DSL modem sharing

I have got wireless network (2 PC running XP Home sp2) using router/AP. One
PC is connected to the Internet directly via DSL ethernet modem
(non-wireless). How do I go about sharing this modem so that other PC can
connect to the WEB. File and Printer sharing is working fine on the network.

Thank you,

In article <B25A4684-EC1A-4471-B516-C061F18EF154@microsoft.com>,
Sergio <inunison@xbox.com> wrote:
>I have got wireless network (2 PC running XP Home sp2) using router/AP. One
>PC is connected to the Internet directly via DSL ethernet modem
>(non-wireless). How do I go about sharing this modem so that other PC can
>connect to the WEB. File and Printer sharing is working fine on the network.
>
>Thank you,

1. Disconnect the DSL modem from the PC.

2. Connect the DSL modem to the WAN (Internet) port of the router/AP.

3. Connect the PC to a LAN port of the router/AP.

4. Using the PC, connect to the built-in web server of the router/AP
and configure it to access your DSL connection. For example, if your
DSL connection uses PPPoE, configure it with your login user name and
password. The user manual for your router/AP should have details.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Thank you Steve.
Do I still have to have wireless adaptor connected to PC that has router/dsl
attached?

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" wrote:

> In article <B25A4684-EC1A-4471-B516-C061F18EF154@microsoft.com>,
> Sergio <inunison@xbox.com> wrote:
> >I have got wireless network (2 PC running XP Home sp2) using router/AP. One
> >PC is connected to the Internet directly via DSL ethernet modem
> >(non-wireless). How do I go about sharing this modem so that other PC can
> >connect to the WEB. File and Printer sharing is working fine on the network.
> >
> >Thank you,
>
> 1. Disconnect the DSL modem from the PC.
>
> 2. Connect the DSL modem to the WAN (Internet) port of the router/AP.
>
> 3. Connect the PC to a LAN port of the router/AP.
>
> 4. Using the PC, connect to the built-in web server of the router/AP
> and configure it to access your DSL connection. For example, if your
> DSL connection uses PPPoE, configure it with your login user name and
> password. The user manual for your router/AP should have details.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

Get a router/firewall designed to do this is the easiest way.

"Sergio" <inunison@xbox.com> wrote in message
> I have got wireless network (2 PC running XP Home sp2) using router/AP.
One
> PC is connected to the Internet directly via DSL ethernet modem
> (non-wireless). How do I go about sharing this modem so that other PC can
> connect to the WEB. File and Printer sharing is working fine on the
network.

> Thank you,

But how?

In article <0C75135A-CDCE-44AC-934B-A956CDD449BD@microsoft.com>,
Sergio <inunison@xbox.com> wrote:
>> >I have got wireless network (2 PC running XP Home sp2) using router/AP. One
>> >PC is connected to the Internet directly via DSL ethernet modem
>> >(non-wireless). How do I go about sharing this modem so that other PC can
>> >connect to the WEB. File and Printer sharing is working fine on the network.
>> >
>> >Thank you,
>>
>> 1. Disconnect the DSL modem from the PC.
>>
>> 2. Connect the DSL modem to the WAN (Internet) port of the router/AP.
>>
>> 3. Connect the PC to a LAN port of the router/AP.
>>
>> 4. Using the PC, connect to the built-in web server of the router/AP
>> and configure it to access your DSL connection. For example, if your
>> DSL connection uses PPPoE, configure it with your login user name and
>> password. The user manual for your router/AP should have details.
>
>Thank you Steve.
>Do I still have to have wireless adaptor connected to PC that has router/dsl
>attached?

You're welcome, Sergio. I don't know the details of your current
setup, so I'm having to guess a bit here.

If I understand your question, you currently have an Ad-hoc wireless
network between the two computers, and the first PC has both a wired
and a wireless connection.

If that's right, the first PC won't need a wireless connection any
more, because the second PC will communicate wirelessly with the
router/AP. Configure the second PC's wireless connection in
Infrastructure mode.

If that's not right, please reply to my message in the news group with
a complete description of how your current network is set up, and give
the make and model number of your modem/router.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Both PCs access wireless router in Infrastructure mode. DSL modem is
connected to one PC via ethernet cable. I did understand your answer but
still don't know if I need to keep wireless connection to the router from the
PC
(after your point 3 is completed).
In other words, if I understud you correctly, after I follow your
instruction one PC will be connected wirelessly to the router and other using
ethernet cable. Is that right?
Router is wireless Belkin Pre-N

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" wrote:

