missing files

Hello,

My friend has a Dell Desktop and is getting a message that a driver file is
missing to operate the printer. The CD for the printer installs the printer
drivers, but Windows drivers are missing. I've seen this with Windows 98
too.

I like to help my friends when I can, and in doing so, I learn new things in
the process.

What is the best way to find and install or repair Windows 98 and ME when
the computer boots up and an error message appears telling the user that
there are missing .dll's, .vxd etc., files?

Thanks

"leeray" <lrsnh@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Hello,
>
> My friend has a Dell Desktop and is getting a message that a driver file
> is missing to operate the printer. The CD for the printer installs the
> printer drivers, but Windows drivers are missing. I've seen this with
> Windows 98 too.
>
> I like to help my friends when I can, and in doing so, I learn new
> things in the process.
>
> What is the best way to find and install or repair Windows 98 and ME
> when the computer boots up and an error message appears telling the user
> that there are missing .dll's, .vxd etc., files?
>
> Thanks

Most of your system files (VXDs, DLLs, EXEs, etc.) can be restored straight
from the hard drive. However, I strongly suggest updating any hardware
drivers from the manufacturer's CD or website, instead of the hard drive.

When WinME is installed, there is a virtual copy of the OS made in:
C:\Windows\Options\ and its subfolders.

You may restore individual files using this method:

START->

RUN->

type MSCONFIG->

select EXTRACT FILE->

type the file's EXACT name that is to be restored (not the complete path,
just the file name including extension, such as EXPLORER.EXE)->

select the "Restore From" location (in almost all cases, it is
C:\Windows\Options\Cabs\)->

Select the "Save File In" location. This is the complete path (the original
folder) where the missing file resided. (If unsure, consult Google using the
missing file's name)->

If you are replacing an existing file with this method (such as when
repairing a corrupted file), instead of restoring a missing file, you will be
prompted to create a backup. Always select "Yes" to be on the safe side.

~Theta Sigma