Installing DVD Burner

I have my 2 IDE slots on my motherboard. My HD is in one, and the CD-RW is
in the other.

How would I go about installing the DVD burner?

"Kalo" <l@home.com> wrote:

>I have my 2 IDE slots on my motherboard. My HD is in one, and the
>CD-RW is in the other.
>How would I go about installing the DVD burner?

Each IDE slot/channel allows two disks. I think you should refer to
your DVD owner's manual. It should tell you, if necessary, how to
configure your DVD as Slave. It might even tell you how to do what
you're asking to do. In any case, you connected to the other connector
on either IDE cable.

If you post the make and model of your DVD drive, I can look up the
manual online and help you do that.

>I have my 2 IDE slots on my motherboard. My HD is in one, and the CD-RW is
>in the other.
>
>How would I go about installing the DVD burner?

It must go on the cable with the CD-RW. The burner on the last
connector on the cable will be set to Master. Normally by putting the
jumper on the back of the drive to the pins marked "M". The drive on
the center connector of the IDE cable should be set to Slave. By
putting the jumper to the pins marked "S", in most cases.

You never put an optical drive on a cable with a HDD. The IDE
controller defaults all drives on the cable to the speed of the
slowest drive. There aren't many cases where you want a HDD to run at
the snails speed of a CD/DVD drive.

Put the DVD unit on the same IDE channel as the CD-Rom by buying a two
device IDE cable and plug it into the 2nd IDE channel socket on the
motherboard inplace of its current IDE cable.

--
DaveW

"AndrewJ" <andrewjbbrREMOVE@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>I have my 2 IDE slots on my motherboard. My HD is in one, and the CD-RW
>>is
>>in the other.
>>
>>How would I go about installing the DVD burner?
>>
> It must go on the cable with the CD-RW. The burner on the last
> connector on the cable will be set to Master. Normally by putting the
> jumper on the back of the drive to the pins marked "M". The drive on
> the center connector of the IDE cable should be set to Slave. By
> putting the jumper to the pins marked "S", in most cases.
>
> You never put an optical drive on a cable with a HDD. The IDE
> controller defaults all drives on the cable to the speed of the
> slowest drive. There aren't many cases where you want a HDD to run at
> the snails speed of a CD/DVD drive.

I guess he could also just remove the CD-RW drive, replace it with the DVD
burner and use the DVD burner for everything now.

Having a CD drive on the same IDE no longer causes hard drives to run at the
speed of the CD drive.

a dvd burner typically burns cds as well. so simply remove cd burner and
replace with new drive.