Computer Name

I am creating a batch file that needs to determine the Computer Name before
it runs. I have no problem with XP using "If %ComputerName% == xxxx. This
statement does not work with ME. I have tried numerous strings. Is there a
way to find the Computer Name? Thanks!
23 answers Last reply
More about computer name

    http://newmanservices.com/vbwebdoc/ipaddr.htm
    The URL above will direct you to the computer's name and also provides info
    on how to change it.
    Heirloom, old and it's kinda like a dog with no
    legs, doesn't matter what
    you call it, it won't come anyway.

    In news:112B74E2-C11B-40CD-A6A0-1A7586D56138@microsoft.com,
    CG <CG@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I am creating a batch file that needs to determine the Computer Name
    > before it runs. I have no problem with XP using "If %ComputerName% ==
    > xxxx. This statement does not work with ME. I have tried numerous
    > strings. Is there a way to find the Computer Name? Thanks!

    That would be because Windows ME doesn't have a computername variable. I did
    a quick Google and came up with this site for you:

    http://www.netopia.com/en-us/support/howtodocs/netoctopus/pmsi.html?print=yes

    If you poke around on the site you'll find a computername.exe which you can
    download. That might do the trick for you. Doesn't appear to be anything
    that you need to pay for either. Of course I think that they're assuming
    that you've already installed their application in order to use it. Somehow
    my network to the ME box has gone a bit awry in the past day so I'm unable
    to download it while this PC is connected or I'd give it a shot and test it.
    If it doesn't work head back to a search engine and enter in add the
    %computername% variable to Windows ME.

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    Hey Galen,
    The computer's name is actually shown on the Identification tab of
    the Network applet. From that window you can change it to suit your fancy.
    Heirloom, old and gonna have company

    > In news:112B74E2-C11B-40CD-A6A0-1A7586D56138@microsoft.com,
    > CG <CG@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
    >

    > > I am creating a batch file that needs to determine the Computer Name
    > > before it runs. I have no problem with XP using "If %ComputerName% ==
    > > xxxx. This statement does not work with ME. I have tried numerous
    > > strings. Is there a way to find the Computer Name? Thanks!
    >
    > That would be because Windows ME doesn't have a computername variable. I
    did
    > a quick Google and came up with this site for you:

    http://www.netopia.com/en-us/support/howtodocs/netoctopus/pmsi.html?print=yes

    > If you poke around on the site you'll find a computername.exe which you
    can
    > download. That might do the trick for you. Doesn't appear to be anything
    > that you need to pay for either. Of course I think that they're assuming
    > that you've already installed their application in order to use it.
    Somehow
    > my network to the ME box has gone a bit awry in the past day so I'm unable
    > to download it while this PC is connected or I'd give it a shot and test
    it.
    > If it doesn't work head back to a search engine and enter in add the
    > %computername% variable to Windows ME.
    >
    > Galen
    >
    > --
    >
    > "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
    > the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
    > in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
    > stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
    > mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    Intead of using DOS Batch file programming, try a real interpreter such as Kixstart {
    http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare} and then you can use the readvalue() command to look
    in the Registry and you will find the computer name as in the script example below.

    $PCName=readvalue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\Computer
    Name", "ComputerName")
    if ($PCName = "The_name_looked_for")=1
    ; function to be performed
    endif

    --
    Dave

    In news:OUxoGIQGFHA.1456@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    heirloom <heirloom@nospamatall.com> had this to say:

    > Hey Galen,
    > The computer's name is actually shown on the Identification
    > tab of the Network applet. From that window you can change it to
    > suit your fancy. Heirloom, old and gonna
    > have company

    I thought that the OP wanted to know why the %computername%
    programming/scripting variable wouldn't function for them. The ability to do
    that is not native to Windows ME though %WinDir% is for example. A script to
    be used on multiple computers would benefit with the %computername% variable
    as it means the OP doesn't have to generate a custom script for each
    computer. If the OP wants to use the variable they'll need a third party
    tool to do it or I think that there might be a way to edit it in the
    registry but I usually try to avoid giving out advice about reg editing if I
    can help it. Perhaps I mis-understood what the OP was asking?

