Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Family Pack

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
March 3, 2011 6:18:34 PM

I was planning on installing 7 on my desktop and laptop. I have seen a Family pack 7 home permium copy at costco for up to three computers.

My question is they say upgrade, will I be able to do a full install or will it just upgrade vista to 7 ?

What is the point if you don't start from scratch nice and clean.

I am a bit of a newb with this stuff but learning everyday.

Would I be better off buying individual copies might even buy OEM

More about : windows family pack

March 3, 2011 9:38:43 PM

Bump
m
l
March 3, 2011 9:38:58 PM

yes, the family pack is 3 upgrade licenses and not full retail versions. it's up to you how you would like to purchase the OS, but I would say go with the full version.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 3, 2011 10:37:33 PM

MrLiLLs said:
I was planning on installing 7 on my desktop and laptop. I have seen a Family pack 7 home permium copy at costco for up to three computers.

My question is they say upgrade, will I be able to do a full install or will it just upgrade vista to 7 ?

What is the point if you don't start from scratch nice and clean.

I am a bit of a newb with this stuff but learning everyday.

Would I be better off buying individual copies might even buy OEM

The family pack is a great bargain. I have used it.

Yes, it is an upgrade package, and is considered as retail(vs. oem) for which you get MS support and transferability.

You have two ways to install:

1) If you are upgrading a os, using the same 32 or 64 bit addressing, then boot into your old os, and run the install from the dvd. Of course, you have first protected yourself in case anything should go wrong.

2) If, you want to change from 32 bit to 64 bit, then method 1 won't work. You must boot from the 64 bit dvd and do a clean install. Do not enter the product code or activate. You then have a valid 64 bit w7 for 30 days to test things out. Activation should work properly, I think because w7 has detected the old os before installing. If, for some reason the old os is no longer available, you may have to reinstall again, using method 1 in order for the upgrade activation code to work properly.

m
l
!