Added more RAM, now CPU won't start!!??

I have an Intel Celeron 1.4 Gig computer, running XP,
with only 128MB SDRAM. Computer was a little sluggish
and so I went out and got more RAM. 512MB of SDRAM
today, that's the max amount of RAM for the CPU. I
took out the 128 and put in the 512. I went to start
the computer and it starts normal for about 2 secs.
and then nothing. I hear one beep and normal lights
on front of CPU at first. Then the CPU is just "on" with
nothing happening. The back fan is on if that means
anything.
Then I removed the new RAM and put the old RAM in.
The same thing happens and the computer won't
start. The computer worked fine up until 40 mins ago.
I unplugged the whole CPU and waited a while before
changing out the RAM.

Any ideas would be extremely apprciated!!!!! Thanks!
26 answers Last reply
More about added start

    reset configuration data in the bios after you install the ram.

    "herbiehusker" <husker_pimpin@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
    message news:41a5682a$1_4@alt.athenanews.com...

    husker_pimpin@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (herbiehusker) wrote:

    >I have an Intel Celeron 1.4 Gig computer, running XP,
    >with only 128MB SDRAM. Computer was a little sluggish
    >and so I went out and got more RAM. 512MB of SDRAM
    >today, that's the max amount of RAM for the CPU. I
    >took out the 128 and put in the 512. I went to start
    >the computer and it starts normal for about 2 secs.
    >and then nothing. I hear one beep and normal lights
    >on front of CPU at first. Then the CPU is just "on" with
    >nothing happening. The back fan is on if that means
    >anything.
    >Then I removed the new RAM and put the old RAM in.
    >The same thing happens and the computer won't
    >start. The computer worked fine up until 40 mins ago.
    >I unplugged the whole CPU and waited a while before
    >changing out the RAM.
    >
    >Any ideas would be extremely apprciated!!!!! Thanks!

    I would suggest the most likely problem is you have dislodged a cable or
    card somewhere in the case.

    Start by checking this and report back with any results.

    Hope this helps

    Andy

    Thanks guys for the help.

    I don't get anything on the computer screen. No BIOS or anything. The
    monitor says it's working fine and to check the CPU.

    And Tweek, you are right, the mobo has the 810e chipset so 512 won't
    work. That' good to know now, thanks for that. So will putting in the
    512 overkill the motherboard since it can only take two 256?

    I double checked all the cables and they are all seated fine. I also
    put the original RAM back in and it is seated fine. But still nothing
    happens.

    The hard drive light on the front of the CPU will light up a couple
    times real quick before nothing else happens. Also, the light on the
    CD drive blinks throughout the process. The weird thing is the light
    around the power on/off switch will not come on at all, even though
    the hard drive light does come on. The CPU does beep once before no
    other sounds are heard at startup.

    I completely unplugged the CPU before I even took the case off. I
    touched a lot of metal before going inside the CPU to prevent static
    and only touched the outside wide edges of the RAM when inserting it.
    I read on a website of how to install new RAM that that was a good way
    to prevent static charges.

    But why won't the original RAM etc. . . work now?

    Lights on CD-Rom and disk drive say that computers inside
    those components are working. Your description suggests
    motherboard computer is not working.

    Number of possibilities - all of which demonstrate, for
    example, why the most reliable cars are those that keep humans
    outside the engine compartment.

    Something has been moved and is now causing motherboard
    failure. For example, a minimal configuration - remove RAM,
    keyboard, mouse, monitor - should still result in CPU beeping
    speaker. First just remove all RAM and power up. Speaker
    should at least beep an error code.

    You don't even know power supply is working. Fans can spin
    and disk drive computer flashes LED - and still power supply
    is not working. After confirming everything is properly
    seated, that nothing conductive has been dropped inside, and
    after doing a BIOS reset (find the jumper), then no
    alternative but to begin a process of confirming what is and
    is not working. That means starting with the power supply -
    the one device that can cause all sorts of other strange
    problems. Procedure done faster and conclusively with a 3.5
    digit multimeter. Procedure provided later if still required.