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    H,

    The poster isn't asking how to change the computer name but rather for a
    method by which a computer's computer name can be checked when running a
    batch file. This can't be done with Win Me without the use of a third
    party uitility such as mentioned by Galen in his post.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    heirloom <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote:

    > http://newmanservices.com/vbwebdoc/ipaddr.htm
    > The URL above will direct you to the computer's name and also
    > provides info on how to change it.

    Sorry Galen and thanks Mike,
    'Twas I that didn't read the OP's message properly. As usual, I stand
    corrected. Keep me straight, gentlemen.......I don't want to put out any
    bad skinny.
    Heirloom, old and bows to Galen & Mike

    In news:%23iRSb1VGFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    heirloom <heirloom@nospamatall.com> had this to say:

    > I don't want to
    > put out any bad skinny.

    Forgive my youth (only 31) and being an American but I have to ask... What
    is a "bad skinny" and is it something I can catch from swapping body fluids?
    *chuckles*

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    LOL. I don't remember where I picked that up and I, too, am an American,
    even worse, a Texan, by virtue of homestead. "Skinny" is a colloquial term
    for 'information'..........for example: "I'll give you the whole skinny
    later." Don't you have this warm feeling of enlightenment now?
    Heirloom, old and not so skinny

    In news:eyDAKwWGFHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    heirloom <heirloom@nospamatall.com> had this to say:

    > LOL. I don't remember where I picked that up and I, too, am an
    > American, even worse, a Texan, by virtue of homestead. "Skinny" is
    > a colloquial term for 'information'..........for example: "I'll give
    > you the whole skinny later." Don't you have this warm feeling of
    > enlightenment now? Heirloom, old and not so
    > skinny

    Alas, I'm in Maine... Thus I'm not certain if it's enlightenment or Nyquil
    because I have a cold. Either way I certainly have the warm feeling in my
    belly. I seem to recall "Give me the skinny" in an old black and white
    movie, James Carrey (spelling) perhaps? I'm not that big of a movie buff but
    it sounds vaguely familiar and now that I think about it I might have heard
    it in an old cartoon. Guess it's the generation gap thing. Then again, I was
    completely lost when someone said something about shiznit and I was pretty
    close to irate when someone called me "Dawg" (or is it Dog???) the first
    time when I was out in California last. I guess there's a new generation gap
    or perhaps by the time slang reaches Maine it's already too late to use it.

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    Everyone,

    Solved the problem by using Kixtart. After a bit of time to correct script
    errors, I was able to "read" the pc name and use it in an "IF" statement.
    Thanks for all the info everyone.

    > In news:eyDAKwWGFHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    > heirloom <heirloom@nospamatall.com> had this to say:
    >

    > > LOL. I don't remember where I picked that up and I, too, am an
    > > American, even worse, a Texan, by virtue of homestead. "Skinny" is
    > > a colloquial term for 'information'..........for example: "I'll give
    > > you the whole skinny later." Don't you have this warm feeling of
    > > enlightenment now? Heirloom, old and not so
    > > skinny
    >
    > Alas, I'm in Maine... Thus I'm not certain if it's enlightenment or Nyquil
    > because I have a cold. Either way I certainly have the warm feeling in my
    > belly. I seem to recall "Give me the skinny" in an old black and white
    > movie, James Carrey (spelling) perhaps? I'm not that big of a movie buff
    but
    > it sounds vaguely familiar and now that I think about it I might have
    heard
    > it in an old cartoon. Guess it's the generation gap thing. Then again, I
    was
    > completely lost when someone said something about shiznit and I was pretty
    > close to irate when someone called me "Dawg" (or is it Dog???) the first
    > time when I was out in California last. I guess there's a new generation
    gap
    > or perhaps by the time slang reaches Maine it's already too late to use
    it.