> >> 1. Disconnect the DSL modem from the PC.
> >>
> >> 2. Connect the DSL modem to the WAN (Internet) port of the router/AP.
> >>
> >> 3. Connect the PC to a LAN port of the router/AP.
> >>
> >> 4. Using the PC, connect to the built-in web server of the router/AP
> >> and configure it to access your DSL connection. For example, if your
> >> DSL connection uses PPPoE, configure it with your login user name and
> >> password. The user manual for your router/AP should have details.
> >
> >Thank you Steve.
> >Do I still have to have wireless adaptor connected to PC that has router/dsl
> >attached?
>
> You're welcome, Sergio. I don't know the details of your current
> setup, so I'm having to guess a bit here.
>
> If I understand your question, you currently have an Ad-hoc wireless
> network between the two computers, and the first PC has both a wired
> and a wireless connection.
>
> If that's right, the first PC won't need a wireless connection any
> more, because the second PC will communicate wirelessly with the
> router/AP. Configure the second PC's wireless connection in
> Infrastructure mode.
>
> If that's not right, please reply to my message in the news group with
> a complete description of how your current network is set up, and give
> the make and model number of your modem/router.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Hi
Yes you do it connects the PC to the Router.
The whole thing should look like this: http://www.ezlan.net/netwrok/router.jpg
Jack (MVP-Networking).

> Thank you Steve.
> Do I still have to have wireless adaptor connected to PC that has router/dsl
> attached?
>
> "Steve Winograd [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > In article <B25A4684-EC1A-4471-B516-C061F18EF154@microsoft.com>,
> > Sergio <inunison@xbox.com> wrote:
> > >I have got wireless network (2 PC running XP Home sp2) using router/AP. One
> > >PC is connected to the Internet directly via DSL ethernet modem
> > >(non-wireless). How do I go about sharing this modem so that other PC can
> > >connect to the WEB. File and Printer sharing is working fine on the network.
> > >
> > >Thank you,
> >
> > 1. Disconnect the DSL modem from the PC.
> >
> > 2. Connect the DSL modem to the WAN (Internet) port of the router/AP.
> >
> > 3. Connect the PC to a LAN port of the router/AP.
> >
> > 4. Using the PC, connect to the built-in web server of the router/AP
> > and configure it to access your DSL connection. For example, if your
> > DSL connection uses PPPoE, configure it with your login user name and
> > password. The user manual for your router/AP should have details.
> > --
> > Best Wishes,
> > Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)
> >
> > Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
> > for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
> > addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.
> >
> > Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

So if I understud properly PC has to have both wireless adaptor and LAN link
to the router?

In article <5B5250D7-4686-431C-B286-F91360F51C0F@microsoft.com>,

>> >Thank you Steve.
>
>> >Do I still have to have wireless adaptor connected to PC that has router/dsl
>> >attached?
>>
>> You're welcome, Sergio. I don't know the details of your current
>> setup, so I'm having to guess a bit here.
>>
>> If I understand your question, you currently have an Ad-hoc wireless
>> network between the two computers, and the first PC has both a wired
>> and a wireless connection.
>>
>> If that's right, the first PC won't need a wireless connection any
>> more, because the second PC will communicate wirelessly with the
>> router/AP. Configure the second PC's wireless connection in
>> Infrastructure mode.
>>
>> If that's not right, please reply to my message in the news group with
>> a complete description of how your current network is set up, and give
>> the make and model number of your modem/router.
>
>Both PCs access wireless router in Infrastructure mode. DSL modem is
>connected to one PC via ethernet cable. I did understand your answer but
>still don't know if I need to keep wireless connection to the router from the
>PC
>(after your point 3 is completed).
>In other words, if I understud you correctly, after I follow your
>instruction one PC will be connected wirelessly to the router and other using
>ethernet cable. Is that right?

Yes, that's right.

After following point 3, the first PC will connect to the router using
a wired connection, so that PC won't need a wireless connection. The
second PC will connect to the router using a wireless connection.

>Router is wireless Belkin Pre-N
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

lem

Steve Winograd [MVP] wrote:

>>>You're welcome, Sergio. I don't know the details of your current
>>>setup, so I'm having to guess a bit here.
>>>
>>>If I understand your question, you currently have an Ad-hoc wireless
>>>network between the two computers, and the first PC has both a wired
>>>and a wireless connection.
>>>
>>>If that's right, the first PC won't need a wireless connection any
>>>more, because the second PC will communicate wirelessly with the
>>>router/AP. Configure the second PC's wireless connection in
>>>Infrastructure mode.
>>>
>>>If that's not right, please reply to my message in the news group with
>>>a complete description of how your current network is set up, and give
>>>the make and model number of your modem/router.
>>
>>Both PCs access wireless router in Infrastructure mode. DSL modem is
>>connected to one PC via ethernet cable. I did understand your answer but
>>still don't know if I need to keep wireless connection to the router from the
>>PC
>>(after your point 3 is completed).
>>In other words, if I understud you correctly, after I follow your
>>instruction one PC will be connected wirelessly to the router and other using
>>ethernet cable. Is that right?
>

> Yes, that's right.
>
> After following point 3, the first PC will connect to the router using
> a wired connection, so that PC won't need a wireless connection. The
> second PC will connect to the router using a wireless connection.
>

>>Router is wireless Belkin Pre-N
Of course, once you have the router properly configured using the PC
connected to it with the ethernet cable, you can disconnect the cable
and use connect that PC wirelessly as well. You only need to have a
wired connection to the router in order to configure it (at least this
arrangement is strongly recommended).