    Good luck and report back.

    herbiehusker wrote:
    > Thanks guys for the help.
    >
    > I don't get anything on the computer screen. No BIOS or anything. The
    > monitor says it's working fine and to check the CPU.
    >
    > And Tweek, you are right, the mobo has the 810e chipset so 512 won't
    > work. That' good to know now, thanks for that. So will putting in the
    > 512 overkill the motherboard since it can only take two 256?
    >
    > I double checked all the cables and they are all seated fine. I also
    > put the original RAM back in and it is seated fine. But still nothing
    > happens.
    >
    > The hard drive light on the front of the CPU will light up a couple
    > times real quick before nothing else happens. Also, the light on the
    > CD drive blinks throughout the process. The weird thing is the light
    > around the power on/off switch will not come on at all, even though
    > the hard drive light does come on. The CPU does beep once before no
    > other sounds are heard at startup.
    >
    > I completely unplugged the CPU before I even took the case off. I
    > touched a lot of metal before going inside the CPU to prevent static
    > and only touched the outside wide edges of the RAM when inserting it.
    > I read on a website of how to install new RAM that that was a good way
    > to prevent static charges.
    >
    > But why won't the original RAM etc. . . work now?

    > But it doesn't explain why the problem's still there when this
    > person puts the 128 meg stick of RAM back in.

    Yep, that's what I'm baffled with.

    So let's say I brought a static charge to the computer when I went to
    change out the RAM. What would be the consequence of that? Would it
    fry my motherboard? Would that cause things to happen to my computer
    where I can't start it like is what is happening to me now with the
    original RAM back in? I've read where you should hear beeps from the
    motherboard telling you that RAM is bad or something else is bad but I
    hear one beep at the very beginning of the computer starting up and
    it's the same beep I hear at the beginning of starting the computer up
    when it is running fine.

    /thank goodness for Thanksgiving Day sales tomorrow if I blew
    something up

    A lot of socket 370 Celeron machines were built with motherboards that use
    the Intel 810e chipset. If that is the case, the maximum amount of ram the
    board will take is two 256mb low density modules. Each module needs to have
    sixteen chips on it, eight on each side. That may be your problem.

    herbiehusker wrote:
    > I have an Intel Celeron 1.4 Gig computer, running XP,
    > with only 128MB SDRAM. Computer was a little sluggish
    > and so I went out and got more RAM. 512MB of SDRAM
    > today, that's the max amount of RAM for the CPU.

    Nothing to do with the CPU, the motherboard (and in some cases the
    operating system) restrict the amount of RAM.

    > took out the 128 and put in the 512. I went to start
    > the computer and it starts normal for about 2 secs.
    > and then nothing. I hear one beep and normal lights
    > on front of CPU at first. Then the CPU is just "on" with
    > nothing happening. The back fan is on if that means
    > anything.

    There are no lights on a CPU.

    > Then I removed the new RAM and put the old RAM in.
    > The same thing happens and the computer won't
    > start. The computer worked fine up until 40 mins ago.
    > I unplugged the whole CPU and waited a while before
    > changing out the RAM.

    Did you take precautions against static electricity damaging your
    components? Did you completely disconnect the power cord? Have you tried
    to reseat the video card? Do you get any video signal in the "normal for
    about 2 secs." period?

    > Any ideas would be extremely apprciated!!!!! Thanks!

    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    > A lot of socket 370 Celeron machines were built with motherboards that use
    > the Intel 810e chipset. If that is the case, the maximum amount of ram the
    > board will take is two 256mb low density modules. Each module needs to have
    > sixteen chips on it, eight on each side. That may be your problem.

    But it doesn't explain why the problem's still there when this
    person puts the 128 meg stick of RAM back in.

    If static discharged into computer, well, no one can say
    (with any accuracy) what did and did not happen. For example,
    CMOS ICs have internal protection that makes damage unlikely -
    or less likely. But first we must know what the incoming and
    outgoing paths of that discharge were. For example, the
    incoming path could have been your hands. Where on
    motherboard did that discharge occur? Many static discharges
    are not apparent. Some can take paths that are not
    destructive causing some computer assemblers to claim static
    protection is not necessary. Other static discharge can do in
    the complete board - again depending on the strength of that
    discharge and the path (incoming and outgoing) of that
    electrical current.

    For example, I did a bad. I discharged into the ethernet
    cable. That particular discharge was so violent as to pass
    through isolation transformer and damage the ethernet driver
    interface chip. I confirmed it with the o'scope (to provide
    some idea how technically informed my recommendations are
    based and what I require to make such a definitive
    conclusion).

