Image Preview

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

It doesn't work except when I click on the button for it
in the box in the bottom left hand corner of the right
hand pane in Windows Explorer. I've tried changing the
program that JPGs open with and it didn't help.

Shane

Try the regfile available here: http://aumha.org/downloads/jpgprevw.zip
Download, unzip, d-click (or r-click, select merge).

Shane

"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Try the regfile available here:
http://aumha.org/downloads/jpgprevw.zip
> Download, unzip, d-click (or r-click, select merge).
>
> Shane
>

> "Henry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It doesn't work except when I click on the button for it
> > in the box in the bottom left hand corner of the right
> > hand pane in Windows Explorer. I've tried changing the
> > program that JPGs open with and it didn't help.

Or just open up the Run box (in Start Menu) and type
REGSVR32 THUMBVW.DLL
This re-registers the ability to produce thumbnails.
Regards Mike.

Mike Cawood, HND BIT <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> Or just open up the Run box (in Start Menu) and type
> REGSVR32 THUMBVW.DLL
> This re-registers the ability to produce thumbnails.

The poster is having problems with Image Preview not thumbnails.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

> Mike Cawood, HND BIT <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > Or just open up the Run box (in Start Menu) and type
> > REGSVR32 THUMBVW.DLL
> > This re-registers the ability to produce thumbnails.
>
> The poster is having problems with Image Preview not thumbnails.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com

Sorry, I obviously misread the message.
Regards Mike.

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

I forgot to mention that I was also having trouble with
thumbnails. I did the REGSVR32 THUMBVW.DLL and now they
work(Thanks Mike Cawood),but I merged both reg files and
Image Preview still doesn't work. The pics open in
PhotoEditor and a message says Windows couldn't find them.

Mike,

However it now looks as if you are a mind reader by posting the solution
to the unasked question. Well done. <vbg>
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

So doesn't someone have any more suggestions?

Shane

Normally, changing the program that .jpg opens with does the trick (I'm
talking specifically about going from Photo Editor to Image Preview,
something I have to do after installing Office 2000, since IP is better than
PE at displaying images).

Presumably you've r-clicked a .jpg, selected Open With/Choose Program (or
Properties/Opens With), selected Image Preview and put a check in *Always
open this file type with*?

If so, try the reg file in the attached zip.

> So doesn't someone have any more suggestions?

begin 666 jpgimg.zip
M4$L#!!0````(`/E65#(S0UX3@ ```(,````*````:G!G:6UG+G)E9Q7-30K"
M,!! X7T@E\@!NG+K0MJQK;8B27\01TJI$0(A"9-(>WSK\L$'3T()1=T=../L
M65WA,>6]E'#KIEZ!1.4_:9U)8VL6\G$O'(U[^S5B_B72+@V:HO$.80O6DR8\
M&ZMA2Q&SR[U\<29.(5BSS&E7XBA45;?E,&9%TXC_E+,?4$L!`A0`% ````@`
M^594,C-#7A. ````@P````H``````````0`@`````````&IP9VEM9RYR96=0
52P4&``````$``0`X````J ``````
`
end

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

Yes, I've right-clicked on a jpg, etc. I did it again
after merging jpgimg.reg and it still opened in
PhotoEditor and I still got the message.

(CDO, Shane - no file downloads!)

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> First, try typing in Start | Run, without the quotes:
>
> "REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL"
>
> Then try the reg files again. If that doesn't do the trick.......
>
> Another reg file, zipped and attached. Back up the registry before running
> Start | Run, type, without quotes "SCANREG".
>

