BIOS screen bypassed during boot up

papa

I just built a new computer consisting of a Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Plus v2.0
motherboard, 512 MB of memory, an AMD Sempron 2400+ CPU, etc.. The OS is
Windows XP Pro.

The system boots up just fine, and all of the Windows functions perform OK.
When I first power the system up, I get the motherboard splash screen.
However, the next screen I see is the Windows XP screen. The BIOS screen
never appears.

The BIOS screen is usually loaded with useful information, and I would like
to see this info. Is there some way to make the BIOS screen appear during
boot up?

In case some of you misunderstood my post, I am not talking about getting
into CMOS. That is easy. All I have to do is press the DEL key early in the
boot process. Also, my CMOS has no function listed that can enable or
disable the splash screen or the BIOS screen, and I have installed (flashed)
the most recent BIOS version.

Thank you.

It's in the BIOS alright. Usually it's called Silent Boot under Advanced
Options/Settings. Disable that and the normal BIOS screen should come up...

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> kirjoitti viestissä
> I just built a new computer consisting of a Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Plus v2.0
> motherboard, 512 MB of memory, an AMD Sempron 2400+ CPU, etc.. The OS is
> Windows XP Pro.
>
> The system boots up just fine, and all of the Windows functions perform
OK.
> When I first power the system up, I get the motherboard splash screen.
> However, the next screen I see is the Windows XP screen. The BIOS screen
> never appears.
>
> The BIOS screen is usually loaded with useful information, and I would
like
> to see this info. Is there some way to make the BIOS screen appear during
> boot up?
>
> In case some of you misunderstood my post, I am not talking about getting
> into CMOS. That is easy. All I have to do is press the DEL key early in
the
> boot process. Also, my CMOS has no function listed that can enable or
> disable the splash screen or the BIOS screen, and I have installed
(flashed)
> the most recent BIOS version.
>
> Thank you.

Try hitting the Esc key when you see the motherboard splash screen.

papa

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It's in the BIOS alright. Usually it's called Silent Boot under Advanced
> Options/Settings. Disable that and the normal BIOS screen should come
> up...
>

> --
> Tumppi
> Reply to group
> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>

> "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> kirjoitti viestissä
>> I just built a new computer consisting of a Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Plus
>> v2.0
>> motherboard, 512 MB of memory, an AMD Sempron 2400+ CPU, etc.. The OS is
>> Windows XP Pro.
>>
>> The system boots up just fine, and all of the Windows functions perform
> OK.
>> When I first power the system up, I get the motherboard splash screen.
>> However, the next screen I see is the Windows XP screen. The BIOS screen
>> never appears.
>>
>> The BIOS screen is usually loaded with useful information, and I would
> like
>> to see this info. Is there some way to make the BIOS screen appear during
>> boot up?
>>
>> In case some of you misunderstood my post, I am not talking about getting
>> into CMOS. That is easy. All I have to do is press the DEL key early in
> the
>> boot process. Also, my CMOS has no function listed that can enable or
>> disable the splash screen or the BIOS screen, and I have installed
> (flashed)
>> the most recent BIOS version.
>>
>> Thank you.

Thanks Tom.

Yes, you would think so, but I had already looked there (and all of the
other CMOS pages as well, and such a parameter (or anything remotely
resembling it) is just not there. The Advanced page lists the following:

Quick Boot. I tried both the Enabled and Disabled settings. The only
difference I can see is that when it is disabled the boot takes a little
longer, but no BIOS screen appears.

The other Advanced page items are:

1St boot device, 2nd boot device, 3rd boot device, Try another boot device,
S.M.A.R.T. Enabled, Num-Lock, Floppy Drive Swap, Floppy Drive Seek, Password
Check, Boot to OS/2, L2 Cache, System Boot Cacheable (it is enabled),
Graphic Window size, SDRAM Timing by SPD, SDRAM CAS# Latency, SDRAM Bank
Interleave, Auto Detect DIMM CLK, and Spread Spectrum.

