Dual Boot

I have an 80GB Hard drive, divided into C with 2GB and D with 40GB, while
the remaining 38GB are hidden.
WinME is installed on C and all the other things on D.
My future intentions are to install WinXP on D and have dual boot with the
help of PM8's Boot Magic.
Is that workable?

Harry.
8 answers Last reply
More about dual boot

    webster72n wrote:
    > I have an 80GB Hard drive, divided into C with 2GB and D with 40GB, while
    > the remaining 38GB are hidden.
    > WinME is installed on C and all the other things on D.
    > My future intentions are to install WinXP on D and have dual boot with the
    > help of PM8's Boot Magic.
    > Is that workable?
    >
    > Harry.

    Harry,

    The following article may assist you regarding a dual boot with XP:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/multiboot.mspx

    Tom

    Very good, Tom.
    Printed the entire article and will study it thoroughly.
    Thank you very much.

    Harry.

    webster72n wrote:
    > Very good, Tom.
    > Printed the entire article and will study it thoroughly.
    > Thank you very much.
    >
    > Harry.

    You're welcome. If you haven't seen them, there are a couple of
    articles referenced in the "Related Links" section that may also be useful.

    I've seen and will look into them, Tom.
    Thanks.

    "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

    >I have an 80GB Hard drive, divided into C with 2GB and D with 40GB, while
    >the remaining 38GB are hidden.
    >WinME is installed on C and all the other things on D.
    >My future intentions are to install WinXP on D and have dual boot with the
    >help of PM8's Boot Magic.
    >Is that workable?
    >
    > Harry.

    If you are installing Boot Magic then that is all you have to be
    concerned with. Boot Magic will do the job for you quickly and
    reliably.

    Just follow the instructions for installing and configuring Boot
    Magic. You do not need to make any other changes, especially not to
    the BOOT.INI file for Windows XP.

    One thing I particularly like about Boot Magic is that it can be
    configures so that the non-booting operating system partitions are
    always hidden. That way you get a consistent drive letter for the
    operating system partition (e.g. always drive C:) regardless of which
    O/S you choose to boot from. It also prevents cross-contamination by
    accidently copying files to or deleting them from the \Windows folder
    in the wrong partition.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron:

    I am just a little bit lost here, when it comes to installing WinXP. I
    already did install BootMagic, but how does it do the installation of WinXP?
    I was under the impression it handles the booting process only. If there is
    a connection,
    I'd surely prefer being prepared for it.
    Don't forget, Ron, I am not an expert and the scope of my knowledge is
    somewhat limited.
    Thank you for your input.

    Harry.

    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
    >
    > >I have an 80GB Hard drive, divided into C with 2GB and D with 40GB, while
    > >the remaining 38GB are hidden.
    > >WinME is installed on C and all the other things on D.
    > >My future intentions are to install WinXP on D and have dual boot with
    the
    > >help of PM8's Boot Magic.
    > >Is that workable?
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > If you are installing Boot Magic then that is all you have to be
    > concerned with. Boot Magic will do the job for you quickly and
    > reliably.
    >
    > Just follow the instructions for installing and configuring Boot
    > Magic. You do not need to make any other changes, especially not to
    > the BOOT.INI file for Windows XP.
    >
    > One thing I particularly like about Boot Magic is that it can be
    > configures so that the non-booting operating system partitions are
    > always hidden. That way you get a consistent drive letter for the
    > operating system partition (e.g. always drive C:) regardless of which
    > O/S you choose to boot from. It also prevents cross-contamination by
    > accidently copying files to or deleting them from the \Windows folder
    > in the wrong partition.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

    >Ron:
    >
    >I am just a little bit lost here, when it comes to installing WinXP. I
    >already did install BootMagic, but how does it do the installation of WinXP?
    >I was under the impression it handles the booting process only. If there is
    >a connection,
    >I'd surely prefer being prepared for it.
    >Don't forget, Ron, I am not an expert and the scope of my knowledge is
    >somewhat limited.
    >Thank you for your input.
    >
    > Harry.

    Boot your computer and tell BootMagic to boot from the 40 gb D:
    partition.

    It will, of course, fail to boot. But that partition will now be
    configured as the primary boot. Insert your Windows XP install CD
    and then press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to reboot the computer.

    If your computer's BIOS boot selection sequence is properly configured
    (either diskette first, CDROM second, Hard drive third; or CDROM
    first, diskette second, Hard Drive third) then the computer will boot
    from the XP install CD and will install on the selected partition (D:)

    p.s. My personal opinion is that all boot managers, including Boot
    Magic, should be configured so that the non-booting operating system
    partitions are always automatically hidden, which means that whichever
    operating system is booted that partition will always be C:

    This makes it much easer to avoid cross-contamination of the operating
    system files as it is impossible to put something into C:\Windows
    which needs to be in D:\Windows (or vice versa) and likewise with
    deletions.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    Ron:

    You have been extremely helpful in explaining the entire situation and I am
    'getting the picture'.
    Before I can do anything, I will have to back up my whole system, or at
    least the things I would like to keep.
    At the moment I am not ready for it, but fully prepared
    to go ahead at any time in the future.
    Thank you so very much.

    Harry.

    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
    >

    > >Ron:
    > >
    > >I am just a little bit lost here, when it comes to installing WinXP. I
    > >already did install BootMagic, but how does it do the installation of
    WinXP?
    > >I was under the impression it handles the booting process only. If there
    is
    > >a connection,
    > >I'd surely prefer being prepared for it.
    > >Don't forget, Ron, I am not an expert and the scope of my knowledge is
    > >somewhat limited.
    > >Thank you for your input.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    >
    > Boot your computer and tell BootMagic to boot from the 40 gb D:
    > partition.
    >
    > It will, of course, fail to boot. But that partition will now be
    > configured as the primary boot. Insert your Windows XP install CD
    > and then press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to reboot the computer.
    >
    > If your computer's BIOS boot selection sequence is properly configured
    > (either diskette first, CDROM second, Hard drive third; or CDROM
    > first, diskette second, Hard Drive third) then the computer will boot
    > from the XP install CD and will install on the selected partition (D:)
    >
    > p.s. My personal opinion is that all boot managers, including Boot
    > Magic, should be configured so that the non-booting operating system
    > partitions are always automatically hidden, which means that whichever
    > operating system is booted that partition will always be C:
    >
    > This makes it much easer to avoid cross-contamination of the operating
    > system files as it is impossible to put something into C:\Windows
    > which needs to be in D:\Windows (or vice versa) and likewise with
    > deletions.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --