large drive and gigabyte mobo

Hi,

I have a Gigabyte mobo and would like to replace the hard drive with a
Wester Digital drive (see below). Since this drive is a 200Gb drive with an
8Mb buffer. Does anyone know if the mobo or bios will handle a drive this
large. The current drive I'm using with that board is a WD-800JB. Any
assistance is much appreciated.

Mainboard
-----------
GA-8SG800
SIS 648 chipset
Socket 478
ATA133

Drive
------
WD-2000JB (200Gb drive with 8Mb buffer)

Regards,

Michael

"who" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Gigabyte mobo and would like to replace the hard drive with a
> Wester Digital drive (see below). Since this drive is a 200Gb drive with
> an
> 8Mb buffer. Does anyone know if the mobo or bios will handle a drive this
> large. The current drive I'm using with that board is a WD-800JB. Any
> assistance is much appreciated.
>
> Mainboard
> -----------
> GA-8SG800
> SIS 648 chipset
> Socket 478
> ATA133
>
> Drive
> ------
> WD-2000JB (200Gb drive with 8Mb buffer)
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael

That's a relatively recent board, so you probably won't have a problem with
it. At worst, you might need to update the bios of your mainboard. But I
doubt that will be necessary. -Dave

Thanks for that Dave, I appreciate it.

Regards,

Michael

> That's a relatively recent board, so you probably won't have a problem
with
> it. At worst, you might need to update the bios of your mainboard. But I
> doubt that will be necessary. -Dave

SilverFox

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004

who wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Gigabyte mobo and would like to replace the hard drive with a
> Wester Digital drive (see below). Since this drive is a 200Gb drive with an
> 8Mb buffer. Does anyone know if the mobo or bios will handle a drive this
> large. The current drive I'm using with that board is a WD-800JB. Any
> assistance is much appreciated.
>
> Mainboard
> -----------
> GA-8SG800
> SIS 648 chipset
> Socket 478
> ATA133
>
> Drive
> ------
> WD-2000JB (200Gb drive with 8Mb buffer)
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael

Hi Michael
(if it doesn't)
Buy a SATA controller card
which you can pick up quite cheap

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kc.asp?bn=10204

This would solve the Bios limitation and provide you with full
performance

Hi all,

Thanks for you replies. I've contacted Gigabyte Tech Service and they have
confirmed that the board below (I've added the revision and bios version for
convenience) can handle this drive.

Mainboard
-----------
GA-8SG800 Revision1.1
SIS 648 chipset
Socket 478
ATA133
Bios version F5

Drive
------
WD-2000JB (200Gb drive with 8Mb buffer)

I'll be installing the drive tomorrow, so I'll personally confirm it when I
log back online.

Regards,

Michael

Ok, the bios is fine and displays the correct size. However, W98 SE fdisk
(18/05/2000, the version that apparently calculates disk sizes larger than
64 GB correctly) does not. That version of fdisk calculated my WD800JB drive
correctly, but not the WD2000JB (200GB) drive. More later...

Regards,

Michael

who wrote:
> Ok, the bios is fine and displays the correct size. However, W98 SE fdisk
> (18/05/2000, the version that apparently calculates disk sizes larger than
> 64 GB correctly) does not. That version of fdisk calculated my WD800JB drive
> correctly, but not the WD2000JB (200GB) drive. More later...
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael

That's because you passed another hard drive boundary with the 200 gig. The
137 gig limit.

Thanks David, I just read up this a few minutes ago. Anyway, Western Digital
have the the data lifeguard tools to handle this problem.