Computer Name

cg

I am creating a batch file that needs to determine the Computer Name before
it runs. I have no problem with XP using "If %ComputerName% == xxxx. This
statement does not work with ME. I have tried numerous strings. Is there a
way to find the Computer Name? Thanks!

http://newmanservices.com/vbwebdoc/ipaddr.htm
The URL above will direct you to the computer's name and also provides info
on how to change it.
Heirloom, old and it's kinda like a dog with no
legs, doesn't matter what
you call it, it won't come anyway.

"CG" <CG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am creating a batch file that needs to determine the Computer Name
before
> it runs. I have no problem with XP using "If %ComputerName% == xxxx. This
> statement does not work with ME. I have tried numerous strings. Is there a
> way to find the Computer Name? Thanks!

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:112B74E2-C11B-40CD-A6A0-1A7586D56138@microsoft.com,
CG <CG@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I am creating a batch file that needs to determine the Computer Name
> before it runs. I have no problem with XP using "If %ComputerName% ==
> xxxx. This statement does not work with ME. I have tried numerous
> strings. Is there a way to find the Computer Name? Thanks!

That would be because Windows ME doesn't have a computername variable. I did
a quick Google and came up with this site for you:

http://www.netopia.com/en-us/support/howtodocs/netoctopus/pmsi.html?print=yes

If you poke around on the site you'll find a computername.exe which you can
download. That might do the trick for you. Doesn't appear to be anything
that you need to pay for either. Of course I think that they're assuming
that you've already installed their application in order to use it. Somehow
my network to the ME box has gone a bit awry in the past day so I'm unable
to download it while this PC is connected or I'd give it a shot and test it.
If it doesn't work head back to a search engine and enter in add the
%computername% variable to Windows ME.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

Hey Galen,
The computer's name is actually shown on the Identification tab of
the Network applet. From that window you can change it to suit your fancy.
Heirloom, old and gonna have company

> In news:112B74E2-C11B-40CD-A6A0-1A7586D56138@microsoft.com,
> CG <CG@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
>

> > I am creating a batch file that needs to determine the Computer Name
> > before it runs. I have no problem with XP using "If %ComputerName% ==
> > xxxx. This statement does not work with ME. I have tried numerous
> > strings. Is there a way to find the Computer Name? Thanks!
>
> That would be because Windows ME doesn't have a computername variable. I
did
> a quick Google and came up with this site for you:

http://www.netopia.com/en-us/support/howtodocs/netoctopus/pmsi.html?print=yes

> If you poke around on the site you'll find a computername.exe which you
can
> download. That might do the trick for you. Doesn't appear to be anything
> that you need to pay for either. Of course I think that they're assuming
> that you've already installed their application in order to use it.
Somehow
> my network to the ME box has gone a bit awry in the past day so I'm unable
> to download it while this PC is connected or I'd give it a shot and test
it.
> If it doesn't work head back to a search engine and enter in add the
> %computername% variable to Windows ME.
>
> Galen
>
> --
>
> "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
> the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
> in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
> stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
> mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

Intead of using DOS Batch file programming, try a real interpreter such as Kixstart {
http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare} and then you can use the readvalue() command to look
in the Registry and you will find the computer name as in the script example below.

$PCName=readvalue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\Computer
Name", "ComputerName")
if ($PCName = "The_name_looked_for")=1
; function to be performed
endif

--
Dave

In news:OUxoGIQGFHA.1456@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
heirloom <heirloom@nospamatall.com> had this to say:

> Hey Galen,
> The computer's name is actually shown on the Identification
> tab of the Network applet. From that window you can change it to
> suit your fancy. Heirloom, old and gonna
> have company

I thought that the OP wanted to know why the %computername%
programming/scripting variable wouldn't function for them. The ability to do
that is not native to Windows ME though %WinDir% is for example. A script to
be used on multiple computers would benefit with the %computername% variable
as it means the OP doesn't have to generate a custom script for each
computer. If the OP wants to use the variable they'll need a third party
tool to do it or I think that there might be a way to edit it in the
registry but I usually try to avoid giving out advice about reg editing if I
can help it. Perhaps I mis-understood what the OP was asking?

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

H,

The poster isn't asking how to change the computer name but rather for a
method by which a computer's computer name can be checked when running a
batch file. This can't be done with Win Me without the use of a third
party uitility such as mentioned by Galen in his post.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

heirloom <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote:

> http://newmanservices.com/vbwebdoc/ipaddr.htm
> The URL above will direct you to the computer's name and also
> provides info on how to change it.

Sorry Galen and thanks Mike,
'Twas I that didn't read the OP's message properly. As usual, I stand
corrected. Keep me straight, gentlemen.......I don't want to put out any
bad skinny.
Heirloom, old and bows to Galen & Mike

In news:%23iRSb1VGFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
heirloom <heirloom@nospamatall.com> had this to say:

> I don't want to
> put out any bad skinny.

Forgive my youth (only 31) and being an American but I have to ask... What
is a "bad skinny" and is it something I can catch from swapping body fluids?
*chuckles*

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

LOL. I don't remember where I picked that up and I, too, am an American,
even worse, a Texan, by virtue of homestead. "Skinny" is a colloquial term
for 'information'..........for example: "I'll give you the whole skinny
later." Don't you have this warm feeling of enlightenment now?
Heirloom, old and not so skinny

In news:eyDAKwWGFHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
heirloom <heirloom@nospamatall.com> had this to say:

> LOL. I don't remember where I picked that up and I, too, am an
> American, even worse, a Texan, by virtue of homestead. "Skinny" is
> a colloquial term for 'information'..........for example: "I'll give
> you the whole skinny later." Don't you have this warm feeling of
> enlightenment now? Heirloom, old and not so
> skinny

Alas, I'm in Maine... Thus I'm not certain if it's enlightenment or Nyquil
because I have a cold. Either way I certainly have the warm feeling in my
belly. I seem to recall "Give me the skinny" in an old black and white
movie, James Carrey (spelling) perhaps? I'm not that big of a movie buff but
it sounds vaguely familiar and now that I think about it I might have heard
it in an old cartoon. Guess it's the generation gap thing. Then again, I was
completely lost when someone said something about shiznit and I was pretty
close to irate when someone called me "Dawg" (or is it Dog???) the first
time when I was out in California last. I guess there's a new generation gap
or perhaps by the time slang reaches Maine it's already too late to use it.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

cg

Everyone,

Solved the problem by using Kixtart. After a bit of time to correct script
errors, I was able to "read" the pc name and use it in an "IF" statement.
Thanks for all the info everyone.

> In news:eyDAKwWGFHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> heirloom <heirloom@nospamatall.com> had this to say:
>

> > LOL. I don't remember where I picked that up and I, too, am an
> > American, even worse, a Texan, by virtue of homestead. "Skinny" is
> > a colloquial term for 'information'..........for example: "I'll give
> > you the whole skinny later." Don't you have this warm feeling of
> > enlightenment now? Heirloom, old and not so
> > skinny
>
> Alas, I'm in Maine... Thus I'm not certain if it's enlightenment or Nyquil
> because I have a cold. Either way I certainly have the warm feeling in my
> belly. I seem to recall "Give me the skinny" in an old black and white
> movie, James Carrey (spelling) perhaps? I'm not that big of a movie buff
but
> it sounds vaguely familiar and now that I think about it I might have
heard
> it in an old cartoon. Guess it's the generation gap thing. Then again, I
was
> completely lost when someone said something about shiznit and I was pretty
> close to irate when someone called me "Dawg" (or is it Dog???) the first
> time when I was out in California last. I guess there's a new generation
gap
> or perhaps by the time slang reaches Maine it's already too late to use
it.

> Galen
>
> --
>
> "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
> the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
> in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
> stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
> mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

Please excuse my breaking in here to your discussion but slang has
fascinated me for many years (I recently tried to find the origin of
"worrywort" or, alternatively, "worrywart," with little success). About
"skinny," if you are interested in pursuing this any farther, go here:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/17/messages/74.html

where you'll find essentially what Heirloom has already said.

Ken Bland

C O O L !

I think you'll find it is a great interpreter and useful in *many* ways.

--
Dave

| Everyone,
|
| Solved the problem by using Kixtart. After a bit of time to correct script
| errors, I was able to "read" the pc name and use it in an "IF" statement.
| Thanks for all the info everyone.
|
| "David H. Lipman" wrote:
|
| > Intead of using DOS Batch file programming, try a real interpreter such as Kixstart {
| > http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare} and then you can use the readvalue() command to
look
| > in the Registry and you will find the computer name as in the script example below.