    Now back to your problem. Previously posted is how one
    solved problems in a step by step (organized and informed)
    process. Possible to do damage to motherboard if RAM is not
    carefully installed - assuming other marginal conditions (ie
    slightly bent pin) exists. Not likely, but possible. Also
    possible that other unrelated failures occurred
    simultaneously. Anyone can speculate numerous failures as so
    many have done. To be informed, one first obtains facts.
    What happens when the system is started with no RAM - a very
    important symptom?

    herbiehusker wrote:
    > Yep, that's what I'm baffled with.
    >
    > So let's say I brought a static charge to the computer when I went to
    > change out the RAM. What would be the consequence of that? Would it
    > fry my motherboard? Would that cause things to happen to my computer
    > where I can't start it like is what is happening to me now with the
    > original RAM back in? I've read where you should hear beeps from the
    > motherboard telling you that RAM is bad or something else is bad but I
    > hear one beep at the very beginning of the computer starting up and
    > it's the same beep I hear at the beginning of starting the computer up
    > when it is running fine.
    >
    > /thank goodness for Thanksgiving Day sales tomorrow if I blew
    > something up

    oops. didn't see that part of his post.

    "Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
    >> A lot of socket 370 Celeron machines were built with motherboards that
    >> use the Intel 810e chipset. If that is the case, the maximum amount of
    >> ram the board will take is two 256mb low density modules. Each module
    >> needs to have sixteen chips on it, eight on each side. That may be your
    >> problem.
    >
    > But it doesn't explain why the problem's still there when this person puts
    > the 128 meg stick of RAM back in.

    It won't take the 512mb module at all because by it's nature it is a high
    density part. Two low density modules are all it will take. I don't see how
    it could kill the mainboard though. I would suggest putting your 128 back
    in, unplugging the machine from the wall and pulling the cmos battery for
    awhile. Put it back in after a few hours and try again. I have a P4 board
    that someone gave me that would not post. He replaced the board and swapped
    the cpu and battery into the new one. I had it for a couple of weeks before
    I did anything with it. I put a cpu, battery and ram in it and it seems to
    work fine now.

    "herbiehusker" <husker_pimpin@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
    message news:41a62e6c$1_2@alt.athenanews.com...
    > Thanks guys for the help.
    >
    > I don't get anything on the computer screen. No BIOS or anything. The
    > monitor says it's working fine and to check the CPU.
    >
    > And Tweek, you are right, the mobo has the 810e chipset so 512 won't
    > work. That' good to know now, thanks for that. So will putting in the
    > 512 overkill the motherboard since it can only take two 256?
    >
    > I double checked all the cables and they are all seated fine. I also
    > put the original RAM back in and it is seated fine. But still nothing
    > happens.
    >
    > The hard drive light on the front of the CPU will light up a couple
    > times real quick before nothing else happens. Also, the light on the
    > CD drive blinks throughout the process. The weird thing is the light
    > around the power on/off switch will not come on at all, even though
    > the hard drive light does come on. The CPU does beep once before no
    > other sounds are heard at startup.
    >
    > I completely unplugged the CPU before I even took the case off. I
    > touched a lot of metal before going inside the CPU to prevent static
    > and only touched the outside wide edges of the RAM when inserting it.
    > I read on a website of how to install new RAM that that was a good way
    > to prevent static charges.
    >
    > But why won't the original RAM etc. . . work now?

    if you are geeting one beep, thaat is the post beep. power on self test.
    the mobo gives that if everything plugged into the mobo is ok. the logic
    then looks out chanel one eide and if it finds an operating system loads it.
    it sounds like all is well until operating system starts to load. check
    cables to be sure not loose at hard drive or mobo. if have extra, just
    replace to be sure or swap with one running cdrom.

    do you have video? if not, reseat video card. Make sure monitor cable is
    good and plugged in at both ends. memory may be red herring here. could be
    alls well but monitor bad. many times it is simple things causing errors,
    not complex ones.

    also. watch keyboard when you power up. if you get keyboard flash then
    mobo and cpu are good.

