Wired and Wireless on Same Network

I tried posting this on comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking, but
got no answer. Not sure if this is really the right place to post
it, but this is the only PC group that I monitor, so here goes:

I have recently moved into a home that already has a small
Ethernet network consisting of a cable modem connected to a
four-port router. Three of the ports are used for wired
connections to other Windows 2000 or XP computers. I would like
to connect a wireless router to the fourth port, and connect two
more Windows 2000 computers to that wireless router. Is this
possible? If so, any recommendations as to wireless routers,
adapters, and any other hardware that will be needed?

Many sincere thanks,
Greg
9 answers Last reply
More about wired wireless network

    Greg, I've got the same situation and I'm told never to connect a router to
    a router. You get problems. I'm told by Linksys to use a wireless access
    point like WAP11 for 802.11b wireless
    "Greg" <76145.2455@compuswerve.com> wrote in message
    >I tried posting this on comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking, but
    > got no answer. Not sure if this is really the right place to post
    > it, but this is the only PC group that I monitor, so here goes:
    >
    > I have recently moved into a home that already has a small
    > Ethernet network consisting of a cable modem connected to a
    > four-port router. Three of the ports are used for wired
    > connections to other Windows 2000 or XP computers. I would like
    > to connect a wireless router to the fourth port, and connect two
    > more Windows 2000 computers to that wireless router. Is this
    > possible? If so, any recommendations as to wireless routers,
    > adapters, and any other hardware that will be needed?
    >
    > Many sincere thanks,
    > Greg

    Thanks, everybody. I knew you'd come through for me.

    Greg

    Greg wrote:
    > I tried posting this on comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking, but
    > got no answer. Not sure if this is really the right place to post
    > it, but this is the only PC group that I monitor, so here goes:
    >
    > I have recently moved into a home that already has a small
    > Ethernet network consisting of a cable modem connected to a
    > four-port router. Three of the ports are used for wired
    > connections to other Windows 2000 or XP computers. I would like
    > to connect a wireless router to the fourth port, and connect two
    > more Windows 2000 computers to that wireless router. Is this
    > possible? If so, any recommendations as to wireless routers,
    > adapters, and any other hardware that will be needed?
    >
    > Many sincere thanks,
    > Greg

    Despite the advice regarding two routers, I would add a router. You
    will pay the same for a wireless access point as for a wireless router
    but the router gives you much more flexibility.

    It is easy to connect and operate. Just use a crossover cable (not a
    standard ethernet cable) and turn off the DHCP feature of the wireless
    router. I have done it with a SMC7004ABR router and a D-Link 614+
    wireless router with absolutely no problem. The SMC has four standard
    ethernet ports and the D-Link has four standard ethernet ports and
    wireless built in. The crossover cable connects to one ethernet port
    on each router.

    Good luck, jimbo

    "Greg" <76145.2455@compuswerve.com> wrote in message
    >I tried posting this on comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking, but
    > got no answer. Not sure if this is really the right place to post
    > it, but this is the only PC group that I monitor, so here goes:
    >
    > I have recently moved into a home that already has a small
    > Ethernet network consisting of a cable modem connected to a
    > four-port router. Three of the ports are used for wired
    > connections to other Windows 2000 or XP computers. I would like
    > to connect a wireless router to the fourth port, and connect two
    > more Windows 2000 computers to that wireless router. Is this
    > possible? If so, any recommendations as to wireless routers,
    > adapters, and any other hardware that will be needed?
    >
    > Many sincere thanks,
    > Greg

    OK, as others have mentioned, two routers can be troublesome. Your best bet
    is to replace the existing wired router with a wireless/wired router such as
    Netgear WGR614 or similar. If you end up with more than 4 computers that
    need an actual WIRED connection, then add a hub to the wireless router. On
    the hub, hook up two (or more) computers that aren't likely to be used at
    the same time.