$PCName=readvalue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\Computer
| > Name", "ComputerName")
| > if ($PCName = "The_name_looked_for")=1
| > ; function to be performed
| > endif
| >

| > --
| > Dave
| >

| > "CG" <CG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | I am creating a batch file that needs to determine the Computer Name before
| > | it runs. I have no problem with XP using "If %ComputerName% == xxxx. This
| > | statement does not work with ME. I have tried numerous strings. Is there a
| > | way to find the Computer Name? Thanks!

I think that would have been James "Cagney"......and I think you are
correct. Now you have to enlighten me about "shiznit".........sounds like a
Jewish swear word. (if anyone here is Jewish, it's a
joke......har........no offense intended). BTW, I loved the "first time I
visited California last."
Heirloom, old and thinks Imodium will cure the
shiznits.

> In news:eyDAKwWGFHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> heirloom <heirloom@nospamatall.com> had this to say:
>

> > LOL. I don't remember where I picked that up and I, too, am an
> > American, even worse, a Texan, by virtue of homestead. "Skinny" is
> > a colloquial term for 'information'..........for example: "I'll give
> > you the whole skinny later." Don't you have this warm feeling of
> > enlightenment now? Heirloom, old and not so
> > skinny
>
> Alas, I'm in Maine... Thus I'm not certain if it's enlightenment or Nyquil
> because I have a cold. Either way I certainly have the warm feeling in my
> belly. I seem to recall "Give me the skinny" in an old black and white
> movie, James Carrey (spelling) perhaps? I'm not that big of a movie buff
but
> it sounds vaguely familiar and now that I think about it I might have
heard
> it in an old cartoon. Guess it's the generation gap thing. Then again, I
was
> completely lost when someone said something about shiznit and I was pretty
> close to irate when someone called me "Dawg" (or is it Dog???) the first
> time when I was out in California last. I guess there's a new generation
gap
> or perhaps by the time slang reaches Maine it's already too late to use
it.

> Galen
>
> --
>
> "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
> the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
> in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
> stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
> mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

Thanks, Ken, now we all have the real skinny.
Heirloom, old and shiznit worries me

"Justin Thyme" <krblmb@brainspring.com> wrote in message

> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > In news:eyDAKwWGFHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> > heirloom <heirloom@nospamatall.com> had this to say:
> >

> > > LOL. I don't remember where I picked that up and I, too, am an
> > > American, even worse, a Texan, by virtue of homestead. "Skinny" is
> > > a colloquial term for 'information'..........for example: "I'll give
> > > you the whole skinny later." Don't you have this warm feeling of
> > > enlightenment now? Heirloom, old and not so
> > > skinny
> >
> > Alas, I'm in Maine... Thus I'm not certain if it's enlightenment or
Nyquil
> > because I have a cold. Either way I certainly have the warm feeling in
my
> > belly. I seem to recall "Give me the skinny" in an old black and white
> > movie, James Carrey (spelling) perhaps? I'm not that big of a movie buff
> but
> > it sounds vaguely familiar and now that I think about it I might have
> heard
> > it in an old cartoon. Guess it's the generation gap thing. Then again, I
> was
> > completely lost when someone said something about shiznit and I was
pretty
> > close to irate when someone called me "Dawg" (or is it Dog???) the first
> > time when I was out in California last. I guess there's a new generation
> gap
> > or perhaps by the time slang reaches Maine it's already too late to use
> it.
> >
> > Galen
> >
> > --
> >
> > "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
> > the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
> > in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
> > stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
> > mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes
> >

> Please excuse my breaking in here to your discussion but slang has
> fascinated me for many years (I recently tried to find the origin of
> "worrywort" or, alternatively, "worrywart," with little success). About
> "skinny," if you are interested in pursuing this any farther, go here:
>
> http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/17/messages/74.html
>
> where you'll find essentially what Heirloom has already said.
>
> Ken Bland

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shiznit

http://www.brendonwilson.com/profile/000129.shtml

BTW: It does sound like Yiddish, oy yey ;-)