    > I don't get anything on the computer screen. No BIOS or anything. The
    > monitor says it's working fine and to check the CPU.
    >
    > And Tweek, you are right, the mobo has the 810e chipset so 512 won't
    > work. That' good to know now, thanks for that. So will putting in the
    > 512 overkill the motherboard since it can only take two 256?
    >
    > I double checked all the cables and they are all seated fine. I also
    > put the original RAM back in and it is seated fine. But still nothing
    > happens.
    >
    > The hard drive light on the front of the CPU will light up a couple
    > times real quick before nothing else happens. Also, the light on the
    > CD drive blinks throughout the process. The weird thing is the light
    > around the power on/off switch will not come on at all, even though
    > the hard drive light does come on. The CPU does beep once before no
    > other sounds are heard at startup.
    >
    > I completely unplugged the CPU before I even took the case off. I
    > touched a lot of metal before going inside the CPU to prevent static
    > and only touched the outside wide edges of the RAM when inserting it.
    > I read on a website of how to install new RAM that that was a good way
    > to prevent static charges.
    >
    > But why won't the original RAM etc. . . work now?

    Since all you did was take out and replace the RAM sticks a few
    times, I'm going to take a guess and say that you cracked your
    motherboard when you were seating them.

    "herbiehusker" <husker_pimpin@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
    message news:41a63e0a$1_5@alt.athenanews.com...
    > > But it doesn't explain why the problem's still there when this
    > > person puts the 128 meg stick of RAM back in.
    >
    > Yep, that's what I'm baffled with.
    >
    > So let's say I brought a static charge to the computer when I went to
    > change out the RAM. What would be the consequence of that? Would it
    > fry my motherboard?

    Very possibly. Static does not jump until it reaches around 500v, that's how
    much of a shock YOU get getting out of your car. If the components are of
    the CMOS variety they only use 7 to 15 volts, so YES static can easily fry
    them.

    Would that cause things to happen to my computer
    > where I can't start it like is what is happening to me now with the
    > original RAM back in?

    Your board could still be good. Static is a nasty thing to trace. It could
    go through one component but fry the next, so any one part of the board may
    be down or any one of the other cards.

    I've read where you should hear beeps from the
    > motherboard telling you that RAM is bad or something else is bad but I
    > hear one beep at the very beginning of the computer starting up and
    > it's the same beep I hear at the beginning of starting the computer up
    > when it is running fine.

    Sorry that's my little bit done. Just remembered this from when I did my
    Antistatic training for Clean Room work, while working for Hewllet Parkard.

    I do seam to remember that when I was building PCs from parts found at
    dumps, as you do, I tried to check boards, and cards without using the
    expensive CPUs and stuff. I found that doing this nothing worked, until I
    put the CPU in. This is what starts the feed to the screen, so you may have
    killed your CPU with static. ???

    OK just to let you know I'm guessing here, as I have built many, but usually
    through trial and error fault finding rather than experience, so I'll leave
    you with the other much more knowledgeable persons for how to track down the
    fault, and hopefully fix it.

    Best of luck Vaughn
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Nice to see my post was not completely incorrect. But hell did you put it
    better. ;-)

    You obviously posted yours while I was trying to remember what I knew.

    Very good point on the 'step by step' part, and no ram check as it could be
    his RAM or its location slot.

