Assign Drive Letter

I just hooked up a 512 mb flash drive to the USB port. It does
not see the drive when I open windows explorer. I think I remember
shortening my drive list a long time ago but I forgot how I did it.
Can someone tell me how to increase the assigned drive list?

JPC
4 answers Last reply
More about assign drive letter

    In news:9aok1152lv8bt5isoll4iqup18c8l9g60h@4ax.com,
    John Callaway <jcalla@erols.com> had this to say:

    > I just hooked up a 512 mb flash drive to the USB port. It does
    > not see the drive when I open windows explorer. I think I remember
    > shortening my drive list a long time ago but I forgot how I did it.
    > Can someone tell me how to increase the assigned drive list?
    >

    > JPC

    Plug the drive in, reboot with it in place just in case, and head to this
    page:

    That should give you the chance to assign a drive letter to the USB drive
    though there might be some software from the manufacturer of the drive that
    will help you in this matter. I'd check there before using step two on the
    page as that relies on you editing the registry.

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    Possibly in TweakUI?

    HTH

    Mart

    "John Callaway" <jcalla@erols.com> wrote in message
    > I just hooked up a 512 mb flash drive to the USB port. It does
    > not see the drive when I open windows explorer. I think I remember
    > shortening my drive list a long time ago but I forgot how I did it.
    > Can someone tell me how to increase the assigned drive list?
    >

    > JPC

    Let me be more specific. I am using windows ME. It does show the drive
    for the USB assigned to H in the system
    information/summary/components/storage/drives. However when I go to
    explorer it does not show it there. When I go to the dos command promp
    it does show H. Why doesn't it show in explorer?

    JPC

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:41:14 -0000, "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >Possibly in TweakUI?
    >
    >HTH
    >
    >Mart
    >

    >"John Callaway" <jcalla@erols.com> wrote in message
    >> I just hooked up a 512 mb flash drive to the USB port. It does
    >> not see the drive when I open windows explorer. I think I remember
    >> shortening my drive list a long time ago but I forgot how I did it.
    >> Can someone tell me how to increase the assigned drive list?
    >>

    >> JPC

    In your original post, you suggested that you "remember shortening my drive
    list a long time ago"

    Well, there is certainly a utility in TweakUI which lets you 'hide'
    (selected) drives, which matches your description/symptoms.

    Maybe you could see if it will undo what you did 'a long time ago' and
    'unhide' the drive.

    You can download TweakUI from Microsoft at :-
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/powertoys/networking/nttweakui.asp

    Following warnings/notes reproduced with acknowledgement to the late
    Koldbear

    1) Do *not* change the first icon from "My Documents" on the Desktop tab
    2) Do *not* uncheck: Search Results on the Desktop tab
    3) Do *not* hide the Tweak UI icon on the Control Panel tab
    4) Do *not* uncheck: Show Control Panel on Start Menu on the IE tab
    5) Do *not* uncheck: Shell enhancements on the IE tab
    6) To move "My Documents" folder, right-click on the Folder, and click
    Properties.

    > Let me be more specific. I am using windows ME. It does show the drive
    > for the USB assigned to H in the system
    > information/summary/components/storage/drives. However when I go to
    > explorer it does not show it there. When I go to the dos command promp
    > it does show H. Why doesn't it show in explorer?
    >
    > JPC
    >
    > On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:41:14 -0000, "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Possibly in TweakUI?
    >>
    >>HTH
    >>
    >>Mart
    >>

    >>"John Callaway" <jcalla@erols.com> wrote in message
    >>> I just hooked up a 512 mb flash drive to the USB port. It does
    >>> not see the drive when I open windows explorer. I think I remember
    >>> shortening my drive list a long time ago but I forgot how I did it.
    >>> Can someone tell me how to increase the assigned drive list?
    >>>

    >>> JPC

Windows Explorer Microsoft Windows