Have you gone PCI Express?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
November 28, 2004 1:53:33 AM

If you have, what are thoughts on the technology?...has it changed the
manner in which you use your PC?

More important, have you experinced any performance increase??

More about : pci express

November 28, 2004 1:53:34 AM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 22:53:33 -0000, "Richard Dower"
<richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote:

>If you have, what are thoughts on the technology?...has it changed the
>manner in which you use your PC?
>

>More important, have you experinced any performance increase??

There is no performance to be gained from going to PCI-E at this point
in the ball game. Even 8X AGP isn't being maxed out yet and there is
very little to be gained in 8X AGP over 4X AGP.
November 28, 2004 6:57:56 AM

"Bass" <fish@no.email> wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 22:53:33 -0000, "Richard Dower"
> <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>If you have, what are thoughts on the technology?...has it changed the
>>manner in which you use your PC?
>>

>>More important, have you experinced any performance increase??
>>

> There is no performance to be gained from going to PCI-E at this point
> in the ball game. Even 8X AGP isn't being maxed out yet and there is
> very little to be gained in 8X AGP over 4X AGP.

Is PCI-E limited only to video? What about things like ethernet cards where
the PCI bus is starting to become the limitation?
a b B Homebuilt system
November 28, 2004 7:10:24 AM

"Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message news:81cqd.2602$_E3.759@trndny06...

> "Bass" <fish@no.email> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 22:53:33 -0000, "Richard Dower"
>> <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>If you have, what are thoughts on the technology?...has it changed the
>>>manner in which you use your PC?
>>>

>>>More important, have you experinced any performance increase??
>>>

>> There is no performance to be gained from going to PCI-E at this point
>> in the ball game. Even 8X AGP isn't being maxed out yet and there is
>> very little to be gained in 8X AGP over 4X AGP.
>
> Is PCI-E limited only to video? What about things like ethernet cards
> where
> the PCI bus is starting to become the limitation?

And sound cards, Creative are releasing a brand new PCI-E sound card with
new architecture in March 2005.

I have decided to go PCI-E for this reason, new motherboards already come
equiped with SATA II and PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet, sound cards and graphic
cards are all going the same way.

Time to dump my GA-8KNXP and move over to nForce 4!!!
November 28, 2004 2:44:59 PM

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:57:56 GMT, "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote:

>Is PCI-E limited only to video? What about things like ethernet cards where
>the PCI bus is starting to become the limitation?

PCI-E for video is 16X
PCI-E for other periphs is 1X
November 28, 2004 4:41:12 PM

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bass" <fish@no.email> wrote in message

>>> There is no performance to be gained from going to PCI-E at this point
>>> in the ball game. Even 8X AGP isn't being maxed out yet and there is
>>> very little to be gained in 8X AGP over 4X AGP.
>>
>> Is PCI-E limited only to video? What about things like ethernet cards
>> where
>> the PCI bus is starting to become the limitation?
>
> And sound cards, Creative are releasing a brand new PCI-E sound card with
> new architecture in March 2005.
>
> I have decided to go PCI-E for this reason, new motherboards already come
> equiped with SATA II and PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet, sound cards and graphic
> cards are all going the same way.
>
> Time to dump my GA-8KNXP and move over to nForce 4!!!

That's a nice board! I'll trade you my Intel D845HV dog for it :) .
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 28, 2004 6:00:41 PM

Bass wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:57:56 GMT, "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>>Is PCI-E limited only to video? What about things like ethernet cards
>>where the PCI bus is starting to become the limitation?
>>
> PCI-E for video is 16X
> PCI-E for other periphs is 1X

Are there PCI-E cards out for the 1X slots, yet?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 28, 2004 11:04:31 PM

> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:57:56 GMT, "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>>Is PCI-E limited only to video? What about things like ethernet cards
>>where
>>the PCI bus is starting to become the limitation?
>>
> PCI-E for video is 16X
> PCI-E for other periphs is 1X

And a 1x lane is still 250MB/s bandwith. Almost double the entire bandwidth
of the entire PCI bus!!!!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 28, 2004 11:05:52 PM

"Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
> Bass wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:57:56 GMT, "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Is PCI-E limited only to video? What about things like ethernet cards
>>>where the PCI bus is starting to become the limitation?
>>>
>> PCI-E for video is 16X
>> PCI-E for other periphs is 1X
>
> Are there PCI-E cards out for the 1X slots, yet?

Yes, you can get intergrated PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet and stand alone cards,
sound cards coming soon and i am sure more will be added like Firewire and
USB cards.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 28, 2004 11:53:38 PM

>>Is PCI-E limited only to video? What about things like ethernet cards where
>>>the PCI bus is starting to become the limitation?
>>>

> PCI-E for video is 16X
> PCI-E for other periphs is 1X

I don't know anything about PCI-e, so I've got a question. As I
understand it, the PCI-e slots will take over the regular PCI
slots on the motherboard, right? Will they be backward compatible?
Will I be able to stick a regular PCI card into a PCI-e slot, and
expect it to work as usual?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 29, 2004 1:21:10 AM

"Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
>>>Is PCI-E limited only to video? What about things like ethernet cards
>>>where
>>
>> PCI-E for video is 16X
>> PCI-E for other periphs is 1X
>
> I don't know anything about PCI-e, so I've got a question. As I understand
> it, the PCI-e slots will take over the regular PCI slots on the
> motherboard, right? Will they be backward compatible? Will I be able to
> stick a regular PCI card into a PCI-e slot, and expect it to work as
> usual?

No.
November 29, 2004 3:43:05 PM

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:13:50 GMT, Al Smith <invalid@address.com>
wrote:

>If there are legacy PCI slots available, that might work -- as
>long as they follow the ISA model, and provide enough slots of
>both types. And they should keep the AGP slot for a while, also. I
>use the parallel port for my printer and ZIP drive. I always hear
>about people having problems with USB printers but my parallel
>port printer is pretty reliable. Serial port I'm using for my Palm
>cradle. But I guess USB has progress far enough that we can think
>about giving up the older ports. I'm just not in any particular rush.

I've never had a probelm with USB printers, and I own two of them.
They are no more problematic than parrallel port printers.
!