Defrag and scan disk problems

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 21, 2005 3:15:01 AM

Hi, hope someone can help! I have Windows Me, and when I try and run my
defragmenter (it needs it badly!) it never moves off 0% despite sounding like
it is accessing the C: drive. Even if I leave it for 8 hours it stays on 0%!

I followed some on-line troubleshooting tips on the Microsoft site about
deleting the Applog file then running Scan Disk, the the degrager again. Now
the problem with Scan Disk is I suspect similar to what is holding up defrag.
Again it never gets past the first block of the scan and the error message I
eventually get is "Scan Disk has restarted 10 times because Windows or
another program has been writing to this drive. Quitting some running
programs may enable Scan Disk to finich sooner" But I can't see that I have
any programmes running! Again even if I ignore the warning and let it run
for hours it simply restarts over and over.

Help! Tim
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 4:47:46 AM

denb10 wrote:
> Hi, hope someone can help! I have Windows Me, and when I try and run
> my defragmenter (it needs it badly!) it never moves off 0% despite
> sounding like it is accessing the C: drive. Even if I leave it for 8
> hours it stays on 0%!
>
> I followed some on-line troubleshooting tips on the Microsoft site
> about deleting the Applog file then running Scan Disk, the the
> degrager again. Now the problem with Scan Disk is I suspect similar
> to what is holding up defrag. Again it never gets past the first
> block of the scan and the error message I eventually get is "Scan
> Disk has restarted 10 times because Windows or another program has
> been writing to this drive. Quitting some running programs may
> enable Scan Disk to finich sooner" But I can't see that I have any
> programmes running! Again even if I ignore the warning and let it
> run for hours it simply restarts over and over.

The simplest solution is to boot into Safe Mode and run ScanDisk from there.

For further troubleshooting, I recommend MS-MVP Ron Badour's page:
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/scandisk.html

--
Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows Shell/User, Windows Security
Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/

First thing to try, is running it in Safe Mode.

If OK in Safe Mode, download and install ScanDefrag v5.0.

This is a FREE utility, written by several well respected contributors to
these News Groups and has been designed to run several original MS utilities
through a 'filter' which eliminates the usual junk which stops Scandisk (and
Defrag) from running properly in Normal Mode - as you are already
experiencing <g>

You can get ScanDefrag at either of the two sites below - and be sure to
read the associated notes for setting it up:
http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/main.ht...
http://www.blueorbsoft.com/scandefrag/index.html

HTH and good luck

Mart

"denb10" <denb10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, hope someone can help! I have Windows Me, and when I try and run my
> defragmenter (it needs it badly!) it never moves off 0% despite sounding
> like
> it is accessing the C: drive. Even if I leave it for 8 hours it stays on
> 0%!
>

> I followed some on-line troubleshooting tips on the Microsoft site about
> deleting the Applog file then running Scan Disk, the the degrager again.
> Now
> the problem with Scan Disk is I suspect similar to what is holding up
> defrag.
> Again it never gets past the first block of the scan and the error message
> eventually get is "Scan Disk has restarted 10 times because Windows or
> another program has been writing to this drive. Quitting some running
> programs may enable Scan Disk to finich sooner" But I can't see that I
> have
> any programmes running! Again even if I ignore the warning and let it run
> for hours it simply restarts over and over.
>
> Help! Tim
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:17:05 PM

"denb10" <denb10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, hope someone can help! I have Windows Me, and when I try and run my
> defragmenter (it needs it badly!) it never moves off 0% despite sounding
> like
> it is accessing the C: drive. Even if I leave it for 8 hours it stays on
> 0%!
>

> I followed some on-line troubleshooting tips on the Microsoft site about
> deleting the Applog file then running Scan Disk, the the degrager again.
> Now
> the problem with Scan Disk is I suspect similar to what is holding up
> defrag.
> Again it never gets past the first block of the scan and the error message
> eventually get is "Scan Disk has restarted 10 times because Windows or
> another program has been writing to this drive. Quitting some running
> programs may enable Scan Disk to finich sooner" But I can't see that I
> have
> any programmes running! Again even if I ignore the warning and let it run
> for hours it simply restarts over and over.
>
> Help! Tim

If you press Ctrl-Alt-Del the Task List pops up - all those things listed
are programs! A program is not just something you start by double
clicking - there are many background processes and Windows functions running
that you won't even know about.

Try scanning and defragging in Safe Mode, which loads minimal processors,
drivers etc and may help accomplish this task.
!