Help : Hotsearchbar/ Isearch Attack

My Interner Explorer 6.0 have been hijacked by the
hotsearchbar / Isearch. I have tried spyware doctor, Ad-
Aware SE and Spybot S&D but can't remove this. Someone
please help me !!!

Thanks in advance
15 answers Last reply
More about help hotsearchbar isearch attack

    George wrote:
    > My Interner Explorer 6.0 have been hijacked by the
    > hotsearchbar / Isearch. I have tried spyware doctor, Ad-
    > Aware SE and Spybot S&D but can't remove this. Someone
    > please help me !!!

    Follow these steps: http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

    You will need to do the HijackThis log at the end, but do the other steps
    first.

    --
    Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows Shell/User, Windows Security
    Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/

    Try CWShredder.

    Alias

    "George" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

    > My Interner Explorer 6.0 have been hijacked by the
    > hotsearchbar / Isearch. I have tried spyware doctor, Ad-
    > Aware SE and Spybot S&D but can't remove this. Someone
    > please help me !!!
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    CWshredder isnn't helping either !!

    What version of CWShredder? The latest is 2.13.

    Alias

    "George" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

    CWshredder isnn't helping either !!

    I have downloaded the latest one. But still the Isearch
    looks invincible. Please help me guys !!!

    "George" wrote:

    > My Interner Explorer 6.0 have been hijacked by the
    > hotsearchbar / Isearch. I have tried spyware doctor, Ad-
    > Aware SE and Spybot S&D but can't remove this. Someone
    > please help me !!!

    George,
    Your last resort if Ad-aware, SpyBot, CWShredder, etc don't work
    is 'HijackThis'.

    FAQ and download here;
    You'll need to scroll down the page to find the information.
    Make sure you install the application to a "dedicated" Programs Files
    Directory! Like this: [C:\Program Files\HijackThis]

    Post your HijackThis log here, for expert analysis.

    Good luck!

    Silj

    --
    siljaline

    MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security (AH-VSOP)
    Security Tools Updates
    http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

    (Reply to group, as return address
    is invalid - that we may all benefit)

    > "George" wrote:
    >>
    >> My Interner Explorer 6.0 have been hijacked by the
    >> hotsearchbar / Isearch. I have tried spyware doctor, Ad-
    >> Aware SE and Spybot S&D but can't remove this. Someone
    >> please help me !!!

    Another idea is to look in the folder C:\Windows\ Look for a file called
    "toolbar.dll". With IE closed, delete the file.

    I had this same problem and found that my spyware programs were not deleting
    this vital file used for the ISearch toolbar. The only spyware program that I
    have found that will correctly delete this file is Webroot's Spysweeper.

    To keep from having this problem again, I created a new text file and then
    named it "toolbar.dll" and under "Properties" made it "Read Only". At zero
    bytes, spyware programs will not recognize the "dummy" file as a threat & it
    can keep any new installation of the ISearch bar from being fully installed
    on your PC. However, you will still need to remove the registry entries when
    they appear in your spyware detections.

    ~Theta Sigma

    Good god !! Seems like the thing was finally removed
    using the Spybot....but my Windows won't start up now. It
    keeps on showing the message "updating system settings"
    forever ! I tried 'alt+ctrl+del' during that time and
    found peculiar things like "Removal Tool" "Kill" etc.
    along with the regular things in the task manager.

    Pleeeeaaase HELP me !!!

    Try booting once into Safe Mode (you may need to hold down the Ctrl key or
    tap the F8 key repeatedly to get there) and see if the computer will start
    up. If so, immediately restart it and let it start normally. Does that
    sort things out?

    "Geroge" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Good god !! Seems like the thing was finally removed
    > using the Spybot....but my Windows won't start up now. It
    > keeps on showing the message "updating system settings"
    > forever ! I tried 'alt+ctrl+del' during that time and
    > found peculiar things like "Removal Tool" "Kill" etc.
    > along with the regular things in the task manager.
    >
    > Pleeeeaaase HELP me !!!

    Before a suggestion, a question...when you last run Spybot, at the end of the
    search, did you get a message stating something to the effect of "Spybot
    could not completely remove a particular piece of Spyware. Do you wish to
    have Spybot start with Windows during your next startup?" (or something to
    that effect) If so and you selected yes, SpyBot may be causing problems with
    your startup.

    The clues are in the "Removal Tool" & "Kill" that you mentioned. When there
    is spyware running in memory during a spyware scan, these files cannot be
    unloaded while they are running with the operating system in most cases. The
    "Removal Tool" & "Kill" processes are run by SpyBot S&D before Windows
    completely loads during a reboot in order to remove these files before they
    get loaded into memory again.

    The solution to this problem...