    > Galen
    >
    > --
    >
    > "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
    > the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
    > in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
    > stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
    > mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    Please excuse my breaking in here to your discussion but slang has
    fascinated me for many years (I recently tried to find the origin of
    "worrywort" or, alternatively, "worrywart," with little success). About
    "skinny," if you are interested in pursuing this any farther, go here:

    http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/17/messages/74.html

    where you'll find essentially what Heirloom has already said.

    Ken Bland

    C O O L !

    I think you'll find it is a great interpreter and useful in *many* ways.

    --
    Dave

    | Everyone,
    |
    | Solved the problem by using Kixtart. After a bit of time to correct script
    | errors, I was able to "read" the pc name and use it in an "IF" statement.
    | Thanks for all the info everyone.
    |
    | "David H. Lipman" wrote:
    |
    | > Intead of using DOS Batch file programming, try a real interpreter such as Kixstart {
    | > http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare} and then you can use the readvalue() command to
    look
    | > in the Registry and you will find the computer name as in the script example below.

    $PCName=readvalue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\Computer
    | > Name", "ComputerName")
    | > if ($PCName = "The_name_looked_for")=1
    | > ; function to be performed
    | > endif
    | >

    | > --
    | > Dave
    | >

    | > "CG" <CG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | I am creating a batch file that needs to determine the Computer Name before
    | > | it runs. I have no problem with XP using "If %ComputerName% == xxxx. This
    | > | statement does not work with ME. I have tried numerous strings. Is there a
    | > | way to find the Computer Name? Thanks!

    I think that would have been James "Cagney"......and I think you are
    correct. Now you have to enlighten me about "shiznit".........sounds like a
    Jewish swear word. (if anyone here is Jewish, it's a
    joke......har........no offense intended). BTW, I loved the "first time I
    visited California last."
    Heirloom, old and thinks Imodium will cure the
    shiznits.

    > In news:eyDAKwWGFHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    > heirloom <heirloom@nospamatall.com> had this to say:
    >

    > > LOL. I don't remember where I picked that up and I, too, am an
    > > American, even worse, a Texan, by virtue of homestead. "Skinny" is
    > > a colloquial term for 'information'..........for example: "I'll give
    > > you the whole skinny later." Don't you have this warm feeling of
    > > enlightenment now? Heirloom, old and not so
    > > skinny
    >
    > Alas, I'm in Maine... Thus I'm not certain if it's enlightenment or Nyquil
    > because I have a cold. Either way I certainly have the warm feeling in my
    > belly. I seem to recall "Give me the skinny" in an old black and white
    > movie, James Carrey (spelling) perhaps? I'm not that big of a movie buff
    but
    > it sounds vaguely familiar and now that I think about it I might have
    heard
    > it in an old cartoon. Guess it's the generation gap thing. Then again, I
    was
    > completely lost when someone said something about shiznit and I was pretty
    > close to irate when someone called me "Dawg" (or is it Dog???) the first
    > time when I was out in California last. I guess there's a new generation
    gap
    > or perhaps by the time slang reaches Maine it's already too late to use
    it.

    > Galen
    >
    > --
    >
    > "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
    > the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
    > in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
    > stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
    > mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    Thanks, Ken, now we all have the real skinny.
    Heirloom, old and shiznit worries me

    "Justin Thyme" <krblmb@brainspring.com> wrote in message

    > "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > In news:eyDAKwWGFHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    > > heirloom <heirloom@nospamatall.com> had this to say:
    > >

    > > > LOL. I don't remember where I picked that up and I, too, am an
    > > > American, even worse, a Texan, by virtue of homestead. "Skinny" is
    > > > a colloquial term for 'information'..........for example: "I'll give
    > > > you the whole skinny later." Don't you have this warm feeling of
    > > > enlightenment now? Heirloom, old and not so
    > > > skinny
    > >
    > > Alas, I'm in Maine... Thus I'm not certain if it's enlightenment or
    Nyquil
    > > because I have a cold. Either way I certainly have the warm feeling in
    my
    > > belly. I seem to recall "Give me the skinny" in an old black and white
    > > movie, James Carrey (spelling) perhaps? I'm not that big of a movie buff
    > but
    > > it sounds vaguely familiar and now that I think about it I might have
    > heard
    > > it in an old cartoon. Guess it's the generation gap thing. Then again, I
    > was
    > > completely lost when someone said something about shiznit and I was
    pretty
    > > close to irate when someone called me "Dawg" (or is it Dog???) the first
    > > time when I was out in California last. I guess there's a new generation
    > gap
    > > or perhaps by the time slang reaches Maine it's already too late to use
    > it.
    > >
    > > Galen
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
    > > the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
    > > in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
    > > stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
    > > mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes
    > >

