INCOMPATIBILITY WITH 64-BIT VERSIONS

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Notebooks
  • Toshiba
Last response: in Windows 7
March 3, 2011 5:57:53 PM

Hello,
I have Toshiba Notebook with Windows 7 OS. While running some programs it gives Unsupported 16-bit application dialog box with an error as : cannot start or run due to incompability with 64-bit versions

More about : incompatibility bit versions

a b $ Windows 7
March 3, 2011 6:27:23 PM

16-Bit Windows apps are not supported under Win7 x64 unless you install XP Mode.

If this is a dos based app, try using dosbox or virtualbox+msdos.
m
l
March 13, 2011 3:37:38 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I tried installing XP Mode but doesn't work may be because I have Windows 7 Home edition. Somewhere I found that XP mode can be installed only in case of WINDOW 7 Professional edition or Ulitimate.

Can I Install Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate without formatting HardDisk on Windows 7 Home Premium directly.

If that is so then probably XP Mode will be fine to install.

Once again thank you.
m
l
Related resources
March 16, 2011 2:06:04 AM

I have home premium and have found most work. Make sure to install in the c > program files, not c > program files (x86). "Frogger" would not run in XP mode until I uninstalled c > program files (x86) and reinstalled into c > program files. Worked like a charm after that.
Good Luck
m
l
March 16, 2011 7:20:07 PM

drpandya said:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I tried installing XP Mode but doesn't work may be because I have Windows 7 Home edition. Somewhere I found that XP mode can be installed only in case of WINDOW 7 Professional edition or Ulitimate.

Can I Install Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate without formatting HardDisk on Windows 7 Home Premium directly.

If that is so then probably XP Mode will be fine to install.

Once again thank you.

You are correct, Starter and Home Premium do not have XP Mode. Have you tried running it in Win95/98 Compatibility mode?
m
l
March 17, 2011 10:43:33 PM

I'm running Home Premium and can run in XP Mode. I can access it either through right clicking the games exe and choosing properties, or troubleshoot compatibility.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 18, 2011 12:19:33 AM

^^^

That's Win XP compatibility.

XP Mode is a separate program that allows you to run 16-bit application. XP Mode is meant for business related programs and it does not support any type of video acceleration. Meaning you cannot play games using XP Mode.
m
l
March 18, 2011 4:50:02 AM

Ahhh, Ty for clearing that up.
m
l