REPAIR WINDOWS ME - Now no Dial up Adapter

Carol

Hi there. I did a "Repair Windows" instead of a complete reinstall (didn't
want to reformat hard drive). The installation appeared to have gone
smoothly, however when I went to connect to internet - I could not dial out.
"Microsoft Dial-Up Adapter is not Installed". I checked under the Network
section of Control Panel and sure enough, no Network adapters..or tcp/ip
protocol. What's strange is that there is no Network Component "dial-up
adapter" available to add/install either. (Under Network, configuration
tab..) So I can't reinstall - the option is not available. The Network
connections box only has 1 tab - entitled Configuration, whereas before there
were 3 tabs. Anyone have any idea on how I can get the dialup adapter back
in Windows ME? I don't have original OS cd's - I have the "restore kit"
that came with the computer (it's a Gateway computer). That's what I used to
do the "repair". Thanks in advance for any possible solutions! I'm
ready to toss this pc out the window.
P.S. Modem is working fine..not an issue.

Try uninstalling/reinstalling DUN from the Add/Remove Programs wizard
Go there, and click on the Windows Setup tab, then highlight the
Communications entry in the list, and click Details.
Uncheck the DUN entry in the resulting list, and click OK out, reboot, then

Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj