now, i have since formated the drive,
> repartitioned the drive, rejumpered the drive and any combination
> there of, and still nothing. However, I can boot off a win98 floppy,
> and mess around with it to my hearts content, no problems what so
> ever.
>
> Oh yeah, i doubt that it matters, but my 40gig is partitioned into
> four 10gig partitions. Primary partiton is NTFS and the other 3 are
> Fat32. The 20gig that i am trying to install is also going to be
> Fat32 as I only need it for overflow storage.
>
> Let me know what you all think. This one has had me pondering for a
> couple weeks now. I love the challenge, but unfortunately i need to
> get this up and running so i'm calling for backup.

Try it with one partition on each drive.....

jad

reset configuration data in the bios,,,this should be done every time
you make changes to hardware. With ECS boards you should reset the
damn CMOS everytime you change. Reallocating system resources. I
realize that with some boards this goes without a hitch without doing
so, however when weird bios/OS anomalies appear, this is my first
step.

"khavrren" <khavrren@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Wooh boy you guys are going to have fun with this one. o_O
>
> Okay, here is the layout. WinXP Pro, Primary Master HD is a Western
> Digital 40gig. Attempting to install as a seconday drive a Segate
> 20gig. On installation of the Secondary drive, no major problems
seem
> to appear. No matter what jumper settings I use, it shows up in
BIOS
> just as it should.
>
> Here is the problem though... as soon as I get into windows, the
drive
> dissapears. Device manager wont even see
> it. Its as if doesnt exist. Now, i have since formated the drive,
> repartitioned the drive, rejumpered the drive and any combination
> there of, and still nothing. However, I can boot off a win98
floppy,
> and mess around with it to my hearts content, no problems what so
> ever.
>
> Oh yeah, i doubt that it matters, but my 40gig is partitioned into
> four 10gig partitions. Primary partiton is NTFS and the other 3 are
> Fat32. The 20gig that i am trying to install is also going to be
> Fat32 as I only need it for overflow storage.
>
> Let me know what you all think. This one has had me pondering for a
> couple weeks now. I love the challenge, but unfortunately i need to
> get this up and running so i'm calling for backup.
>
> -Khavrren

I've already jumped through all the IDE connector and Jumper
configurations. They all work in being able to get the drive to
appear in BIOS, but none of them allow it to show up in the device
manager of XP.

I didnt want to mess around with the partitions on my Primary HD
(PHD)because I already have a lot of info stored on there. The basic
plan for me was to install this second HD so I could remove all my
important stuff from the PHD and back it up on the other.

Im tending to think the problem is a software one in XP, but that
doesn't seem to make full sense. XP shouldnt need drivers for loading
a HD. It should be pretty much just plug and play (or at least that
is what one would hope). I dunno. Im still trying what ever I can but
I am pretty well stupmed.

-Khavrren

> Okay, here is the layout. WinXP Pro, Primary Master HD is a Western
> Digital 40gig. Attempting to install as a seconday drive a Segate
> 20gig. On installation of the Secondary drive, no major problems seem
> to appear. No matter what jumper settings I use, it shows up in BIOS
> just as it should.
> Here is the problem though... as soon as I get into windows, the drive
> dissapears. Device manager wont even see
> it. Its as if doesnt exist. Now, i have since formated the drive,
> repartitioned the drive, rejumpered the drive and any combination
> there of, and still nothing. However, I can boot off a win98 floppy,
> and mess around with it to my hearts content, no problems what so
> ever.
> Oh yeah, i doubt that it matters, but my 40gig is partitioned into
> four 10gig partitions. Primary partiton is NTFS and the other 3 are
> Fat32. The 20gig that i am trying to install is also going to be
> Fat32 as I only need it for overflow storage.
>
> Let me know what you all think. This one has had me pondering for a
> couple weeks now. I love the challenge, but unfortunately i need to
> get this up and running so i'm calling for backup.

What happens if you try connecting the Seagate drive to another
IDE connector on the motherboard? You can temporarily use
the one connected to your CD or DVD drive.

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner KC COMPUTERS
E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer for 13+ years!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

khavrren wrote:

> Wooh boy you guys are going to have fun with this one. o_O
>
> Okay, here is the layout. WinXP Pro, Primary Master HD is a Western
> Digital 40gig. Attempting to install as a seconday drive a Segate
> 20gig. On installation of the Secondary drive, no major problems seem
> to appear. No matter what jumper settings I use, it shows up in BIOS
> just as it should.
>
> Here is the problem though... as soon as I get into windows, the drive
> dissapears. Device manager wont even see
> it. Its as if doesnt exist. Now, i have since formated the drive,
> repartitioned the drive, rejumpered the drive and any combination
> there of, and still nothing. However, I can boot off a win98 floppy,
> and mess around with it to my hearts content, no problems what so
> ever.
>
> Oh yeah, i doubt that it matters, but my 40gig is partitioned into
> four 10gig partitions. Primary partiton is NTFS and the other 3 are
> Fat32. The 20gig that i am trying to install is also going to be
> Fat32 as I only need it for overflow storage.
>
> Let me know what you all think. This one has had me pondering for a
> couple weeks now. I love the challenge, but unfortunately i need to
> get this up and running so i'm calling for backup.
>
> -Khavrren

Did you change the WD jumpers from it's normal 'single drive' setting to
master WITH slave?

gw

Check to make sure that your primary partation is a primary, sounds
like a problem I had once when partation magic made all my partations
extended including the first one. Windows will not look at an extended
partation for its root.

David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<10qdjsqk7n5f180@corp.supernews.com>...
> khavrren wrote:
>
> > Wooh boy you guys are going to have fun with this one. o_O
> >
> > Okay, here is the layout. WinXP Pro, Primary Master HD is a Western
> > Digital 40gig. Attempting to install as a seconday drive a Segate
> > 20gig. On installation of the Secondary drive, no major problems seem
> > to appear. No matter what jumper settings I use, it shows up in BIOS
> > just as it should.
> >
> > Here is the problem though... as soon as I get into windows, the drive
> > dissapears. Device manager wont even see
> > it. Its as if doesnt exist. Now, i have since formated the drive,
> > repartitioned the drive, rejumpered the drive and any combination
> > there of, and still nothing. However, I can boot off a win98 floppy,
> > and mess around with it to my hearts content, no problems what so
> > ever.
> >
> > Oh yeah, i doubt that it matters, but my 40gig is partitioned into
> > four 10gig partitions. Primary partiton is NTFS and the other 3 are
> > Fat32. The 20gig that i am trying to install is also going to be
> > Fat32 as I only need it for overflow storage.
> >
> > Let me know what you all think. This one has had me pondering for a
> > couple weeks now. I love the challenge, but unfortunately i need to
> > get this up and running so i'm calling for backup.
> >
> > -Khavrren
> >

> Did you change the WD jumpers from it's normal 'single drive' setting to
> master WITH slave?

gw

PS -2 points spelling