Do you suppose I need to hit a certain keyboard key during bootup? I already
tried the TAB key, and all it does is prevent the Soyo splash screen from
appearing.

Regards.

Bass

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:46:15 GMT, "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:

>Do you suppose I need to hit a certain keyboard key during bootup? I already
>tried the TAB key, and all it does is prevent the Soyo splash screen from
>appearing.
>
>Regards.

Try pressing the pause key and see it anything shows up. You should be
able to disable that Soyo splash screen in the bios too. That might be
causing it. Or it could be just a vid card issue.

jad

On an ASUS board the splash and audible system monitor were in the
'Boot sequence' page in the bios....your referring to the POST screen
and the 'splash' of the MB manufacturer is covering it?..

I can't recall what they referred to it as, but I remember it was ill
named and made little sense.

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message

> [...]
> difference I can see is that when it is disabled the boot takes a
little
> longer, but no BIOS screen appears.
>
> The other Advanced page items are:
>
> 1St boot device, 2nd boot device, 3rd boot device, Try another boot
device,
> S.M.A.R.T. Enabled, Num-Lock, Floppy Drive Swap, Floppy Drive Seek,
Password
> Check, Boot to OS/2, L2 Cache, System Boot Cacheable (it is
enabled),
> Graphic Window size, SDRAM Timing by SPD, SDRAM CAS# Latency, SDRAM
Bank
> Interleave, Auto Detect DIMM CLK, and Spread Spectrum.
>
> Do you suppose I need to hit a certain keyboard key during bootup? I
already
> tried the TAB key, and all it does is prevent the Soyo splash screen

papa

Thanks, tried it. Causes a boot error.

"Martin G.1.0" <ghz1866@nospamplease.org.invalid> wrote in message
> Try hitting the Esc key when you see the motherboard splash screen.

go into the Advanced BIOS features CMOS Setup Menu and set the Full Screen
LOGO Show Setup option to Disabled

papa

"Bass" <fish@no.email> wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:46:15 GMT, "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:
>

>>Do you suppose I need to hit a certain keyboard key during bootup? I
>>already
>>tried the TAB key, and all it does is prevent the Soyo splash screen from
>>appearing.
>>
>>Regards.
>>

> Try pressing the pause key and see it anything shows up. You should be
> able to disable that Soyo splash screen in the bios too. That might be
> causing it. Or it could be just a vid card issue.

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, all pressing the Pause key does
is to freeze the splash screen, and there is nothing obvious in the CMOS for
disabling the splash screen. The CMOS Advanced page does not have any
mention at all of the splash screen, or anything even remotely related to
it - nor does any of the other CMOS pages. As far as the video card is
concerned, I don't see how that has anything to do with it. The monitor
displays everything there is to display already.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe the BIOS screen does appear,
but appears and disappears so fast that I don't see it. After the splash
screen appears, there are a couple of flickers (not static or anything like
that) of the screen before the Windows OS starts loading. Maybe those
flickers was the BIOS screen appearing and disappearing.

papa

Not possible. Please read my previous posts in this thread.

> go into the Advanced BIOS features CMOS Setup Menu and set the Full Screen
> LOGO Show Setup option to Disabled

papa

Hi JAD:

Sorry for my thick skull, but would you please clarify your post. I'm not
sure I understand.

"JAD" <Hrhackthespam@witchiepoo.broom> wrote in message
> On an ASUS board the splash and audible system monitor were in the
> 'Boot sequence' page in the bios....your referring to the POST screen
> and the 'splash' of the MB manufacturer is covering it?..
>
> I can't recall what they referred to it as, but I remember it was ill
> named and made little sense.
>

> "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
>>
>> "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > It's in the BIOS alright. Usually it's called Silent Boot under
>> > Options/Settings. Disable that and the normal BIOS screen should
> come
>> > up...
>> >

>> > --
>> > Tumppi
>> > Reply to group
>> > =================================================
>> > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
>> > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
>> > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>> > =================================================
>> >

>> > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> kirjoitti viestissä
> Plus
> The OS is

