WIN XP is requiring password for network access. Why?

Tags:
  • Network Access
  • Networking
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 13, 2005 11:43:32 AM

(Networking is not one of my strengths. I didn't install any of this so
I am not sure how it was set up. The whole thing sounds like a security
nightmare to me, but that's not my problem.)

A friend is remotly monitoring cameras setup around his house
connected to a PC on his network.

Everything has been fine for months. He can view them from a PC on the
same home network (Netgear wireless) and also via the internet from his
laptop and cell phone card.

Viewing from a networked PC is still working, but access from the
internet is not working any more (nothing has been changed as far as
anyone can rememebr).

The remote viewing camera software (GEOVISION) is saying login failed.

When I tried to connect directly to the IP address (a static IP address
supplied by his ISP)with internet explorer I get a login box asking for
user name and password. This is nothing to do with the camera software
but something before we even get that far.

The login box says "netgear..." and some other stuff after it.

After all that long drawn out stuff, my actual question is. What part
of a Netgear setup could be asking for a password? How can I find out
where it's setup and stop it doing it. I'm not trying to hack into this
thing, I has full admin rights to the PC itself. I have looked at all
the networking settings but I can't see where any passwords are set up.
I tried the username and password of the current windows user, but that
didn't help.

If anyone could shed some light on this then thankyou from the bottom
of my heart :)

More about : win requiring password network access

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 3:42:34 PM

It sounds to me like you're hitting his router (which I'm assuming is a
Netgear). I would look into the documentation for the router, and forward
port 80 (if your device on the network needs web access to manage) to the
computer inside the network.

If you can post what type of router is being used I'll see if I can find you
some documentation on port forwarding

--
Patrick Elliott

Have you run WindowsUpdate lately?
Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to be sure Windows is up to date.

"William South" <cardiganboy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> (Networking is not one of my strengths. I didn't install any of this so
> I am not sure how it was set up. The whole thing sounds like a security
> nightmare to me, but that's not my problem.)
>

> A friend is remotly monitoring cameras setup around his house
> connected to a PC on his network.
>
> Everything has been fine for months. He can view them from a PC on the
> same home network (Netgear wireless) and also via the internet from his
> laptop and cell phone card.
>
> Viewing from a networked PC is still working, but access from the
> internet is not working any more (nothing has been changed as far as
> anyone can rememebr).
>
> The remote viewing camera software (GEOVISION) is saying login failed.
>
> When I tried to connect directly to the IP address (a static IP address
> supplied by his ISP)with internet explorer I get a login box asking for
> user name and password. This is nothing to do with the camera software
> but something before we even get that far.
>
> The login box says "netgear..." and some other stuff after it.
>
> After all that long drawn out stuff, my actual question is. What part
> of a Netgear setup could be asking for a password? How can I find out
> where it's setup and stop it doing it. I'm not trying to hack into this
> thing, I has full admin rights to the PC itself. I have looked at all
> the networking settings but I can't see where any passwords are set up.
> I tried the username and password of the current windows user, but that
> didn't help.
>
> If anyone could shed some light on this then thankyou from the bottom
> of my heart :)

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 3:03:06 AM

Or makesure all firewalls are disabled, pc and router.
July 18, 2005 7:14:43 PM

You should go to each computer and check if the IP address matches one of
the computers. or if the wireless network has WEP or WPA Security enabled,
enter the password for that.
"William South" <cardiganboy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> (Networking is not one of my strengths. I didn't install any of this so
> I am not sure how it was set up. The whole thing sounds like a security
> nightmare to me, but that's not my problem.)
>

> A friend is remotly monitoring cameras setup around his house
> connected to a PC on his network.
>
> Everything has been fine for months. He can view them from a PC on the
> same home network (Netgear wireless) and also via the internet from his
> laptop and cell phone card.
>
> Viewing from a networked PC is still working, but access from the
> internet is not working any more (nothing has been changed as far as
> anyone can rememebr).
>
> The remote viewing camera software (GEOVISION) is saying login failed.
>
> When I tried to connect directly to the IP address (a static IP address
> supplied by his ISP)with internet explorer I get a login box asking for
> user name and password. This is nothing to do with the camera software
> but something before we even get that far.
>
> The login box says "netgear..." and some other stuff after it.
>
> After all that long drawn out stuff, my actual question is. What part
> of a Netgear setup could be asking for a password? How can I find out
> where it's setup and stop it doing it. I'm not trying to hack into this
> thing, I has full admin rights to the PC itself. I have looked at all
> the networking settings but I can't see where any passwords are set up.
> I tried the username and password of the current windows user, but that
> didn't help.
>
> If anyone could shed some light on this then thankyou from the bottom
> of my heart :)

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 7:05:04 AM

The router is an NETGEAR Super Wireless ADSL Router DG834GT

On the password request box It's headed NETGEAR DG834GT so it must be
the actual router asking for the password and not one of the PC's on
the network.

I'm looking at the router setup page via a browser but I can't see
anywhere that a password can be setup. The only passwords I can see is
for connection to the internet.
!