    Putting this lot in the book of my own, thanks Vaughn

    "w_tom" <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If static discharged into computer, well, no one can say
    > (with any accuracy) what did and did not happen. For example,
    > CMOS ICs have internal protection that makes damage unlikely -
    > or less likely. But first we must know what the incoming and
    > outgoing paths of that discharge were. For example, the
    > incoming path could have been your hands. Where on
    > motherboard did that discharge occur? Many static discharges
    > are not apparent. Some can take paths that are not
    > destructive causing some computer assemblers to claim static
    > protection is not necessary. Other static discharge can do in
    > the complete board - again depending on the strength of that
    > discharge and the path (incoming and outgoing) of that
    > electrical current.
    >
    > For example, I did a bad. I discharged into the ethernet
    > cable. That particular discharge was so violent as to pass
    > through isolation transformer and damage the ethernet driver
    > interface chip. I confirmed it with the o'scope (to provide
    > some idea how technically informed my recommendations are
    > based and what I require to make such a definitive
    > conclusion).
    >
    > Now back to your problem. Previously posted is how one
    > solved problems in a step by step (organized and informed)
    > process. Possible to do damage to motherboard if RAM is not
    > carefully installed - assuming other marginal conditions (ie
    > slightly bent pin) exists. Not likely, but possible. Also
    > possible that other unrelated failures occurred
    > simultaneously. Anyone can speculate numerous failures as so
    > many have done. To be informed, one first obtains facts.
    > What happens when the system is started with no RAM - a very
    > important symptom?
    >
    > herbiehusker wrote:
    > > Yep, that's what I'm baffled with.
    > >
    > > So let's say I brought a static charge to the computer when I went to
    > > change out the RAM. What would be the consequence of that? Would it
    > > fry my motherboard? Would that cause things to happen to my computer
    > > where I can't start it like is what is happening to me now with the
    > > original RAM back in? I've read where you should hear beeps from the
    > > motherboard telling you that RAM is bad or something else is bad but I
    > > hear one beep at the very beginning of the computer starting up and
    > > it's the same beep I hear at the beginning of starting the computer up
    > > when it is running fine.
    > >
    > > /thank goodness for Thanksgiving Day sales tomorrow if I blew
    > > something up
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "-Alby Hewlet" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > if you are geeting one beep, thaat is the post beep. power on self test.
    > the mobo gives that if everything plugged into the mobo is ok. the logic
    > then looks out chanel one eide and if it finds an operating system loads
    it.
    > it sounds like all is well until operating system starts to load. check
    > cables to be sure not loose at hard drive or mobo. if have extra, just
    > replace to be sure or swap with one running cdrom.
    >
    > do you have video? if not, reseat video card. Make sure monitor cable is
    > good and plugged in at both ends. memory may be red herring here. could
    be
    > alls well but monitor bad. many times it is simple things causing errors,
    > not complex ones.
    >
    > also. watch keyboard when you power up. if you get keyboard flash then
    > mobo and cpu are good.

    Going to put both feet Firmly into the back of my mouth, and just come out
    with this.

    I seem to remember that on some of the old Pcs I based together, if anything
    was added to the PC, especially RAM, I often had to fully reset the Bios, so
    would he have to now reset the video card, if AGP, and then HD type info if
    not already set, or able to be set to AUTO??

    Sorry if I'm asking the idiotic, but trying to learn here as well.

    Thanks all Vaughn
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    ok, I'm not sure what I need to look for as far as the video card is
    concerned. It is not a card that you can put in a PCI slot because the
    only one in there is the modem one. I'm guessing it's something around
    where the monitor is plugged in??

    Also, when I turn the monitor on, the light blinks. On the monitor
    there is a screen that flashes for about a minute that says the
    monitor is working fine so check the CPU. When I turn the computer on
    though, the monitor light still blinks and nothing comes up on the
    screen.

    I tried to reset the CMOS with the jumpers on the mobo. And I think I
    did something wrong because now when I plug the computer back into the
    wall the computer starts up without me having to hit the off/on
    button??? I took the jumper and moved it to where the diagram said to
    that was inside the computer. Still having the same problems even
    after doing this.

    I also removed all RAM and tried to start the computer to see what
    happened and the same exact thing happens on start-up whether the RAM
    is in or not??
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    herbiehusker wrote:
    > Thanks guys for the help.
    >
    > I don't get anything on the computer screen. No BIOS or anything. The
    > monitor says it's working fine and to check the CPU.

    What? How does the monitor 'say' this if there's nothing on the monitor????

    > And Tweek, you are right, the mobo has the 810e chipset so 512 won't
    > work. That' good to know now, thanks for that. So will putting in the
    > 512 overkill the motherboard since it can only take two 256?

    no

    > I double checked all the cables and they are all seated fine. I also
    > put the original RAM back in and it is seated fine. But still nothing
    > happens.

    reset the cmos

    > The hard drive light on the front of the CPU will light up a couple
    > times real quick before nothing else happens. Also, the light on the
    > CD drive blinks throughout the process. The weird thing is the light
    > around the power on/off switch will not come on at all, even though
    > the hard drive light does come on. The CPU does beep once before no
    > other sounds are heard at startup.

    You don't know what a CPU is, so I'll help you: the CPU is on chip that
    plugs into the motherboard. It does not beep, nor does it have lights.