    Reboot>
    F8 into Safe Mode at startup (before Windows begins to load)>
    Click Start>
    Click Run>
    Type MSCONFIG>
    Select the STARTUP tab>
    Uncheck anything that looks suspicious to you and/or relates to SpyBot>
    Click Apply>
    Click OK>
    Restart the PC normally>

    If you are unsure what to uncheck, copy the list of ALL of the items under
    the STARTUP tab and post them here. I can identify each one and tell what to
    leave checked or to uncheck. This may also help get rid of the ISearch bar if
    it has files that are loading with Windows. Any ISearch toolbar files that
    are in this list needs to be unchecked, found using Start->Search, and then
    deleted manually.

    If this works (which it should), you may need to also reinstall SpyBot S&D as
    it sounds like one of SB's "tools" is causing problems during reboot after
    scans.

    Hope this helps.

    ~Theta Sigma

    Alright....the computer is booting up in Safe Mode. But
    restarting it in normal mode after that (as per Richard's
    suggestion) did not work. Follwoing Theta, I looked into
    the 'Msconfig'->Startup Tab-> and nothing really looked
    suspicious ! But I will put the list of the processes
    here today/tomorrow. By the way, in the safe mode, I ran
    Spybot and Ad-Aware and the found and removed 'DSO
    Exploit' and "Isearch Reg Key' respectively. I
    uninstalled the Spybot under the safe mode and tried to
    reboot normally.....but it's still not working. This
    feels so frustrating !!

    "George" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > Alright....the computer is booting up in Safe Mode. But
    > restarting it in normal mode after that (as per Richard's
    > suggestion) did not work. Follwoing Theta, I looked into
    > the 'Msconfig'->Startup Tab-> and nothing really looked
    > suspicious ! But I will put the list of the processes
    > here today/tomorrow. By the way, in the safe mode, I ran
    > Spybot and Ad-Aware and the found and removed 'DSO
    > Exploit' and "Isearch Reg Key' respectively. I
    > uninstalled the Spybot under the safe mode and tried to
    > reboot normally.....but it's still not working. This
    > feels so frustrating !!

    I know how frustrating it can be. My PC was completely inoperative for over
    two months simply because one minor setting was unexplainably changed in my
    system BIOS. It took patience and a lot of troubleshooting to find the
    problem but everything is fine now. Just as with mine, your descriptions of
    the problem suggest that it is nothing major and you will just need to be
    patient and run through a few checks to determine the cause of the problem.

    The first thing you might try involves process of elimination. Go into Safe
    Mode-> Start-> Run-> MSCONFIG-> Startup Tab and then uncheck EVERYTHING
    except items that obviously relate to your video display, mouse, and/or
    keyboard (if applicable). Keep in mind that any firewall and/or anti-virus
    programs will now be completely disabled unless started manually, so I would
    not surf the web unguarded! With all unchecked (except as noted), reboot
    normally and if your PC now successfully loads Windows, you can try Start->
    Run-> MSCONFIG-> Startup tab and checking items one at a time and rebooting
    after each one until Windows begins to hang again at startup. This may give
    you a clue as to what may be causing the problem.

    Also, in Safe Mode you may try Start-> Control Panel-> System-> Device
    Manager and check for any hardware conflicts (as noted by a yellow
    exclamation mark). These can pop up sometimes when you least expect it and
    can be caused by a number of things (such as a corrupt/missing driver or
    corrupt/missing system file).

    If the above doesn't work, you should post the entire startup list here and
    one other thing...the boot log. Between these two, they should pinpoint where
    your problem lies.

    To have your PC create a boot log, restart and F8 but instead of Safe Mode,
    choose the Logged Boot selection. After selecting it, your PC will try to
    boot normally but due to your problem, it will probably not make into
    Windows. Before rebooting and while Windows is still attempting to load, you
    may try waiting about two minutes & then CTRL+ALT+DELETE. Take note of
    everything that is running in the list and take special note of anything that
    may say (Not Responding).

    From here, go ahead and reboot back into Safe Mode. The Boot Log should have
    been created and saved in My Computer-> C:\ If it is not there, use Start-
    >Search and search for BOOTLOG.TXT

    Post it and the startup list from MSCONFIG here. Between the two, that should
    give an indication as to what is causing the problem. In the meantime, I
    would also suggest running a full virus scan to be on the safe side.

    Try the above first. If the above checks do not work or the information you
    post here doesn't indicate the problem, we can go from there. The next steps
    after the above would involve running scanreg from Start->Run, running a full
    scandisk, possibly restoring the registry from an earlier point via Safe Mode
    or command prompt, and/or using system restore to restore to an earlier point
    when the PC was booting correctly. However, I believe that the info I asked
    you to post should indicate the problem.

    Just a side note, a DSO Exploit is virtually harmless if you have updated
    Internet Explorer in the past 9 months or so from Microsoft but I would
    remove it anyways. If you surf the web often, you can pretty much expect it
    to pop up just about every time you run SpyBot. As for the ISearch regkeys,
    it is a good thing that they were removed, but I can't see ISearch having a
    bearing on why your PC won't boot normally unless there is still an ISearch
    toolbar file that is trying to load and causing problems at startup. The
    startup list will indicate if this is the case.

    ~Theta Sigma

    "George" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > Alright....the computer is booting up in Safe Mode. But
    > restarting it in normal mode after that (as per Richard's
    > suggestion) did not work. Follwoing Theta, I looked into
    > the 'Msconfig'->Startup Tab-> and nothing really looked
    > suspicious ! But I will put the list of the processes
    > here today/tomorrow. By the way, in the safe mode, I ran
    > Spybot and Ad-Aware and the found and removed 'DSO
    > Exploit' and "Isearch Reg Key' respectively. I
    > uninstalled the Spybot under the safe mode and tried to
    > reboot normally.....but it's still not working. This
    > feels so frustrating !!

    One more quick question for you and one more suggestion...

    Seeing as how your startup problem first occured after a spyware
    scan/removal, this leads me to believe that your problem either lies in the
    startup list (as stated in my previous post) or in the registry itself. The
    registry is a very sensitive area and spyware programs, while rare, are
    capable of detecting false-positives and as a result end up deleting vital
    registry keys or values by mistake.

    Just about every spyware program that I am aware of has the ability to
    restore information that it has quarantined during detections. In Safe Mode,
    reinstall SpyBot into the exact same folder where it originally was. (SpyBot
    will not delete items in quarantine during an uninstall. The folder should
    still be there). Using SpyBot, find the quarantine option and restore the
    items from your most recent detections or from the time at which your boot
    problem began. Now reboot. Did this fix your problem? If not, do the same
    with Ad-Aware.

    If either of these fixes the problem, you are receiving a "false-positive"
    from that particular program and need to determine what is causing it. Update
    that program and then run another scan but carefully scrutinize every single
    file and/or regkey in the list. If you see one that you do not think is
    actually spyware or are not sure about an entry, uncheck it (or them) and
    delete the rest. You may also Google for any item(s) in question to give you
    a better idea.

    If you are not able to directly identify the false-positive, your boot
    problem will happen again after a scan, you may have to use process of
    elimination by scanning, deleting, and restoring one regkey or file at a time
    until you find the false-positive. When you find it, right-click and select
    "Add This Entry To The Ignore List". This could take quite a while but is
    necessary, otherwise, you will encounter this problem every time you run a
    spyware scan with that program.

    My other post in this thread will also help determine the exact problem but I
    wanted to bring this up as the problem originated here.

    ~Theta Sigma

    Heeyyy Theta.....my PC is working again !! I am so
    happy !! Tons of thanks to you and all the guys here !!!!

    I remembered one little thing that I did. Frustrated with
    Adaware and Spybot, I downloaded one little tool to
    remove Isearch from the Isaerch website a few days back.
    My goodness, that tool itself was a malware. It kept
    running two programs, "Removal Tool" and "Kill" on
    startup. Hijackthis finally found those out under the
    safe mode. The things were marked with options
    like "NOCANCEL" and "NORESTART" which made them
    impossible to kill at the startup using the task manager.

    Long live Hijackthis ! Long live anti-spyware well
    wishers!

    > Heeyyy Theta.....my PC is working again !! I am so
    > happy !! Tons of thanks to you and all the guys here !!!!
    >
    > I remembered one little thing that I did. Frustrated with
    > Adaware and Spybot, I downloaded one little tool to
    > remove Isearch from the Isaerch website a few days back.
    > My goodness, that tool itself was a malware. It kept
    > running two programs, "Removal Tool" and "Kill" on
    > startup. Hijackthis finally found those out under the
    > safe mode. The things were marked with options
    > like "NOCANCEL" and "NORESTART" which made them
    > impossible to kill at the startup using the task manager.
    >
    > Long live Hijackthis ! Long live anti-spyware well
    > wishers!

    Glad to hear it George :-)

    Be sure to work towards removing all of the entries in the registry for both
    the spyware and the malware itself. From multiple personal experiences,
    Webroot's Spysweeper seems to be much more effective at dealing with Isearch
    than either AdAware or SpyBot. The trial version is available at
    http://www.webroot.com

    It's a trial (no updates) but after using it the first time, all traces of
    Isearch & the Isearch malware should be completely eliminated (along with
    many other spyware traces that AdAware & SpyBot will not detect).

    Also, my personal preference for web browsers is Mozilla's Firefox. It is
    fully customizable (via customizable plugins), more options, security, and
    faster than Internet Explorer, built in popup blocker, built in ad-blocker,
    and is virtually immune to spyware/adware. If you'd like to give it a try:
    http://www.mozilla.org

    ~Theta Sigma

Microsoft Explorer Windows