    Note that you can also add a wireless access point to the existing (wired)
    router. HOWEVER, this will be more expensive than just replacing the
    router. Plus, you'll have more cables to run and you'll have yet one more
    electrical component to find a plug for. Thus, it's a better idea just to
    buy a new wireless router with built-in 4-port switch. As recently as
    yesterday, buy.com had a Belkin brand wireless "g" router with 4-port switch
    for about $37, with free shipping. -Dave

    "Greg" <76145.2455@compuswerve.com> wrote in message
    >I tried posting this on comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking, but
    > got no answer. Not sure if this is really the right place to post
    > it, but this is the only PC group that I monitor, so here goes:
    >
    > I have recently moved into a home that already has a small
    > Ethernet network consisting of a cable modem connected to a
    > four-port router. Three of the ports are used for wired
    > connections to other Windows 2000 or XP computers. I would like
    > to connect a wireless router to the fourth port, and connect two
    > more Windows 2000 computers to that wireless router. Is this
    > possible? If so, any recommendations as to wireless routers,
    > adapters, and any other hardware that will be needed?
    >
    > Many sincere thanks,
    > Greg

    You dont want another router, you need a wireless access point (WAP). I run
    a similar system with a 4 port ADSL router connected to a D-Link WAP so i
    can connect with my laptop.

    hamman

    "Greg" <76145.2455@compuswerve.com> wrote...

    > I have recently moved into a home that already has a small
    > Ethernet network consisting of a cable modem connected to a
    > four-port router. Three of the ports are used for wired
    > connections to other Windows 2000 or XP computers. I would like
    > to connect a wireless router to the fourth port, and connect two
    > more Windows 2000 computers to that wireless router. Is this
    > possible? If so, any recommendations as to wireless routers,
    > adapters, and any other hardware that will be needed?

    You could connect a "Wireless Access Point" to the 4th port, but WAPs aren't
    much cheaper than full-fledged Wired/Wireless routers these days.

    For future compatibility and speed, I'd go for a Linksys WRT54GS wireless
    router, and compatible Linksys "Speedbooster" wireless cards for any systems you
    need to buy cards for. You can find cheaper deals, too, so the choice is up to
    you...

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 14:35:48 -0800, jimbo <jimbo62@spamex.com> wrote:

    >Just use a crossover cable (not a
    >standard ethernet cable) and turn off the DHCP feature of the wireless
    >router. I have done it with a SMC7004ABR router and a D-Link 614+
    >wireless router with absolutely no problem. The SMC has four standard
    >ethernet ports and the D-Link has four standard ethernet ports and
    >wireless built in. The crossover cable connects to one ethernet port
    >on each router.

    I have the same SMC router (and I like it!). Thanks for this
    information as it would be convenient to get wireless happening on my
    laptop so I can share files and get DSL access elsewhere in the house
    than my second storey office.

    Accessing engine schematics in my garage, for instance <G>.

    Cool.

    R.

    rhys wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 14:35:48 -0800, jimbo <jimbo62@spamex.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Just use a crossover cable (not a
    >>standard ethernet cable) and turn off the DHCP feature of the wireless
    >>router. I have done it with a SMC7004ABR router and a D-Link 614+
    >>wireless router with absolutely no problem. The SMC has four standard
    >>ethernet ports and the D-Link has four standard ethernet ports and
    >>wireless built in. The crossover cable connects to one ethernet port
    >>on each router.
    >

    > I have the same SMC router (and I like it!). Thanks for this
    > information as it would be convenient to get wireless happening on my
    > laptop so I can share files and get DSL access elsewhere in the house
    > than my second storey office.
    >
    > Accessing engine schematics in my garage, for instance <G>.
    >
    > Cool.
    >
    > R.

    Well, if you have four or fewer wired computers on your SMC, you could
    just switch to a wireless router with four wired ports. The D-Link
    614+ and 624 have four wired ports and wireless.

    Good luck, jimbo

    Greg wrote:
    > I tried posting this on comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking, but
    > got no answer. Not sure if this is really the right place to post
    > it, but this is the only PC group that I monitor, so here goes:
    >
    > I have recently moved into a home that already has a small
    > Ethernet network consisting of a cable modem connected to a
    > four-port router. Three of the ports are used for wired
    > connections to other Windows 2000 or XP computers. I would like
    > to connect a wireless router to the fourth port,

    You mean a wireless access point. Alternatively, you'll probably pay
    close to the same for just upgrading the router to one that has a built
    in access point, which is what I did last month. My only regret is that
    my old ethernet router had a built in print server which was beyond my
    meager budget for the wireless upgrade.

    > and connect two
    > more Windows 2000 computers to that wireless router. Is this
    > possible? If so, any recommendations as to wireless routers,
    > adapters, and any other hardware that will be needed?

    I swear by netgear for routers.

    > Many sincere thanks,
    > Greg

    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

Homebuilt Hardware Wireless Router Systems