    > I completely unplugged the CPU before I even took the case off. I
    > touched a lot of metal before going inside the CPU to prevent static
    > and only touched the outside wide edges of the RAM when inserting it.
    > I read on a website of how to install new RAM that that was a good way
    > to prevent static charges.
    >
    > But why won't the original RAM etc. . . work now?

    use the reset jumper to reset the cmos

    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    I am not sure what you did and did not do. You messages are
    too summarized and not full of specific details. Jumper was
    moved to reset BIOS? Then computer powered on? Then computer
    power plug removed? Then restored BIOS reset jumper to its
    original location. Did you do this?

    As spodosaurus notes, post error messages exactly - word for
    word - as they appear.

    Unplug monitor from computer. Turn monitor on. Does it do
    the same thing? Does it output exact same message?

    herbiehusker wrote:
    > ok, I'm not sure what I need to look for as far as the video card is
    > concerned. It is not a card that you can put in a PCI slot because the
    > only one in there is the modem one. I'm guessing it's something around
    > where the monitor is plugged in??
    >
    > Also, when I turn the monitor on, the light blinks. On the monitor
    > there is a screen that flashes for about a minute that says the
    > monitor is working fine so check the CPU. When I turn the computer on
    > though, the monitor light still blinks and nothing comes up on the
    > screen.
    >
    > I tried to reset the CMOS with the jumpers on the mobo. And I think I
    > did something wrong because now when I plug the computer back into the
    > wall the computer starts up without me having to hit the off/on
    > button??? I took the jumper and moved it to where the diagram said to
    > that was inside the computer. Still having the same problems even
    > after doing this.
    >
    > I also removed all RAM and tried to start the computer to see what
    > happened and the same exact thing happens on start-up whether the RAM
    > is in or not??
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > Unplug monitor from computer. Turn monitor on. Does it do
    > the same thing? Does it output exact same message?

    The monitor does the same thing whether it is plugged into the back of
    the computer tower or not. This is the exact wording of the message:

    Self Test

    Check your PC and signal cable

    Monitor is working fine.

    This message also blinks.

    > I am not sure what you did and did not do. You messages are
    > too summarized and not full of specific details. Jumper was
    > moved to reset BIOS? Then computer powered on? Then computer
    > power plug removed? Then restored BIOS reset jumper to its
    > original location. Did you do this?

    Yes, that's what I did, moved jumper, started computer up, then
    powered it down by removing power plug, then put the jumper back to
    the original location, but it was to reset the CMOS according to the
    diagram on the inside of the computer. After doing this jumper reset,
    the computer just powers itself on as soon as I plug it into the wall
    for whatever reason. That's why I have to power the computer down by
    pulling the plug, that and because nothing comes up on the screen.

    > As spodosaurus notes, post error messages exactly - word for
    > word - as they appear.

    I don't get any error messages because the computer doesn't do
    anything after the first beep. It's just on and running with nothing
    happening.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    herbiehusker wrote:
    > ok, I'm not sure what I need to look for as far as the video card is
    > concerned. It is not a card that you can put in a PCI slot because the
    > only one in there is the modem one. I'm guessing it's something around
    > where the monitor is plugged in??

    The monitor plugs into the video card. If the monitor plugs into the
    motherboard, that means it has what is known as onboard video and you
    can't really unseat it :-)

    > Also, when I turn the monitor on, the light blinks. On the monitor
    > there is a screen that flashes for about a minute that says the
    > monitor is working fine so check the CPU.

    What EXACTLY, word for word, does the message say?

    > When I turn the computer on
    > though, the monitor light still blinks and nothing comes up on the
    > screen.
    >
    > I tried to reset the CMOS with the jumpers on the mobo. And I think I
    > did something wrong because now when I plug the computer back into the
    > wall the computer starts up without me having to hit the off/on
    > button??? I took the jumper and moved it to where the diagram said to
    > that was inside the computer. Still having the same problems even
    > after doing this.

    Did you move the jumper, power on, power off, and put the jumper back to
    where it was originally?

    > I also removed all RAM and tried to start the computer to see what
    > happened and the same exact thing happens on start-up whether the RAM
    > is in or not??

    There should be beeping, something is really not right. What processor
    is in your computer? Did you jar the heatsink or otherwise mess with
    either the heatsink or the socket that the processor is in?

    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Monitor displays a message that says no signal from video
    card. Just another symptom that suggest something is wrong on
    motherboard; that CPU is not telling video controller what to
    do.