> If that doesn't do it.........
>
> I reset the association on this machine before answering your first post
> (it
> worked by the *Always open with.....* step) and first checked (just to
> see)
> in the Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | File Types applet, and
> *Advanced*
> was not available for JPG, only *Change*, which just brings up the *Open
> with....* applet again. Otherwise I'd have suggested trying that. All I
> can
> think now is you should run the Office Add/Remove routine and uninstall
> Photo Editor (which is neither as good as Image Preview and Paint and/or
> IrfanView anyway, but you can re-install it anyway if you must). At worst
> that should leave the graphics filetypes unassociated, or associated with
> an
> application no longer available.
>
> If uninstalling Photo Editor doesn't reassociate graphics filetypes with
> their original viewers, you can re-try the steps you tried so far. Maybe
> they'll work now that Photo Editor has been removed. Maybe you'll now get
> an
> *Advanced* option in Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | File Types | JPG.
>

> Shane
>

> "Henry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, I've right-clicked on a jpg, etc. I did it again
>> after merging jpgimg.reg and it still opened in
>> PhotoEditor and I still got the message.

Shane

Interesting point, Noel. Henry gave me the impression of having tried the
previous zipped reg file I posted.............

Shane

> (CDO, Shane - no file downloads!)
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > First, try typing in Start | Run, without the quotes:
> >
> > "REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL"
> >
> > Then try the reg files again. If that doesn't do the trick.......
> >
> > Another reg file, zipped and attached. Back up the registry before
running
> > Start | Run, type, without quotes "SCANREG".
> >

> > If that doesn't do it.........
> >
> > I reset the association on this machine before answering your first post
> > (it
> > worked by the *Always open with.....* step) and first checked (just to
> > see)
> > in the Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | File Types applet, and
> > *Advanced*
> > was not available for JPG, only *Change*, which just brings up the *Open
> > with....* applet again. Otherwise I'd have suggested trying that. All I
> > can
> > think now is you should run the Office Add/Remove routine and uninstall
> > Photo Editor (which is neither as good as Image Preview and Paint and/or
> > IrfanView anyway, but you can re-install it anyway if you must). At
worst
> > that should leave the graphics filetypes unassociated, or associated
with
> > an
> > application no longer available.
> >
> > If uninstalling Photo Editor doesn't reassociate graphics filetypes with
> > their original viewers, you can re-try the steps you tried so far. Maybe
> > they'll work now that Photo Editor has been removed. Maybe you'll now
get
> > an
> > *Advanced* option in Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | File Types |
JPG.

> > Shane
> >

> > "Henry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Yes, I've right-clicked on a jpg, etc. I did it again
> >> after merging jpgimg.reg and it still opened in
> >> PhotoEditor and I still got the message.

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

I already tried uninstalling PhotoEditor. JPG was no
longer listed in the file types.

Shane

If you're still there, Henry, try installing Irfanview:
http://www.irfanview.com/download_sites.htm and associating it with .jpgs.
You might want to keep Irfanview as default graphic files viewer anyway, but
lets see if you *can*.

Interestingly, I ran the Photo Editor uninstall myself tonight (in XP) but
it was still there afterwards. However I have no problems with associations,
I just don't want it in the Open With list when I never use it.

> I already tried uninstalling PhotoEditor. JPG was no
> longer listed in the file types.

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

I tried several download sites and it never worked.
PhotoEditor is still uninstalled. If I double-click on a
jpg, Windows installer tries to install PhotoEditor.

> I tried several download sites and it never worked.

Presumably you mean, then, it didn't download. This one works perfectly
well: http://tucows.enta.net/files2/iview395.exe

Shane

> PhotoEditor is still uninstalled. If I double-click on a
> jpg, Windows installer tries to install PhotoEditor.

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

It downloaded. During installation I put a check in the
box for JPGs but when I double-clicked on a pic,
PhotoEditor still tried to install. Then I right-clicked
on a pic, chose "choose program" and associated it with
JPGs that way. It worked.

Shane

Glad to hear that. I'm supposing they're associated with IrfanView, rather
than Image Preview. I do wonder if this is a fix or a kludge, but truth to
say I think when you've got IrfanView configured to your taste, it's better
than anything that comes with windows (though I do like the options
available in XP! But even in XP I edit graphics files with IrfanView).