    > Please excuse my breaking in here to your discussion but slang has
    > fascinated me for many years (I recently tried to find the origin of
    > "worrywort" or, alternatively, "worrywart," with little success). About
    > "skinny," if you are interested in pursuing this any farther, go here:
    >
    > http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/17/messages/74.html
    >
    > where you'll find essentially what Heirloom has already said.
    >
    > Ken Bland

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shiznit

    http://www.brendonwilson.com/profile/000129.shtml

    BTW: It does sound like Yiddish, oy yey ;-)

    --
    Dave

    "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    | I think that would have been James "Cagney"......and I think you are
    | correct. Now you have to enlighten me about "shiznit".........sounds like a
    | Jewish swear word. (if anyone here is Jewish, it's a
    | joke......har........no offense intended). BTW, I loved the "first time I
    | visited California last."
    | Heirloom, old and thinks Imodium will cure the
    | shiznits.
    |
    | "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    | > In news:eyDAKwWGFHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    | > heirloom <heirloom@nospamatall.com> had this to say:
    | >

    | > > LOL. I don't remember where I picked that up and I, too, am an
    | > > American, even worse, a Texan, by virtue of homestead. "Skinny" is
    | > > a colloquial term for 'information'..........for example: "I'll give
    | > > you the whole skinny later." Don't you have this warm feeling of
    | > > enlightenment now? Heirloom, old and not so
    | > > skinny
    | >
    | > Alas, I'm in Maine... Thus I'm not certain if it's enlightenment or Nyquil
    | > because I have a cold. Either way I certainly have the warm feeling in my
    | > belly. I seem to recall "Give me the skinny" in an old black and white
    | > movie, James Carrey (spelling) perhaps? I'm not that big of a movie buff
    | but
    | > it sounds vaguely familiar and now that I think about it I might have
    | heard
    | > it in an old cartoon. Guess it's the generation gap thing. Then again, I
    | was
    | > completely lost when someone said something about shiznit and I was pretty
    | > close to irate when someone called me "Dawg" (or is it Dog???) the first
    | > time when I was out in California last. I guess there's a new generation
    | gap
    | > or perhaps by the time slang reaches Maine it's already too late to use
    | it.
    | >
    | > Galen
    | >
    | > --
    | >
    | > "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
    | > the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
    | > in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
    | > stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
    | > mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I'm in no way Yiddish, but, shouldn't that have been "oy vey?" Either way,
    it's the shiznit! In the words of the famous Paul Harvey, "....and now you
    know the rest of the skinny."
    Heirloom, old and something ain't quite right.

    BTW, I will be holding Mr. Jack Martinelli, MS-MVP, hostage, starting Friday
    morning. If anyone would like to contribute to his release fund...post back
    here. <g> Gonna keep him on a diet of cheap Texas wine and chili......talk
    about a pressurized cabin on his flight home!

