Intel 925X P4 CPU fan has loud whine

I just installed an intel P4 550 (boxed CPU and Fan).
The fan is giving out a loud whining (whirring?) sound, whose pitch and
volume increases and decreases with the fan speed.

Is it normal ? It is much louder than I would have expected. quite high
pitched.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Anthony J. Elcocks" <no@addy.com> wrote in message
>I just installed an intel P4 550 (boxed CPU and Fan).
> The fan is giving out a loud whining (whirring?) sound, whose pitch and
> volume increases and decreases with the fan speed.
>
> Is it normal ? It is much louder than I would have expected. quite high
> pitched.

This is normal if the case is poorly ventilated.