Changed from P4 2.4C -> 3.2 and now LOTSA a noise - help!

I have been running my system for over a year with a P4 2.4C processor and a
genuine Intel Heatsink/Fan combo. The noise level was very low.

A few days ago, I upgraded my CPU to the P4 3.2 version (also with a retail
Intel heatsink/fan), and immediately I noticed that the "fan" noise got MUCH
louder. I decided to use the "older" 2.4C heatsink/fan on this newer P4
3.2 chip and although the noise level is a little lower now, it is still at
least 50% louder then how it used to be.

I am NOT overclocking my CPU in any way.

Can someone please give me some suggestions as yo why is this happening?
Is it because the "newer" P4 3.2 CPU needs more RPM's and therefore
"forcing" the older heatsink/fan into rotating faster and therefore causing
this extra noise?

By the way, my motherboard is an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe (not E version) and I am
not sure if it supports the CPU fan speed control.

Thanks for your help everyone!
2 answers Last reply
More about changed lotsa noise help

    just guessing because I don't know what board you have but the 3.2 chip runs
    a bit hotter and if you have a progressive fan setup on the board it will
    cause the fan to run faster to keep the chip cool.
    "M. B." <REMOVETHESPAMmystic02@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >I have been running my system for over a year with a P4 2.4C processor and
    >a genuine Intel Heatsink/Fan combo. The noise level was very low.
    >
    > A few days ago, I upgraded my CPU to the P4 3.2 version (also with a
    > retail Intel heatsink/fan), and immediately I noticed that the "fan" noise
    > got MUCH louder. I decided to use the "older" 2.4C heatsink/fan on this
    > newer P4 3.2 chip and although the noise level is a little lower now, it
    > is still at least 50% louder then how it used to be.
    >
    > I am NOT overclocking my CPU in any way.
    >
    > Can someone please give me some suggestions as yo why is this happening?
    > Is it because the "newer" P4 3.2 CPU needs more RPM's and therefore
    > "forcing" the older heatsink/fan into rotating faster and therefore
    > causing this extra noise?
    >
    > By the way, my motherboard is an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe (not E version) and I
    > am not sure if it supports the CPU fan speed control.
    >
    > Thanks for your help everyone!

    I don't know anything at all.
    I just built my first pc, but my experience may help.
    I installed an Intel heatsink/fan/P4 3.4GHz in an ABIT AA8 Duramax (the new
    775 socket)
    The fan is variable speed.
    My cpu temperature increase as much as 20 degrees celcius under load (such
    as the latest 3d games)
    The fan speeds up to counter that increase, and gets very loud at around 70
    celcius.
    I increased the intake and exhaust fans, both in rpm and number (2in/2out)
    That keeps the cpu coller, and thus the noise lower.

    Check your cpu temps and fan speeds, if you can.
    My mobo came with a Windows monitoring tool, but I can also see the idle
    speeds in the BIOS.
    Reducing the ambient temp of my case helped

    From one n00b to another.
    hth

    "M. B." <REMOVETHESPAMmystic02@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >I have been running my system for over a year with a P4 2.4C processor and
    >a genuine Intel Heatsink/Fan combo. The noise level was very low.
    >
    > A few days ago, I upgraded my CPU to the P4 3.2 version (also with a
    > retail Intel heatsink/fan), and immediately I noticed that the "fan" noise
    > got MUCH louder. I decided to use the "older" 2.4C heatsink/fan on this
    > newer P4 3.2 chip and although the noise level is a little lower now, it
    > is still at least 50% louder then how it used to be.
    >
    > I am NOT overclocking my CPU in any way.
    >
    > Can someone please give me some suggestions as yo why is this happening?
    > Is it because the "newer" P4 3.2 CPU needs more RPM's and therefore
    > "forcing" the older heatsink/fan into rotating faster and therefore
    > causing this extra noise?
    >
    > By the way, my motherboard is an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe (not E version) and I
    > am not sure if it supports the CPU fan speed control.
    >
    > Thanks for your help everyone!

Homebuilt Heatsinks Fan Systems