    Motherboard has connections that can start a 'power on' when
    connector receives signal. For example, if phone rings, then
    signal from modem causes computer to turn on. Normally, the
    BIOS disables (ignores) this signal. However, now that you
    have reset CMOS, the default state may be 'power up on
    signal'.

    If nothing is connected to that connection, then noise (ie
    radio waves) could trigger a response. That noise might be
    'heard' by the BIOS. BIOS (due to enabled CMOS setting) then
    turns on computer.

    Definitions: BIOS is the program that CPU first executes on
    power up. CMOS are BIOS options stored in non-volatile
    memory. Jumper setting reset CMOS so that BIOS will execute a
    default set of options.

    Don't worry about this unexpected 'power on'. More worry
    that you cannot get BIOS to finish its tasks and to load the
    Operating System. Once we solve the original problem, then
    later we can solve this unexpected 'power up' problem by
    simply disabling BIOS option.

    Currently you have one beep - then nothing. What happens
    when all RAM is removed? Does the CPU get so far so to detect
    missing RAM - and output a multiple beep error code? If not,
    then disconnect those other devices and test again. If still
    no multiple error code, then remove everything except speaker,
    CPU, and power supply. If still no multiple beeps (that says
    RAM is missing), then a short list of possible defective
    hardware is known. Time to start looking for a 3.5 digit
    multimeter. Sears Hardware is selling a stocking stuffer for
    less than $20.

    herbiehusker wrote:
    >> Unplug monitor from computer. Turn monitor on. Does it do
    >> the same thing? Does it output exact same message?
    >
    > The monitor does the same thing whether it is plugged into the back of
    > the computer tower or not. This is the exact wording of the message:
    >
    > Self Test
    >
    > Check your PC and signal cable
    >
    > Monitor is working fine.
    >
    > This message also blinks.
    >
    >> I am not sure what you did and did not do. You messages are
    >> too summarized and not full of specific details. Jumper was
    >> moved to reset BIOS? Then computer powered on? Then computer
    >> power plug removed? Then restored BIOS reset jumper to its
    >> original location. Did you do this?
    >
    > Yes, that's what I did, moved jumper, started computer up, then
    > powered it down by removing power plug, then put the jumper back to
    > the original location, but it was to reset the CMOS according to the
    > diagram on the inside of the computer. After doing this jumper reset,
    > the computer just powers itself on as soon as I plug it into the wall
    > for whatever reason. That's why I have to power the computer down by
    > pulling the plug, that and because nothing comes up on the screen.
    >
    >> As spodosaurus notes, post error messages exactly - word for
    >> word - as they appear.
    >
    > I don't get any error messages because the computer doesn't do
    > anything after the first beep. It's just on and running with nothing
    > happening.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:45:48 GMT, Al Smith <invalid@address.com> wrote:

    >> A lot of socket 370 Celeron machines were built with motherboards that use
    >> the Intel 810e chipset. If that is the case, the maximum amount of ram the
    >> board will take is two 256mb low density modules. Each module needs to have
    >> sixteen chips on it, eight on each side. That may be your problem.
    >
    >But it doesn't explain why the problem's still there when this
    >person puts the 128 meg stick of RAM back in.

    If he thinks unplugging the PS is unplugging the CPU.....
    He probably didn't notice that the ram is keyed to go in the slot only one way....

    ~~~~~~
    Bait for spammers:
    root@localhost
    postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost
    abuse@localhost
    postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    uce@ftc.gov
    ~~~~~~
    Remove "spamless" to email me.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > Overlordwrote:
    If he thinks unplugging the PS is unplugging the CPU.....
    > He probably didn't notice that the ram is keyed to go in the slot
    only one way....

    WOW!!! Let's give it up for the POST OF THE YEAR! Can we give this
    guy a trophy or something? Screw that, let's just give him the
    Lombardi Trophy. Maybe I'll mention your name to Bill Gates and he can
    hire you. Did you notice the sarcasm there . . . :roll:

    Thanks to those who have actually read my posts and helped me with
    intelligent ideas. Overbore, I mean, overlord, obviously can't read
    that I am able to get the RAM seated properly, therefore I DID notice
    how to put the RAM in.