    > http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shiznit
    >
    > http://www.brendonwilson.com/profile/000129.shtml
    >
    > BTW: It does sound like Yiddish, oy yey ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    >

    > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    > | I think that would have been James "Cagney"......and I think you are
    > | correct. Now you have to enlighten me about "shiznit".........sounds
    like a
    > | Jewish swear word. (if anyone here is Jewish, it's a
    > | joke......har........no offense intended). BTW, I loved the "first time
    > | visited California last."
    > | Heirloom, old and thinks Imodium will cure the
    > | shiznits.
    > |
    > | "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > | > In news:eyDAKwWGFHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    > | > heirloom <heirloom@nospamatall.com> had this to say:

    > | > Alas, I'm in Maine... Thus I'm not certain if it's enlightenment or
    Nyquil
    > | > because I have a cold. Either way I certainly have the warm feeling in
    my
    > | > belly. I seem to recall "Give me the skinny" in an old black and white
    > | > movie, James Carrey (spelling) perhaps? I'm not that big of a movie
    buff
    > | but
    > | > it sounds vaguely familiar and now that I think about it I might have
    > | heard
    > | > it in an old cartoon. Guess it's the generation gap thing. Then again,
    > | was
    > | > completely lost when someone said something about shiznit and I was
    pretty
    > | > close to irate when someone called me "Dawg" (or is it Dog???) the
    first
    > | > time when I was out in California last. I guess there's a new
    generation
    > | gap
    > | > or perhaps by the time slang reaches Maine it's already too late to
    use
    > | it.
    > | >
    > | > Galen
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | >
    > | > "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
    > | > the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
    > | > in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
    > | > stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
    > | > mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Yepper -- Typo city, I meant Oy vey ;-)

    --

    | I'm in no way Yiddish, but, shouldn't that have been "oy vey?" Either way,
    | it's the shiznit! In the words of the famous Paul Harvey, "....and now you
    | know the rest of the skinny."
    | Heirloom, old and something ain't quite right.
    |
    | BTW, I will be holding Mr. Jack Martinelli, MS-MVP, hostage, starting Friday
    | morning. If anyone would like to contribute to his release fund...post back
    | here. <g> Gonna keep him on a diet of cheap Texas wine and chili......talk
    | about a pressurized cabin on his flight home!
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    What??......no offerings for the release of Mr. Martinelli????
    Heirloom, old and may have to make more chili

    > Yepper -- Typo city, I meant Oy vey ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    >

    > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    > | I'm in no way Yiddish, but, shouldn't that have been "oy vey?" Either
    way,
    > | it's the shiznit! In the words of the famous Paul Harvey, "....and now
    you
    > | know the rest of the skinny."
    > | Heirloom, old and something ain't quite
    right.

    > | BTW, I will be holding Mr. Jack Martinelli, MS-MVP, hostage, starting
    Friday
    > | morning. If anyone would like to contribute to his release fund...post
    back
    > | here. <g> Gonna keep him on a diet of cheap Texas wine and
    chili......talk
    > | about a pressurized cabin on his flight home!

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > REGEDIT /E regtest.tmp
    > "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName"

    This wrapped and should be one line.

    Shane
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I'm impressed.
    Heirloom, old and easily amused

    "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > REGEDIT /E regtest.tmp
    > > "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName"
    >
    > This wrapped and should be one line.
    >

    > Shane

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    If you're feeding him chilli then he doesn't need a release fund - just a
    back-blast protector!

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > What??......no offerings for the release of Mr. Martinelli????
    > Heirloom, old and may have to make more chili

    >> Yepper -- Typo city, I meant Oy vey ;-)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dave
    >>

    >> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    >> | I'm in no way Yiddish, but, shouldn't that have been "oy vey?" Either
    > way,
    >> | it's the shiznit! In the words of the famous Paul Harvey, "....and now
    > you
    >> | know the rest of the skinny."
    >> | Heirloom, old and something ain't quite
    > right.
    >> |
    >> | BTW, I will be holding Mr. Jack Martinelli, MS-MVP, hostage, starting
    > Friday
    >> | morning. If anyone would like to contribute to his release fund...post
    > back
    >> | here. <g> Gonna keep him on a diet of cheap Texas wine and
    > chili......talk
    >> | about a pressurized cabin on his flight home!

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    <lol> And he could probably propel himself home without the need for an
    aeroplane <g>
    Joan

    Noel Paton wrote:
    > If you're feeding him chilli then he doesn't need a release fund - just a
    > back-blast protector!

Computers Microsoft Windows XP Windows