> perform
>> > OK.
> screen.
> screen

> would
>> > like
> appear during

> getting
> early in
>> > the
> enable or
> installed
>> > (flashed)

>> Thanks Tom.
>>
>> Yes, you would think so, but I had already looked there (and all of
> the
>> other CMOS pages as well, and such a parameter (or anything remotely
>> resembling it) is just not there. The Advanced page lists the
> following:
>>
>> Quick Boot. I tried both the Enabled and Disabled settings. The only
>> difference I can see is that when it is disabled the boot takes a
> little
>> longer, but no BIOS screen appears.
>>
>> The other Advanced page items are:
>>
>> 1St boot device, 2nd boot device, 3rd boot device, Try another boot
> device,
>> S.M.A.R.T. Enabled, Num-Lock, Floppy Drive Swap, Floppy Drive Seek,
> Password
>> Check, Boot to OS/2, L2 Cache, System Boot Cacheable (it is
> enabled),
>> Graphic Window size, SDRAM Timing by SPD, SDRAM CAS# Latency, SDRAM
> Bank
>> Interleave, Auto Detect DIMM CLK, and Spread Spectrum.
>>
>> Do you suppose I need to hit a certain keyboard key during bootup? I
> already
>> tried the TAB key, and all it does is prevent the Soyo splash screen
> from
>> appearing.
>>
>> Regards.

I just bought the same motherboard, and I am experiencing the same
problem. Did you ever figure out the solution?

I'm just reading the manual and on page 50 (section 3-2) Advanced BIOS
features, there is a "Full Screen LOGO Show". Disable that.
If enabled, it hides the BIOS screen....

--

"nkn" <kumquat@despammed-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> kirjoitti viestissä
> I just bought the same motherboard, and I am experiencing the same
> problem. Did you ever figure out the solution?

papa

My manual (Quick Start Guide) only has 33 pages, Soyo apparently has no full
users guide for the SY-KT600 Dragon Plus 2.0 motherboard (none listed at
their website and none is included on their CD), and the BIOS (I have
flashed the latest for this mobo from their website) does not have a "Full
Screen LOGO Show" option under Advanced Features or on any other BIOS screen
page. Perhaps the one you saw is for a different version.

I have concluded that the text normally seen during the early part of the
boot goes by so fast that I just don't see it. I am using a Sempron CPU (not
the fastest in the world but apparently fast enough to keep me from seeing
that text).

Anyway, it's no big deal. If I want such details, I can either take a look
in the Device Manager, click on Start/All Programs/Accessories/System
Tools/System Information, or go into the BIOS.

> I'm just reading the manual and on page 50 (section 3-2) Advanced BIOS
> features, there is a "Full Screen LOGO Show". Disable that.
> If enabled, it hides the BIOS screen....
>

> --
> Tumppi
> Reply to group
> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>

> "nkn" <kumquat@despammed-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> kirjoitti viestissä
>> I just bought the same motherboard, and I am experiencing the same
>> problem. Did you ever figure out the solution?

http://www.soyo.com.tw/downloads/selectresults.php?col2=257

4th from bottom is the manual I downloaded......

--

> My manual (Quick Start Guide) only has 33 pages, Soyo apparently has no
full
> users guide for the SY-KT600 Dragon Plus 2.0 motherboard (none listed at
> their website and none is included on their CD), and the BIOS (I have
> flashed the latest for this mobo from their website) does not have a "Full
> Screen LOGO Show" option under Advanced Features or on any other BIOS
screen
> page. Perhaps the one you saw is for a different version.
>
> I have concluded that the text normally seen during the early part of the
> boot goes by so fast that I just don't see it. I am using a Sempron CPU
(not
> the fastest in the world but apparently fast enough to keep me from seeing
> that text).
>
> Anyway, it's no big deal. If I want such details, I can either take a look
> in the Device Manager, click on Start/All Programs/Accessories/System
> Tools/System Information, or go into the BIOS.
>
> "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm just reading the manual and on page 50 (section 3-2) Advanced BIOS
> > features, there is a "Full Screen LOGO Show". Disable that.
> > If enabled, it hides the BIOS screen....
> >

> > --
> > Tumppi
> > Reply to group
> > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
> >

> > "nkn" <kumquat@despammed-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> kirjoitti viestissä
> >> I just bought the same motherboard, and I am experiencing the same
> >> problem. Did you ever figure out the solution?

papa

That's an entirely different motherboard. It is a version 1.0. Mine is a
version 2.0. Differences include a different location on the board for the
ATX power connector, different number of memory slots, etc.. So far I have
been unable to find a User's manual for the Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Plus v2.0.

