Do Large HDD's Make More Heat ?

Do larger hard drives generate noticeably more heat than smaller drives?
I'm building a Shuttle-type mini computer and can go with a relatively small
HDD if that is the case.

- Magnusfarce

BTW, in W2k, is there a way to put additional HDD's on separate (their
own)energy saver schedules? I'd like to leave the extra drives off if not
in use.

"Magnusfarce" <magnusfarce@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Do larger hard drives generate noticeably more heat than smaller drives?
> I'm building a Shuttle-type mini computer and can go with a relatively
> small
> HDD if that is the case.
>
> - Magnusfarce
>
> BTW, in W2k, is there a way to put additional HDD's on separate (their
> own)energy saver schedules? I'd like to leave the extra drives off if not
> in use.

I believe it has more to do with the speed (RPM's) of the drive that may
produce more heat.

OK, then, would a larger drive spinning at the same rate as a smaller drive
generate more heat?

- Magnusfarce

"Magnusfarce" <magnusfarce@adelphia.net> skrev i melding
> OK, then, would a larger drive spinning at the same rate as a smaller
drive
> generate more heat?

Probably not.

"Magnusfarce" <magnusfarce@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Do larger hard drives generate noticeably more heat than smaller drives?
> I'm building a Shuttle-type mini computer and can go with a relatively
small
> HDD if that is the case.
>
> - Magnusfarce
>
> BTW, in W2k, is there a way to put additional HDD's on separate (their
> own)energy saver schedules? I'd like to leave the extra drives off if not
> in use.

More RPMs cause more heat because the motor and control electronics work
harder. More platters cause more heat for the same reason. Luckily the areal
density of drives is increasing steadily and this means that high RPMs and
multiple platters are becoming less important in the quick delivery of
masses of data. BTW, Shuttle uses fairly solid aluminum for their drive
mounting cage and this makes for a relatively efficient removal of drive
heat. If one could manage to apply just a bit of heatsink compound between
the drive case and the mounting cage it would be that much better (but,
damn, it would probably be messy to accomplish!).
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

In article <GaSdnUNwNZePezrcRVn-vQ@adelphia.com>, Magnusfarce says...
> OK, then, would a larger drive spinning at the same rate as a smaller drive
> generate more heat?

No plus the fact it has a larger surface area to dissipate it over so
would cool quicker.

--
Conor

Greedo shot first. Greedo ALWAYS shot first. You did not see Solo shoot
first.
It never happened. Never, ever. Not in any version. Remember: Greedo
shot first.

BTW: No.

--
DaveW