    I know what a CPU is. I was trying to make it simple. Usually the more
    in depth you go, people don't understand. And when you hear
    commercials for the Intel or AMD chips, you don't hear them refer to
    them as CPU's do you? No, you don't. They are referred to as
    processors.

    Anyway, I'm still trying to get more than one beep from the
    motherboard and will post again when I'm at my last straw. Thanks to
    everyone . . . . except overlord.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On 28 Nov 2004 16:13:12 -0500, husker_pimpin@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (herbiehusker) wrote:

    >> Overlordwrote:
    >If he thinks unplugging the PS is unplugging the CPU.....
    >> He probably didn't notice that the ram is keyed to go in the slot
    >only one way....
    >>

    >WOW!!! Let's give it up for the POST OF THE YEAR! Can we give this
    >guy a trophy or something? Screw that, let's just give him the
    >Lombardi Trophy. Maybe I'll mention your name to Bill Gates and he can
    >hire you. Did you notice the sarcasm there . . . :roll:
    >
    >Thanks to those who have actually read my posts and helped me with
    >intelligent ideas. Overbore, I mean, overlord, obviously can't read
    >that I am able to get the RAM seated properly, therefore I DID notice
    >how to put the RAM in.
    >
    >I know what a CPU is. I was trying to make it simple. Usually the more
    >in depth you go, people don't understand. And when you hear
    >commercials for the Intel or AMD chips, you don't hear them refer to
    >them as CPU's do you? No, you don't. They are referred to as
    >processors.

    CPU , Central Processing Unit , or as you have it, processor.
    Your having claimed there were lights on the CPU,
    your having claimed you "unplugged the CPU" before pulling the ram,
    and several other comments indicates you don't know what a CPU is.
    The CPU will easily fit in your shirt pocket. The case won't.

    Hopefully you didn't clear the CMOS with the system power up.
    Put the jumper for clearing the cmos so it is only mounted on one of
    the pins or even better, remove it entirely.

    If it doesn't POST with it removed, try shorting the pins on the MB directly
    with a small screwdriver (very temporarily) for pins that power up and the
    pins that reset the system. I've had switches on cases go out before.
    I've also had systems that wouldn't power up without the reset.
    If that doesn't work, I'd go with the old standby of gutting the case and trying
    to POST the system with motherboard, PS, CPU, heat sink, 1 stick of ram,
    monitor, and an old known good PCI video card, on a foam block outside of the case.
    I trust you've tried your old RAM in several different slots, assuming you have
    more than one slot?

    The possible causes are many; toasted EEPROM, bad power supply, popped
    MB caps around the CPU, cracked 6 layer motherboard from reseating cards/
    ram, static discharge to components, motherboard shorting to the case, etc.

    Make sure your CPU fan on top of the heatsink is connected to the fan power
    connector on the motherboard. Many motherboards will not even POST if they
    don't detect current draw for the CPU fan.

    Many times the best way to troubleshoot is to swap parts to another system
    to see if they run at all; CPU, RAM, power supply, video card.
    Don't even connect power or signal cables to the hard drives as they could be
    causing a problem.

    >Anyway, I'm still trying to get more than one beep from the
    >motherboard and will post again when I'm at my last straw. Thanks to
    >everyone . . . . except overlord.

    If simple worked, you wouldn't be in here asking questions.
    ~~~~~~
    Bait for spammers:
    root@localhost
    postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost
    abuse@localhost
    postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    uce@ftc.gov
    ~~~~~~
    Remove "spamless" to email me.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    herbiehusker wrote:

    > I know what a CPU is. I was trying to make it simple. Usually the more
    > in depth you go, people don't understand.

    That's a completely backasswards way to do that on a newsgroup when
    asking for technical help. We need those details, and you need to use
    terms properly. Otherwise nothing gets done correctly.

    > And when you hear
    > commercials for the Intel or AMD chips, you don't hear them refer to
    > them as CPU's do you? No, you don't. They are referred to as
    > processors.

    People here are a bit more advanced than the mouth breathing general
    public. You still haven't caught on to that, and you still haven't
    figured out how to properly post followup messages to newsgroups so that
    they form a continuous or branching thread. So, everlord was expressing
    some of the frustration that all of us are feeling with you. Don't hold
    it against him, after a while someone was going to snap. Details are
    extremely important here.

    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

Homebuilt RAM CPUs Computer Systems