> http://www.soyo.com.tw/downloads/selectresults.php?col2=257
>
> 4th from bottom is the manual I downloaded......
>

> --
> Tumppi
> Reply to group
> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>

> "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> kirjoitti viestissä
>> My manual (Quick Start Guide) only has 33 pages, Soyo apparently has no
> full
>> users guide for the SY-KT600 Dragon Plus 2.0 motherboard (none listed at
>> their website and none is included on their CD), and the BIOS (I have
>> flashed the latest for this mobo from their website) does not have a
>> "Full
>> Screen LOGO Show" option under Advanced Features or on any other BIOS
> screen
>> page. Perhaps the one you saw is for a different version.
>>
>> I have concluded that the text normally seen during the early part of the
>> boot goes by so fast that I just don't see it. I am using a Sempron CPU
> (not
>> the fastest in the world but apparently fast enough to keep me from
>> seeing
>> that text).
>>
>> Anyway, it's no big deal. If I want such details, I can either take a
>> look
>> in the Device Manager, click on Start/All Programs/Accessories/System
>> Tools/System Information, or go into the BIOS.
>>
>> "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm just reading the manual and on page 50 (section 3-2) Advanced BIOS
>> > features, there is a "Full Screen LOGO Show". Disable that.
>> > If enabled, it hides the BIOS screen....
>> >

>> > --
>> > Tumppi
>> > Reply to group
>> > =================================================
>> > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
>> > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
>> > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>> > =================================================
>> >

>> > "nkn" <kumquat@despammed-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> kirjoitti viestissä

papa

Follow up on the manual. Here is the answer I got from Soyo:

"We are very sorry for the inconvenience. We do not have a Manual for the
SY-KT600 Plus v2.0, only a Quick Start Guide.

Thank You! Have a Nice Day!

Regards,
XXXXXXXX
SOYO Technical Support Team"

I retreat...

--

> Follow up on the manual. Here is the answer I got from Soyo:
>
> "We are very sorry for the inconvenience. We do not have a Manual for the
> SY-KT600 Plus v2.0, only a Quick Start Guide.
>
> Thank You! Have a Nice Day!
>
> Regards,
> XXXXXXXX
> SOYO Technical Support Team"
>
> "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > http://www.soyo.com.tw/downloads/selectresults.php?col2=257
> >
> > 4th from bottom is the manual I downloaded......
> >

> > --
> > Tumppi
> > Reply to group
> > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
> >

> > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> kirjoitti viestissä
> >> My manual (Quick Start Guide) only has 33 pages, Soyo apparently has no
> > full
> >> users guide for the SY-KT600 Dragon Plus 2.0 motherboard (none listed
at
> >> their website and none is included on their CD), and the BIOS (I have
> >> flashed the latest for this mobo from their website) does not have a
> >> "Full
> >> Screen LOGO Show" option under Advanced Features or on any other BIOS
> > screen
> >> page. Perhaps the one you saw is for a different version.
> >>
> >> I have concluded that the text normally seen during the early part of
the
> >> boot goes by so fast that I just don't see it. I am using a Sempron CPU
> > (not
> >> the fastest in the world but apparently fast enough to keep me from
> >> seeing
> >> that text).
> >>
> >> Anyway, it's no big deal. If I want such details, I can either take a
> >> look
> >> in the Device Manager, click on Start/All Programs/Accessories/System
> >> Tools/System Information, or go into the BIOS.
> >>
> >> "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
BIOS

papa

Well, you had some very hopeful info, and it was certainly appreciated.