--
Dave

"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
| I think that would have been James "Cagney"......and I think you are
| correct. Now you have to enlighten me about "shiznit".........sounds like a
| Jewish swear word. (if anyone here is Jewish, it's a
| joke......har........no offense intended). BTW, I loved the "first time I
| visited California last."
| Heirloom, old and thinks Imodium will cure the
| shiznits.
|
| "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
| > In news:eyDAKwWGFHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
| > heirloom <heirloom@nospamatall.com> had this to say:
| >

| > > LOL. I don't remember where I picked that up and I, too, am an
| > > American, even worse, a Texan, by virtue of homestead. "Skinny" is
| > > a colloquial term for 'information'..........for example: "I'll give
| > > you the whole skinny later." Don't you have this warm feeling of
| > > enlightenment now? Heirloom, old and not so
| > > skinny
| >
| > Alas, I'm in Maine... Thus I'm not certain if it's enlightenment or Nyquil
| > because I have a cold. Either way I certainly have the warm feeling in my
| > belly. I seem to recall "Give me the skinny" in an old black and white
| > movie, James Carrey (spelling) perhaps? I'm not that big of a movie buff
| but
| > it sounds vaguely familiar and now that I think about it I might have
| heard
| > it in an old cartoon. Guess it's the generation gap thing. Then again, I
| was
| > completely lost when someone said something about shiznit and I was pretty
| > close to irate when someone called me "Dawg" (or is it Dog???) the first
| > time when I was out in California last. I guess there's a new generation
| gap
| > or perhaps by the time slang reaches Maine it's already too late to use
| it.
| >
| > Galen
| >
| > --
| >
| > "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
| > the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
| > in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
| > stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
| > mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

I'm in no way Yiddish, but, shouldn't that have been "oy vey?" Either way,
it's the shiznit! In the words of the famous Paul Harvey, "....and now you
know the rest of the skinny."
Heirloom, old and something ain't quite right.

BTW, I will be holding Mr. Jack Martinelli, MS-MVP, hostage, starting Friday
morning. If anyone would like to contribute to his release fund...post back
here. <g> Gonna keep him on a diet of cheap Texas wine and chili......talk
about a pressurized cabin on his flight home!

Yepper -- Typo city, I meant Oy vey ;-)

--

| I'm in no way Yiddish, but, shouldn't that have been "oy vey?" Either way,
| it's the shiznit! In the words of the famous Paul Harvey, "....and now you
| know the rest of the skinny."
| Heirloom, old and something ain't quite right.
|
| BTW, I will be holding Mr. Jack Martinelli, MS-MVP, hostage, starting Friday
| morning. If anyone would like to contribute to his release fund...post back
| here. <g> Gonna keep him on a diet of cheap Texas wine and chili......talk
| about a pressurized cabin on his flight home!

What??......no offerings for the release of Mr. Martinelli????
Heirloom, old and may have to make more chili

> Yepper -- Typo city, I meant Oy vey ;-)
>
> --
> Dave
>

> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> | I'm in no way Yiddish, but, shouldn't that have been "oy vey?" Either
way,
> | it's the shiznit! In the words of the famous Paul Harvey, "....and now
you
> | know the rest of the skinny."
> | Heirloom, old and something ain't quite
right.

> | BTW, I will be holding Mr. Jack Martinelli, MS-MVP, hostage, starting
Friday
> | morning. If anyone would like to contribute to his release fund...post
back
> | here. <g> Gonna keep him on a diet of cheap Texas wine and
chili......talk
> | about a pressurized cabin on his flight home!

Shane

> REGEDIT /E regtest.tmp
> "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName"

This wrapped and should be one line.

Shane

I'm impressed.
Heirloom, old and easily amused

"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > REGEDIT /E regtest.tmp
> > "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName"
>
> This wrapped and should be one line.
>

> Shane

If you're feeding him chilli then he doesn't need a release fund - just a
back-blast protector!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> What??......no offerings for the release of Mr. Martinelli????
> Heirloom, old and may have to make more chili

>> Yepper -- Typo city, I meant Oy vey ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>>

>> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
>> | I'm in no way Yiddish, but, shouldn't that have been "oy vey?" Either
> way,
>> | it's the shiznit! In the words of the famous Paul Harvey, "....and now
> you
>> | know the rest of the skinny."
>> | Heirloom, old and something ain't quite
> right.
>> |
>> | BTW, I will be holding Mr. Jack Martinelli, MS-MVP, hostage, starting
> Friday
>> | morning. If anyone would like to contribute to his release fund...post
> back
>> | here. <g> Gonna keep him on a diet of cheap Texas wine and
> chili......talk
>> | about a pressurized cabin on his flight home!

<lol> And he could probably propel himself home without the need for an
aeroplane <g>
Joan