ATX2 PS vs AMD on ECS board

I am confused.
Just got an ECS N2U400-A MB and 2800+ AMD CPU ...old ATX PS doesn't
have the 4 pin 12V connector ...manual says " Connect the Pentium 4
aux PS conector to ATX2" ... system won't boot and other threads say
you need this connection ...is it true that this has nothing to do
with the term "Pentium 4" and something got lost in translation ? I
can look for the PS converter in a local shop if that is really the
problem here.

Stew Corman from sunny Endicott

"Stew Corman" <scorman@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
> I am confused.
> Just got an ECS N2U400-A MB and 2800+ AMD CPU ...old ATX PS doesn't
> have the 4 pin 12V connector ...manual says " Connect the Pentium 4
> aux PS conector to ATX2" ... system won't boot and other threads say
> you need this connection ...is it true that this has nothing to do
> with the term "Pentium 4" and something got lost in translation ? I
> can look for the PS converter in a local shop if that is really the
> problem here.
>
> Stew Corman from sunny Endicott
What is make/rating of your PSU? XP2800 is about 74W Older PSU may not
be able to supply required current. The extra connector is used on AMD
systems to reduce load on 20 way connector.
Mike.

scorman@stny.rr.com (Stew Corman) wrote in message news:<c1d9a69c.0411281200.423ddfbe@posting.google.com>...
> I am confused.
> Just got an ECS N2U400-A MB and 2800+ AMD CPU ...old ATX PS doesn't
> have the 4 pin 12V connector ...manual says " Connect the Pentium 4
> aux PS conector to ATX2" ... system won't boot and other threads say
> you need this connection ...is it true that this has nothing to do
> with the term "Pentium 4" and something got lost in translation ? I
> can look for the PS converter in a local shop if that is really the
> problem here.

The first ATX motherboards to use +12V for CPU power were P4s, and
Intel was behind the 4-pin 12V connector, but you're right that the
4-pin 12V connector has much less to do with whether the CPU is a P4
or an Athlon than with the source of the power for the motherboard's
CPU voltage, either +5V or +12V.

If a motherboard has a 4-pin power connector, you must use it unless
the CPU is slow and consumes little power. Otherwise the 20-pin
connector's sole +12V connector (yellow wire) will likely be
overloaded beyond its maximum 6-8 amp rating and melt or drop too much
voltage.

You can use an adaptor, 4pin rectangle to 4pin square, without any
problems. These are available PC component retailers.

> The first ATX motherboards to use +12V for CPU power were P4s, and
> Intel was behind the 4-pin 12V connector, but you're right that the
> 4-pin 12V connector has much less to do with whether the CPU is a P4
> or an Athlon than with the source of the power for the motherboard's
> CPU voltage, either +5V or +12V.
>
> If a motherboard has a 4-pin power connector, you must use it unless
> the CPU is slow and consumes little power. Otherwise the 20-pin
> connector's sole +12V connector (yellow wire) will likely be
> overloaded beyond its maximum 6-8 amp rating and melt or drop too much
> voltage.

Thanks for the detailed response, and I am reporting that after
purchasing the $5.50 power conversion adapter, the motherboard did in
fact boot up and every thing was working after loading the new board
drivers.

Quick followup q:
upon booting, it shows the AMD 2800 as being clocked at 1250MHz and
memory freq at 133MHz for PC2100 DRAM ...there are no jumpers to set
...all adjustment are in the bios setup screens and it chose "optimum"
.... I tried to reset to other values , but the board hung and I had to
do a bios "clear CMOS" reset. Am I missing something obvious?

Stew Corman

> > The first ATX motherboards to use +12V for CPU power were P4s, and
> > Intel was behind the 4-pin 12V connector, but you're right that the
> > 4-pin 12V connector has much less to do with whether the CPU is a P4
> > or an Athlon than with the source of the power for the motherboard's
> > CPU voltage, either +5V or +12V.
> >
> > If a motherboard has a 4-pin power connector, you must use it unless
> > the CPU is slow and consumes little power. Otherwise the 20-pin
> > connector's sole +12V connector (yellow wire) will likely be
> > overloaded beyond its maximum 6-8 amp rating and melt or drop too much
> > voltage.
>
> Thanks for the detailed response, and I am reporting that after
> purchasing the $5.50 power conversion adapter, the motherboard did in
> fact boot up and every thing was working after loading the new board
> drivers.
>
> Quick followup q:
> upon booting, it shows the AMD 2800 as being clocked at 1250MHz and
> memory freq at 133MHz for PC2100 DRAM ...there are no jumpers to set
> ..all adjustment are in the bios setup screens and it chose "optimum"
> ... I tried to reset to other values , but the board hung and I had to
> do a bios "clear CMOS" reset. Am I missing something obvious?
>
> Stew Corman
Spec of CPU is Clock Speed, 2.06Ghz. Socket, Socket A. FSB, 333MHZ. L2
Cache, 512Kb. You need PC2700 RAM so that FSB can be set to 166MHz. Are you
sure you have XP2800? With that multiplier it sounds like a XP1600!
Mike.

> > Quick followup q:
> > upon booting, it shows the AMD 2800 as being clocked at 1250MHz and
> > memory freq at 133MHz for PC2100 DRAM ...there are no jumpers to set
> > ..all adjustment are in the bios setup screens and it chose "optimum"
> > ... I tried to reset to other values , but the board hung and I had to
> > do a bios "clear CMOS" reset. Am I missing something obvious?
> >
> > Stew Corman
> Spec of CPU is Clock Speed, 2.06Ghz. Socket, Socket A. FSB, 333MHZ. L2
> Cache, 512Kb. You need PC2700 RAM so that FSB can be set to 166MHz. Are you
> sure you have XP2800? With that multiplier it sounds like a XP1600!
> Mike.

Yes, it is a 2800+, but I mis informed ..once it showed 125MHz, but
last time it was only 100MHz therefore x 12.5 factor = 1250MHz

went back to bios setup, and strangely the entire page with these
settings was "grayed out" ...am doing DD now to find out why bios is
restricted, even the first page doesn't allow me to change date and
time ...strange!

If I have to, I'll clear the bios jumper again and start over.
BTW, shouldn't PC2100 be capable of 166MHz bus setting?

Thanks again for your input,
Stew Corman

> > > Quick followup q:
> > > upon booting, it shows the AMD 2800 as being clocked at 1250MHz and
> > > memory freq at 133MHz for PC2100 DRAM ...there are no jumpers to set
> > > ..all adjustment are in the bios setup screens and it chose "optimum"
> > > ... I tried to reset to other values , but the board hung and I had to
> > > do a bios "clear CMOS" reset. Am I missing something obvious?
> > >
> > > Stew Corman
> > Spec of CPU is Clock Speed, 2.06Ghz. Socket, Socket A. FSB, 333MHZ.
L2
> > Cache, 512Kb. You need PC2700 RAM so that FSB can be set to 166MHz. Are
you
> > sure you have XP2800? With that multiplier it sounds like a XP1600!
> > Mike.
>
> Yes, it is a 2800+, but I mis informed ..once it showed 125MHz, but
> last time it was only 100MHz therefore x 12.5 factor = 1250MHz
>
> went back to bios setup, and strangely the entire page with these
> settings was "grayed out" ...am doing DD now to find out why bios is
> restricted, even the first page doesn't allow me to change date and
> time ...strange!
>
> If I have to, I'll clear the bios jumper again and start over.
> BTW, shouldn't PC2100 be capable of 166MHz bus setting?
>
> Thanks again for your input,
> Stew Corman
No, PC2100 only rated at 133MHz FSB.
Mike.